PDA

View Full Version : Ranking positional needs 2019

st33lersguy
03-05-2019, 02:59 PM
NFL free agency is a little over a week away so it is time once again to rank the positional needs from most pressing to least pressing. Usually there are 3 pressing needs on the team, this year I thought up 4.

1. Cornerback: The position conists of Joe Haden who is hitting 30 and has missed some time, Mike Hilton who is a solid slot corner but too small to be a boundary corner, and players ranging from backups at best (and that may be generous) to guys who shouldn't be on active rosters. The need remains after the Artie Burns experiment crashed and burned (get it?)

2. Inside Linebacker: This was a pressing need last year, but all they did was sign backup journeyman Jon Bostic and sign athletic Matthew Thomas as an UDFA before letting him go to the Ratbirds late in the year. Predictably the defense suffered from it. Bostic is a back-up level player who can't player, Vince Williams is solid against the run but not against the pass and he should not be your team's best ILB. The loss of Shazier was devastating and he will likely not be replaced fully but they at least need to upgrade to at least solid

3. Outside Linebacker: This was another need from last year that wasn't sufficiently addressed. TJ Watt had a nice year overall and made a splash in some games but outside of him there isn't a starting caliber OLB on the roster. Contrary to what the FO and some fans will try and argue Bud Dupree is a mediocre at best player who only occasionally does something and he has woefully underperformed his first round billing, and the depth is non-existent. At the very least they need another starting caliber edge rusher and some backups to effectively spell the starters and keep them fresh

4. Wide Receiver: AB, or Mr. Big Mouth, or wannabe Hulk Hogan or whatever he wants to call himself now is gone. If they don't trade him, all indication is he will pull a Carson Palmer and sit out until he is traded. Without Mr. Big Ego they will need another starting WR behind Juju as the rest of the WRs did not step up much last year

5. Safety: There are definitely bodies on the roster but question marks remain. Morgan Burnett (supposedly the top free agent safety last year) was utterly useless and now wants to be released for being utterly useless. Sean Davis is athlete who hasn't panned out as an NFL draft pick. The most promising at this point is Terrell Edmunds who looks like he could develop into a solid player if the Steelers ever decide to get solid defensive coaching but talent is scarce here.

6. Tight end: There could be depth issues with Jesse James presumably wanting to leave the Pittsburgh circus and Vance McDonald remains an injury concern, however I don't think they are as bad a shape here as they are in the places above

7. Offensive Line: Depth is an issue, Ramon Foster is likely gone, and now this unit looks like it will regress after Munchak decided the shitshow in Denver was more palatable than staying in Pittsburgh. The bright side is annual pro bowlers DeCastro and Pouncey

8. Running back: I don't think RB is much of an issue though they may regress if the O-line regresses. I think the biggest issue is getting someone better than Ridley as the no. 3 back. Connor proved how expendable Bell was and was dynamite when Fichtner actually ran the ball. Even Jaylen Samuel as a 6th round rookie had a 100 yard game in relief of Connor. I don't think this is worth spending significant resources on

9. Quarterback: Ben is still here and they have drafted a couple young guys to serve as backup/understudy. They drafted Rudolph who appears to have the right attitude, just needs better coaching

10. Defensive Line: The strongest position right now. Cam, Tuitt, Hargrave when he plays, Alualu as a nice back-up. Biggest issue is finding someone better than McCullers which doesn't make much if anything

Hound
03-05-2019, 03:12 PM
I would swap O Line and D line.

st33lersguy
04-15-2019, 11:23 PM
An updated look at positional needs headed to the draft
1. OLB: Their only moves thus far have been grossly overpaying to keep Bud Dupree and Anthony Chickillo. They still need a viable starter and some depth here (and no despite what some instance, Bud Dupree is not a viable starter, and paying him $9.2 mil to make minimal impact is not the best option at OLB)

2. ILB: With the addition of Mark Barron combined with Bostic and VW, they have an amalgamation of a high impact starter. However, they don't have a high impact starter, as the loss of Ryan Shazier continues to hurt the team. Unfortunately in such an incredibly weak class, all the potential high impact starters are likely gone at pick 20

3. TE: I underestimated the need for a TE the initial go-round as I accounted for Jesse James' likely departure. Vance McDonald is the only viable TE and he is injury prone. After that it is Xavier Grimble, one of a handful of shitty players and coaches the Steelers are keeping.

