PDA

View Full Version : Leveon Bell is a Free Agent

tube517
02-20-2019, 11:59 AM

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/no-drama-steelers-gm-says-no-tag-will-used-rb-leveon-bell-175527177.html

JnK
02-20-2019, 12:47 PM
.... and flying under the fan radar. This is one guy who is super happy for all of the Mr. Big Chest media frenzy right now. Limelight isn't on him at the moment.

Iron Steeler
02-20-2019, 12:53 PM
So do we now not get a comp pick ?
or do we?
Can someone explain to me how the comp pick works?
Can someone do my taxes?

I'm confused.

Fire Goodell
02-20-2019, 12:59 PM
I think we get a 2020 3rd round pick barring some technicalities on how many free agents we sign. Could be a 3rd rounder or nothing at all, sorry that's not much help :chuckle: I'm sure someone else knows more on this subject than i do

vader29
02-20-2019, 01:03 PM
https://media1.tenor.com/images/65462eb653e8e463521f5f4922db5553/tenor.gif?itemid=5626858

Shoes
02-20-2019, 01:04 PM
Good

steelreserve
02-20-2019, 01:13 PM
So do we now not get a comp pick ?
or do we?
Can someone explain to me how the comp pick works?
Can someone do my taxes?

I'm confused.

This affects nothing with comp picks.

As far as the overall way of determining comp picks, it is a Top Secret black box, but basically all you need to know is that it is guaranteed to give us garbage.

Also, while most teams seem to get their gains and losses consolidated into a single comp pick that is either garbage or slightly less garbage, the Patriots get it spread out across multiple low picks for each player for some reason, and since all comp picks are in the quantity-over-quality part of the draft, that works out pretty well for them.

Fire Goodell
02-20-2019, 02:22 PM
I wouldn't say they're all garbage. Wasn't Hines Ward a rd. 3 comp pick?

st33lersguy
02-20-2019, 02:26 PM
Good. He wasn't going to sign any tags anyway

vader29
02-20-2019, 02:39 PM

Yep, list of Steeler comp picks up until 2014:
https://steelersdepot.com/2015/03/history-of-steelers-compensatory-draft-picks/

Compensatory Draft Picks Cancellation Chart:
https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

steelreserve
02-20-2019, 02:51 PM

Yes, and we got Brown in the 6th round, but that does not mean your usual 6th round pick is going to be anything other than garbage. Both cases are just the same random chance that you might get lucky with any pick. Like I said, quantity over quality at that point in the draft.

All a comp pick means is you get "a guy." It's about the most whatever-ish kind of afterthought to a transaction that there is.

AtlantaDan
02-20-2019, 02:53 PM
Let’s see what he gets

If Bell’s agent says Bell is comparable to Todd Gurley my response would be that is true - both were injured and non- factors in their conference championship game appearances, so why would I risk a break the bank contract for a RB with a history of getting injured

86WARD
02-20-2019, 03:01 PM
Disappointed.

86WARD
02-20-2019, 03:45 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190220/fea05655f7e92036b22e8702b5672aca.jpg

Edman
02-20-2019, 04:00 PM
Good for him. Some team will overpay for him and he'll complain again.

Fire Goodell
02-20-2019, 04:14 PM

So happy for the guy! Praise the lord, I could only imagine how bad it sucks to get paid 14 million a year to play in a league that millions of people would die for the chance to play for :chuckle:

hawaiiansteeler
02-20-2019, 04:33 PM
Good for him. Some team will overpay for him and that team will regret it.

there, fixed that for you.

stillers4me
02-20-2019, 04:36 PM
It doesn't matter how big of a contract either Brown or Bell gets. As soon as another player gets a bigger, better one (which will happen within a year), both of them will start taking temper tantrums again because the contract they signed isn't good enough any more.

steelreserve
02-20-2019, 04:46 PM

lol, is that tweet real? If so ... THAT'S the best you could come up with after a whole year to think of a snappy send-off tweet?

Dwinsgames
02-20-2019, 05:05 PM
lol, is that tweet real? If so ... THAT'S the best you could come up with after a whole year to think of a snappy send-off tweet?

well to be fair he isn't very bright

Fire Goodell
02-20-2019, 05:07 PM
well to be fair he isn't very bright

QFT

steelreserve
02-20-2019, 05:13 PM
I bet if Martin Luther King were alive, he'd be pretty pissed at someone using his quote like that. Completely missing the point of his famous "I Have a Drink" speech.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-20-2019, 05:15 PM
should have tagged him. It sets a precedent that all you have to do is not show up for a season and then can walk. What good is having the franchise tag in the CBA then?

fansince'76
02-20-2019, 05:19 PM
I bet if Martin Luther King were alive, he'd be pretty pissed at someone using his quote like that. Completely missing the point of his famous "I Have a Drink" speech.

