PDA

View Full Version : Cap Space and Not Cap Space

Mojouw
03-02-2019, 11:15 AM
I am not enough of an expert to know if this is totally correct, but it sure looks legit to me.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/3/1/18236575/updating-the-steelers-2019-salary-cap-position-heading-into-free-agency-antonio-brown-dead-money-nfl

And that means despite the #'s - this is the effective cap space the 2019 Pittsburgh Steelers have:
Total: $9,628,133I would argue that it is less than that even as they typically like about $3 million of in-season moves. So that means you have about $6 million dollars to play with.

So, yeah. No one important will be coming here. Now in 2020....

steelreserve
03-02-2019, 11:39 AM
But we get Bud Dupree! That's like gaining three All-Pros without even doing anything!

And surely you don't need me to explain the benefits of spending $20 million to give ourselves a big donut hole at the #1 WR position.

Maybe we'll go into 2020 as one of those teams with $60 million in cap space to spend. Problem is, most teams with $60 million in cap space tend to have $60 million because they are the Jaguars or the Browns.

As I have said before, though, our cap space always has a way of disappearing before the start of free agency anyway. $20 million means we're break-even. $9 million probably means we'll be restructuring Heyward's deal or something, and everybody goes "huh?" and then we get some explanation of why we were actually $6 million in the hole, because reasons.

AtlantaDan
03-02-2019, 12:54 PM
I am not enough of an expert to know if this is totally correct, but it sure looks legit to me.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/3/1/18236575/updating-the-steelers-2019-salary-cap-position-heading-into-free-agency-antonio-brown-dead-money-nfl

And that means despite the #'s - this is the effective cap space the 2019 Pittsburgh Steelers have:
Total: $9,628,133

I would argue that it is less than that even as they typically like about $3 million of in-season moves. So that means you have about $6 million dollars to play with.

So, yeah. No one important will be coming here. Now in 2020....

Appears they pick up around another $5.5 million by cutting Bostic and Burnett

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/pittsburgh-steelers/

Mojouw
03-02-2019, 01:28 PM
Appears they pick up around another $5.5 million by cutting Bostic and Burnett

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/pittsburgh-steelers/

Yeah. But I wonder if Colbert cuts them? I know they are not in the plans, but that opens up two big holes in the depth chart. Usually not his style to create holes before he fills them.

But I guess it could be sign guy A and then cut guy B.

Still they are looking at about $10 million MAX to spend in FA. Landon Collins ain't coming here.

steelreserve
03-02-2019, 01:36 PM
Yeah. But I wonder if Colbert cuts them? I know they are not in the plans, but that opens up two big holes in the depth chart. Usually not his style to create holes before he fills them.

But I guess it could be sign guy A and then cut guy B.

Still they are looking at about $10 million MAX to spend in FA. Landon Collins ain't coming here.

Burnett isn't really a "hole" since he was hot garbage last year and does not sound like he is in our plans, nor are the Steelers in his. The way we structured his contract made it almost guaranteed that he was going to be gone after 1 year, so my guess is we were planning on that, and then the younger guys to take over completely.

Really makes it clear what the "best" free agent deal abailable is: Antonio Brown for $0. Because other than that, we ain't getting shit.

AtlantaDan
03-02-2019, 01:39 PM

Burnett did not see the field for much of the season due to injury and when he did gave up the killer long completion on the last TD drive in the Oakland game. As for Bostic, teams figured out how to isolate him in pass coverage and Fort (who is not signed) was getting a lot of his minutes later in the season.

While someone needs to fill out the depth chart at rookie or vet minimum, given their performance I would be surprised if either is not cut

steelreserve
03-02-2019, 02:12 PM
Burnett did not see the field for much of the season due to injury and when he did gave up the killer long completion on the last TD drive in the Oakland game. As for Bostic, teams figured out how to isolate him in pass coverage and Fort (who is not signed) was getting a lot of his minutes later in the season.

While someone needs to fill out the depth chart at rookie or vet minimum, given their performance I would be surprised if either is not cut

Bostic at least is cheap and can fill the V. Williams role if needed, or rotate in. He is miserable trying to play Shazier's role.

