DesertSteel
03-12-2019, 11:42 PM
Beware...... reported by Rap

hawaiiansteeler
03-12-2019, 11:59 PM
Report: Le'Veon Bell Agrees to Four-Year, $52.5 Million Deal With Jets

SPORTS ILLUSTRATED
By KAELEN JONES March 13, 2019

https://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/mm/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn-s3.si.com%2Fs3fs-public%2Fstyles%2Fmarquee_large_2x%2Fpublic%2F2019 %2F03%2F13%2Fbell_jets_hp.jpg%3Fitok%3DxOnuYTw8&w=800&q=85

Free-agent running back Le'Veon Bell has reportedly agreed to sign with the New York Jets, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on Tuesday.

According to Schefter, Bell's contract is a four-year, $52.5 million deal. The deal has a max value of $61 million and includes $35 million guaranteed. Bell expressed his excitement following news of the deal.

to read rest of article:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/13/leveon-bell-contract-agreement-jets

Psycho Ward 86
03-13-2019, 12:08 AM
thats literally only $2 million more per year guaranteed than we offered him. and we offered him $14 million a year vs. $13.125 million a year from the jets. Factor in the whopping $14million plus that he lost out on by sitting out and its an absolute certainty that he lost out on a lot of money regardless of anything else that happens

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
03-13-2019, 12:09 AM
At least we now know Bell and Brown will never own a SB Ring unless they buy one from Rick at Pawn Stars.

steelreserve
03-13-2019, 12:11 AM
Seems Mr. Bell-Einstein cost himself about $18 million by turning down the 5-year, $70-million offer we made, since both contracts will finish at the same time. Hope you had fun.

Crap, that's still more than $12M a year, isn't it. Guess I'd better start doing "Tom Brady gay" searches in Google Images for an avatar. Glad they have incognito mode.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
03-13-2019, 12:16 AM
Seems Mr. Bell-Einstein cost himself about $18 million by turning down the 5-year, $70-million offer we made, since both contracts will finish at the same time. Hope you had fun.

Crap, that's still more than $12M a year, isn't it. Guess I'd better start doing "Tom Brady gay" searches in Google Images for an avatar. Glad they have incognito mode. To funny bro.

hawaiiansteeler
03-13-2019, 02:10 AM

Crap, that's still more than $12M a year, isn't it. Guess I'd better start doing "Tom Brady gay" searches in Google Images for an avatar. Glad they have incognito mode.

love your new avatar, you have great taste in men :flap:

Craic
03-13-2019, 03:18 AM

Yes and no. Remember, his whole thing was absolute guaranteed money. Only 10 mill was absolutely guaranteed on the Steelers offer. It seems here, 35 mill is absolutely guaranteed. So, he got what he wanted, or at least part of it.

My big thing is . . . why would a team give that much to a player who is not willing to bet on himself lasting five more years?

stillers4me
03-13-2019, 05:45 AM

JayC
03-13-2019, 05:46 AM
yeah this dumbass lost out on a lot of money by sitting out. good

stillers4me
03-13-2019, 05:48 AM

- - - Updated - - -

pczach
03-13-2019, 05:53 AM

That's real courage you're showing by posting that terrifying pic so quickly to honor the bet.

A lesser man may have bailed on this message board......or I might have cried a little bit. :Cry:

AtlantaDan
03-13-2019, 06:57 AM
Bakari going to get roasted for this

From linked ESPN story & video, as Schefter tries to avoid burning Bakari as a future source of nuggets

Schefter: There was not a lot out there
Scott Van Pelt: So what did he accomplish?
Schefter: He got the best deal he could Scott
Van Pelt: Understood, but you didn't play last year for 14
Schefter: But that's a different story - that ship sailed

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26243380/bell-plans-join-jets-4-years-525m

Yes and no. Remember, his whole thing was absolute guaranteed money. Only 10 mill was absolutely guaranteed on the Steelers offer. It seems here, 35 mill is absolutely guaranteed. So, he got what he wanted, or at least part of it.

My big thing is . . . why would a team give that much to a player who is not willing to bet on himself lasting five more years?

No doubt Bakari will be contending the Jets offer was overwhelmingly superior to what the Steelers offered based on what was "absolutely" as opposed to de facto guaranteed - good luck with that

The initial "only $10 million guaranteed" figure floated in a tweet last summer by Rapoport was presumably from Bakari, who Florio is calling out as a liar this morning.

