PDA

View Full Version : Steelers and free agent CB Steven Nelson agreed to terms on a 3-year deal

BlackAndGold
03-12-2019, 06:28 PM

86WARD
03-12-2019, 06:29 PM
I imagine that was the deal they offered Roby as well. Seems pretty standard.

BlackAndGold
03-12-2019, 06:30 PM

pczach
03-12-2019, 06:31 PM
I'll take it. Great news!

That's a pretty reasonable number for a good, young corner in this market.

BlackAndGold
03-12-2019, 06:42 PM
PPF rated Nelson a top 5 FA corner.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-top-10-free-agent-cornerbacks-in-2019

(FWIW, Roby was #6)

Hound
03-12-2019, 06:42 PM
Solid move, now let’s go get a Devin

Dwinsgames
03-12-2019, 06:51 PM
I like it

- - - Updated - - -

Mojouw
03-12-2019, 06:54 PM
I never thought they would get him. Him and Darby were the cream of this years FA crop.

BlackAndGold
03-12-2019, 06:56 PM

EzraTank
03-12-2019, 06:59 PM
Well the Chiefs did have a great pass defense. I'm sure it ranked in the 30's right? We'll coach em' up though!

stillers4me
03-12-2019, 06:59 PM

Dwinsgames
03-12-2019, 07:03 PM

Hound
03-12-2019, 07:04 PM
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-steven-nelson-has-risen-to-the-challenge-as-the-highest-targeted-
cornerback-in-the-nfl (https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-steven-nelson-has-risen-to-the-challenge-as-the-highest-targeted-cornerback-in-the-nfl)
im sold

BlackAndGold
03-12-2019, 07:04 PM
Nelson's draft profile

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/steven-nelson?id=2552265

Fire Goodell
03-12-2019, 07:20 PM
SUPERBOWL

86WARD
03-12-2019, 07:25 PM
The Browns just nullified the Steve Nelson signing...lol.

Dwinsgames
03-12-2019, 07:30 PM
fun fact ... football family ... Vernon and Vontae Davis

Fire Goodell
03-12-2019, 07:43 PM
The Browns just nullified the Steve Nelson signing...lol.

Browns doing their annual "winning in the offseason, losing in the regular season" deal

86WARD
03-12-2019, 07:48 PM
Don’t know...this might be the real deal this time...lol..

Shoes
03-12-2019, 07:49 PM
Browns doing their annual "winning in the offseason, losing in the regular season" deal

I don't think so. They made good progress last year.

Fire Goodell
03-12-2019, 07:50 PM
I've been saying the Browns were gonna be a threat for like the last 10 years. Now when I hear it, it's like the boy who cried wolf. I'm gonna just believe it when I see it. But until then, not a believer :chuckle:

Sure Mayfield looked pretty good, but so did Derek Anderson for a season

86WARD
03-12-2019, 07:55 PM
I've been saying the Browns were gonna be a threat for like the last 10 years. Now when I hear it, it's like the boy who cried wolf. I'm gonna just believe it when I see it. But until then, not a believer :chuckle:

Sure Mayfield looked pretty good, but so did Derek Anderson for a season

Yep. They still need to play the games but the arrow was pointing way up last year...still going up this off season...but we will see...they still have to make it happen on field.

Fire Goodell
03-12-2019, 07:58 PM
Well if anything they seem to be in win now mode, getting OBJ wasn't cheap, their #1 #3 and starting safety. I'm sure if they're making a trade to replace him, that's even more draft capital. If this move doesn't work for them, they're major league screwed

86WARD
03-12-2019, 08:00 PM
Well if anything they seem to be in win now mode, getting OBJ wasn't cheap, their #1 #3 and starting safety. I'm sure if they're making a trade to replace him, that's even more draft capital. If this move doesn't work for them, they're major league screwed

Yeah. They are going all in...

hawaiiansteeler
03-12-2019, 08:08 PM
we had Nelson in for an official visit in 2015, but decided to select Senquez Golson and Doran Grant instead that year. :huh:

st33lersguy
03-12-2019, 08:33 PM
Don’t know...this might be the real deal this time...lol..