4. S: Morgan Burnett is now a Brown (he was useless anyway). What remains at the position is 2nd round flop Sean Davis and the organization hoping someone on the coaching staff can develop Terrell Edmunds into a functional safety. Starter upgrade is needed

5. CB: Some will disagree and put it higher. While free agency is no sure thing, on paper Steven Nelson mitigates the need for a CB (albeit many mock drafts I have read act like the Steven Nelson signing never happened). Heading into '19 you got Haden, Nelson, and Hilton. Depth is an issue and Haden has age concerns but I don't see this as a pressing need others do. There isn't a CB worth taking at pick 20 anyway

6. WR: AB was officially traded.....for probably a project that never develops and a practice squad player. While WR is another popular position mocked they signed Donte Moncreif who looks like an able no. 2 behind Juju. Again depth is needed but I don't see this as an immediate need that is was before free agency.

7. OL: Gilbert was (somehow) traded for a 6th. While they have starters, they could use depth.

8. RB: For some reason, people act like this is some pressing need. It isn't. I've even seen someone mock RB to the 3rd round. Connor and Samuels behind an elite run-blocking OL is fine. At most they need a no. 3 RB, a guy who likely doesn't reach 20 carries on the season. A UDFA can do that job.

9. QB: They still have the starter and they still have youth at the backups.

10. DL: This position is fine, even with Fat McCullers re-signed for 2 more years for some reason

SteelMember
04-16-2019, 08:33 AM
ILB
OLB
S
WR
CB
TE
DL

Born2Steel
04-16-2019, 08:35 AM
1. ILB
2. CB
3. OLB
4. WR
5. TE
6. Safety
7. RB
8. OL
9. DL
10. QB

Mojouw
04-16-2019, 03:14 PM
I am having a hard time on postions. But I do know what "roles" the roster is in need of:

1. Someone who causes turnovers.
2. Someone else who causes turnovers.
3. Someone that causes some more turnovers.
4. Someone with an otherworldly ability to create plays in the most critical situations when the entire universe knows they are getting the ball.
5. A TE who can block someone.
6. Someone who can provide a passing allusion to actual coverage between the hashes and 6-15 yards down the field.

What that translates to in terms of draft picks....no idea.

hawaiiansteeler
04-16-2019, 03:22 PM
I am having a hard time on postions. But I do know what "roles" the roster is in need of:

4. Someone with an otherworldly ability to create plays in the most critical situations when the entire universe knows they are getting the ball.
6. Someone who can provide a passing allusion to actual coverage between the hashes and 6-15 yards down the field.

we need "defensive playmakers", where are the splash plays from our secondary?

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/73633470.jpg

SteelMember
04-16-2019, 03:41 PM
Our current splash plays barely make a ripple anymore...

- - - Updated - - -

That would be [player A] and [player B]... I hope they are available when we pick. =)

Mojouw
04-16-2019, 09:35 PM
Our current splash plays barely make a ripple anymore...

- - - Updated - - -

That would be [player A] and [player B]... I hope they are available when we pick. =)

As long as it's not Player C. Clearly gonna be a bust!

Steeldude
04-18-2019, 02:41 AM
CB
OLB
S
ILB
TE
WR
DL
OL
K
RB
QB

Did everyone forget the kicker? Snag a top kicker in the late rounds. Or is everyone confident that Boswell will return to his first year form?

Steelerchad
04-18-2019, 08:12 PM
kickers rarely recover because they can't get over the mental hurdles necessary to do so. If Boswell starts shaky, I would not let that linger as they did last year. If his 3rd miss of an xtra or under 45 yard FG comes prior to 10 makes, he should hit the street.

munchy
04-19-2019, 09:34 AM
ilb
olb
cb
te
wr
s
dt
rb
ol

teegre
04-19-2019, 09:56 AM
As mojoUW stated:

1. Someone on defense who can generate turnovers.
2. Everything else.

Dwinsgames
04-19-2019, 06:40 PM
As mojoUW stated:

1. Someone on defense who can generate turnovers.
2. Everything else.

7 interceptions - 20 pass breakups in just 87 career targets met with Steelers at combine and was in for a personal visit .... Byron Murphy

steelreserve
04-19-2019, 07:07 PM
Remember that if we don't do something with OLB, that 4-year, $48 million contract for Dupree won't be an April Fools' joke next time. Think about how mad THAT will make you.