Burnett is much more likely to be cut because his salary gets a huge increase. I hate the way that deal was structured; it basically forces him to be cut after a year unless he either played incredibly, or we had no other options but to overpay. And of course it was structured so we get to say hello to more dead money if we cut him, a non-trivial amount if I am not mistaken.

Craic
03-02-2019, 02:19 PM
Bostic at least is cheap and can fill the V. Williams role if needed, or rotate in. He is miserable trying to play Shazier's role.

Burnett is much more likely to be cut because his salary gets a huge increase. I hate the way that deal was structured; it basically forces him to be cut after a year unless he either played incredibly, or we had no other options but to overpay. And of course it was structured so we get to say hello to more dead money if we cut him, a non-trivial amount if I am not mistaken.
This.
The Steelers usually do really well at bringing in role players, and Bostic is no exception. I'd love to see him back as a role player to fill in for Williams.

Born2Steel
03-02-2019, 07:20 PM

I think Bostic replaced Matakevich in that very role last year. I hope to see him back also.

NCSteeler
03-03-2019, 08:42 AM

Burnett is much more likely to be cut because his salary gets a huge increase. I hate the way that deal was structured; it basically forces him to be cut after a year unless he either played incredibly, or we had no other options but to overpay. And of course it was structured so we get to say hello to more dead money if we cut him, a non-trivial amount if I am not mistaken.No I love that deal. That is the kind of deals they should sign. Play awesome and get a raise play like crap and bye bye

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

steelreserve
03-03-2019, 10:15 AM
No I love that deal. That is the kind of deals they should sign. Play awesome and get a raise play like crap and bye bye

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Essentially what the deal was, was a one-year, $5 million contract with $3 million out of that moved forward as dead money.

Then if we really really really want to keep him, he gets no raise but we take a huge cap hit because we're now paying that $5M as base salary on top of the dead money.

And in order to even get to that point where he's worth keeping, he has to provide $7M or $8M in value, and then he's bitching about being underpaid.

Basically, the whole thing was set up for failure, and just makes us eat more dead money through irresponsible credit-card spending. Stop it. Time to be done with that nonsense, it quit working a long time ago.

Mojouw
03-03-2019, 10:57 AM
Point is that there is not a great deal of money. There might not be anything more than Bostic style reinforcements coming via FA. I just read somewhere that Tyrell Williams (the big wideout from SD) is expected to see $10 million plus per year offers in free agency. Let that sink in for a moment. Some guy who ran #3 or #2 WR on a team typically desperate for someone to run opposite Keenan Allen, is going to be the highest paid WR on the market.

FA is a crack pipe dream. Between the lack of cap space compared to the rest of the league and the lack of impact players on the market, it doesn’t do much. Last offseason the team signed the universally regarded top safety and about the 3rd or 4th rated linebacker. Basically did nothing to improve the defense.

Hound
03-03-2019, 11:56 AM
I see the Steelers going hard in FA if there is someone they want. Let’s not forget how hard they went after Donte Hightower,(signed for less with the patriots) and had less cap space then they currently do. Cap space can always be created, if needed. Curious to see what the space will be after the Ben extension. Curious to see who is released and who is not resigned. Cap space isn’t currently set.

steelreserve
03-03-2019, 01:14 PM
Point is that there is not a great deal of money. There might not be anything more than Bostic style reinforcements coming via FA. I just read somewhere that Tyrell Williams (the big wideout from SD) is expected to see $10 million plus per year offers in free agency. Let that sink in for a moment. Some guy who ran #3 or #2 WR on a team typically desperate for someone to run opposite Keenan Allen, is going to be the highest paid WR on the market.

FA is a crack pipe dream. Between the lack of cap space compared to the rest of the league and the lack of impact players on the market, it doesn’t do much. Last offseason the team signed the universally regarded top safety and about the 3rd or 4th rated linebacker. Basically did nothing to improve the defense.

Can't argue with any of that.

Basically, it is a long way of saying one part of: "I don't expect this team to be very good next season."

Mojouw
03-03-2019, 01:19 PM
Can't argue with any of that.

Basically, it is a long way of saying one part of: "I don't expect this team to be very good next season."