Rapoport later backed off that initial tweet regarding the alleged amount that was guaranteed

According to Rapoport, the Steelers offer was $70 million over 5 years with $33 million guaranteed and a total of $45 million over the first 3 years.

https://steelcityblitz.com/breaking-down-the-steelers-offer-to-leveon-bell/

(http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26243380/bell-plans-join-jets-4-years-525m)

Michael
03-13-2019, 07:15 AM
I hope in two years the Steelers look very smart with both disloyal layers not performing as the foolish teams expected. This is a real possibility.

st33lersguy
03-13-2019, 07:15 AM
All that for nothing. And your production is about to plummet

steelerdude15
03-13-2019, 07:27 AM
I think its pretty clear that Bell and his agent are both idiots. I'm glad we don't have to deal with Bell again until we play the Jets later this year.

EzraTank
03-13-2019, 08:08 AM
I love it. Bell and Brown on two horrible teams. Now let's see them put their Superman capes on and win. Man will the grass still be greener?

tube517
03-13-2019, 08:22 AM
Let's see if he passes his next piss test.

J-E-T-Suspension!!!!

86WARD
03-13-2019, 08:25 AM

- - - Updated - - -

Extra funny now because it looks like his deal tops out at around $61M...

86WARD
03-13-2019, 08:26 AM
AB - “right way” to get a raise...

LB - “wrong way” to get.a “raise”...

munchy
03-13-2019, 09:10 AM
so far this is the only sorta steeler related news that hasnt bummed me out the past year................bell is a moron

AtlantaDan
03-13-2019, 09:25 AM
Heckuva job by Le'Veon and Bakari :thumbsup:

Le’Veon Bell becomes a Jet, reinforces the plight of NFL running backs

What was principle worth to Le’Veon Bell? It ended up costing him millions of dollars, and if taking a stand against the Pittsburgh Steelers mattered to him more than the dough, more power to him — he can rightfully, stubbornly claim victory. Strictly as a financial strategy, Bell’s season-long holdout failed....

From a purely monetary outlook, Bell’s decision backfired, which is what most everyone in the game expected. The Sports & Entertainment Group, Bell’s agency, “has the hardest job in the NFL,” a fellow agent said before free agency’s start. Bell had a threshold he needed to meet to validate his year-long hiatus, but the demand for running backs — especially 27-year-olds with more than 1,500 career touches — left no realistic chance he could....

The Indianapolis Colts, who showed no apparent interest in Bell, provide an example of how teams view running backs in free agency. The Colts currently use three running backs, Marlon Mack, Nyheim Hines and Jordan Wilkins, all of whom are entering their second or third year, were picked in the fourth and fifth round and make less than $1 million per season. The Colts had more nearly $100 million available....

The message to running backs: Your job can be done on the cheap, by players who have fresh legs that teams view as interchangeable.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/03/13/leveon-bell-becomes-jet-reinforces-plight-nfl-running-backs/?utm_term=.7cbb8b5c5a84

steelreserve
03-13-2019, 10:15 AM
That's real courage you're showing by posting that terrifying pic so quickly to honor the bet.

A lesser man may have bailed on this message board......or I might have cried a little bit. :Cry:

I'm actually disappointed, last time I had a reason to search for "Tom Brady gay," there was a really good photoshopped picture that came up that looked like he was actually banging a dude. But either it got taken down or I have the search term wrong. Gonna have to expand the search to things like "Tom Brady goatse" and "Tom Brady lemon party." Which I'm certain will also yield results to a certain thread on this message board from a couple years ago. And eventually, now this one!

がんばります!!!

AtlantaDan
03-13-2019, 10:36 AM
Nice that someone is willing to step up and spin this as a victory for Bell and Bakari:sofunny:

Le’Veon Bell Lit Some Cash on Fire, but It Was Never About the Money

At one point in The Dark Knight, Heath Ledger’s Joker lights a pile of money the size of a bodega on fire....

“It’s not about money,” the Joker says. “It’s about sending a message.”

Le’Veon Bell is the NFL’s Joker....

Many will point to Bell’s efforts over the past year and call them an abject failure, and Bell himself has been called many things—selfish, stupid, and much worse. If his attempt is viewed solely through the lens of maximizing his career earnings, it was a failure. But if people had listened to what he has said throughout this process (and you don’t have to parse his new rap album (https://twitter.com/LeVeonBell/status/1105513006442692611) to do so), they would know that this has always been about sending a message....

Bell is not going to make up the $14.5 million he lost. But he had the opportunity to send a message, and he tried, though the message was clearly lost in translation.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/3/13/18263367/leveon-bell-new-york-jets-gamble-new-contract-steelers-holdout

DesertSteel
03-13-2019, 10:47 AM
"It was never about the money for Bell" -- Lol... especially since he came out behind!! Jets still overpaid. Credit to the Colts and Ravens who acted wisely. The Jets are a dumpster organization and the team will be looking to unload Bell within 2 years.