While adding Nelson does give us two decent CBs in the short term, remember that Haden is in the last year of his contract, so that could be a problem too if not addressed.

I think the Barron signing may well be their plan for ILB, so we may let that one go until the middle-round depth picks.

Translation: This is setting up perfectly for another "incredible raw talent, needs coaching" pick at CB or OLB, the two positions where we have done SO well with that kind of player. The need is even there but not so immediate we need a polished player this year ... I mean, how much more can we justify it to ourselves. I can practically hear Tomlin and Colbert dry-humping their list of athletic players who are dumbfucks right this moment. Crinkle crinkle crinkle.

teegre
04-19-2019, 09:59 PM
7 interceptions - 20 pass breakups in just 87 career targets met with Steelers at combine and was in for a personal visit .... Byron Murphy

There are many logical reasons why he could indeed be the pick:
-two meetings
-he creates turnovers
-Joe Haden is turning 30

https://triblive.com/sports/draft-cb-breakdown-steelers-could-take-shot-at-byron-murphy/

(As you know, my dark horse pick is Lonnie Johnson. The Steelers didn’t meet with him, but he’s really good.)

st33lersguy
04-19-2019, 10:08 PM
Another general individual they need is a defensive leader/alpha dog, someone the players can respond to

teegre
04-19-2019, 10:15 PM
Another general individual they need is a defensive leader/alpha dog, someone the players can respond to

:yup:

As good as TJ Watt and Cameron Heyward are, they aren’t a$$holes. Every good defense needs an a$$hole. Greg Lloyd, Joey Porter, Deebo...

DesertSteel
04-19-2019, 10:42 PM
(As you know, my dark horse pick is Lonnie Johnson. The Steelers didn’t meet with him, but he’s really good.)
WR/TE in R1 and LJ in R2. And the Alabama ILB in R3a.

hawaiiansteeler
04-19-2019, 11:52 PM

Every good defense needs an a$$hole. Greg Lloyd, Joey Porter, Deebo...

one of my fave Steelers pics ever:

https://taylorblitztimes.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/greg-lloyd1.jpg

steelcityboyz
04-20-2019, 11:35 AM
7 interceptions - 20 pass breakups in just 87 career targets met with Steelers at combine and was in for a personal visit .... Byron MurphyDwinsgames.. Who in your opinion is the better pick if they both are avaliable.. Byron Murphy or Greedy Williams? Only asking because I don't follow the draft as much as I should.

teegre
04-20-2019, 12:54 PM
WR/TE in R1 and LJ in R2. And the Alabama ILB in R3a.

If the R1 TE is Hockenson, then 100%!!!

Hakeem Butler has has been my guy for months, but AJ Brown is like the perfect mixture of Hines Ward & JuJu. I could see the latter being picked at 20 (and heads immediately exploding).

Johnson “was” a R4 pick just a week ago, but he’s the hottest riser in this draft.

In R3, Mack Wilson is good value; I don’t think he warrants consideration at 20 (sorry, Born2Steel). An ILB who would be a very good pick in R3 would be David Long (WVU).

RE-CAP:
R1: pass-catcher
R2: CB
R3: ILB

R1: Hockenson, Brown, or Butler
R2: Lonnie Johnson
R3: Long or Wilson

steelreserve
04-20-2019, 01:17 PM

As good as TJ Watt and Cameron Heyward are, they aren’t a$$holes. Every good defense needs an a$$hole. Greg Lloyd, Joey Porter, Deebo...

Unfortunately, we put all the assholes on offense lately ...

Mojouw
04-20-2019, 01:36 PM

Hakeem Butler has has been my guy for months, but AJ Brown is like the perfect mixture of Hines Ward & JuJu. I could see the latter being picked at 20 (and heads immediately exploding).

Johnson “was” a R4 pick just a week ago, but he’s the hottest riser in this draft.

In R3, Mack Wilson is good value; I don’t think he warrants consideration at 20 (sorry, Born2Steel). An ILB who would be a very good pick in R3 would be David Long (WVU).

RE-CAP:

I can get on board with that -- with a couple of minor concerns.

Lonnie Johnson is like an Artie Burns 2.0. All the physical tools are there, but he is just unrefined. He misses tackles, and sometimes seem to have guys just run past him because...? I think he has a low overall understanding of his role in the defense. If Johnson plays to his tools -- wooo boy! If he plays to his worst instincts....woo boy! Makes me nervous!

