PDA

View Full Version : Raiders reportedly discussed AB but hesitancy could lead to other options at WR

hawaiiansteeler
03-07-2019, 02:25 PM
Raiders reportedly discussed Antonio Brown but hesitancy could lead to other options at WR

Oakland desperately needs downfield targets but free agency and the draft could preclude them from making a run at Brown

by Ryan Wilson

Here's what we know: Antonio Brown isn't long for the Steelers. Beyond that, much is left to be decided. CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora has said that the Steelers are expecting first-round value for Brown, who will be 31 this offseason, and ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that a deal is expected to be in place by Friday.

The Raiders have been mentioned as a likely landing spot, partly because they have three first-round picks but also because they're in desperate need of a downfield playmaker. Oh, and coach Jon Gruden appears to be really fond of Brown, who remains one of the best players in the league.

"He can run every route you dream up," Gruden said of Brown back on Dec. 5. "I say that about other receivers, but he can run double move. He can run by you. He can run crossing routes. He's very good after the catch. What's the greatest thing about this man, I've told all of our receivers, if you get a chance to watch him practice, you'll see what unlocks the greatness in him.

"He's the hardest-working man, I think, in football," Gruden continued. "Hardest-working player I've ever seen practice. I've seen Jerry Rice. I've seen a lot of good ones. But I put Antonio Brown at the top. If there are any young wideouts out there, I'd go watch him practice. You figure out yourself why he's such a good player."

That is high praise, especially for a coach who had no real deep threat last season after shipping Amari Cooper to the Cowboys. But it's not all unicorns and rainbows; even the Raiders reportedly have some concerns about bringing Brown to Oakland.

to read rest of article:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/raiders-reportedly-discussed-antonio-brown-but-hesitancy-could-lead-to-other-options-at-wr/

Fire Goodell
03-07-2019, 02:39 PM
I hope we get an official announcement tomorrow night or latest next week. I'm tired of this circus

hawaiiansteeler
03-07-2019, 03:31 PM
Raiders getting cold feet in trade for Antonio Brown

By BRYAN DEARDO

Antonio Brown seemed destined to end up in Oakland after initial reports stated that the Raiders were the most serious team in trading for the league's reigning leader in touchdown receptions. Now, multiple reporters that cover the Raiders are suggesting that the team may decide that trading a first round pick in exchange for Brown may not be in the team's best interests.

Michael Gehlken of the Las Vegas Review has written that Brown's demands for a new contract have left the Raiders "unsettled" when it comes to committing to giving up a first round pick for Brown.

to read rest of article:

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/Raiders-getting-cold-feet-in-trade-for-Antonio-Brown-129820247/

st33lersguy
03-07-2019, 03:43 PM
Well looks like the team won't be getting 2 first round picks in 2019, may have to wait until someone gets injured during the season to get a 1st for him

cubanstogie
03-07-2019, 03:50 PM
The Raiders are just plain stupid. Gruden needs to do something to show they want to win. Getting rid of Cooper and Mack was throwing in the towel last year. With AB he is instant production as opposed to drafting WR who won't produce right away as the number 1 guy. Its a no brainer, they still have 2 number ones and AB. Like most have said better to keep than take less than first. Even a late first is a crap shoot in draft. effing Raiders.

GoSlash27
03-07-2019, 04:03 PM
AB keeps talking his way out of a job :) It'd be hilarious if he spent another year unemployed.

st33lersguy
03-07-2019, 04:08 PM
Steelers need to remember they hold all the cards and they need to make a deal that is best for them, not the whiny diva, not the team unwilling to pay the price the Cowboys paid for Amari Cooper (who at best is maybe 20% the WR AB is), but them

silver & black
03-07-2019, 04:12 PM
The Raiders are just plain stupid. Gruden needs to do something to show they want to win. Getting rid of Cooper and Mack was throwing in the towel last year. With AB he is instant production as opposed to drafting WR who won't produce right away as the number 1 guy. Its a no brainer, they still have 2 number ones and AB. Like most have said better to keep than take less than first. Even a late first is a crap shoot in draft. effing Raiders.