Fire Goodell
03-13-2019, 11:09 AM
So let me get this straight, he took less money to play for a perennial loser, lol. Big L by Bell here.

Sure, a little more guaranteed money, but he wasn't willing to take a bet on himself for 4 years? That doesn't necessarily scream confidence and maybe those kind of weak minded people don't belong with the Steelers

Bell caved in plain and simple! If we offered this contract to him, he would have ripped it up and thrown it back at us laughing. So much for the Steelers being 'cheap' lol :chuckle: Wasn't our offer more generous than this? It seems that if he even lasted 2-3 years he would have came out ahead, which isn't bad odds considering the caliber of player he was.

Mojouw
03-13-2019, 11:13 AM
Steelers need to figure out somehow if the burning need for specifically up-front guaranteed cash was/is a Bell and Brown thing, or if it is part of a trend among players across the league. If it is, they may have to strongly reconsider how they do things. I am specifically thinking with Juju and Watt, who could be looking at early extensions with the team as soon as this next off-season.

Steelers have typically enticed players with longer deals worth a good deal of money. Maybe shorter deals, less overall but more guaranteed is what players want now?

Fire Goodell
03-13-2019, 11:22 AM
Steelers need to figure out somehow if the burning need for specifically up-front guaranteed cash was/is a Bell and Brown thing, or if it is part of a trend among players across the league. If it is, they may have to strongly reconsider how they do things. I am specifically thinking with Juju and Watt, who could be looking at early extensions with the team as soon as this next off-season.

Steelers have typically enticed players with longer deals worth a good deal of money. Maybe shorter deals, less overall but more guaranteed is what players want now?

I don't think this is the case, but Bell will say it is. His ego won't allow him to say he took an L, but plain and simple he bet on himself and lost. He wanted guaranteed money but also 15-17M per year. When he found out he couldn't get that much + guaranteed, his agent probably convinced him to just take the best offer and play, otherwise there'd be no takers. Sooner or later he'd come back because he needs to get that money.

AFAIK, his agent accepted the deal we offered him 2 years ago, but his dumb ass was the one who said no and started this whole mess.

Mojouw
03-13-2019, 11:30 AM
I don't think this is the case, but Bell will say it is. His ego won't allow him to say he took an L, but plain and simple he bet on himself and lost. He wanted guaranteed money but also 15-17M per year. When he found out he couldn't get that much + guaranteed, his agent probably convinced him to just take the best offer and play, otherwise there'd be no takers. Sooner or later he'd come back because he needs to get that money.

AFAIK, his agent accepted the deal we offered him 2 years ago, but his dumb ass was the one who said no and started this whole mess.

All true. But, while I have by no means looked at the terms of the recent contracts across the league, it seems guys are making more and more statements about guaranteed cash and not #of years or total value. I remember not all that long ago, it was all about total value and/or length of deal. Which teams then used to make "funny money" contracts. Players may have finally gotten wise to that and realized that 5 year deal is really only a 2 year deal with 3 team options...

Again, I don't know because it is too hard to use Twitter and the loud statements from a small # of players as a barometer for the league. But I don't get paid to know this stuff. Colbert and his minions do.

AtlantaDan
03-13-2019, 11:34 AM

I believe they need to follow the rest of the league and guarantee more of the contract, but in hindsight they were dealing with two players who were going to be a problem in any negotiation

It appears a big part of what was upsetting Brown was he just wanted more $$$ midway through the contract after the OBJ deal - it was not as if the Steelers were going to release him during his contract absent a Shazier type injury - not certain how you can deal with that since the going rate for the top of the pyramid increases every year as the cap increases. Add to that Brown might want/need more of the contract paid out upfront again given his cavalier way with cash.

Bell was simply convinced the Steelers as oppressor robber barons would not pay him market rate, which Bakari fed with the legacy of struggle/social warrior for justice bullshit, and found out to the contrary - he reportedly got $35 million guaranteed from the Jets while Rapoport last summer said the Steelers offer included $33 million guaranteed with $45 million payable in the first three years

Mojouw
03-13-2019, 11:39 AM
I believe they need to follow the rest of the league and guarantee more of the contract, but in hindsight they were dealing with two players who were going to be a problem in any negotiation

It appears a big part of what was upsetting Brown was he just wanted more $$$ midway through the contract after the OBJ deal - it was not as if the Steelers were going to release him during his contract absent a Shazier type injury - not certain how you can deal with that since the going rate for the top of the pyramid increases every year as the cap increases. Add to that Brown might want/need more of the contract paid out upfront again given his cavalier way with cash.