Also, I have decided to drive the Germaine Pratt over David Long or Mack Wilson train. Pratt is a bigger body than Long or Wilson. He is a better tackler than Long. Wilson makes me nervous because he has the risk of being just another in a long line of 'Bama defenders that looks great but never really amounts to much. Everything I have read on Pratt can only find a variety of ways to say the same negative - doesn't diagnose as quick as he should and needs work fighting through traffic. Basically EXACTLY what you would expect of a safety still learning to play LB. Long story short, Pratt made more splash plays in college, tackled better, and is a bit bigger. Only held back by his inexperience and unrefined technique. Lower floor, but higher ceiling. Gotta go Germaine.

But first round -- totally agree. And the other two rounds, wouldn't be mad at all. Just got concerns and a draft crush to get over!

Born2Steel
04-20-2019, 03:21 PM

RE-CAP:

In my (drive? eagerness? hunger?) QUEST to find an ILB in this draft class I guess I have lowered my standards on what I would accept at 20 at that position. Mack Wilson is most likely a round 3 talent that will be selected in round 2 and well before pick 52. I think Blake Cashman fits into that exact same box. Probably Germaine Pratt as well. My concern I guess is that when the run on safeties happens(Rd2 I think) it will also spur a run on 2nd tier ILBs/middle field defenders. I also see Tre Lamar as a poor man's Timmons, great size and speed, may go earlier than projected. I'm very ok with and actually hoping for these guys to be there in the 3rd round. That would be a very good thing. I am ok with, this draft only because need is so huge, reaching for the ILB position. It's not something I want or on my wishlist, I could understand if the Steelers did reach this year. AND if one of these guys is the answer at ILB, was it really a reach in the long run?

Dwinsgames
04-20-2019, 03:47 PM
Dwinsgames.. Who in your opinion is the better pick if they both are avaliable.. Byron Murphy or Greedy Williams? Only asking because I don't follow the draft as much as I should.

IMO Murphy is the more ready player , for me the only knock on him is 5'11 , would like to see him 2 inches taller but he is as much of a shutdown corner as you will find in this draft ( Baker is close for me shutdown wise ) but the ball skills of Murphy is a deal breaker for me and we without question need some guys with ball skills in the secondary our turnover ratio is abysmal ...

as to whom will have the better pro career its truly anyone's guess ... Murphy /Baker / Greedy all have the potential to become outstanding corners but likely only 1 or 2 of them do and 1 will become a Justin Gilbert / Artie Burns type ( that is what normally happens )

hawaiiansteeler
04-20-2019, 03:52 PM
IMO Murphy is the more ready player , for me the only knock on him is 5'11

and his slow 40 time of 4.55 he ran at the Combine.

Dwinsgames
04-20-2019, 03:54 PM
and his slow 40 time of 4.55 he ran at the Combine.

Joe Haden 4.57

hawaiiansteeler
04-20-2019, 04:12 PM
Joe Haden 4.57

Jerry Rice 4.71

Dwinsgames
04-20-2019, 04:45 PM
Jerry Rice 4.71

we all know he didn't play at that speed ( hence the problem with 40 times while wearing shorts vs being in pads )

Mojouw
04-20-2019, 05:16 PM

RE-CAP:

Butler catching passes from Ben might be a cheat code. I know he has inconsistent at best hands, but the physical size and ability to use that size to just go get the ball is going to translate well to the NFL.

Juju - 6'1" 215 lbs
Moncrief - 6'2" 221 bs
Washington - 5'11" 213 lbs
Butler - 6'5" 227 lbs

Now imagine that if those are your top 4 guys -- one of them will be coming at Mike Hilton sized DBs out of the slot. Would have to assume a slant is an autocompletion if they can just hang on to the ball...

And then later in the draft, I do this -- just to be funny: Jalen Hurd 6'4" 226 lbs.

Assuming all those guys could learn to run NFL routes and hang on to about 60% of their targets, there isn't an NFL secondary in the league right now that could find enough bodies to run with that top 5.

teegre
04-20-2019, 09:02 PM
I can get on board with that -- with a couple of minor concerns.

Lonnie Johnson

Germaine Pratt

But first round -- totally agree. And the other two rounds, wouldn't be mad at all. Just got concerns and a draft crush to get over!