They are the most talented team right now. Baltimore lost too many pieces, Pittsburgh is a poorly coached poorly managed mess right now, and the Bengals don't look promising at all either. Right now the story of the AFC North right now is 3 teams hoping the Browns screw up their influx of talent

pczach
03-12-2019, 08:39 PM
You guys are so easily discouraged.

The Browns haven't beaten us in forever. We still have Big Ben.

This team is one more big free agent signing and a big draft away from being a contender again.

86WARD
03-12-2019, 08:44 PM

This team is one more big free agent signing and a big draft away from being a contender again.

But they tied them with less talent...so maybe they are making progress...baby steps...lol.

st33lersguy
03-12-2019, 08:59 PM

Keith Butler and Danny Smith are still here. AJRII is content with mediocrity as long as it isn't a losing season.

hawaiiansteeler
03-12-2019, 10:18 PM
Steelers sign CB Steven Nelson (3 years, $25.5 million): A- Grade

The Steelers don't often make huge splash moves in free agency. In fact, they signed one player ranked at three stars or higher in the two offseasons prior to this one, which was Morgan Burnett. They're making another splash acquisition here with a defensive back by signing Steven Nelson.

Nelson made a huge jump in performance last year, playing on a high level for the Chiefs. Nelson was Kansas City's best defensive back. I know that's not saying much, but he's definitely worth a big contract. In fact, it could be argued that Nelson should've been paid more. Not only is he a talented cornerback, but he's also young. Nelson is just 25, so the sky is the limit for him.

I reserve grades in the "A" range for great bargain deals, and I'd say this qualifies as one.

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php#FzXsBU2O4TUJGOLb.99

teegre
03-12-2019, 10:25 PM
I got my established CB. :willy:

hawaiiansteeler
03-12-2019, 10:31 PM
I got my established CB. :willy:

this begs the question, why wouldn't KC do this kind of a deal with him?

teegre
03-12-2019, 10:35 PM
this begs the question, why wouldn't KC do this kind of a deal with him?

KC is having an odd off-season. They cut Houston, traded Ford, and let their best CB hit free agency.

Mojouw
03-12-2019, 10:49 PM
KC is having an odd off-season. They cut Houston, traded Ford, and let their best CB hit free agency.

All while they should be following the Eagles, Rams, and Browns blueprint of throwing cash around while their QB is cheap.

DesertSteel
03-12-2019, 10:53 PM
Maybe those popping a Browns boner can do it in another thread? This is a thread to celebrate the Steelers actually signing a legit Cornerback!

Steeldude
03-12-2019, 11:12 PM
Probably a BPA of either OLB, ILB or TE.

Hockenson at 20��

teegre
03-12-2019, 11:21 PM
Hockenson at 20��

:nod:

Hound
03-13-2019, 04:45 AM
The Browns are much better at the skill position and their pass rush has improved. Saying that, the defense can still be hashed in the secondary and I do not see the run defense improved. Teams win football games not individuals. Let’s see when the cap hits for all these new toys and money needs to get paid. What happens when your not picking in the top ten in the draft every year. Rumor is Odell already wants his contract reworked.they probably are the team to beat, but I’m not worried

teegre
03-13-2019, 06:37 AM
All while they should be following the Eagles, Rams, and Browns blueprint of throwing cash around while their QB is cheap.

Word is that they are going to give Tyreek Hill a record-setting contract.

Whatever their rationale, I’m just glad that we got a quality CB. :nod:

Michael
03-13-2019, 07:08 AM
After so much cynicism and disgust I applaud the addition of a young CB . Two critical positions left to fill. interior linebacker and W R. I would like add one more capable free agent and achieve an A rated draft. Right now IMO the arrow remains pointed down but that could change in the next two months. Go for smart hard workers. I am disgusted with the divas & narcissists. There are many excellent role model players on this team. The old saying "you are only as strong as your weakest link seemed true on this team.". My concern remains that the coach is the weakest link. I just hope he is not extended. If so then Rooney becomes the weakest link.