Now it's the Raiders' fault you can't/maybe get another #1 because YOU want rid of "the problem"? The Raiders are rebuilding from the ground up, damn near. Why should they give a #1 pick for a known head case.... no matter how good he is? He will be what, 32 when we get to Vegas? I'd rather draft or sign in FA another WR for a lot less money than AB will command.

If the Raiders were a piece or two away from making a run, I'd be all for it. As it is, we'll be lucky to win 6 games next year. It makes no sense for the Raiders to pay AB at this point.

Who knows, you might get your wish anyway.

vader29
03-07-2019, 04:22 PM
Now it's the Raiders' fault you can't/maybe get another #1 because YOU want rid of "the problem"? The Raiders are rebuilding from the ground up, damn near. Why should they give a #1 pick for a known head case.... no matter how good he is? He will be what, 32 when we get to Vegas? I'd rather draft or sign in FA another WR for a lot less money than AB will command.

If the Raiders were a piece or two away from making a run, I'd be all for it. As it is, we'll be lucky to win 6 games next year. It makes no sense for the Raiders to pay AB at this point.

Who knows, you might get your wish anyway.

Pay the man! And F the Raiders! :chuckle:

Fire Goodell
03-07-2019, 05:53 PM
Now it's the Raiders' fault you can't/maybe get another #1 because YOU want rid of "the problem"?

Why? WHY?? Cause they're the Raiders, that's why! You guys took care of our other problem (Martavis Bryant), now take care of our other one! Pony up!!!! :chuckle:

hawaiiansteeler
03-07-2019, 06:24 PM
NFL Rumors - March 7 Updates:

The Redskins and Titans have removed themselves from the Antonio Brown sweepstakes. - Dianna Marie Russini, ESPN

I imagine that this is because Pittsburgh's asking price is too high. I'll be surprised if the Steelers get the first-round pick they want for Brown, as teams are wary of acquiring an aging, diva receiver who seems to be on the verge of a mental breakdown.

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors#UvrwRGIMDBL0hkpd.99

86WARD
03-07-2019, 06:51 PM
NFL Rumors - March 7 Updates:

The Redskins and Titans have removed themselves from the Antonio Brown sweepstakes. - Dianna Marie Russini, ESPN

I imagine that this is because Pittsburgh's asking price is too high. I'll be surprised if the Steelers get the first-round pick they want for Brown, as teams are wary of acquiring an aging, diva receiver who seems to be on the verge of a mental breakdown.

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors#UvrwRGIMDBL0hkpd.99

The Titans at 19 wouldve been a nice trade with something else.

So according to reports, there's no one left to trade with...lol. Jets, Broncos, Cardinals, Redskins, Titans are "out". Raiders are second guessing. That leaves Seattle with the 21st pick?

86WARD
03-07-2019, 08:34 PM
And now the Saints are ruled out...lol.

dislocatedday
03-07-2019, 08:39 PM
I agree with Silver and Black above in that trading for AB and giving up a first rounder only makes sense for a team that could theoretically compete for a SB over the next couple years, which is likely what AB has left as far as performing at an elite level.

To me, it seems like giving up their first rounder for AB would make some sense for the following teams, who could use him:

Carolina
Seattle
New Orleans
Green Bay
Indianapolis
Kansas City
Los Angeles Rams

You can debate just how close to being able to compete for a Super Bowl some of these teams actually are, but all these teams could be playoff teams.

I think AB talking about wanting a "new deal" from whatever team he goes to has been the thorn that has made more teams shy away from him. I think the main reason he wants out of Pittsburgh now is that he knows in 2-3 years time he will not get a new contract with big guaranteed $$$ anywhere, so he is making a play now to try and get one last big contract with huge money upfront. His repeated bulls**t about Ben, Tomlin, and just wanting to go somewhere where the players want to win, is a complete ruse and smokescreen for what he really wants..........which is $$$$.

Shoes
03-07-2019, 08:40 PM
AB shot all his toes off. :lol: