PDA

View Full Version : Steelers brass hated the word circus. What do they think of rebuild?

Shoes
02-23-2019, 12:54 PM
For two guys who didn’t want to admit the Steelers were a “circus,” they sure are doing a lot to tear down the big top.
Team president Art Rooney II bristled at references to the Black and Gold being a “circus” after a chaotic 2018 came to a disappointing close. It featured a season-long contractual absence from star running back Le’Veon Bell. And, at the time, former All-Pro wide receiver Antonio Brown still hadn’t been heard from since he was suspended for the club’s finale against Cincinnati.
“As far as I’m concerned, it’s nonsense,” Rooney said on Jan. 16. (https://triblive.com/sports/tim-benz-art-rooney-iis-take-on-steelers-circus-is-pure-nonsense/)
https://triblive.com/sports/tim-benz-steelers-brass-hated-the-word-circus-what-do-they-think-of-rebuild/

Mojouw
02-23-2019, 01:41 PM
We can argue the semantics, but the Steelers are one of about 3 or 4 franchises in the league that does not believe in the tear down and rebuild cycle of competition. The Patriots, the Packers, Seahawks, and the Steelers have taken a almost 20 year approach of being competitive and a fringe Super Bowl contender every year. They are cap maxed every year and believe in building primarily through the draft to get cost controlled players to supplement their veteran stars. The specifics of the approach vary franchise by franchise.

Most of the rest of the league moves through cycles of boom and bust. The Jaguars window has likely already closed. They loaded up on cheap defensive talent and throw FA $$ around on offense to try and make it work. Now all those guys need paid and I'm not sure they have an offensive lineman under contract and are close to capped out. The Eagles are another model. They went all in on the rookie QB and loaded up on talent to try and get it down. Now the piper needs paid and they project to start shedding talent. I can list other examples.

Point? The Steelers are always going to be a B to A- team in terms of roster talent. Its just what they do. Hard to view it as a rebuild when you never dip into the C zone.