NCSteeler
03-13-2019, 08:43 AM
1105613988967170048I'm excited to have the guy but the high passer rating makes you wonder if the other big stats are just a sign that everyone was tossing the ball against KC last year. 4 licks is good, but it doesn't mean much if you are thrown at 2 times more than any other defense. Idk stats can lie

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

NCSteeler
03-13-2019, 08:45 AM
I don't think so. They made good progress last year.And then changed their whole coaching staff. I agree they are making good moves but we still don't know how good a HC third old RB coach can be

NCSteeler
03-13-2019, 08:47 AM
we had Nelson in for an official visit in 2015, but decided to select Senquez Golson and Doran Grant instead that year. :huh:We all know Steelers scouts can not I repeat can not evaluate DBs. That section of the staff should be fired

Rotorhead
03-13-2019, 09:30 AM
Glad we filled this need in FA, now if we can get Bush in the draft then a tall WR in the draft I will be happy with our off season. I would like another WR in FA (Tate) though.

AtlantaDan
03-13-2019, 09:49 AM
Good to see the Steelers have been able to fill the vacancy for the "it's all about the money" and surly interview position now that Bell and AB are gone

DesertSteel
03-13-2019, 10:48 AM
Lots of mixed reports. Is Nelson any good or not??

cubanstogie
03-13-2019, 10:54 AM
good enough to instantly start. Which should mean they don't have to try and draft another CB in the first round. We all know how thats turned out.

DesertSteel
03-13-2019, 10:59 AM
good enough to instantly start. Which should mean they don't have to try and draft another CB in the first round. We all know how thats turned out.
Given the competition that's not saying much.

AtlantaDan
03-13-2019, 11:00 AM

Who knows - not Richard Sherman in his prime but none of those type talents are going to be on the market

Good enough that nobody will criticize Colbert & Tomlin for reaching for a ILB and/or WR in the early rounds of the draft even if a CB who has graded out significantly higher is available.

Now that WR is another need, they had to move on one of those three problem positions outside of the draft and the WR & ILB options in free agency at a rational price point (what the Jets paid Mosley and Bills paid John Brown is insane) were pretty grim

Mojouw
03-13-2019, 11:02 AM

It all depends on which Steve Nelson shows up in Pittsburgh. He has improved each of his years in the league and has changed positions/roles in KC's secondary almost every season. He started out in the slot. Then he went outside and played boundary CB that got thrown at all the time as everyone avoided Marcus Peters. Then Peters left and he played #1 CB that got thrown at a ton because everyone was playing from behind against Mahomes.

In each season, Nelson has improved his overall play. He has also stepped up his game and increased his INTs and decreased his completion percentage as he has moved outside. In other words, Nelson is better when he can use the sideline to help defend. In each season, he has been victimized for big plays. So...what is Nelson? I think he was, for me, the best CB FA behind Ronald Darby. He is young, has improved his play every year, is at worst a reliable #2 CB in the NFL that has an ability to get his hands on the football. He might even be more than that. I suspect he will never be regarded as a "lockdown" cover half the field guy. But, who is?

Bottom line, IMO, the Steelers got a bargain (Nelson may have been able to get 10+ a year from someone) and have vastly improved their CB position over Sensabaugh, Burns, and whoever. Haden/Nelson/Hilton is a good but not great starting 3. If Sutton can provide anything, you actually might have not hold your breath everytime Haden falls down...

Mojouw
03-13-2019, 11:08 AM
Great write up from Alex K @ Steelers Depot on the good and the bad with Nelson:

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/03/film-room-steven-nelson-big-plays-made-big-plays-allowed/

"Realistically, Nelson is not a #1, shutdown corner. He’s not “the guy.” And I know that sorta sucks because of how much he’s getting paid but that’s just how the market works. I see it less of an overpay and more the cost of doing business.

