PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Colbert: ‘We Didn’t Do Enough’ To Replace Ryan Shazier Last Year

hawaiiansteeler
02-25-2019, 05:25 PM
Kevin Colbert: ‘We Didn’t Do Enough’ To Replace Ryan Shazier Last Year

By Matthew Marczi
Posted on February 25, 2019

With the 2019 installment of the NFL Scouting Combine on our doorstep, I thought it would be fitting to revisit the remarks that Pittsburgh Steelers General Manager Kevin Colbert made on Wednesday in front of a group of local reporters regarding the current state of the inside linebacker position, which may be the team’s biggest need at the moment.

It wasn’t that way in the very recent future. At least as the 2016 season, the Steelers boasted two starters at the position who had been named to the Pro Bowl, with Lawrence Timmons toward the end of his career at that point, admittedly, and Ryan Shazier just emerging at that time as a breakout performer.

Of course, Timmons would sign with the Miami Dolphins the following season before quickly regretting it, and we know that Shazier’s playing future very much remains in jeopardy after he suffered a severe spinal injury. He remains with the team and is determined to resume his career, but that can’t be counted upon.

Vince Williams replaced Timmons in 2017, and the team signed Jon Bostic last year to make up the starting duo, but while Williams is under a long-term contract, both spots could be up for debate and possible change, in theory.

Asked if it was still a priority to adequately replace Shazier in 2019, Colbert said, “it’s part of it. Ryan Shazier was a significant football player, not only from a physical standpoint, but from a mental standpoint”, courtesy of the transcript provided by Will Graves of the Associated Press.

to read rest of article:

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/02/kevin-colbert-we-didnt-do-enough-to-replace-ryan-shazier-last-year/

NCSteeler
02-25-2019, 05:33 PM
Holy captain obvious !

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

steelreserve
02-25-2019, 06:13 PM
Realizing just now what everybody saw a year ago. Outstanding job on that one.

CHAMPIONSHIP!

GoSlash27
02-25-2019, 06:15 PM
Replace him with... who? Last I checked, there's not another Ryan Shazier out there.

st33lersguy
02-25-2019, 07:53 PM
Replace him with... who? Last I checked, there's not another Ryan Shazier out there.

No one is saying it is easy to replace shazier but they could have at least tried harder than signing a backup journeyman

Shoes
02-25-2019, 07:56 PM
It's February, Punxsutawney Kevin just saw his shadow.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-26-2019, 01:05 AM
Holy captain obvious !

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

What is next? Keith Butler going to say that using an ILB to cover the other teams best WR wasn't a good idea?

Dwinsgames
02-26-2019, 10:01 AM
just can't make this shit up .....

munchy
02-26-2019, 12:34 PM
Realizing just now what everybody saw a year ago. Outstanding job on that one.

CHAMPIONSHIP!

how many more years until they realize danny smith sucks?

Born2Steel
02-26-2019, 12:48 PM
Still hasn’t replaced TP43 either. Even if Shazier comes back and plays again, HE’s not going to replace the Ryan Shazier that he was before. I would be perfectly content with the next Timmons. VW and Bostic was an upgrade over VW and Spence, Matakevich, or Fort. Another step up that ladder this offseason could get us very close to good enough.

Mojouw
02-26-2019, 02:41 PM
Well considering that 4 (Edmunds, Burnett, Bostic, and Marcus Allen) players were obtained to replace 1 guy -- I get what Colbert is saying, but I'm not sure what else they could have done.

I do not know if trading multiple picks (2019 1st, 2020 1st, and something else) to move up high enough to ensure you got LVE or Evans would have been a great idea either.

In hindsight, I guess the best move would have been trading back in a way that allowed you to get Edmunds, Leonard, and Washington. But who knows if that would have been possible...

86WARD
02-27-2019, 06:48 AM
Well considering that 4 (Edmunds, Burnett, Bostic, and Marcus Allen) players were obtained to replace 1 guy -- I get what Colbert is saying, but I'm not sure what else they could have done.

I do not know if trading multiple picks (2019 1st, 2020 1st, and something else) to move up high enough to ensure you got LVE or Evans would have been a great idea either.

In hindsight, I guess the best move would have been trading back in a way that allowed you to get Edmunds, Leonard, and Washington. But who knows if that would have been possible...
One of the problems is, and has been for a few years now, is there is no quality depth at any position except maybe O-Line (I attribute that more tomcoaching than talent) and maybe RB and OLB. Otherwise, there’s major talent drop off at all positions. Usually you have one guy who can come in and pick up the slack somewhat. On this team, there’s nobody...and that’s where the problem starts IMO.

teegre
02-27-2019, 06:53 AM
Last year was the Draft to “replace” Shazier. Smith, Edmunds, LVE, & Leonard all four are studs. This upcoming Draft... we can certainly get an upgrade over Bostic, but I don’t see anyone being as good as those aforementioned players.

teegre
02-27-2019, 07:01 AM
R2 is the “sweet spot” for ILB in this draft.

