PDA

View Full Version : winners losers of Brown to Raiders deal

Dwinsgames
03-10-2019, 10:58 AM
Loser......

Kevin Colbert, The Steelers GM Colbert swore up and down in the media that they were comfortable holding on to
Antonio Brown unless they received significant compensation in return. a 3rd and 5th round selection is far from significant !

When you look at what is left behind Brown will count as $21 million on Pittsburgh's cap this year, almost as much as Big Ben.
Colbert somehow has to replace Brown's production with far less cap space to do so and accepted scraps in return .....

Brown is a WR consumed with personal accomplishments (on field numbers) sitting out was never an option , retiring was never an option only threats ...
he is a narcissist & requires attention /spotlight that only the field can give him (well and blonde mustaches with fur coats)

another reason he would not sit out or retire is he is a SPENDER not a saver ...
so much so that he was offering personalized videos for $500 a pop this spells financial despair
and not a guy who is willing to walk away ( or able to walk away ) he needs the $$$$$

Colbert should have played hardball as he held the biggest card of all ....
a signed contract and financial well being for the next 3 years ( and beyond ) as well as all of Browns ability to add to his statistical resume ...

Colbert held the biggest and most powerful Trump card that contract and yet he crumbled when push came to shove ....
he needs to go as soon as this draft class is in house ....

Winner

Antonio Brown

Hard to not call Brown a winner in this he got exactly what he wanted even if it was a mistake career wise ...

Brown gets more money ( what he wanted from the onset ) he got to be the center of attention from much of the media ( something he also craves as all narcissists do )

The Raiders are also winners 1st year GM sets a stamp on his hire with the acquisition of the best WR in the game and it costs them 30 million in guarantees and 2 middling draft selections .
Gruden wins he gets a #1 WR and still has THREE number 1 picks ...

The Raiders traded away a lesser player and got a 1st round pick for him ( Cooper ) then replaced Cooper with Brown for a 3rd and 5th ....hard to not call that a HUGE win ....

Born2Steel
03-10-2019, 11:05 AM
The Steelers now have draft capital that we do not yet know the value of. If they somehow manage to use their picks to get one of the coveted Devins, does that make this a better trade? If they use these picks and draft the next AB or Heath, is it then a better trade? I am not saying this was a 'good' trade, I'm only saying we don't know how good/bad yet.

stillers4me
03-10-2019, 11:08 AM
Just stop the drama!!!!

This story isn't even played out yet. All that money AB is getting won't mean diddly squat when he is broke in a couple of years.

Cancer is expensive anyway you deal with it. What did you expect at this point? That if we didn't take what we could get, AB would come back to training camp and be all repentant and everything would just work out? Never was going to happen.

Move on.......we have free agency and the draft coming up.

Page turned.

Addition by subtraction.

Here we go..........blah blah blah

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
03-10-2019, 11:09 AM
The Steelers now have draft capital that we do not yet know the value of. If they somehow manage to use their picks to get one of the coveted Devins, does that make this a better trade? If they use these picks and draft the next AB or Heath, is it then a better trade? I am not saying this was a 'good' trade, I'm only saying we don't know how good/bad yet. No they got punk by AB and the Raiders. End of story and won't do crap with those lame picks.

Dwinsgames
03-10-2019, 11:10 AM
The Steelers now have draft capital that we do not yet know the value of. If they somehow manage to use their picks to get one of the coveted Devins, does that make this a better trade? If they use these picks and draft the next AB or Heath, is it then a better trade? I am not saying this was a 'good' trade, I'm only saying we don't know how good/bad yet.

a 3rd and 5th will move you like almost nowhere in rd 1 ( 2-4 spots at best ) so instead of picking 20 you can maybe move to 16 ... based on current perception you do not acquire either Devin that way ... so the number 1 WR in the game and your 20th selection are not enough to move up to get an ILB ?? thats a loss man ..now draft day reality could talk a different talk on when those Devins go but all we have currently is perception

Born2Steel
03-10-2019, 11:10 AM
No they got punk by AB and the Raiders. End of story and won't do crap with those lame picks.

:rofl2:

stillers4me
03-10-2019, 11:11 AM
No they got punk by AB and the Raiders. End of story and won't do crap with those lame picks.

Then go find a another team.....how about the Patriots*? After all, they ARE the perfect team and do EVERYTHING the right way. Then you can you can be happy all the time.

fansince'76
03-10-2019, 11:12 AM

I'll remember this the first time AB tosses a Gatorade bucket on the sideline in anger because Carr missed him on a wide open throw (again)...

Born2Steel
03-10-2019, 11:14 AM
a 3rd and 5th will move you like almost nowhere in rd 1 ( 2-4 spots at best ) so instead of picking 20 you can maybe move to 16 ... based on current perception you do not acquire either Devin that way ... so the number 1 WR in the game and your 20th selection are not enough to move up to get an ILB ?? thats a loss man ..now draft day reality could talk a different talk on when those Devins go but all we have currently is perception

The 3rd and 5th are not the only picks the Steelers have. The Steelers have something like 10 draft picks now. AND there is going to be another draft in 2020. It is all about perception.

stillers4me
03-10-2019, 11:22 AM
I'll remember this the first time AB tosses a Gatorade bucket on the sideline in anger because Carr missed him on a wide open throw (again)...
I'm sure that will be Ben's fault.

st33lersguy
03-10-2019, 11:54 AM

Draft capital? To do what fill up the practice squad?

