PDA

View Full Version : Landon Collins??

RunNGun
02-20-2019, 04:07 PM
Just saw a post saying he cleaned his locker out in NY. With all the cap space we should have...I don't see any reason we don't make a play on him.

teegre
02-21-2019, 06:56 AM
We don’t have much cap space, but I love me some Landon Collins.

More importantly, Tomlin loved him during that draft, but couldn’t get the deal done (in order to trade up to #33 to acquire Landon Collins).

Hound
02-21-2019, 07:49 AM
We need CB and ILB

BlackAndGold
02-21-2019, 02:42 PM

More importantly, Tomlin loved him during that draft, but couldn’t get the deal done (in order to trade up to #33 to acquire Landon Collins).

I know it's hindsight to talk about but, looking how the 2015 draft class turned out they should offered more picks from that class to acquire Collins.

86WARD
02-21-2019, 02:53 PM
He’s all the Giants have on defense. I doubt they’d let him go.

RunNGun
02-21-2019, 04:26 PM

I guess I don't know the numbers, but trading AB, as well as not having to pay Bell, and not to mention, the possibility of not bringing back Gilbert or Foster would lead me to believe we should have more room than we've had in a long time.

- - - Updated - - -

We need CB and ILB

Collins could easily fill the dime backer role that we've so long been searching for. Would also help greatly in defending the run. I like the thought of having Davis, Edmunds, and Collins on the field in some formations.

hawaiiansteeler
02-21-2019, 06:01 PM
Collins could easily fill the dime backer role that we've so long been searching for. Would also help greatly in defending the run. I like the thought of having Davis, Edmunds, and Collins on the field in some formations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_3l7H0wSXQ&start_radio=1&list=RDw_3l7H0wSXQ&t=49

Mojouw
02-21-2019, 06:10 PM
Collins may be a good safety. I'm honestly not sure. I don't watch any Giants football. He keeps going to Pro Bowls and not causing turnovers. So I guess he is really good SS in run support?

But no way a guy with this reputation and accolades signs to play a sub-package role. So that means he starts at SS and Davis stays at FS and Edmunds moves to whatever you want to call the 3rd safety.

While those guys might make plays, unless that is going to be your base defense -- it is problematic use of resources.

Collins is gonna cost, what -- $10 million per year? And then you shift last year's cost controlled 1st round pick to the bench?

Now a base 3-3-5 --- and add DBs from their for nickel and dime....different story....wonder if it could work?

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
02-21-2019, 06:42 PM
He’s all the Giants have on defense. I doubt they’d let him go. Plus a player that sounds like a Clash song would probably want a big payday.

st33lersguy
02-21-2019, 08:44 PM
Too expensive

86WARD
02-21-2019, 10:18 PM
Collins may be a good safety. I'm honestly not sure. I don't watch any Giants football. He keeps going to Pro Bowls and not causing turnovers. So I guess he is really good SS in run support?

But no way a guy with this reputation and accolades signs to play a sub-package role. So that means he starts at SS and Davis stays at FS and Edmunds moves to whatever you want to call the 3rd safety.

While those guys might make plays, unless that is going to be your base defense -- it is problematic use of resources.

Collins is gonna cost, what -- $10 million per year? And then you shift last year's cost controlled 1st round pick to the bench?

Now a base 3-3-5 --- and add DBs from their for nickel and dime....different story....wonder if it could work?

More DBs kinda really didn’t help the Chargers come close to beating the Patriots though...

Mojouw
02-21-2019, 10:48 PM
More DBs kinda really didn’t help the Chargers come close to beating the Patriots though...

Excellent point. I think you and I have both been circling around the issue of what is the next trend in offensive approach going to be? Are teams going to continue to spread everything out, or are more teams going to copy the Pats and just run defenses designed to counter spread passing off the field?

I think it will be a little bit of both and you will see a split open up across the league as some teams go for approach a and others approach b. This was kinda how it was in the early hey-day of Walsh inspired passing attacks. Some teams went all in on that approach and others retained a more run oriented approach.

I do think that a base 3-3-5 could expose you to getting the ball run right down the middle on you. But maybe it can work, even against a "power" run game IF you have 3 monsters at safety? Collins-Edmunds-Davis is not too shabby a collection of athletes.

Who knows? But some sort of counter has to emerge. Because staying in base and traditional nickel sets kinda got a lot of teams beat last season...

teegre
02-22-2019, 06:42 AM
I know it's hindsight to talk about but, looking how the 2015 draft class turned out they should offered more picks from that class to acquire Collins.