He probably got the idea from his idiot agent, who also equates the NFL to modern day "slavery." :rolleyes:

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-20-2019, 05:19 PM

I agree. Might have to amend it to "I have seen the promised land....a land of $14million dollars for playing a game ...and I have chosen to blaze a new path of smoking weed and riding jet skis."

NCSteeler
02-20-2019, 05:20 PM
should have tagged him. It sets a precedent that all you have to do is not show up for a season and then can walk. What good is having the franchise tag in the CBA then?Whatever, if a guy is willing to go a whole season of aging without pay so be it . He took his lumps to get what he wants. Buy I'll bet LBs contract will not be near what he expects and eventually dumbasses will.learn to take the cash pay the game and make more cash

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

GoSlash27
02-20-2019, 05:48 PM
He probably got the idea from his idiot agent, who also equates the NFL to modern day "slavery." :rolleyes:

Wouldn't that make him the modern day equivalent to a slave trader? :peep:

Fire Goodell
02-20-2019, 06:10 PM
Wouldn't that make him the modern day equivalent to a slave trader? :peep:

I'm guessing Le'Veon Bell is Eskimo Joe, aka The Black Hercules :chuckle:

DesertSteel
02-20-2019, 06:15 PM
Nothing would make me happier than for him and Mr. Big Chest to begin a steep decline this season. May they both be blessed with poor o line play, bad QBs and lose a step to Father Time.

NCSteeler
02-20-2019, 06:24 PM
Nothing would make me happier than for him and Mr. Big Chest to begin a steep decline this season. May they both be blessed with poor o line play, bad QBs and lose a step to Father Time.Outside of Ray Lewis I rarely wish players bad will but these two will be high on my wish list this coming season. Kind wish they both end up with Jets or bills and experience great heart break

AtlantaDan
02-20-2019, 06:35 PM
should have tagged him. It sets a precedent that all you have to do is not show up for a season and then can walk. What good is having the franchise tag in the CBA then?

Sitting out a year is a serious financial hit - before someone else does it their agent may run the numbers on whether Bell made the $$$ back that he lost this year

Maybe the precedent is be careful about tagging someone twice since they can bank the tag $$$ from the first tag to bankroll sitting out when you get tagged twice

steelreserve
02-20-2019, 06:56 PM
Sitting out a year is a serious financial hit - before someone else does it their agent may run the numbers on whether Bell made the $$$ back that he lost this year

Maybe the precedent is be careful about tagging someone twice since they can bank the tag $$$ from the first tag to bankroll sitting out when you get tagged twice

The offer he turned down was 5 years, $70M. So he'll need 4 years, $70M to equal it. Or if it's 5 years, then $84.5M to make up for the $14.5M he skipped for his lost year.

That's just to break even. To actually come out ahead, he would need real QB money. I don't think this will become the thinking man's negotiating tactic in the future. The franchise tag cost is that high for a reason, which is to make the math work against you HARD if you ever tried this bullshit.

I still think the full-season holdout was all about weed, not money, or he would've come back the day after the trade deadline.

teegre
02-21-2019, 06:54 AM

“I didn’t land on Plymouth Rock... uh... shame on you, Tennessee, you can’t fool me again.”

vader29
02-21-2019, 12:23 PM

NCSteeler
02-21-2019, 12:30 PM
1098619667780907008How does that guy keep a job?

Dwinsgames
02-21-2019, 01:30 PM

86WARD
02-21-2019, 02:52 PM

And yet Kordell Stewart led teams went to more AFC Championship games...lol.

AtlantaDan
02-21-2019, 06:44 PM
And yet Kordell Stewart played on teams went to more AFC Championship games...lol.

Fixed it for you :chuckle:

Craic
02-21-2019, 09:37 PM

I wonder why everyone misses the risk factor.
It isn't a straight money earned to money lost equation. It's real money earned to potential money lost due to injury. Whether we like it or not, that's been the sticking point.

st33lersguy
02-21-2019, 09:41 PM

But some how the main reason those teams never got to the super bowl (Keith butler) is still on the damn team.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-21-2019, 10:00 PM
It isn't a straight money earned to money lost equation. It's real money earned to potential money lost due to injury. Whether we like it or not, that's been the sticking point.

