PDA

View Full Version : The BTSC 2019 Steelers Big Board - By Ranking (Pre-Combine)

Shoes
02-27-2019, 08:19 PM
So, what has changed in the past two weeks? I've tried to reflect the idea that Antonio Brown will be off the team in 2019 without overreacting, and leaving room for inevitable movement as a result of the Combine. For example, while I personally have no doubt that D.K. Metcalf will post extraordinary numbers and do some climbing, I have not changed his ranking on my own authority. We might as well wait and see.
I will try to include a list in the comments, but here are the totals: 62 entries were added or significantly changed. WR's, CB's, Safeties and ILB's got the most attention. Here is a link to the February 13 By-Position Board (https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/2/13/18223231/the-2019-btsc-big-board-by-position-feb-13?_ga=2.220945563.2033496550.1551028269-399487990.1522081834) if you want to compare.
And now without further ado:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/2/24/18238568/the-btsc-2019-steelers-big-board-by-ranking-pre-combine

Dwinsgames
03-02-2019, 09:21 AM
pre combine / post combine ... to me shouldnt matter ...

no football games are played at or after the combine ...

if what you see at the combine did not show up on tape then it should not be part of your evaluations ...

what is left ohhh the important part of the combine 1) Medicals and 2) interviews and we as fans will not be privy to either of them ...

so why does the combine weigh so heavily in so many peoples evals ...

this is why we see so many busts , taking non football information and trying to apply it to football .. what this kid does in shorts ( oh damn hope AB did not see me calling these prospects kids ) has zero to do with what he does in pads and if it did you would already have your answers from watching his tape ...

prime example of what I am saying is this ... Holyfield’s times were 4.79 seconds and 4.81 seconds now many are saying he could go undrafted for running poor/slow 40 yard dash ...

I have said for years people run different in shorts than in pads , some carry the weight well others do not ... the pads are often the great equalizer ...

watch this and tell me if Holyfield looks like a 4.8-40 guy in pads ( if he does then what does it say for everyone else on the football field )

combine results should be taken with a grain of salt , teams are not all looking for good football players they are trying to reinvent the wheel in terms of how to find them and looking at " projection" instead of sure thing ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=212&v=Q9jawttfY-4

Born2Steel
03-02-2019, 02:01 PM
Depending on the position some combine numbers mean more than others. The numbers the public sees is usually only a measure of athleticism, not meant to translate to on the field evaluation. Bench press numbers show more a prospects commitment to the weight room over his college career than his ability to play his position, for example. High jump and broad jump numbers can evaluate potential ability to 'explode' off the line at the snap but again this can be better measured by the tape. No team uses the combine as the end all of evaluation, but understanding a prospects physical limits vs where they excel or fall short on tape is an invaluable tool.

According to this board, Baker, Murphy, and Williams are the only 3 CBs for 1st 20 selections that are not a 'reach'. 8 players that are LBs(OLB or ILB), 2DL in Ed Oliver and Quinnen Williams(Bosa would play OLB in the Steelers defense, IMO), and then 3WRS and a TE. That is only 17 players that the Steelers rate not a reach at pick 20. The more I read this article the more I feel that Hockenson(TE) or Harmon(WR) could be the pick at 20.

Dwinsgames
03-02-2019, 04:26 PM
Depending on the position some combine numbers mean more than others. The numbers the public sees is usually only a measure of athleticism, not meant to translate to on the field evaluation. Bench press numbers show more a prospects commitment to the weight room over his college career than his ability to play his position, for example. High jump and broad jump numbers can evaluate potential ability to 'explode' off the line at the snap but again this can be better measured by the tape. No team uses the combine as the end all of evaluation, but understanding a prospects physical limits vs where they excel or fall short on tape is an invaluable tool.

According to this board, Baker, Murphy, and Williams are the only 3 CBs for 1st 20 selections that are not a 'reach'. 8 players that are LBs(OLB or ILB), 2DL in Ed Oliver and Quinnen Williams(Bosa would play OLB in the Steelers defense, IMO), and then 3WRS and a TE. That is only 17 players that the Steelers rate not a reach at pick 20. The more I read this article the more I feel that Hockenson(TE) or Harmon(WR) could be the pick at 20.

again ( maybe its just me ) but from my perspective

if a guy is powerful it will show up on tape ...
if a guy is explosive , it will show up on tape ...
if a guy is fast ( or slow ) it will show up on tape ....

my biggest bitch is guys change their evals based on combine numbers .... ( thats wrong and flawed IMO )

if what you learned at the combine was not already known based on the tape the player is not translating his athletic ability to the field of play and that is as big an issue than not having the ability at all ...

we just watched a workout warrior leave our practice squad for the Ravens and Jerry Rice ran a 4.71 if that puts it into perspective a little better

Born2Steel
03-02-2019, 07:15 PM
again ( maybe its just me ) but from my perspective

if a guy is powerful it will show up on tape ...
if a guy is explosive , it will show up on tape ...
if a guy is fast ( or slow ) it will show up on tape ....

my biggest bitch is guys change their evals based on combine numbers .... ( thats wrong and flawed IMO )

if what you learned at the combine was not already known based on the tape the player is not translating his athletic ability to the field of play and that is as big an issue than not having the ability at all ...

we just watched a workout warrior leave our practice squad for the Ravens and Jerry Rice ran a 4.71 if that puts it into perspective a little better

I'm pretty sure I was agreeing with you. Players practice the combine events all year so to look better performing those 'tests'. The combine in no way tells us anything new about how a guy plays football. It can give you an eval on the athletic differences between several similar players or whether a player has potential to improve as a football player based on athletic scores. But you are correct it falls short of being any sort of predictor of success. However it can help weed out failures in advance of the draft.