100%

http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/they-might-be-giants-but-could-have-been-steelers/

Of course, had they not spent so much time trying working out a trade with the Giants (for OBJ), and spent that same amount of time working out a trade with the Rams (fir Aaron Donald)... WOW!!!

Born2Steel
02-23-2019, 08:41 AM
I recommend get 2 quality CBs for the price of 1 Landon Collins. OR use that money to get CJ Mosley.

teegre
02-23-2019, 11:27 AM
I guess I don't know the numbers, but trading AB, as well as not having to pay Bell, and not to mention, the possibility of not bringing back Gilbert or Foster would lead me to believe we should have more room than we've had in a long time.

- - - Updated - - -

In Omar Khan we trust. :nod:

Agreed. We have been longing for that “dime backer” player for several years.

- - - Updated - - -

It wasn’t a bad package against the Ravens, but it certainly was against the Taperiots. Timing... akin to deploying your goal line defense on third-&-20.

- - - Updated - - -

I recommend get 2 quality CBs for the price of 1 Landon Collins. OR use that money to get CJ Mosley.

I don’t necessarily disagree. I’m all about acquiring a CB in free agency... e.g. Josh Norman.

Collins, Norman, & a R2 pick on an ILB.

hawaiiansteeler
02-23-2019, 03:12 PM
we definitely need more playmakers in the secondary...

BEERgods225
02-24-2019, 12:00 AM
I don’t necessarily disagree. I’m all about acquiring a CB in free agency... e.g. Josh Norman.

Collins, Norman, & a R2 pick on an ILB.

According to Overthecap.com we have about 19M$ in cap space after losing Bell, Shazier, and Brown.

Why can't we sign a couple of middling players like CB Pierre Desir, ILB Jordan Hicks, and a Top notch S like Landon Collins? (He'd cost about as much as Shazier did last year... 10M$ ish range.) Landing Collins would allow us to keep our young FS in place, Start Collins at SS, and Move the rookie Edmunds to ILB. Once you address those three positions it frees up draft stock for whatever you want. (However my approach wouldn't change much because FA's can't usually be counted on long term.)

RD1 - CB - any of the top three (Greedy, Murphy, Baker)
RD1 or 2 * (AB Trade) - ILB - Mack Wilson or Devin Bush
RD2 - WR - Ridley or Deebo
RD3 - OLB De Andre Walker or Carl Granderson
RD4 - OG - Connor McGovern
RD6 - TE - Alize Mack
RD6 - CB Depth
RD7 - RB Depth

* - AB Trade - Oakland has three picks, two of which in the bottom eight picks. Green Bay has two picks, one in the bottom three. and Arizona and SF are in the top three of the second round. So I feel that somewhere between 24 and 35 is a likely landing spot for a top pick from a Brown trade.

teegre
02-24-2019, 07:47 AM
According to Overthecap.com we have about 19M$ in cap space after losing Bell, Shazier, and Brown.

Why can't we sign a couple of middling players like CB Pierre Desir, ILB Jordan Hicks, and a Top notch S like Landon Collins? (He'd cost about as much as Shazier did last year... 10M$ ish range.) Landing Collins would allow us to keep our young FS in place, Start Collins at SS, and Move the rookie Edmunds to ILB. Once you address those three positions it frees up draft stock for whatever you want. (However my approach wouldn't change much because FA's can't usually be counted on long term.)

RD1 - CB - any of the top three (Greedy, Murphy, Baker)
RD1 or 2 * (AB Trade) - ILB - Mack Wilson or Devin Bush
RD2 - WR - Ridley or Deebo
RD3 - OLB De Andre Walker or Carl Granderson
RD4 - OG - Connor McGovern
RD6 - TE - Alize Mack
RD6 - CB Depth
RD7 - RB Depth

* - AB Trade - Oakland has three picks, two of which in the bottom eight picks. Green Bay has two picks, one in the bottom three. and Arizona and SF are in the top three of the second round. So I feel that somewhere between 24 and 35 is a likely landing spot for a top pick from a Brown trade.

I’d leave Edmunds at safety. The Steelers have wanted to use a “three-safety” set for a while, but unfortunately, Burnett was injured and/or the third safety has simply underwhelmed.

Note: Some of that $19 million will be used to sign and/or extend current Steelers (e.g. Alualu, Hilton).

RunNGun
02-24-2019, 10:10 PM
Edmunds just doesn't have the size for ILB, imo. If we go after Collins then I would expect we run a lot more 3 safety formations. It would be a nice problem to have.

86WARD
02-25-2019, 07:35 AM
Edmunds just doesn't have the size for ILB, imo. If we go after Collins then I would expect we run a lot more 3 safety formations. It would be a nice problem to have.

That was the group of thoughts when they signed Burnett...