JOHNSON:
Everything that you say it true. I was unaware of the kid, until he stood out at the Senior Bowl. I always take that as a good sign: playing well against (basically) the best out there. Also, he only played for two seasons (starting one) in the FBS. He is raw. All of that tells me that with a little bit of coaching, Johnson could be the best CB in this draft.

I know, I know... the dreaded “potential”, but they don’t make DBs his size very often.

R1 is way too risky for a project. R2 is a maybe. R3 is definitely worth the gamble.

PRATT:
That makes a ton of sense. I’d be fine with any/all ILBs in R3.

teegre
04-20-2019, 09:33 PM
Butler catching passes from Ben might be a cheat code. I know he has inconsistent at best hands, but the physical size and ability to use that size to just go get the ball is going to translate well to the NFL.

Juju - 6'1" 215 lbs
Moncrief - 6'2" 221 bs
Washington - 5'11" 213 lbs
Butler - 6'5" 227 lbs

Now imagine that if those are your top 4 guys -- one of them will be coming at Mike Hilton sized DBs out of the slot. Would have to assume a slant is an autocompletion if they can just hang on to the ball...

And then later in the draft, I do this -- just to be funny: Jalen Hurd 6'4" 226 lbs.

Assuming all those guys could learn to run NFL routes and hang on to about 60% of their targets, there isn't an NFL secondary in the league right now that could find enough bodies to run with that top 5.

RE: Butler’s drop issues:
I read an eval that said that Butler got graded down for balls that he touched (and dropped)... and that due to his wingspan, 99% of receivers wouldn’t have even gotten a finger on some of those “drops”. Ergo, for other receivers, those “drops” would have been logged as “overthrows”.

Also, I’m reeeeeally liking AJ Brown. Imagine drafting Hines Ward to play across from JuJu.

Jalen Hurd... David Sills... Gary Jennings... Miles Boykin... I’m absolutely in favor of the double dip at WR.

teegre
04-20-2019, 09:49 PM
In my (drive? eagerness? hunger?) QUEST to find an ILB in this draft class I guess I have lowered my standards on what I would accept at 20 at that position. Mack Wilson is most likely a round 3 talent that will be selected in round 2 and well before pick 52. I think Blake Cashman fits into that exact same box. Probably Germaine Pratt as well. My concern I guess is that when the run on safeties happens(Rd2 I think) it will also spur a run on 2nd tier ILBs/middle field defenders. I also see Tre Lamar as a poor man's Timmons, great size and speed, may go earlier than projected. I'm very ok with and actually hoping for these guys to be there in the 3rd round. That would be a very good thing. I am ok with, this draft only because need is so huge, reaching for the ILB position. It's not something I want or on my wishlist, I could understand if the Steelers did reach this year. AND if one of these guys is the answer at ILB, was it really a reach in the long run?

Mack Wilson was a five-star recruit. If he ever “puts it together”, he’ll be a monster. That said, it’s been three years... and it hasn’t come together yet.

IMO, we don’t need to replace Shazier; no one in this draft is that good. We simply need to replace Bostic. And, since we have holes/needs elsewhere, I’d rather go BPA at a number of positions (in R1 & R2) and then replace Bostic with Pratt or Long or Wilson (R3).

Mojouw
04-20-2019, 10:05 PM
RE: Butler’s drop issues:
I read an eval that said that Butler got graded down for balls that he touched (and dropped)... and that due to his wingspan, 99% of receivers wouldn’t have even gotten a finger on some of those “drops”. Ergo, for other receivers, those “drops” would have been logged as “overthrows”.

Also, I’m reeeeeally liking AJ Brown. Imagine drafting Hines Ward to play across from JuJu.

Jalen Hurd... David Sills... Gary Jennings... Miles Boykin... I’m absolutely in favor of the double dip at WR.

I like it. Another name that I could see them looking at late is Morgan. Many argue the best route runner in the draft. If they don’t go for a dominate physical trait in a WR, they usually like route skills.

Also, I’ve heard that about Butler too. Kinda like Polamalu and missing tackles it was totally unbelievable he was in a position to miss.

teegre
04-21-2019, 01:43 PM
I like it. Another name that I could see them looking at late is Morgan. Many argue the best route runner in the draft. If they don’t go for a dominate physical trait in a WR, they usually like route skills.

Also, I’ve heard that about Butler too. Kinda like Polamalu and missing tackles it was totally unbelievable he was in a position to miss.