ThorndikeFFA
03-10-2019, 11:55 AM
Well, we missed the playoffs with Brown. I'm sure that we can miss them again without him.

Move on time!

stillers4me
03-10-2019, 11:59 AM
Well, we missed the playoffs with Brown. I'm sure that we can miss them again without him.

Move on time!

Yep!

Shoes
03-10-2019, 12:02 PM
Of course Brown won. He ran this entire show for who knows how long. Rooney, Colbert, and Tomlin hopefully do some real honest heart-searching. As for AB, he can go shit in his hat which I'm sure he will do at some point in the future. All I care about now is getting Hochenson! :chuckle:

stillers4me
03-10-2019, 12:09 PM
Welp....remember this day when history shows that Oakland actually OVERPAID for an aging, pain in the ass, drama queen.

Yes, I went there.

Born2Steel
03-10-2019, 12:21 PM
Draft capital? To do what fill up the practice squad?

Yes. That is what this team has been missing this whole time. A talented practice squad.

Shoes
03-10-2019, 12:24 PM
Yes. That is what this team has been missing this whole time. A talented practice squad.

They need to start a talented PS for Gm's & Head Coaches. :chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-10-2019, 12:32 PM
I think the 66th pick allows the Steelers to get another talented player that will help the team. The 141st pick in the 5th round will be a developmental that could be the #4 option or a flyer on an ILB, or a solid interior lineman to plan to replace Finney, or even a DT to replace the jettisoned McCullers.

Somebody can do the math, but I am sure we can use a 3rd and 5th to move up to the 2nd round, or even both 3rd round picks. I can see one of either Irv Smith Jr or Noah Fant lasting until the top half of the 2nd round, so maybe the Steelers can grab an offensive threat at TE in the 2nd, while still keeping their 2nd round pick. Potential draft could be

Devin Bush ILB at #20
Irv Smith Jr TE at pick 40 approx.
Trayvon Mullen CB #52

The idea of going into the 2019 season with receiving options at WR like JuJu, Washington, Switzer, Dionte Spencer (CFL WR from McNeese St that runs a 4.3) and possibly a FA like John Brown, plus TE group with receivers like Irv Smith Jr, Vance McDonald and maybe JJ....isn't the end of the world to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Welp....remember this day when history shows that Oakland actually OVERPAID for an aging, pain in the ass, drama queen.

Yes, I went there.

Wait, did they trade for #7 or #84 ? :confused:

Born2Steel
03-10-2019, 12:37 PM
I think the 66th pick allows the Steelers to get another talented player that will help the team. The 141st pick in the 5th round will be a developmental that could be the #4 option or a flyer on an ILB, or a solid interior lineman to plan to replace Finney, or even a DT to replace the jettisoned McCullers.

Somebody can do the math, but I am sure we can use a 3rd and 5th to move up to the 2nd round, or even both 3rd round picks. I can see one of either Irv Smith Jr or Noah Fant lasting until the top half of the 2nd round, so maybe the Steelers can grab an offensive threat at TE in the 2nd, while still keeping their 2nd round pick. Potential draft could be

Devin Bush ILB at #20
Trayvon Mullen CB #52

The idea of going into the 2019 season with receiving options at WR like JuJu, Washington, Switzer, Dionte Spencer (CFL WR from McNeese St that runs a 4.3) and possibly a FA like John Brown, plus TE group with receivers like Irv Smith Jr, Vance McDonald and maybe JJ....isn't the end of the world to me.

- - - Updated - - -

LOL!!! Yes, which aging, pain in the ass, drama queen indeed.

Dwinsgames
03-10-2019, 04:05 PM
Brown is also a loser in this same deal , however he is not smart enough to realize it ....

not from the football perspective ( but that too )

but financially , sure on the surface he is making a LOT more money , but after California taxes kick in he didnt really get much of a raise .... 50% tax bracket so take those earnings and half them vs 40%

hawaiiansteeler
03-10-2019, 05:26 PM

and Tomlin's...

DesertSteel
03-10-2019, 05:30 PM
Winner: AB
Loser: Me
TBD: Steelers and Raiders

- - - Updated - - -

Ben will say all the right things at his signing press conference. That’s how passive-aggressive behavior works.

tom444
03-10-2019, 05:35 PM

^^^^^^this^^^^^^

Dwinsgames
03-10-2019, 05:59 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1VRtmGWkAg-_QP.jpg:large

DesertSteel
03-10-2019, 06:08 PM
This is FUNNY!

https://www.facebook.com/MEMES.of.the.NFL/videos/334727260482583/

EzraTank
03-10-2019, 06:08 PM
Wow 3rd and 5th? Not even their 2nd round pick from this year?

