PDA

View Full Version : The End of the Steelers’ Non-dynasty

AtlantaDan
03-10-2019, 09:35 AM
Pretty scathing takedown in The Ringer of where the Steelers now are at and how they got there

There was a moment between 2009 and 2012 when they seemed on the brink of a dynasty. But since then Pittsburgh has relatively little to show for its regular-season win totals....

It seems unlikely they’ll be able to stay in the Valley of Not Quite Good Enough much longer....

It’s clear that Pittsburgh’s sudden uptick in offense stemmed more from the breakthroughs by Bell and Brown than from any sudden advancement by Roethlisberger. Big Ben is roughly the same QB he’s always been—and seems likely to decline with age—but when two incredible playmakers joined the Steelers, Pittsburgh’s offense shot through the roof. And yet Pittsburgh now has to build around Roethlisberger rather than the two elite talents who wanted to walk away....

It might be rational to side with superior talents like Brown and Bell over an aging player on the decline, but it’s hard to be rational when handling a franchise mainstay, especially if he’s been a critical part of a dynasty. But we have to remember: These Steelers never had a dynasty. They achieved some magnificent successes more than a decade ago, and have managed to put forth a quality roster each and every year since. But that’s not a dynasty. It’s just a pretty good team. And I doubt Pittsburgh will even be able to sustain that standard after shedding its best players to appease a past-his-prime quarterback who used to play for great teams.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/3/10/18257050/antonio-brown-trade-steelers-ben-roethlisberger-leveon-bell

Neversatisfied
03-10-2019, 09:42 AM
Boy, that was some bad tasting medicine.

86WARD
03-10-2019, 09:51 AM
You need go no,further than this:

How did Steelers squads that won 10, 12, 11, and 13 games, respectively, lose playoff matchups to teams that started quarterbacks David Garrard, Tim Tebow, Joe Flacco, and Blake Bortles?

NCSteeler
03-10-2019, 09:57 AM

How did Steelers squads that won 10, 12, 11, and 13 games, respectively, lose playoff matchups to teams that started quarterbacks David Garrard, Tim Tebow, Joe Flacco, and Blake Bortles?Yep this is a badly run team for the most part over the last ten years has done nothing out side the regular season. Brown and Bell and all third talent did nothing to change that.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

86WARD
03-10-2019, 10:08 AM
Killer Bs wound up killing their own team. Bryant, Bell, Brown, Ben (with his comments), Boswell (leading to the season they had).

Imagine what may have been had Haden not been called for that PI penalty. Had Jesse James’ TD counted.

Mojouw
03-10-2019, 10:23 AM
If they don't change how they do contracts, this will just repeat itself in some version with Watt and Juju.

fansince'76
03-10-2019, 11:05 AM
So, in other words, it's all Roethlisberger's fault. :rolleyes:

Born2Steel
03-10-2019, 11:08 AM
The evidence and the Steelers history tells me this will end up being a very good move. Give up some ground here in order to gain even more later.

pczach
03-10-2019, 11:17 AM
Will anyone remember this take or own up to being wrong if they win 11-12 games next year and make a run?

Steelerchad
03-10-2019, 11:17 AM
No doubt it will be difficult to replace the on field talent of Bell and Brown.
Conner did an admirable job replacing Bell's production. Probably, not quite the threat of Bell, but if Bell was a 9.5 out of 10, Conner was at least an 8.5.
JuJu has shown flashes of greatness. Probably the same argument here. If Brown was a 9.5, JuJu's production has been an 8.5.
The trick here is to find the WR2 production so teams can't double and shut him down. If James Washington can develop, we might have something.
Fact is, as great as these 2 were, we didn't win many big games with them. Not really team guys, a little selfish, self centered, and unwilling to accept coaching or authority.
For all the positives they brought, there were a few negatives that were big enough to keep us from getting over the top.
We cut out the cancer in my opinion and it will be tough to win without them, but we were never going to do it with them either.
If nothing else, this could be the end for Ben. If the offense doesn't come together this year, he may hang it up and we'll see if Mason Rudolph is going to be the guy.

Edman
03-10-2019, 12:28 PM
We cut out the cancer in my opinion and it will be tough to win without them, but we were never going to do it with them either.

The source of the cancer is still on the team. Mike Tomlin is still the coach, and Ben is still on the team as the de-facto "leader".

The Steelers didn't cure the cancer, they just cut the tumors.

Shoes
03-10-2019, 12:42 PM
The evidence and the Steelers history tells me this will end up being a very good move. Give up some ground here in order to gain even more later.

The evidence and history are the Steelers have always had a steady hand on the rudder and they no longer do. AJRII, Colbert, and Tomlin remind me of Baghdad Bob and his two brothers.

Born2Steel
03-10-2019, 12:44 PM
The evidence and history are the Steelers have always had a steady hand on the rudder and they no longer do. AJRII, Colbert, and Tomlin remind me of Baghdad Bob and his two brothers.

How so?

Shoes
03-10-2019, 12:51 PM
How so?

Because Dan Rooney is the person who made the Steelers who they are. His Dad didn't and his son at this point isn't either. The only hope for this turning around is the guy holding the rudder.

Born2Steel
03-10-2019, 12:58 PM
Because Dan Rooney is the person who made the Steelers who they are. His Dad didn't and his son at this point isn't either. The only hope for this turning around is the guy holding the rudder.

That's ridiculous.

dislocatedday
03-10-2019, 01:00 PM
My god..........that article makes it seem like the Steelers are failures because they did not have a dynasty in this century during the Roethlisberger years. In the Super Bowl era there have been 4 squads that had "dynasty periods"..........70s Steelers, 80s 49ers, 90s Cowboys, and the Patriots in this century. The Steelers have been to 3 Super Bowls in the Ben era and won 2 of those. This is tremendous success anyway you slice it, even if it is not a dynasty.

Now there is this narrative out there that Ben wanted these guys gone and said it's "me or them". That is complete hogwash, and other reports indicated Ben reached out to AB several times since the end of the season, and Ben himself stated that in week 17 and shortly thereafter he tried to communicate with Brown but he would not talk with him.........would he have done that if he absolutely wanted him gone? What a bunch of horseshit reporting.

AB's behavior was about money first and foremost..........and I still think he was also upset that JuJu had more receptions than him this season and was voted team MVP.

Shoes
03-10-2019, 01:15 PM
That's ridiculous.

Thanks. enjoy the day and your evidence & history. :chuckle:

st33lersguy
03-10-2019, 01:22 PM
2004-2010 was a great era of Steelers football. Since 2011 however, nothing but a perpetually underachieving disappointment

ALLD
03-10-2019, 02:15 PM

QFT!

Dan is the managerial reason for all the Steeler Super Bowl wins.

DesertSteel
03-10-2019, 07:33 PM

How did Steelers squads that won 10, 12, 11, and 13 games, respectively, lose playoff matchups to teams that started quarterbacks David Garrard, Tim Tebow, Joe Flacco, and Blake Bortles?
Michael Pettaway Tomlin (born March 15, 1972)

hawaiiansteeler
03-10-2019, 07:59 PM
So, in other words, it's all Roethlisberger's fault. :rolleyes:

I'm sure somewhere Tomlin is to blame also...