PDA

View Full Version : 2019 FA Shopping - Round 2

Mojouw
03-15-2019, 11:08 AM
So let's play GM for another round. The first wave is done. Who would you sign if given the keys for a day? Keep in mind that guys that were released do NOT count for the comp pick formula. Also no one counts for comp picks after May 8. Draft is April 25. So this round may stretch out...

If I was going to sign from the following position groups, I would look at the following:
RB - TJ Yeldon
TE - see if Eifert wants one of those bargain one year "prove it deals".
LB - Zach Brown. Some reports that he was troublesome communicating with teammates and coaches, but his production was pretty legit. Plus he is a cut, so doesn't count for the comp formula.
OLB - Houston, Clay Matthews, or take a gamble on a youngish guy such as Harold, Ray, or Barrett.
S - Eric Berry. Doesn't count against the comp formula. Is a total role of the dice and may never be fully healthy again. But throw some money at him on a one-year deal. Davis and Berry play safetey and Edmunds plays dimebacker. It would be a lavish use of resources at one position group BUT it may go a long way towards covering up for the lack of an ILB.

steelreserve
03-15-2019, 11:31 AM
All pretty good ideas, the main one I would be a bit hesitant about is Berry, because he has the "name" status to get significant money, but perhaps the biggest injury risk of the bunch, that goes beyond just bad luck. Would consider us very lucky to get a full season out of him and would probably have to pay him highly for 3 at least.

Out of the OLBs, Barrett holds the most intrigue for me ... Seemed like he was decently effective and then fell out of favor just ... because ... and could be a hidden value. Or maybe not, but at this point maybe he won't cost a fortune, which is the only way I see us adding to the pile of cash already invested in that one shitty OLB position.

Like, if it's $7M for one of these guys - well, then we've got $20M tied up in two shitty players and a question mark, so why didn't we just trade for Aaron Donald or Khalil Mack if we wanted a better pass rush.

Mojouw
03-15-2019, 11:39 AM
Uh...Donald was never available. And Steelers were never going to give up the multiple first round picks that Mack did cost. I mean I guess as long as we are presenting fantasy scenarios as equivalent alternatives, then Colbert really dropped the ball when he didn't trade Antonio Brown and some pick swaps for Khalil Mack. What a moron. In fact, since Conley was out of favor at the time with the Raiders - it should've been AB/Burns/Dupree/draft picks for Mack/Conley/draft picks. Everyone knows this. I just can't believe how poorly this team is run.

steelreserve
03-15-2019, 11:47 AM
Well, anyone is available for the right price, but that was mostly a rhetorical question.

Still worth mentioning, though, the distinct possibility that THAT is where we end up for $20 million. Or for that matter, $40 million for that plus no player. You do not get there without making some bad mistakes.

Mojouw
03-15-2019, 12:21 PM
But, again, you are setting up a comparison between a tangible reality (Dupree/Chickillo/FA Agent Dice Roll) against a completely imaginary other potential outcome (Mack/Donald/Von Miller/Whatever).

I mean if we want to just dream up possibilities, we can come up with a timeline where a series of decisions were made over the last 3-5 seasons that result in the Steelers having a starting 22 of ALL-PROs at every single position.

Rotorhead
03-15-2019, 12:32 PM
I don’t know who all is available (I don’t care enough to look it up) so I will just say if we can pick up some depth at ILB that doesn’t totally suck I would be happy with that. I think Houston would be an interesting idea, but not sure he would be that much of an improvement over Dupree at this stage in his career. Since I think we will draft Bush, we still need an upgrade at CB and OLB in the very near future, so if there are any FA’s that would fit those positions as either an upgrade or at minimum even production we should go for that as well.

Hound
03-15-2019, 03:08 PM
Jamie Collins, Stephen Anthony at ILB. Eifert, Seferian Jenkins at TE, Jernigan, Shelton at DT. A few players I wouldn’t mind if the price was right

86WARD
03-15-2019, 06:36 PM
Everyone of those players makes sense. Nothing wrong with any of those. I really like Eifert for that deal. I’d put a waiver claim in on Tyreek Hill as well...lol.

hawaiiansteeler
03-15-2019, 06:47 PM
I’d put a waiver claim in on Tyreek Hill as well...lol.

Hill broke his young son's arm, he's a real POS.