HORRIBLE. I would have not traded him at all and let him sit out as many seasons as he wanted until he was 33 and DONE.

AtlantaDan
03-10-2019, 06:18 PM
Loser - fan predictions on outcome of AB trade :chuckle:

hawaiiansteeler
03-10-2019, 06:58 PM
I find it interesting that 29 other NFL teams didn't offer more than a 3rd and a 5th for AB.

86WARD
03-10-2019, 07:02 PM
I find it interesting that 29 other NFL teams didn't offer more than a 3rd and a 5th for AB.

Thought the same thing. Shame on them if they couldn't come up with that...lol.

Dwinsgames
03-10-2019, 07:08 PM
He’s so big, it’s so hot. He doesn’t want to move. Now the little lions come, they start messing with him. Biting his tail, biting his ears. He doesn’t do anything. The lioness, she starts messing with him. Coming over, making trouble. Still nothing.

Now the other animals, they notice this. They start to move in. The jackals; hyenas. They’re barking at him, laughing at him. They nip his toes, and eat the food that’s in his domain. They do this, then they get closer and closer, bolder and bolder.

Steelers fans .....first came Blount he pulled his shit and got shown the door ( what he wanted ) , Harrison bullied his way off the roster by disrespecting coaches by sleeping in meetings etc ...... then Bell did his thing last year ( never showed acted disrespected while disrespecting ) then Brown started his crap in training camp then threatened a reporter and called out others , pushed harder and didnt show for meetings and full blow up mode by Brown since december ...... its not just animals in the wild humans do it too when leadership shows weakness....

its not just animals that do this sort of thing humans do too at the first sign of weakness of the hierarchy

AtlantaDan
03-10-2019, 07:11 PM

What draft picks were traded was only part of the puzzle - teams had to meet not just the Steelers price but the terms of a new contract demanded by AB/Rosenhaus

One team wanting to deal for Brown bailed when it discovered he wanted to be the highest paid receiver in the game, again, on a new deal as part of a trade....

Raiders paid a financial tax on the contract to get Brown for a third-rounder and a fifth-rounder. Which, when you went into this with over $60 million in cap room, can be positioned as an effective use of that space. Some other teams couldn’t afford to do it, cap-wise. Others were unwilling, but Oakland had the flexibility, so they get the benefit of not dealing picks in the first two rounds.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/10/antonio-brown-trade-raiders-steelers-news?utm_source=si.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=social-share-article&utm_content=20190311

Shoes
03-10-2019, 08:09 PM

Devin Bush ILB at #20
Trayvon Mullen CB #52

- - - Updated - - -

They will have to work some magic to get Fant or Smith @ about 40 but hope they do, I know Hockenson will be long gone. I think Sternberger would be there but I don't believe he's much of a blocker.

86WARD
03-10-2019, 08:18 PM
They will have to work some magic to get Fant or Smith @ about 40 but hope they do, I know Hockenson will be long gone. I think Sternberger would be there at 52 but I don't believe he's much of a blocker.

Hockendon and Fant will be gone by 40.

Born2Steel
03-10-2019, 08:37 PM
We will not even know winners/losers for a couple of years anyway. People are disappointed that the Steelers did not get a 1st for AB. I get that because I was hoping for that too. But there is zero guarantee that a 1st round pick works out any better in the long term than a 3rd and 5th does. What I totally disagree with on here is that it would have been better to not trade AB at all and just let him sit. That does not help the Steelers at all, IMO. It's never about "having balls" or "getting punked", or "forcing your will", it's about making the best out of an already terrible situation. I also disagree that any of the blame for AB falls to coaches, GM, or owner. It all falls squarely on how AB chose to conduct himself. AB's choice.

I do agree that the Steelers will need to learn from this and rethink how they build their player contracts. After what happened to Shazier it is no small wonder that our other star players started to think about their own risk/reward contract situations. It may come up again, I hope not, but if it does keep in mind how much #50s injury plays into this the creation of these issues. Remember something similar happened to TP43 as well. These guys were well loved, team leaders, and absolutely respected by the team at large. I think we will lose more players due to cap casualty because of more guaranteed money but that will help prevent more of the same player issues, IMO.

Bottom line is nobody has to be happy or even just ok with the trade, but keep the goal in front of you. This is not an ending but a beginning. This is more of a player driven league than people want to acknowledge. Players have options now with new leagues sprouting up. Agents are going to be asking for more in dollars and in guarantees. We will start to see less and less of the incentive laden contract. More risk to the team and less financial risk for the player. An era of superstar teams and dynasties being built in real life Legacy Mode.

Shoes
03-10-2019, 08:37 PM
Hockendon and Fant will be gone by 40.

Agreed, I don't expect them to be there unless teams go hog wild on a certain position....like TE :chuckle:

Rotorhead
03-10-2019, 08:58 PM
We will not even know winners/losers for a couple of years anyway. People are disappointed that the Steelers did not get a 1st for AB. I get that because I was hoping for that too. But there is zero guarantee that a 1st round pick works out any better in the long term than a 3rd and 5th does. What I totally disagree with on here is that it would have been better to not trade AB at all and just let him sit. That does not help the Steelers at all, IMO. It's never about "having balls" or "getting punked", or "forcing your will", it's about making the best out of an already terrible situation. I also disagree that any of the blame for AB falls to coaches, GM, or owner. It all falls squarely on how AB chose to conduct himself. AB's choice.