Some interesting stats:

HAKEEM BUTLER:
-55% of his receptions gained 20+ yards (the highest rate in this draft class)
-leads draft class in YPR
-5th in draft class for yards gained per route run
-98% percentile (all time)for the 40 (weight, height adjusted)

AJ BROWN:
-17 broken tackles
-34 "explosive" plays
-only 5 drops in 90 touches

Three other names (with whom the Steelers met) for the middle rounds:

ANDY ISABELLA:
-1696 receiving yards
-PFF ( :jerkit:) highest-rated receiver in the country

DEEBO SAMUEL:
-broke 21 tackles
-outstanding Senior Bowl

MILEs BOYKIN:
-best hands in this draft
-open a LOT
-limited by his QB

Mojouw
04-21-2019, 03:27 PM
Some interesting stats:

HAKEEM BUTLER:
-55% of his receptions gained 20+ yards (the highest rate in this draft class)
-leads draft class in YPR
-5th in draft class for yards gained per route run
-98% percentile (all time)for the 40 (weight, height adjusted)

AJ BROWN:
-17 broken tackles
-34 "explosive" plays
-only 5 drops in 90 touches

Three other names (with whom the Steelers met) for the middle rounds:

ANDY ISABELLA:
-1696 receiving yards
-PFF ( :jerkit:) highest-rated receiver in the country

DEEBO SAMUEL:
-broke 21 tackles
-outstanding Senior Bowl

MILEs BOYKIN:
-best hands in this draft
-open a LOT
-limited by his QB

All look like good options. Some of those guys are pretty polarizing. But I think all can have NFL success.

The other name I think might fit is Emmanuel Hall. Just straight lightening in a bottle. We’ve seen them do that several times before.

teegre
04-21-2019, 04:38 PM
The other name I think might fit is Emmanuel Hall. Just straight lightening in a bottle. We’ve seen them do that several times before.

Noted. They do like those “one-trick ponies”. :lol: That said, I believe JuJu was a surprise, but besides him, they’ve generally stuck to their meeting list.

At The Combine, they met with a bevy of WRs:
-DK Metcalf
-AJ Brown
-Hollywood Brown
-Riley Ridley
-Deebo Samuel
-N’Keal Harry

Three WRs have visited since:
-Andy Isabella
-Miles Boykin
-Dillon Mitchell

And, Tomlin spent a long time talking to David Sills at WVU’s pro day.

(Technically, they also met with a KR/WR.)

SUMMATION:
My money would be on AJ Brown early, and then one of the others later on.

hawaiiansteeler
04-21-2019, 06:26 PM
Noted. They do like those “one-trick ponies”. :lol: That said, I believe JuJu was a surprise, but besides him, they’ve generally stuck to their meeting list.

-DK Metcalf
-AJ Brown
-Hollywood Brown
-Riley Ridley
-Deebo Samuel
-N’Keal Harry

-Andy Isabella
-Miles Boykin
-Dillon Mitchell

SUMMATION:

they also had a private workout with Gary Jennings:

Report: Steelers worked out WVU WR Gary Jennings

By BRYAN DEARDO
Apr 11

Gary Jennings has worked out for the Pittsburgh Steelers in preparation for the 2019 NFL Draft, Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle has reported. Pittsburgh is planning to draft at least one wideout in this year's draft to help replace Antonio Brown, who was traded to the Oakland Raiders earlier this offseason in exchange for third and fifth round picks.

The 6'2, 215-pound Jennings enjoyed a prolific career at West Virginia, catching 151 passes for 2,013 yards and 14 touchdowns during his final two seasons with the Mountaineers. In 2018, Jennings, who caught 97 passes for 1,096 yards and one touchdown in 2017, caught 54 passes for 917 yards and a whopping 13 touchdowns while averaging 17.0 yards per catch.

Jennings is currently projected to be a fourth or fifth round pick in this year's draft. Pittsburgh, based on their in-town pre draft interviews, are expected to draft a receiver somewhere between the third and fifth round.