BlackAndGold
03-15-2019, 06:53 PM

Not shocking, this is the same guy that choked his pregnant girlfriend until she turned blue.

**** that guy.

Shoes
03-15-2019, 06:55 PM
Eifert is a walking casualty.

hawaiiansteeler
03-15-2019, 07:03 PM
Eifert is a walking casualty.

Butler is game-planning for him as we speak...

Shoes
03-15-2019, 08:07 PM
Butler is game-planning for him as we speak...

He better start game planning for the Browns as we speak.

hawaiiansteeler
03-15-2019, 08:09 PM
He better start game planning for the Browns as we speak.

already done, we're going to cover OBJ 1 on 1 all over the field with Jon Bostic.

Shoes
03-15-2019, 08:10 PM
already done, we're going to cover OBJ 1 on 1 all over the field with Jon Bostic.

:lol:

teegre
03-15-2019, 08:21 PM
Trade our #1 for Julio Jones & Vic Beasley.

hawaiiansteeler
03-15-2019, 08:36 PM

let's offer them a 3rd and a 5th...

teegre
03-15-2019, 08:53 PM
let's offer them a 3rd and a 5th...

:applaudit: You win!!!

BlackAndGold
03-15-2019, 09:10 PM
https://media.tenor.com/images/035ff3f32e7eacb776a71aea4e2256a6/tenor.gif

Born2Steel
03-16-2019, 10:23 AM
I think we got some pieces we needed in FA. That's enough for me. FA building is for short term, you must build through the draft for long term success. Yes, you can and will hit on some FA moves. It is sort of like building with JUCO players at the college level. Take the best of players that excelled somewhere else and try to make them fit and have the same success in your system. Even when it works it is short lived. Adding one more DB is about all I would be interested in at this point.

teegre
03-16-2019, 11:25 AM
I wish Eric Berry was healthy. Not even for the Steelers... just in general.

Coming out of college, I thought we’d get to enjoy a Troy Polamalu/Ed Reed type of career. Alas...

DesertSteel
03-16-2019, 03:04 PM
I wouldn't mind a one-year Clay Matthews deal to see what he's got left.

Shoes
03-16-2019, 03:20 PM
I wouldn't mind a one-year Clay Matthews deal to see what he's got left.

Agreed, I go for that.

86WARD
03-16-2019, 03:32 PM

I was joking about Hill. If he’s not suspended for life (which he should be if found guilty), some team will sign him...lol. It’s the NFL way.

86WARD
03-16-2019, 03:32 PM

1, 3, 5, 6, 7. Done deal.

Method28
03-17-2019, 11:17 AM
I wouldn't mind a one-year Clay Matthews deal to see what he's got left.Uh I'd personally feel not so good about that. My best buds team is GB so we watched every game last year.... matthews looked pretty done lol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mojouw
03-17-2019, 11:32 AM
He does look cooked as a starter. But looks to still have juice as a situational pass rusher. Should've beem clearer.

TD's & Beer
03-19-2019, 02:48 PM
We need more money for FAs

Steelers restructure LB Vince Williams’ deal to create cap space

The Pittsburgh Steelers have started restructuring contracts in order to create salary cap room for 2019, and NFL Network reported that linebacker Vince Williams recently had his deal altered.

Williams helped the Steelers create almost $2.9 million in cap room by having his base salary reduced to $805,000 and having a roster bonus and almost $4.3 million in salary converted into a signing bonus.

Because of the restructuring, the Steelers are $7.2 million under the salary cap, according to spotrac.com. That figure apparently does not include the salary to inside linebacker Mark Barron, who signed a two-year, $12 million contract over the weekend.

The Steelers will need to clear more cap room because they will need $8.15 million to sign their 10 draft picks.

Also, wide receiver Donte Moncrief’s contract is worth $9 million over two seasons. He received a $3.5 million signing bonus and will have a $1.5 million base salary in 2019. Moncrief will earn $3.5 million with a $500,000 roster bonus in 2020.

When the Barron signing becomes official, the Steelers could counter it by releasing safety Morgan Burnett. That move would save $3.6 million on the salary cap.

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers...williams-deal/ (https://triblive.com/sports/steelers-create-salary-cap-room-by-restructuring-ilb-vince-williams-deal/)

---------------------

Keep working, another FA would be nice