Hound
02-27-2019, 07:12 AM
You are correct Mr Colbert, let’s correct the mistake. Jordan Hicks would be a nice start in replacing Shazier

DesertSteel
02-27-2019, 09:22 AM
What is next? Keith Butler going to say that using an ILB to cover the other teams best WR wasn't a good idea?
They're not ready to go that far!!

Born2Steel
02-27-2019, 09:35 AM

The absolute worst thing is that with our secondary last season ILB probably was the better choice.

Mojouw
02-27-2019, 10:12 AM
One of the problems is, and has been for a few years now, is there is no quality depth at any position except maybe O-Line (I attribute that more tomcoaching than talent) and maybe RB and OLB. Otherwise, there’s major talent drop off at all positions. Usually you have one guy who can come in and pick up the slack somewhat. On this team, there’s nobody...and that’s where the problem starts IMO.

I agree. There was supposed to be depth at DB, but then Burns, Sutton, and Allen all forgot how to play football. And Burnett's body continued to breakdown and scavenge itself for parts.

I agree that it is coaching, and it all seems to be on defense. They appear to be able to pull RBs, WRs, OL, and even TEs out of thin air. The DL seems okay. But they can't find LBs and DBs to save their lives.

I don't follow other teams closely enough to know how bad the Steelers depth concerns are. Is this just 2019 salary cap football? Or are they far off the curve?

Fire Goodell
02-27-2019, 11:05 AM
One does not simply replace Ryan Shazier
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/297/820/3c5.jpg

Hound
02-27-2019, 04:31 PM
No, but you can upgrade over Vince and Bostic

86WARD
02-27-2019, 04:56 PM
Sky am blue.

hawaiiansteeler
02-27-2019, 05:05 PM
No, but you can upgrade over Vince and Bostic

yeah, we need to find an ILB that can cover Keenan Allen on crucial passing downs :stirthepot:

Fire Goodell
02-27-2019, 06:33 PM
yeah, we need to find an ILB that can cover Keenan Allen on crucial passing downs :stirthepot:

:chuckle:

ALLD
03-02-2019, 10:52 AM
Maybe next time they will try drafting 4 safeties in order to find one to play ILB and one backup?

hawaiiansteeler
04-07-2019, 04:44 PM
WATCH RYAN SHAZIER COMPLETE A BOX JUMP AS HE CONTINUES TO MAKE PROGRESS IN RECOVERY FROM SPINAL INJURY

By Dan Hope on April 7, 2019

Ryan Shazier made another impressive step in his recovery from his spinal injury on Sunday.

Wearing an Ohio State T-shirt, the former Buckeyes linebacker posted a video to his Instagram account on Sunday of himself doing a box jump at the Pittsburgh Steelers' training facility.

to read rest of article:

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2019/04/103525/watch-ryan-shazier-complete-a-box-jump-as-he-continues-to-make-progress-in-recovery-from-spinal-injury

pczach
04-07-2019, 05:45 PM
WATCH RYAN SHAZIER COMPLETE A BOX JUMP AS HE CONTINUES TO MAKE PROGRESS IN RECOVERY FROM SPINAL INJURY

By Dan Hope on April 7, 2019

Ryan Shazier made another impressive step in his recovery from his spinal injury on Sunday.

Wearing an Ohio State T-shirt, the former Buckeyes linebacker posted a video to his Instagram account on Sunday of himself doing a box jump at the Pittsburgh Steelers' training facility.

to read rest of article:

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2019/04/103525/watch-ryan-shazier-complete-a-box-jump-as-he-continues-to-make-progress-in-recovery-from-spinal-injury

That's incredible! Wonderful to see.

I hope he continues to improve and ultimately achieves his goal.

Fire Goodell
04-08-2019, 03:10 AM
That guy's attitude is nothing short of inspirational

Dwinsgames
04-08-2019, 09:34 AM
shazier continuing to work

amazing what he has accomplished so far ....

steelreserve
04-08-2019, 10:06 AM
It's remarkable the amount of progress he's made in the last 6 months or so - completely different than the way he was before that.

Still, he looks to be a long way from playing pro football.

Born2Steel
04-08-2019, 10:30 AM
The day Shazier is dressed out and has his name announced as the team comes out of the tunnel at Heinz is going to be a great day indeed. When he takes the field, in whatever capacity, that stadium is going to experience a 9.9 quake. I no longer doubt that he will make it back to the field. Can he ever play his old role again is still a question, but I am convinced #50 will play again.

munchy
04-08-2019, 02:43 PM
great, colbert probably saw the video and will rely on shazier to fix our ilb problem