Bell was simply convinced the Steelers as oppressor robber barons would not pay him market rate, which Bakari fed with the legacy of struggle/social warrior for justice bullshit, and found out to the contrary - he reportedly got $35 million guaranteed from the Jets while Rapoport last summer said the Steelers offer included $33 million guaranteed with $45 million payable in the first three years

Agree with all of that as well. Honestly, I remember reading somewhere that Aaron Rodgers and his camp proposed a salary structure that scaled with the cap on a yearly basis. While it was an innovative idea that got rejected by the Packers, it might go a long way towards keeping these contracts for star players from become outdated a season after they are signed.

But as I have posted elsewhere, the NFL is such a change averse environment that I don't see any teams that would be willing to be the first to try something radically new out.

hawaiiansteeler
04-23-2019, 06:09 PM
Le'Veon Bell reportedly a no-show at Jets' voluntary minicamp just weeks after signing huge contract

The Jets biggest free agent signing wasn't on the field for their first official practice of the offseason

by John Breech

If the New York Jets thought a $52.5 million contract was going to be enough to get Le'Veon Bell to show up to voluntary minicamp this offseason, they thought wrong.

to read rest of article:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/leveon-bell-reportedly-a-no-show-at-jets-voluntary-minicamp-just-weeks-after-signing-huge-contract/

steelreserve
04-23-2019, 06:58 PM
Le'Veon Bell reportedly a no-show at Jets' voluntary minicamp just weeks after signing huge contract

The Jets biggest free agent signing wasn't on the field for their first official practice of the offseason

by John Breech

If the New York Jets thought a $52.5 million contract was going to be enough to get Le'Veon Bell to show up to voluntary minicamp this offseason, they thought wrong.

to read rest of article:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/leveon-bell-reportedly-a-no-show-at-jets-voluntary-minicamp-just-weeks-after-signing-huge-contract/

Three days after 4/20 that guy's not going to be anywhere NEAR an official team facility. You gotta give him at least another 30 days.

Dwinsgames
04-23-2019, 07:12 PM
Three days after 4/20 that guy's not going to be anywhere NEAR an official team facility. You gotta give him at least another 30 days.

so true but dayum when do you get to lose that horrible avatar

st33lersguy
04-23-2019, 07:20 PM
:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

EzraTank
04-23-2019, 09:05 PM
So glad he's the Jets problem now.

steelreserve
04-24-2019, 01:10 AM
so true but dayum when do you get to lose that horrible avatar

Oh yeah! Shit, that was 4/20 also (4/19 was the last day). I had become so numb to it that I forgot all about it.

hawaiiansteeler
04-24-2019, 01:48 AM
Oh yeah! Shit, that was 4/20 also (4/19 was the last day). I had become so numb to it that I forgot all about it.

you're a man of your word, in a way you were right because Le'Veon did receive a lot lower contract than he had hoped for...

pczach
04-24-2019, 05:47 AM

You're the only one that was numb to it! :sofunny:

DesertSteel
11-16-2021, 12:16 PM
Bell cut by the Ravens today.

hawaiiansteeler
11-16-2021, 12:37 PM
Bell cut by the Ravens today.

that's gotta be the end of Le'Veon's NFL career.

DesertSteel
11-16-2021, 12:43 PM
Now he can focus on rapping and jet skying.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-16-2021, 01:10 PM
He earned $45 million over his career, so at least he should have some funds to pursue whatever may be next.

dislocatedday
11-16-2021, 01:19 PM
that's gotta be the end of Le'Veon's NFL career.

I agree. I can't see him playing again elsewhere unless he really commits himself to getting if top shape and being prepared to play football. I don't know LeVeon or his motivations in life, but it appears to me that he no longer really cared about professional football once he got the big contract from the Jets with guaranteed money.

DesertSteel
11-16-2021, 01:37 PM
He earned $45 million over his career, so at least he should have some funds to pursue whatever may be next.
One can hope that he saved some of it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-16-2021, 01:58 PM
One can hope that he saved some of it. Yes, that can be the issue with a lot of pro athletes. Good representation and good planning can be their best friend.

Darrius Heyward Bey was reportedly a guy that lived well within his means and managed his finances well. Something about him driving a used GM sedan as his primary vehicle and living modestly.

I have no ill will to Bell. Enjoyed his time as a Steeler and never blamed him for wanting to get a long term contract and one of value. He just over negotiated himself and lost focus on football by focusing too much on his contract.