I do agree that the Steelers will need to learn from this and rethink how they build their player contracts. After what happened to Shazier it is no small wonder that our other star players started to think about their own risk/reward contract situations. It may come up again, I hope not, but if it does keep in mind how much #50s injury plays into this the creation of these issues. Remember something similar happened to TP43 as well. These guys were well loved, team leaders, and absolutely respected by the team at large. I think we will lose more players due to cap casualty because of more guaranteed money but that will help prevent more of the same player issues, IMO.

Bottom line is nobody has to be happy or even just ok with the trade, but keep the goal in front of you. This is not an ending but a beginning. This is more of a player driven league than people want to acknowledge. Players have options now with new leagues sprouting up. Agents are going to be asking for more in dollars and in guarantees. We will start to see less and less of the incentive laden contract. More risk to the team and less financial risk for the player. An era of superstar teams and dynasties being built in real life Legacy Mode.

Except, after Shazier’s injury, the Steelers paid him out the rest of his contract, that is as guaranteed as it gets. I also am pretty sure they are paying for his rehab as well. That is why Bell was so dumb, if he would have had a career ending injury, what are the chances the Steelers would not have paid him out? As far as AB, he just got his feelings hurt about Juju, I always thought he was a team first guy, but since he was our top WR it never came up, now we know the truth about him. Shameful really.

munchy
03-10-2019, 09:29 PM
winner: tomlin. now he doesnt have to change and hold anyone accountable.
winner: current players on team. they can still run wild and do what they want. can act like an idiot and get traded
winner: 31 gms. know colbert has no backbone in trade negotiations
winner: agents. see above
winner: future steeler players. see 3 above
losers: steeler fans
losers: 31 other nfl team. steelers showed all nfl players how to bend an organization over
loser: fans of those 31 nfl teams. see above

Craic
03-10-2019, 09:53 PM
Except, after Shazier’s injury, the Steelers paid him out the rest of his contract, that is as guaranteed as it gets. I also am pretty sure they are paying for his rehab as well. That is why Bell was so dumb, if he would have had a career ending injury, what are the chances the Steelers would not have paid him out? As far as AB, he just got his feelings hurt about Juju, I always thought he was a team first guy, but since he was our top WR it never came up, now we know the truth about him. Shameful really.

They had to. It was gauranteed by league rules. Sure, they paid it a bit early, but that's a gesture more than anything tangent.

DesertSteel
03-10-2019, 10:09 PM
Any quotes from Colbert yet on this masterpiece of a deal?

Dwinsgames
03-10-2019, 10:56 PM
you know ..... 3 playoff wins with AB as a starter .....

we won a Superbowl with a College QB transitioned to WR and a guy with no ACL manning the other WR spot and an UDFA running the football ....

DesertSteel
03-10-2019, 11:17 PM
you know ..... 3 playoff wins with AB as a starter .....

we won a Superbowl with a College QB transitioned to WR and a guy with no ACL manning the other WR spot and an UDFA running the football ....
Exactly. What’s more important, the parts or the sum? I only question the leadership of that sum.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-10-2019, 11:54 PM
They will have to work some magic to get Fant or Smith @ about 40 but hope they do, I know Hockenson will be long gone. I think Sternberger would be there but I don't believe he's much of a blocker.

I don't see 3 TE going in the first round, so one should be there at the top of the 2nd. If Steelers want, then its up to them to go get who is left. Smith isn't much of a blocker and he ran a slower 40 than the other 2 TE's so I could see him lasting to day 2.

Shoes
03-10-2019, 11:56 PM
I don't see 3 TE going in the first round, so one should be there at the top of the 2nd. If Steelers want, then its up to them to go get who is left. Smith isn't much of a blocker and he ran a slower 40 than the other 2 TE's so I could see him lasting to day 2.

What are your thoughts on Sternberger?

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-11-2019, 12:09 AM
What are your thoughts on Sternberger?

I'll have to watch some film to get a real better look, but he isn't the receiving threat the other guys are. His pedestrian 4.75 time in the 40 at the combine doesn't bode well, nor does his mediocre resume as a blocker. Honestly I see him not much of an upgrade over Jesse James, so not sure I think a 2nd round pick on him is worth it.

Shoes
03-11-2019, 12:15 AM
I'll have to watch some film to get a real better look, but he isn't the receiving threat the other guys are. His pedestrian 4.75 time in the 40 at the combine doesn't bode well, nor does his mediocre resume as a blocker. Honestly I see him not much of an upgrade over Jesse James, so not sure I think a 2nd round pick on him is worth it.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/jace-sternberger

Steeldude
03-11-2019, 12:40 AM
Don't be surprised if the Steelers trade Schuster for a 7th round pick next season.