"Jennings has filled a variety of roles for the Mountaineers across his four seasons, but his most effective usage came in 2018 where he worked from the slot and served as a deep threat," The Draft Network.com's Joe Marino recently wrote of Jennings.

to read rest of article:

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/Report-Steelers-worked-out-WVU-WR-Gary-Jennings-131115986/

Born2Steel
04-22-2019, 09:32 AM

-DK Metcalf
-AJ Brown
-Hollywood Brown
-Riley Ridley
-Deebo Samuel
-N’Keal Harry

-Andy Isabella
-Miles Boykin
-Dillon Mitchell

SUMMATION:

If the Steelers do in fact double dip at WR this draft who keeps their job, Eli or Switzer? If only counting latest 53 roster guys we have JuJu, Wash, Moncreif, Switzer, and Eli. PS has Tevin Jones and Griffey. I love competition so bring in as many as you want. Just asking if, who stays and who goes. (Banking on keeping 6WRs on final 53)

Mojouw
04-22-2019, 10:29 AM
If the Steelers do in fact double dip at WR this draft who keeps their job, Eli or Switzer? If only counting latest 53 roster guys we have JuJu, Wash, Moncreif, Switzer, and Eli. PS has Tevin Jones and Griffey. I love competition so bring in as many as you want. Just asking if, who stays and who goes. (Banking on keeping 6WRs on final 53)

Eli. I like Switzer and the way he plays. But I couldn't help but notice how once Eli Rogers returned, the offense had a bit more "snap" than it did before. Rogers just seems to bring a more dynamic element to table. Now, maybe with another year in the system, Switzer can as well. Then, I guess, it is just a straight competition?

Born2Steel
04-22-2019, 11:50 AM
Eli. I like Switzer and the way he plays. But I couldn't help but notice how once Eli Rogers returned, the offense had a bit more "snap" than it did before. Rogers just seems to bring a more dynamic element to table. Now, maybe with another year in the system, Switzer can as well. Then, I guess, it is just a straight competition?

I agree. I don’t think they bring Eli back unless they see something they really like with him. They could keep both and still double dip at WR if they aren’t taking a TE or RB, or with 10 picks have an insanely competitive preseason. This is one of those years where this could go in many directions.

teegre
04-22-2019, 12:13 PM
they also had a private workout with Gary Jennings:

Sweeet!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I read somewhere about how Switzer was in the top ten of all of the “secondary” stats for receivers... such as: drop rate, receptions per target, et cetera. The article was saying how Switzer is (statistically) the perfect second-tier receiver for a team.

st33lersguy
04-22-2019, 04:34 PM
Steelers place a lot of value on the WR position and it would really surprise me if they didn't take one in at least the first 2 rounds

hawaiiansteeler
04-22-2019, 04:59 PM
Steelers place a lot of value on the WR position and it would really surprise me if they didn't take one in at least the first 2 rounds

I would be surprised if it wasn't the first three rounds.

Steeldude
04-23-2019, 06:40 AM

Too slow. He would have to play slot.

I wouldn't use the first pick on him. If that is the best they think there is at 20 then they need to trade down.

It's a bad draft for CBs.

Dwinsgames
04-23-2019, 07:45 AM
Too slow. He would have to play slot.

I wouldn't use the first pick on him. If that is the best they think there is at 20 then they need to trade down.

It's a bad draft for CBs.

to slow ? BS ..... show me on tape in pads anyone beating him deep ... I will save you the effort the tape does not exist

he is to slow at 4.55 but Joe Haden was fast enough to be all pro at 4.57 ..... and still plays the outside after many injuries and age that has slowed him even more

I refuse to use a time in shorts to make a claim a guy isnt fast enough when on tape he is not getting beat , the game isnt played in shorts ...

~54.5 passer rating against
~ impressive change-of-direction
~ shows good anticipation on route progressions
~ impressive mirroring techniques
~can play man or zone effectively
~ballhawk ability 7 picks -20 pass break ups in just 87 targets
~very athletic despite the timed speed of 4.55
~plays bigger than the measured size of 5-11-4 ( woah .6 of an inch from 6 foot )
~N'keal Harry 4 catches - 20 yards vs Murphy

a little FYI
Joe Haden 5'11"
Steven Nelson 5"11"
Cam Sutton listed at 5'11" ( seems he was 5'10 at combine could be wrong )
Mike Hilton 5'9"