I like Bradley Roby a lot. He was my #1 guy and evidently, the team’s too. Nelson is similar in some ways, his feast/famine tape, but isn’t as fast or twitchy as Roby is. It’s a good signing and is step one in fixing one of this defense’s largest problems, the ability to create splash and turnovers. And I’m certainly thrilled about that and the fact the team finally made an aggressive move. They couldn’t have gone through the offseason without one and expected to plug all the holes they have."

Dwinsgames
03-13-2019, 11:40 AM

I like nelson ...

he is not Revis or Woodson or Champ Bailey but he is a solid corner / above average

lets put it this way he will be making around the same money as Dupree and if I was the guy in charge I would rather pay TWO Nelsons than 1 Dupree

Born2Steel
03-13-2019, 11:52 AM
I’m so happy this got done. I don’t care if it cost $50M. Needed to get done. :love2:

86WARD
03-13-2019, 11:54 AM
So Nelson sounds a lot like Haden? Not a Top-Tier #1 but a Mid-Tier #1 or Top-Tier #2?

Still need to get CB help. Team needs 4 solid CBs to survive...

Fire Goodell
03-13-2019, 11:58 AM
So Nelson sounds a lot like Haden? Not a Top-Tier #1 but a Mid-Tier #1 or Top-Tier #2?

I think he's more a solid #2 CB, but I can live with that.

The only thing I'm concerned with, is he's a bit of a one year wonder. He had a good season last year, but the previous 3 years? Goose eggs as far as INT's go. But a couple seasons ago he did break up a lot of passes, so perhaps last season wasn't entirely luck.

Hound
03-13-2019, 11:58 AM
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-steven-nelson-has-risen-to-the-challenge-as-the-highest-targeted-cornerback-in-the-nfl
This shows Steven Nelson is a REALLY Good corner.

86WARD
03-13-2019, 01:28 PM
So if Nelson was that good (playing devils advocate), why would the Chiefs let him go?

Fire Goodell
03-13-2019, 01:32 PM
So if Nelson was that good (playing devils advocate), why would the Chiefs let him go?

Not sure, but there's a good number of KC fans that seemed happy to see him go. My brother is a diehard KC fan since 1990 and he didn't text me anything about the signing which means he doesn't care.

Hopefully it's just their fans being overly critical like how a lot of us were with William Gay

Mojouw
03-13-2019, 01:35 PM

That's a good question. The Chiefs by most accounts have cap space. They also have one of the best QBs currently on rookie deals. So...the logical play is to spend ALL the money everywhere else on the roster. Instead, the seem to be shedding salary.

They got out of the Dee Ford and Justin Houston business. They are rumored to be considering getting out from Berry's contract. And they signed Matthieu. Tyreek Hill likely gets a record extension, but I have no idea why they seem to be holding onto cap space.

In other words, their move so far make no sense to me and I am not sure that the Chiefs failing to resign someone at this point is a barometer of anything good or bad.

DesertSteel
03-13-2019, 01:57 PM

I still have hope for Sutton. None for Burns.

Fire Goodell
03-13-2019, 02:14 PM
That's a good question. The Chiefs by most accounts have cap space. They also have one of the best QBs currently on rookie deals. So...the logical play is to spend ALL the money everywhere else on the roster. Instead, the seem to be shedding salary.

They got out of the Dee Ford and Justin Houston business. They are rumored to be considering getting out from Berry's contract. And they signed Matthieu. Tyreek Hill likely gets a record extension, but I have no idea why they seem to be holding onto cap space.

In other words, their move so far make no sense to me and I am not sure that the Chiefs failing to resign someone at this point is a barometer of anything good or bad.

That's a lot of turnover on their defense, even with signing Matthieu, I don't see how their defense can make a positive step going into next season.

Dwinsgames
03-13-2019, 02:27 PM

they also parted ways with Marcus Peters , granted in different fashion but he is gone regardless

slippy
03-13-2019, 02:33 PM
andy reid is the gm correct?

NCSteeler
03-13-2019, 05:26 PM
Chiefs moves so far make no sense. They are a team with lots of money and they are steady dropping decent players and getting no draft picks for them . IDK, seems like a defense implosion

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-13-2019, 07:38 PM
Nelson's draft profile

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/steven-nelson?id=2552265

Nelson was somebody that I liked as a 3rd or 4th round pick in his draft year. At 5'10" and quicker than fast, I thought that he looked like more of a guy to play slot CB, but I guess he will be on the outside opposite Haden. An upgrade over Sensabaugh or Burns.

Fire Goodell
03-13-2019, 07:47 PM
Chiefs moves so far make no sense. They are a team with lots of money and they are steady dropping decent players and getting no draft picks for them . IDK, seems like a defense implosion

New DC and I hear they're switching from the 3-4 to the 4-3. Needs different types of players and an overhaul

ThorndikeFFA
03-13-2019, 08:23 PM
He's no Artie Burns, so there's that.

OK, we'll see how this goes.

86WARD
03-14-2019, 04:24 AM
He's no Artie Burns, so there's that.

OK, we'll see how this goes.

My favorite thing this week is how the talking heads have said that Nelson is being signed as a nickel back because the Steelers have Haden and Burns starting outside. You know that first round draft pick Artie Burns from a couple years ago...(Brady Quinn being a major one). It just continues to show that no one prepares for their job and if they don’t know the answer, instead of saying they don’t know, they just spew some facts that are so far untrue...

86WARD
03-14-2019, 09:33 PM
Anybody see Nelson’s Tweets from back in 2011 and 2012 bashing the Steelers? It’s actually pretty funny. Sounds like he was a Steelers fan back then...

Hawkman
03-14-2019, 09:35 PM
Anybody see Nelson’s Tweets from back in 2011 and 2012 bashing the Steelers? It’s actually pretty funny. Sounds like he was a Steelers fan back then...

There was Twitter back then?:chuckle:

teegre
03-14-2019, 09:53 PM

He thought that the Steelers were going to draft him...

pczach
03-20-2019, 07:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B28L7mNNNzM

hawaiiansteeler
03-28-2019, 01:48 PM
Nelson was somebody that I liked as a 3rd or 4th round pick in his draft year. At 5'10" and quicker than fast, I thought that he looked like more of a guy to play slot CB, but I guess he will be on the outside opposite Haden. An upgrade over Sensabaugh or Burns.

Nelson is better as a slot corner.

on the outside this past season he allowed 14.1 yds per reception, probably why KC was willing to let him go.

Mojouw
03-28-2019, 02:09 PM
Nelson is better as a slot corner.

on the outside this past season he allowed 14.1 yds per reception, probably why KC was willing to let him go.

That is the exact opposite of everything I read. Not the ypr figure, but the idea that Nelson is not a boundary CB. Several articles I read basically said he got far better as KC moved him outside from the slot.

hawaiiansteeler
03-28-2019, 02:12 PM
That is the exact opposite of everything I read. Not the ypr figure, but the idea that Nelson is not a boundary CB. Several articles I read basically said he got far better as KC moved him outside from the slot.

I read that at Pro Football Focus so you do have to take it with a grain of salt.

nevertheless, giving up an average of 14.1 yds per reception isn't good no matter how you slice it.

Mojouw
03-28-2019, 02:24 PM
I read that at Pro Football Focus so you do have to take it with a grain of salt.

nevertheless, giving up an average of 14.1 yds per reception isn't good no matter how you slice it.

Fair enough. I found this earlier https://arrowheadaddict.com/2018/11/13/will-kansas-city-chiefs-pay-steven-nelson-2019/:

"There’s also the fact that Nelson has finally stuck to a specific role instead of moving back and forth between the boundary and slot positions. Playing in a boundary role helps Nelson’s style of play using that boundary as another defender considering he tends to play more aggressively."

No idea if that is a decent report or not.