Devil's D
03-11-2019, 08:11 AM
Everyone needs to calm down, and quit being so short sighted!

This deal is really not that unbalanced......if you look at it in the long-term.

To the uninitiated it might simply look like the Steelers gave-up the best WR in the game for only a 3rd & a 5th.

But, in reality, this shrewd deal insures that the Steelers will have much higher draft picks for many years in the future. Sure an extra 1st round pick this year would have been nice, but that is nothing compared to the value of moving-up 10-20 spots in the draft for the next 3-5 years.

FrancoLambert
03-11-2019, 08:49 AM
Everyone needs to calm down, and quit being so short sighted!

This deal is really not that unbalanced......if you look at it in the long-term.

To the uninitiated it might simply look like the Steelers gave-up the best WR in the game for only a 3rd & a 5th.

But, in reality, this shrewd deal insures that the Steelers will have much higher draft picks for many years in the future. Sure an extra 1st round pick this year would have been nice, but that is nothing compared to the value of moving-up 10-20 spots in the draft for the next 3-5 years.

I expected to see the sarcasm emoji at the end of your post.
Do you really think GM’s consider what Colbert was able to get for AB a shrewd deal?
Maybe it’s a new approach, gut your team, suck for several tears, then reap the benefits of good drafting position.
:rolleyes:

steelreserve
03-11-2019, 09:45 AM
I expected to see the sarcasm emoji at the end of your post.
Do you really think GM’s consider what Colbert was able to get for AB a shrewd deal?
Maybe it’s a new approach, gut your team, suck for several tears, then reap the benefits of good drafting position.
:rolleyes:

I'm sure it was sarcastic. Nobody thinks we got anything but a thorough ass pounding.

I mean, I stopped at the adult bookstore on the way home yesterday and picked up something from the new releases section called "Stop My Ass Is On Fire Vol. 6", but instead of a porno, it was a documentary about the Antonio Brown Trade. Same with the other one titled "5 in the Stink."

Frankly, I was impressed they got them out so fast, but then again, those guys are used to making like 10 movies a day.

munchy
03-11-2019, 11:21 AM
I'm sure it was sarcastic. Nobody thinks we got anything but a thorough ass pounding.

I mean, I stopped at the adult bookstore on the way home yesterday and picked up something from the new releases section called "Stop My Ass Is On Fire Vol. 6", but instead of a porno, it was a documentary about the Antonio Brown Trade. Same with the other one titled "5 in the Stink."

Frankly, I was impressed they got them out so fast, but then again, those guys are used to making like 10 movies a day.

funny stuff. my kind of humor. fitting for this team right now

Fire Goodell
03-11-2019, 12:01 PM
https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/54520472_570696776781861_4208988531839729664_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=111&_nc_oc=AQm4e5Er71eE_fofzcpkeU414KEdL3KM-zIZHpwtPvK_V20v8AXNApbl32U5x9LvLSM&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=b613273abcc7b1219934b7e520fcc693&oe=5D070280

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-11-2019, 03:12 PM
https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/jace-sternberger

Looked at his Kentucky and Ole Miss games. Shows good hands and runs nice routes, but doesn't show speed to separate from defenders vertically or on crossing routes. Would have to make his living sitting down in zones or making a lot of contested catches.

Looks like he gets to point of attack to block, but not going to move many defenders with slight frame and lack of power displayed. Looks like a move TE that runs a 4.75 and wont separate from NFL defenders. Looks like a bigger WR more than TE.

I think he is a #2 TE like Jesse James, but not a good of a blocker. I wouldn't spend a 2nd on him like the breakdown suggests he is.

Shoes
03-11-2019, 04:15 PM
Looked at his Kentucky and Ole Miss games. Shows good hands and runs nice routes, but doesn't show speed to separate from defenders vertically or on crossing routes. Would have to make his living sitting down in zones or making a lot of contested catches.

Looks like he gets to point of attack to block, but not going to move many defenders with slight frame and lack of power displayed. Looks like a move TE that runs a 4.75 and wont separate from NFL defenders. Looks like a bigger WR more than TE.

I think he is a #2 TE like Jesse James, but not a good of a blocker. I wouldn't spend a 2nd on him like the breakdown suggests he is.

Neither would I, we need to gain a level or two over JJ

hawaiiansteeler
03-12-2019, 12:24 AM
Don't be surprised if the Steelers trade Schuster for a 7th round pick next season.

come on now, we can get at least a 3rd and a 5th for JuJu...

Fire Goodell
03-12-2019, 01:26 AM
Raiders are gonna trade him to NE for a 4th round pick after he bombs this season

Butch
03-12-2019, 07:24 AM
Winner Vegas They (Vegas and the NFL) will do whatever it takes to make the Raiders a contender before the team gets to. I feel it will be very much like the Knights in hockey and like the Rams this year. Why else would the Steelers take a 3 and 5 for one of the top WRs in the league when they held all the cards? I look no further than roger.