Fire Goodell
11-16-2021, 02:57 PM
Now he can focus on rapping and jet skying.

he should find another passion because he sure aint gonna find success in the rap game, he sucks at it

Shoes
11-16-2021, 03:00 PM
Yes, that can be the issue with a lot of pro athletes. Good representation and good planning can be their best friend.

Darrius Heyward Bey was reportedly a guy that lived well within his means and managed his finances well. Something about him driving a used GM sedan as his primary vehicle and living modestly.

I have no ill will to Bell. Enjoyed his time as a Steeler and never blamed him for wanting to get a long term contract and one of value. He just over negotiated himself and lost focus on football by focusing too much on his contract.

His mother watched over the books. :chuckle:

86WARD
11-16-2021, 03:02 PM
Bell was a fun player to watch while he was in Pittsburgh.

pczach
11-16-2021, 03:31 PM
Bell was a fun player to watch while he was in Pittsburgh.

No doubt

steelreserve
11-16-2021, 04:41 PM

No doubt at least a few million is earmarked for a failed record label.

st33lersguy
11-16-2021, 04:56 PM
Back when the QB and O-line play on this team helped elevate whoever was at RB. Hopefully they can get back to that soon

Fire Goodell
11-16-2021, 05:03 PM
No doubt at least a few million is earmarked for a failed record label.

and child support for 6 different women lol

86WARD
11-16-2021, 05:47 PM

Meh…so he got laid a lot…he’s got the money for the kids…lol. If he knows them all…

steelreserve
11-16-2021, 08:18 PM
Meh…so he got laid a lot…he’s got the money for the kids…lol. If he knows them all…

I don't know ... child support for pro athletes seems to be set up so that you are paying each kid's mom as if she was in the NFL. Like, $30k-$50k a month each would not surprise me if they negotiated it stupidly while he was earning the most (which I have no doubt he did). Keep an eye out for him in a few years, arguing he doesn't have enough money to pay it.

teegre
11-16-2021, 09:57 PM
Yes, that can be the issue with a lot of pro athletes. Good representation and good planning can be their best friend.

DHB’s mom is a financial planner. He has budgeted his yearly-spending based on the interest from his rookie signing bonus/rookie deal ($9 million). Even at 1% interest, his income is $90,000 per year.

fansince'76
11-17-2021, 02:03 AM
I agree. I can't see him playing again elsewhere unless he really commits himself to getting if top shape and being prepared to play football..

The guy is turning 30 in three months. It's over.

I have no ill will to Bell. Enjoyed his time as a Steeler and never blamed him for wanting to get a long term contract and one of value.

Especially since it was the Steelers who drank the cream with this guy as he hasn't done squat since he left.

Between that and his "posse" I'm sure that $45 mil is gonna last...

Le'Veon, Le'Veon likes his money
He made a lot, they say
Spends his days countin'
In a garage by the motorway...

(One more "Levon" reference for the road before the guy fades into total obscurity - with apologies to Elton John and Bernie Taupin)

:chuckle:

Crow-Magnon
11-17-2021, 09:25 AM
That “hesitate, wait and find the hole” style works…when you have a decent OL. It sounds like Bell was a decent fit in the clubhouse, but he didn’t do much on the field.

fansince'76
11-17-2021, 09:36 AM
I don't know ... child support for pro athletes seems to be set up so that you are paying each kid's mom as if she was in the NFL. Like, $30k-$50k a month each would not surprise me if they negotiated it stupidly while he was earning the most (which I have no doubt he did). Keep an eye out for him in a few years, arguing he doesn't have enough money to pay it.

Yep, he will literally be drained of all his money. And then when he's flat broke, the kids will suffer. The only ones who make out on these cases are the attorneys.

hawaiiansteeler
11-17-2021, 02:48 PM
the Steelers and Chiefs? is this writer smoking crack?

3 Potential Landing Spots For Le’Veon Bell

https://www.thecoldwire.com/potential-landing-spots-for-leveon-bell/

Fire Goodell
11-17-2021, 02:52 PM
yeah futures contract, stick him on the practice squad :chuckle:

Though in all seriousness he has to be better than Benny Snell

hawaiiansteeler
11-17-2021, 02:53 PM
yeah futures contract, stick him on the practice squad :chuckle:

Though in all seriousness he has to be better than Benny Snell

Benny Snail

86WARD
11-17-2021, 03:45 PM
I’d take Bell over Snell in a second. What’s McFarlands deal? Is he healthy scratch or injured?

fansince'76
11-17-2021, 06:40 PM
I’d take Bell over Snell in a second.

Agreed.