As to the 14.1 #, I didn't find that. I found a variety of #'s listed around 12 yards. I did see somewhere that not only did Nelson face more pass targets than any other DB, but they were deeper than any other DB as well. He did have a fairly high incompletion rate on those targets. So, maybe he actually defends a # of passes, but if they are all 10, 20, or more yards downfield, any completions you do allow are going to spike that yard per reception #?

Hard to tell because some much of these advanced stats are behind pay-walls.

stillers4me
03-29-2019, 04:02 PM

pczach
03-29-2019, 09:04 PM

Smart man.

teegre
03-30-2019, 07:40 AM
He’s going to wear 22.

Born2Steel
03-30-2019, 08:48 AM
With the Steelers able to start Nelson and Haden on the outside how important does it become to get Sensabaugh re-signed to back up either/both? Just talking boundary defense Allen or one of the safeties is all there is behind them. Colbert and Tomlin were both at LSU, Clemson, Michigan, and Notre Dame pro days which puts guys like Greedy Williams, Trayvon Mullen, and Julien Love in the mix for 1st round possibilities if tradition continues. I have paid Nelson zero attention for his career so I have no idea how to expect him to play for us.Is he head and shoulders better than Sensabaugh? Does signing Nelson take the 1st round CB draft prospects off the Steelers board? For me this signing helps solidify depth but how do you guys feel moving forward at boundary?

st33lersguy
03-30-2019, 09:17 AM
Nelson I think lessens the need for a corner. Depth is still an issue but I don't consider a round 1 presser of a need. For round 1, I would like to see some others areas addressed such as TE (who plays when Vance goes down), Safety, a OLB (don't tell me Bud Dupree is a viable answer as a starting OLB, 4 years and he hasn't made an impact), ILB (Not sold on Barron as more than depth). With Moncrief I would also wait on WR ((especially since I am not sold on this WR class)

Born2Steel
03-30-2019, 09:27 AM
Nelson I think lessens the need for a corner. Depth is still an issue but I don't consider a round 1 presser of a need. For round 1, I would like to see some others areas addressed such as TE (who plays when Vance goes down), Safety, a OLB (don't tell me Bud Dupree is a viable answer as a starting OLB, 4 years and he hasn't made an impact), ILB (Not sold on Barron as more than depth). With Moncrief I would also wait on WR ((especially since I am not sold on this WR class)

In your opinion is Nelson a good enough signing to take the top listed boundary CBs off the Steelers 1st round board? Sensabaugh is not re-signed at this time, and Brian Allen is the only CB behind Nelson and Haden at this time. How much dropoff in boundary CB talent between the 1st round and the 3rd round? I think Nelson is a very good, much needed signing. I just don't know if it does lessen the need for a boundary CB moving forward, or if it does lessen the need, to what extent. Not trying to turn this into another draft thread, I am asking about what Nelson brings to the position.

st33lersguy
03-30-2019, 09:35 AM
In your opinion is Nelson a good enough signing to take the top listed boundary CBs off the Steelers 1st round board? Sensabaugh is not re-signed at this time, and Brian Allen is the only CB behind Nelson and Haden at this time. How much dropoff in boundary CB talent between the 1st round and the 3rd round? I think Nelson is a very good, much needed signing. I just don't know if it does lessen the need for a boundary CB moving forward, or if it does lessen the need, to what extent. Not trying to turn this into another draft thread, I am asking about what Nelson brings to the position.