86WARD
03-12-2019, 07:34 PM
Browns just made the Steelers look like even bigger losers today!

cubanstogie
03-13-2019, 10:49 AM
on paper sure. Steelers have made Browns look and feel like losers for decades and until I see Browns success I won't believe its coming. I do see them as biggest threat in division. Ratbirds D has been torn apart, so now lets see what Lamar does without it. Bengals will still suck. If we can draft an immediate impact LB and sign Williams at WR, Steeler will be fine IMO. Lots of draft pics, hard to believe all 10 or whatever they have will be busts.

DesertSteel
03-13-2019, 10:52 AM
Yes I think the Browns have already won the Super Bowl and Baker Mayfield was just fitted for his gold jacket!!! And the Lakers signed LeBron so they're going to win the NBA Championship this year!!!

Fire Goodell
03-13-2019, 11:16 AM
The way I see it, the Steelers and Raiders both lose. AB won.

AB got what he wanted, plain and simple. Money, guaranteed money, lots of it. Won't win a championship, sure, but judging by this move, he doesn't care as long as he gets more 300k cars, helicopter rides, and fur coats.

Steelers lose a great player and eat a massive cap hit for not great compensation, but we at least get *something*. We've gotten about a 50% success rate on 3rd round picks, and we added a high 3rd.

Raiders gain a great player, who has never endured a losing season, so it's highly likely that he will be disgruntled. Also gave him the highest paying contract for a WR, on a team that needed much more than a WR to be a contender. They will still continue their losing ways while at the same time, taking a major hit to their salary cap. They still have a lot of high draft picks, which if used well, could make them a good team, right in time for AB to want a new big contract extension lol.

86WARD
03-13-2019, 11:44 AM
Yes I think the Browns have already won the Super Bowl and Baker Mayfield was just fitted for his gold jacket!!! And the Lakers signed LeBron so they're going to win the NBA Championship this year!!!

Giants got 1, 3 and Peppers for a receiver that could arguably NOT be a Top-5 WR in the league.

Steelers got 3 and 5 for a receiver that is arguably the best WR in the league.

Both are head cases. Both have issues. One is just a lot more talented than the other.

cubanstogie
03-13-2019, 12:03 PM
Giants got 1, 3 and Peppers for a receiver that could arguably NOT be a Top-5 WR in the league.

Both are head cases. Both have issues. One is just a lot more talented than the other.
lets see if AB is actually the best WR this year. A receivers success is so dependent on having good QB. IF he has same kind of success I will be impressed. Im really hoping he and LB have shit years so my rationale is a little jaded but Im not seeing AB being the top receiver this year, or maybe even top 5. Ju Ju had as many clutch plays as AB last year. Some say its due to AB, probably a little but he still had to make the plays. Odell will be 26 when season starts, AB 31. Its not quite apples to apples either IMO. I will be first to admit I thought a first round pick was guaranteed for AB, and am disappointed with compensation but after all the drama of last year and the way he quit on team in week 17 I am relieved to get rid of him.

Fire Goodell
03-13-2019, 12:06 PM
Age is probably the main reason why OBJ got a much higher return. If AB were 26, headaches or not, teams would have been banging the door down for him.

OR the Steeler FO would have paid him that guaranteed money he wanted.

Born2Steel
03-13-2019, 12:06 PM
I’m tired of trying to determine who won or lost a trade before a single snap of the football. Did the Steelers improve themselves with this trade is all I care about. I think that answer is yes as of today. Time will tell the rest of the story.

Fire Goodell
03-13-2019, 12:10 PM
I’m tired of trying to determine who won or lost a trade before a single snap of the football. Did the Steelers improve themselves with this trade is all I care about. I think that answer is yes as of today. Time will tell the rest of the story.

Considering the fact that AB would have sat out the entire year unless paid money, that the FO wouldn't have paid him... I'd have to agree. We'd have a repeat of a Bell situation that would have been a distraction all year. And who knows, more than a year since there was 3 years left on the contract.

Now? It appears we wiped the slate clean of distractions which is a plus. We get a high 3rd, and Colbert has a 50%-ish hit rate on 3rd round picks. If we can net another Conner, Hargrave, Sanders type player as a result of this, I'd consider it a W.

86WARD
03-13-2019, 01:26 PM
Age is probably the main reason why OBJ got a much higher return. If AB were 26, headaches or not, teams would have been banging the door down for him.

OR the Steeler FO would have paid him that guaranteed money he wanted.

The injury issues that OBJ has, it’s not out of the question that ABs career lasts just as long as OBJs from this point on.

Fire Goodell
03-13-2019, 01:27 PM
I know, but psychologically most GM's will pause when they see 31, but not so much 26

steelreserve
03-13-2019, 01:41 PM

It is pretty clear that we got less than Brown was worth if we had really tried. The only question is whether there is really something so wrong with the guy that it is more important than a first-round draft pick and a player. Takes a lot of intangibles to make up for that much ...

SteelMember
03-13-2019, 03:00 PM
So, if the Browns gave the Steelers the same exact deal, ya'll would be happy with that? Hmm

Once the Steelers edited their list of where they'd let him go, and Brown poo-poo's the ones he doesn't want, there aren't a lot of options left.
Yeah, sure let him ride the bench to prove a point, but there's no way this team was going to go through another season of answering for a guy that didn't want to be there.
Not if they could help it anyway.