Too early to tell on how good or not good the team will be in 2019. What I think we can project is that if the 2019 Pittsburgh Steelers are going to be substantially better at one of the 22 starting positions, it will be from the development of players on the roster and the draft. This off-season there is the added wild-card of the trade market.

But there is no announcement coming in the next 3 weeks about the signing of so and so that makes a lick of difference.

Hound
03-03-2019, 01:48 PM
I don’t have the privilege of being in the board room or combine with Mr Colbert, but I believe they are going to be players in FA. The belief is that the Steelers won’t receive a 3rd comp pick for Bell, do to them being players in free agency. The fact that they looked hard at the transition tag to eventually try a trade of Bell. Seems like they know they are going to be players

Mojouw
03-03-2019, 02:06 PM
I don’t have the privilege of being in the board room or combine with Mr Colbert, but I believe they are going to be players in FA. The belief is that the Steelers won’t receive a 3rd comp pick for Bell, do to them being players in free agency. The fact that they looked hard at the transition tag to eventually try a trade of Bell. Seems like they know they are going to be players
They very well may be. But they won't be signing a big-time impact guy. I know you like Jordan Hicks, and I do too. But while his contract will expire, I suspect he never even takes a meeting outside of Philly. Same with Clowney and the other "name" edge rushers.

So then you get to compete to slightly to greatly over-pay guys like Bostic and Burnett.

If I was Colbert, I would be all the way out -- unless a situation like with Haden and Hightower randomly shows up.

The one guy I would be willing to overpay for for like another 2 seasons is Suggs. I think he has enough juice left to come in and be an excellent rotational pass rusher. He is not the unholy terror that he once was, but he would add experience and depth at a position that is essentially a bunch of kids.

Hound
03-03-2019, 02:17 PM
Philly is in there own cap hell and just paid Graham a shit ton of money. Philly has numerous internal FA to look at. Point being is if the Steelers want a player they are capable of making it happen. Their current actions with Bell suggests that they will be players. As for Suggs, no thanks. He is on the wrong side of thirty, actually he is closer to forty than thirty.

steelreserve
03-04-2019, 02:49 PM
Too early to tell on how good or not good the team will be in 2019. What I think we can project is that if the 2019 Pittsburgh Steelers are going to be substantially better at one of the 22 starting positions, it will be from the development of players on the roster and the draft. This off-season there is the added wild-card of the trade market.

But there is no announcement coming in the next 3 weeks about the signing of so and so that makes a lick of difference.

Well, maybe. As you correctly point out, there is no way we are signing one of the "splash" free agents at $10 million plus. Not that we've ever done that.

At best we bring in a couple of mid-level reinforcements that are not that exciting. But those players can make a difference if you guess right - sometimes those kinds of signings can be James Farrior and Ryan Clark, instead of Burnett and Mike Mitchell. (I still think Bostic has the potential to be a good pickup, if we just stop forcing him into a role that is clearly not his strong suit.)

If anyone has the potential to fit that mold this year, I'd keep my eye on Deonne Buchanon, also from the Cardinals. He seemed to fill the profile of the "athletic" ILB that would complement the "heavy" ILB which we already have two of, but just had no place to go in their new defense. Probably not Shazier-level good, but could restore some competence in that role for a reasonable price. He is not particularly sought-after, if I am not mistaken, but I don't think there's anything wrong with him.

hawaiiansteeler
03-04-2019, 02:54 PM
(I still think Bostic has the potential to be a good pickup, if we just stop forcing him into a role that is clearly not his strong suit.)

you mean we shouldn't ask Bostic to cover the other team's #1 WR? :noidea:

Fire Goodell
03-04-2019, 04:07 PM
you mean we shouldn't ask Bostic to cover the other team's #1 WR? :noidea:

No that's Vince's job, we're lost without him

Dwinsgames
03-04-2019, 04:46 PM
don't forget to add in the Lev Bell refund money from 2018 .... that carry over is what makes it possible to sign a good player and then a likely ext for Ben which almost always saves money in year 1

Hound
03-04-2019, 05:11 PM
Morgan Burnett is going to get released. Gilbert possibly will also get released. If both of those happen your looking at roughly another 7 to 8 million.