Depth is still an issue, and yes I am well aware that free agency is no sure thing but they have Haden and Hilton already and now they are paying over $8 million a year on Nelson. With some measures it seems on paper they addressed no. 2 CB and if they aren't sold on Nelson that they still want to spend a 1st round pick on a corner, why pay him $25 million over 3 years especially with other positions that still need immediate starters

Born2Steel
03-30-2019, 09:41 AM
Depth is still an issue, and yes I am well aware that free agency is no sure thing but they have Haden and Hilton already and now they are paying over $8 million a year on Nelson. With some measures it seems on paper they addressed no. 2 CB and if they aren't sold on Nelson that they still want to spend a 1st round pick on a corner, why pay him $25 million over 3 years especially with other positions that still need immediate starters

As for the 'why', Colbert never goes into a draft with a position empty. Comparatively the Nelson signing is inexpensive for a boundary CB to a boundary CB hungry team. My previous thought was the same as what you are saying here too. Why sign Nelson to a multi-year deal if he's not at least your 2019 starter? I just no longer think this signing drops the need for a boundary CB enough to take one off the 1st round board, or at least makes me question that move if it does.

hawaiiansteeler
03-30-2019, 07:58 PM
In your opinion is Nelson a good enough signing to take the top listed boundary CBs off the Steelers 1st round board? Sensabaugh is not re-signed at this time, and Brian Allen is the only CB behind Nelson and Haden at this time.

you forgot about Artie Burnt.

this is going to be his breakout year...:thumbsup:

teegre
03-31-2019, 11:04 AM
Haden is approaching the “drop off” point in his career. So, a CB is still a very real option at 20.

I mean, we have had two good CBs in the past twenty years... so, I wouldn’t stop trying to fill that void (just because we just signed Nelson). Personally, I’d draft a CB (by the end of R3) every single draft.

Sidenote: I could see Haden switching to FS (in 2020).

dislocatedday
03-31-2019, 12:37 PM
I wonder if Haden moving to FS after this season is a viable option? Sean Davis' contract is up after this year I believe, and I am not sure he is the long term answer at that spot. I could see Haden going the Rod Woodson route and switching to FS for the remainder of his career. I think CB is a definite possibility in the first round.

(OK, just saw Teegre's post after writing the above.......so obviously some of you all are thinking like me regarding Haden and the FS spot).

Mojouw
03-31-2019, 01:09 PM
Counting on Haden for much beyond this year is unwise, in my opinion. DB play quality and injury seems to fall off a cliff at some random point over 30 years old. Haden turns 30 in April. Revis fell out of the league starting in his age 31 season. Richard Sherman began to break down and struggle with injuries at 29. Of course the Woodsons (Rod and Charles) and Darell Green played forever, so who knows? But I would start throwing draft picks higher than the 4th round at the situation immediately. Burns is toast unless Austin is the same level of position coach that Munchak was. Sutton is not even close to what he was billed as being. Allen just never panned out. That is about as bad as the LB room.

Born2Steel
03-31-2019, 01:33 PM
Counting on Haden for much beyond this year is unwise, in my opinion. DB play quality and injury seems to fall off a cliff at some random point over 30 years old. Haden turns 30 in April. Revis fell out of the league starting in his age 31 season. Richard Sherman began to break down and struggle with injuries at 29. Of course the Woodsons (Rod and Charles) and Darell Green played forever, so who knows? But I would start throwing draft picks higher than the 4th round at the situation immediately. Burns is toast unless Austin is the same level of position coach that Munchak was. Sutton is not even close to what he was billed as being. Allen just never panned out. That is about as bad as the LB room.

Agree with this. At 20 I would look for Greedy, Mullen, Love, possibly Murphy, Gardner-Johnson, or Bush/Wilson. I think the need is simply too great to find somebody at CB and ILB that the Steelers are forced to go there at 20. 31 players will come off the board before they pick again.

Haden has even said he expects to make the move to FS later in his career so that wouldn't surprise a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

you forgot about Artie Burnt.

this is going to be his breakout year...:thumbsup:

LOL! I didn't forget him, I actually no longer count on him at this point.

NCSteeler
03-31-2019, 01:56 PM
Could just throw spaghetti at the walls. Draft nothing but DBs from rnd 4 on.surely one of them will be decent

Steeler-in-west
03-31-2019, 03:50 PM
Lb, inside and even outside are just as pressing a need as cb this year, maybe a bit more so. But yeah, given Hadens age and injury history we don’t have much time at that position either. I’d still go Lb first this year in the draft.