OBJ will get his contract reworked and be the highest paid wideout again. Then what do you think Brown does? Think of all the money he just banked... no. He's thinking of how much more OBJ is getting.
wash... rinse... repeat. He seemed a lot happier I think when he was working his way up from a 6th rounder and getting paid. The climb, if you will.
Now, that he's at the top, he's gonna have to fight off every dog out there nipping at his heels.

okay, a 3 and a 5, not great but they average a low 2nd. Which, if the Steelers wanted to trade their 20 and 52, they could get "close" to #10 and step in front of the Bengals for *someone... and still would have that "late 2nd rounder". The Steelers have 10 picks this year. They need to make some moves with them.

Anyway, he's gone now. Don't like how it happened. Wish he hadn't lost his mind, but now all we have is the lemons. So, make lemonade. :noidea:

#usemoreclichés :chuckle:

steelreserve
03-13-2019, 03:36 PM
Uh ... that's not lemonade.

Glass of piss, anyone?

Dwinsgames
03-13-2019, 04:13 PM

hawaiiansteeler
03-13-2019, 04:16 PM
Antonio Brown's introductory press conference with the Oakland #Raiders is running late. He's yet to show up at the facility.

Raiders might as well learn right away to play by AB's rules...

Dwinsgames
03-13-2019, 04:20 PM
Raiders might as well learn right away to play by AB's rules...

:lol:

zulater
03-13-2019, 04:31 PM

One hasn't spent the last two months poisoning all the wells and burning all the bridges on his way out of town.

- - - Updated - - -

Lmao!

Fire Goodell
03-13-2019, 05:45 PM
One hasn't spent the last two months poisoning all the wells and burning all the bridges on his way out of town.

- - - Updated - - -

Lmao!

Man, you can't be serious. I can't say I'm not surprised though.

JayC
03-13-2019, 06:02 PM
so when do we get our top 40 draft pick.. the 3rd and 5th was a joke, right???

AtlantaDan
03-13-2019, 06:28 PM
Some thoughts from AB at today's press conference

On whether he regrets anything that’s happened with the Steelers over the past year

“To any kid out there, from Pittsburgh … Pittsburgh will always be my family. Those guys gave me a chance when I was a 21-year-old kid. Obviously, people listen to the things that are being said and written. At the end of the day, it’s all about how you make people feel. I think I made people feel really great and really inspired. The way they watched me go to work. The way they watched me play. And I know Steeler Nation is having a bad day today, but it’s always love. I encourage every kid who ever watched me work and were inspired by everything I’ve done. And I hope I can continue to be a good example, continue to be a good role model and continue to inspire people all over.”

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2019/03/13/antonio-brown-raiders-steelers-trade/stories/201903130138

Like everyone on this forum, I know I have been really inspired by AB chucking furniture off a balcony and hope he can continue to be a good role model for the kids, including but not limited to Ben's kids on the 2019 Steelers.

Shoes
03-13-2019, 07:38 PM
Some thoughts from AB at today's press conference

On whether he regrets anything that’s happened with the Steelers over the past year

“To any kid out there, from Pittsburgh … Pittsburgh will always be my family. Those guys gave me a chance when I was a 21-year-old kid. Obviously, people listen to the things that are being said and written. At the end of the day, it’s all about how you make people feel. I think I made people feel really great and really inspired. The way they watched me go to work. The way they watched me play. And I know Steeler Nation is having a bad day today, but it’s always love. I encourage every kid who ever watched me work and were inspired by everything I’ve done. And I hope I can continue to be a good example, continue to be a good role model and continue to inspire people all over.”

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2019/03/13/antonio-brown-raiders-steelers-trade/stories/201903130138

Like everyone on this forum, I know I have been really inspired by AB chucking furniture off a balcony and hope he can continue to be a good role model for the kids, including but not limited to Ben's kids on the 2019 Steelers.

Encourage? inspire? a great example? Your words are meaningless, you don't hold true to your commitments, you scratch, kick and scream to get your way and throw your teammates and coaches and owner under the bus, you place yourself above the team and everything Steelers. Then after that, you screw them one final time by making sure they get shit for picks. What an absurdity and contradiction. The guy is a mental case. If I were AJRII I'd ban the number 84 forever.

Fire Goodell
03-13-2019, 07:46 PM
AB inspired Lamar Jackson to go over 100 mph on the highway, but take it even a step further and record it! :chuckle:

vasteeler
03-13-2019, 07:52 PM
I still can't believe it went down this way. For years AB was the fucking man. To think what could have been with him and Ben. Could of been the best QB/WR combo ever. Just makes me sick to think about it...Fuck Antonio Brown

DesertSteel
03-13-2019, 08:09 PM
When you read Colbert’s comments about the AB trade he comes across so unpolished. He basically said nothing other than it was a good deal for the Steelers. I’m glad AB is gone at this point but I’m not drinking that Kool-Aid.