check the article below

Washington football’s Byron Murphy (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/byron-murphy-1.html?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-) has been outstanding in his first full season with the Husky defense. With four interceptions and 13 passes defensed this season, quarterbacks had a hard time throwing at Murphy, who has more than lived up to the high expectations he had around him coming out of high school.
After sitting for a year behind Sidney Jones (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JoneSi00.htm?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-) and Kevin King (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KingKe01.htm?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-), Murphy shined in his first year as a Husky before breaking his foot before Pac-12 play began. He impressed during the final three games of the season, including making an incredible interception in the back of the end zone on Trace McSorley (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/trace-mcsorley-1.html?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-) during the Fiesta Bowl.
This season, we’ve seen Murphy perform at another level, allowing 25 receptions on a meager 48 targets. His 13 pass breakups are also good for fifth in the country this season, not bad for a guy who gets targeted on average under four times per game. Murphy also played a key role in slowing future first-round wide receiver N’Keal Harry (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/nkeal-harry-1.html?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-) to his worst game of the season, and second worst of his career, catching five passes for only 20 yards. He also the highest graded corner in all of college football by Pro Football Focus.

( link to full write up so we are not infringing on anyone ) https://thehuskyhaul.com/2018/12/17/washington-football-top-10/

Six Rings
04-25-2019, 08:47 PM
NFL free agency is a little over a week away so it is time once again to rank the positional needs from most pressing to least pressing. Usually there are 3 pressing needs on the team, this year I thought up 4.

1. Cornerback: The position conists of Joe Haden who is hitting 30 and has missed some time, Mike Hilton who is a solid slot corner but too small to be a boundary corner, and players ranging from backups at best (and that may be generous) to guys who shouldn't be on active rosters. The need remains after the Artie Burns experiment crashed and burned (get it?)

2. Inside Linebacker: This was a pressing need last year, but all they did was sign backup journeyman Jon Bostic and sign athletic Matthew Thomas as an UDFA before letting him go to the Ratbirds late in the year. Predictably the defense suffered from it. Bostic is a back-up level player who can't player, Vince Williams is solid against the run but not against the pass and he should not be your team's best ILB. The loss of Shazier was devastating and he will likely not be replaced fully but they at least need to upgrade to at least solid

3. Outside Linebacker: This was another need from last year that wasn't sufficiently addressed. TJ Watt had a nice year overall and made a splash in some games but outside of him there isn't a starting caliber OLB on the roster. Contrary to what the FO and some fans will try and argue Bud Dupree is a mediocre at best player who only occasionally does something and he has woefully underperformed his first round billing, and the depth is non-existent. At the very least they need another starting caliber edge rusher and some backups to effectively spell the starters and keep them fresh

4. Wide Receiver: AB, or Mr. Big Mouth, or wannabe Hulk Hogan or whatever he wants to call himself now is gone. If they don't trade him, all indication is he will pull a Carson Palmer and sit out until he is traded. Without Mr. Big Ego they will need another starting WR behind Juju as the rest of the WRs did not step up much last year

5. Safety: There are definitely bodies on the roster but question marks remain. Morgan Burnett (supposedly the top free agent safety last year) was utterly useless and now wants to be released for being utterly useless. Sean Davis is athlete who hasn't panned out as an NFL draft pick. The most promising at this point is Terrell Edmunds who looks like he could develop into a solid player if the Steelers ever decide to get solid defensive coaching but talent is scarce here.

6. Tight end: There could be depth issues with Jesse James presumably wanting to leave the Pittsburgh circus and Vance McDonald remains an injury concern, however I don't think they are as bad a shape here as they are in the places above

7. Offensive Line: Depth is an issue, Ramon Foster is likely gone, and now this unit looks like it will regress after Munchak decided the shitshow in Denver was more palatable than staying in Pittsburgh. The bright side is annual pro bowlers DeCastro and Pouncey

8. Running back: I don't think RB is much of an issue though they may regress if the O-line regresses. I think the biggest issue is getting someone better than Ridley as the no. 3 back. Connor proved how expendable Bell was and was dynamite when Fichtner actually ran the ball. Even Jaylen Samuel as a 6th round rookie had a 100 yard game in relief of Connor. I don't think this is worth spending significant resources on

9. Quarterback: Ben is still here and they have drafted a couple young guys to serve as backup/understudy. They drafted Rudolph who appears to have the right attitude, just needs better coaching

10. Defensive Line: The strongest position right now. Cam, Tuitt, Hargrave when he plays, Alualu as a nice back-up. Biggest issue is finding someone better than McCullers which doesn't make much if anything

Mostly agree though I would make WR#3, Safety #4 ,and OLB#5.

Juding by last season kicker is a need and so is punter. I'd place them #8 and #9