PDA

View Full Version : Steelers met With Chase Winovich

Shoes
03-05-2019, 01:17 PM
Kid looks pretty good and has some fire in his A$$. Has a good Pittsburgh name also. :chuckle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUNqi9JCV0c

Edman
03-05-2019, 01:20 PM
Can he play football or is he just another athlete?

Shoes
03-05-2019, 01:22 PM

Well he's not coined an "athletic freak" so chances are he's a good football player

FrancoLambert
03-05-2019, 01:40 PM
Just don’t tell me he models his game after Bud. :nono:

tube517
03-05-2019, 01:41 PM
Wait, he's not a TE?

:chuckle:

Shoes
03-05-2019, 02:04 PM
Wait, he's not a TE?

:chuckle:.

I still have hope but I can see NE Bill having a field day on them

Dwinsgames
03-05-2019, 02:26 PM

he's a football player ....

hawaiiansteeler
03-05-2019, 02:36 PM
he's a football player ....

and a damn good one, I would love to see the Steelers draft him.

teegre
03-06-2019, 06:54 AM
He’s a very good player who also had a very good Combine... which, IMO, is the perfect mix.

Not that he’s anywhere near as good as TJ Watt, but that “mixture” (of play & Combine performance) is a lot like TJ Watt.

Lastly, I’m more of a fan of game tape. But, The Combine is not a worthless endeavor. For example, Jarvis Jones has a horrible Combine. His game tape showed that his sacks were a product of hustle (not technique), and his Combine performance should have been the final veto.

86WARD
03-06-2019, 07:29 AM
He’s a very good player who also had a very good Combine... which, IMO, is the perfect mix.

Not that he’s anywhere near as good as TJ Watt, but that “mixture” (of play & Combine performance) is a lot like TJ Watt.

Lastly, I’m more of a fan of game tape. But, The Combine is not a worthless endeavor. For example, Jarvis Jones has a horrible Combine. His game tape showed that his sacks were a product of hustle (not technique), and his Combine performance should have been the final veto.

I hate the combine. Everything scouts and GMs need is on game tape. Wonder how many drafts have been ruined because people changed minds or made decisions with the combine performance making the final decision. We would never know but it would be a fun fact.

Michael
03-06-2019, 08:40 AM

Tegree you are so right re J J. His combine was so weak. That decision still haunts me today as I question the intelligence of responsible personnel. Arty Burns looks like a another bad choice. Track man but no football instincts and experience at the U. I hope they spend their money & energy on proven free agents.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-06-2019, 07:11 PM
Winovich is a good football player and his pre combine athletic ability was questioned by scouts, but he had a good combine with 4.6 speed, that showed he is an even better athlete than thought.

Also, while other teammates like Rashaun Gary and Karon Higdon passed on their bowl game to prep for the draft. Winovich actually had an injury that he played thru at the Peach Bowl and delayed surgery. The kid is all hustle, heart and motor, but needs better technique. I think he could be a 3rd round prospect or possibly 4th.

Mojouw
03-06-2019, 07:47 PM
I mean I guess someone has to be the new Anthony Chickillo.

Shoes
03-06-2019, 09:12 PM
Winovich is a good football player and his pre combine athletic ability was questioned by scouts, but he had a good combine with 4.6 speed, that showed he is an even better athlete than thought.

Also, while other teammates like Rashaun Gary and Karon Higdon passed on their bowl game to prep for the draft. Winovich actually had an injury that he played thru at the Peach Bowl and delayed surgery. The kid is all hustle, heart and motor, but needs better technique. I think he could be a 3rd round prospect or possibly 4th.

I'd be happy with that.

hawaiiansteeler
03-06-2019, 09:15 PM
I think he could be a 3rd round prospect or possibly 4th.

I've seen him in either the 2nd or 3rd round of all post-combine mock drafts.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-07-2019, 12:36 AM
I've seen him in either the 2nd or 3rd round of all post-combine mock drafts.

Yeah, I think the combine hype is pushing him up to that range. But I think when the draft rolls around, teams will look at him and still evaluate his tape as a guy that is relentless effort, but still not an elite athlete with great technique or strength.

Maybe somebody falls in love with him and grabs him in the 2nd, but I just don't see him as that grade of a player.....just because he ran a 4.6. I catch 4-6 Michigan games on TV a year and see him as a guy that can be a Clark Haggans type of OLB.

teegre
03-07-2019, 06:33 AM
Acquiring Clark Haggans in R4 wouldn’t be bad.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-08-2019, 12:08 PM
Acquiring Clark Haggans in R4 wouldn’t be bad.

Yeah, but with the new combine numbers that Winovich put up. 4.6 in 40, 30.5 vertical, 18 bench reps, 6.94 3cone, 116 broad jump....he is likely to move up from late 4th where the Steelers would be picking.

Clark Haggans was out of national TV spotlight at Co St and he ran a 5.01, 31.5 vertical, 20 bench reps, 7.12 3-cone, 109 broad jump. Winovich shows better get off and long speed and his field drills looked like he is adept at dropping in coverage. I think the Steelers can still find better players in the 2nd round, but really like Winovich and hope he somehow lasts to the 3rd when the Steelers pick.

Rd1 Devin Bush
Rd2 Trayvon Mullen
Rd3 Chase Winovich

hawaiiansteeler
03-08-2019, 12:13 PM
Rd1 Devin Bush
Rd2 Trayvon Mullen
Rd3 Chase Winovich

I would be good with that, maybe also draft a WR with the pick we get for AB.

teegre
03-08-2019, 07:55 PM
Yeah, but with the new combine numbers that Winovich put up. 4.6 in 40, 30.5 vertical, 18 bench reps, 6.94 3cone, 116 broad jump....he is likely to move up from late 4th where the Steelers would be picking.

Clark Haggans was out of national TV spotlight at Co St and he ran a 5.01, 31.5 vertical, 20 bench reps, 7.12 3-cone, 109 broad jump. Winovich shows better get off and long speed and his field drills looked like he is adept at dropping in coverage. I think the Steelers can still find better players in the 2nd round, but really like Winovich and hope he somehow lasts to the 3rd when the Steelers pick.

Rd1 Devin Bush
Rd2 Trayvon Mullen
Rd3 Chase Winovich

I’d take that draft.