Shoes
03-13-2019, 08:22 PM
When you read Colbert’s comments about the AB trade he comes across so unpolished. He basically said nothing other than it was a good deal for the Steelers. I’m glad AB is gone at this point but I’m not drinking that Kool-Aid.

Agreed, the scary part to me is, I think Rooney, Colbert, and Tomlin all think alike.

DesertSteel
03-13-2019, 08:36 PM
[/B]Agreed, the scary part to me is, I think Rooney, Colbert, and Tomlin all think alike.
They must all go on bonding retreats during the offseason.

munchy
03-13-2019, 08:51 PM
[/B]Agreed, the scary part to me is, I think Rooney, Colbert, and Tomlin all think alike.

they all think everything is fine and that they had nothing to do with AB acting the way he did
AB bent over rooney= rooney takes a photo with him and says nice things
AB bent over colbert = colbert says what a great player and team mate he was and says we made out good with the draft picks
thank god the HC (head clown) doesnt have a microphone in front of him

trying to make ourselves feel better about the AB trade by saying 'wait until he does this or that' is ignorant. who cares about the raiders? we need to focus on how ignorant our leadership is.
'we're not going to change the way we do things'.................really?

AtlantaDan
03-13-2019, 08:58 PM

Tougher to come across as polished when you have to pretend what happened rather than say what actually happened.

Colbert presumably would have been more polished if he admitted this situation has been falling apart for years with a player who wanted more money that we were not going to give him and once we decided to get rid of him at any cost we got little in return because he screwed us repeatedly with his public comments while dictating where he would go

Mojouw
03-13-2019, 09:34 PM
I guess they could go scorched earth and trash AB loudly and repeatedly. Put out every issue, mistake, and bad action by the player. Clown on his demands and $$$ issues.

But what in the how many years of this franchise makes anyone believe that Rooney would ever sign off on that? They have never, even when well deserved, trashed a player.

Also, you start trashing guys, wonder how long before other NFL players start crossing you off the list...I suspect there is a strong and deep divide between public presentation and private beliefs.

AtlantaDan
03-13-2019, 09:37 PM
The guy is a mental case. If I were AJRII I'd ban the number 84 forever.

I would try to make certain someone on the 2019 team wears #84.

Only the numbers of Ernie Stautner (#70) and Mean Joe have been retired while a few other numbers (such as 12, 32, 58) for Steelers greats have not been recirculated. AB certainly does belong not in that company after burning his bridges.

Better to send the message that he is now just another former player who lost any entitlement to being grouped with those having a number that does not get passed along and that the Steelers are looking forward not back.

Bluecoat96
03-13-2019, 09:39 PM

Only the numbers of Ernie Stautner (#70) and Mean Joe have been retired while a few other numbers (such as 12, 32, 58) for Steelers greats have not been recirculated. AB certainly does belong not in that company after burning his bridges.

Better to send the message that he is now just another former player who lost any entitlement to being grouped with those having a number that does not get passed along and that the Steelers are looking forward not back.What if juju changed his number to 84? Lol.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

AtlantaDan
03-13-2019, 09:43 PM
I guess they could go scorched earth and trash AB loudly and repeatedly. Put out every issue, mistake, and bad action by the player. Clown on his demands and $$$ issues.

But what in the how many years of this franchise makes anyone believe that Rooney would ever sign off on that? They have never, even when well deserved, trashed a player.

Also, you start trashing guys, wonder how long before other NFL players start crossing you off the list...I suspect there is a strong and deep divide between public presentation and private beliefs.

Was not suggesting that Colbert go down that road, which would be counterproductive.

Just saying it requires a particular skill set to be able to claim a five star cluster had a favorable outcome with the same apparent credibility as telling the truth. Colbert apparently is not among those having that talent.

Shoes
03-13-2019, 09:53 PM

Better to send the message that he is now just another former player who lost any entitlement to being grouped with those having a number that does not get passed along and that the Steelers are looking forward not back.

Good point, TJ Hockenson can wears #84. :chuckle:

DesertSteel
03-13-2019, 09:56 PM
Good point, TJ Hockenson can wears #84. :chuckle:
I’d love it but I think he’ll be gone. If not, I think the Steelers may take him.

Shoes
03-13-2019, 10:02 PM
I’d love it but I think he’ll be gone. If not, I think the Steelers may take him.

Yeah, I think he'll be gone too. Just hope NE Bill doesn't get him or Fant.

Mojouw
03-13-2019, 10:04 PM
Was not suggesting that Colbert go down that road, which would be counterproductive.

Just saying it requires a particular skill set to be able to claim a five star cluster had a favorable outcome with the same apparent credibility as telling the truth. Colbert apparently is not among those having that talent.

I get that. I was basically agreeing with you. I have no problem with an NFL GM not being a press secretary level spin doctor.

Everyone knows it was a turd sandwich and Colbert can just go out there, fall on the grenade, grit his teeth, and smile through it all.

86WARD
03-14-2019, 04:20 AM
Yeah, I think he'll be gone too. Just hope NE Bill doesn't get him or Fant.

He’s getting one of them...lol.

Dwinsgames
03-15-2019, 04:40 PM