Yup, for Ryan Shazier its a 5 year career and total of $18.2 million dollars in career earnings. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/ryan-shazier-14424/cash-earnings/ If he wasn't injured, who knows how much he would have made.

Guys playing on a franchise tag are not immune to career ending injuries in the NFL.

Dwinsgames
02-21-2019, 11:13 PM

that's why there is also insurance policies

Craic
02-22-2019, 02:25 AM
that's why there is also insurance policies
I wonder how much a policy against injury is . . . especially one that would pay out twenty-fifty million?

NCSteeler
02-22-2019, 06:15 AM
I wonder how much a policy against injury is . . . especially one that would pay out twenty-fifty million?https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/leonard-fournettes-10m-policies-and-the-unregulated-world-of-player-protection/

The policies bought by his parents cover him for $10 million in total disability in the event of a career-ending injury and $10 million for circumstances that would lead to him falling from his projected NFL draft spot.

These days, you cannot typically purchase one without the other even if you wanted to. And when premiums run approximately $8,000 per $1 million of coverage, there's a lot of money going around even if the covered player finishes his career with no more than a hangnail.

teegre
02-22-2019, 06:34 AM
I hope that Bell signs for $25 million/season... and, so should you.

The more money Bell signs for as a free agent, the larger the amount that the Steelers could spend in free agency before they offset that amount.

For example, let’s say Bell only signs for $10 million/season (“Yerg, take dat!!!”), and the Steelers spend $10 million in free agency; it’d be a net of ZERO... meaning a R3 comp pick is less likely. Whereas, if Bell signs for $25 million/season (“Argh, I hate dat a$$hole!!!”), the Steelers would have a net of PLUS $15 million... making it far more likely that we get a R3 comp pick.

Note: The math is not “exactly” like I listed, but it’s essentially how comp picks work.

AtlantaDan
02-22-2019, 07:23 AM
Word on the street is that Bell, who’s playing weight is about 225 pounds, ballooned to around 260 pounds at one point during his year-long hiatus. There’s a fair amount of concern from the Jets about what kind of shape he’s in at the moment.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-sports-jets-mailbag-bell-brown-20190220-story.html

If teams want to circulate rumors to try to drive down Bell’s market value, his past conduct such as the jet ski video where he looked bloated provides a lot of material to work with

IMO his biggest problem will be the doubts on whether the Rams overpaid Gurley

I do not believe it is missed - the difficulty is how to quantify it

Bell risked getting injured by playing in 2018, with a consequent impact on his future earnings, and any team that signs him to a long term contract risks him getting injured early in the span of that multi-year contract, with a consequent impact on his future production that impact's the team's return on its investment

Bell's problem is that contracts for running backs are lower due to both the risk of injury/wear and tear as well as the perception running backs can be more easily replaced on the cheap.

FiveThirtyEight ran an article shortly after Bell failed to report that contended Bell was more likely to maximize his earnings by playing in 2018 and cashing the franchise tag checks

Bell’s camp must balance the amount of guaranteed money he is likely to earn in the open market with the risk of injury if he plays this season....

https://fivethirtyeight.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/hermsmeyer-bell-01.png?w=575

If Bell is able to land a contract worth more than Todd Gurley’s, for a total guaranteed contract value of $55 million, holding out becomes a profitable decision.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/hermsmeyer-bell-2.png?w=575

If Bell’s overriding goal is to get paid and maximize his earnings, his best course of action is to report immediately to team headquarters and start cashing his checks.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-leveon-bell-might-make-more-money-if-he-ends-his-holdout-now/

86WARD
02-22-2019, 07:57 AM
I read the over weight thing was #fakenews...

:dunno:

AtlantaDan
02-22-2019, 08:06 AM
I read the over weight thing was #fakenews...

:dunno:

Bell's trainer denied it - that's someone who is not going to burn a client :rolleyes:

It’s so untrue it’s laughable and ridiculous,” Bommarito stated. “He has stuck to the plan and stayed in shape all year. It’s ridiculous. Where does this stuff come from? Who says this? Nobody asked me.

https://sports.yahoo.com/leveon-bells-trainer-rips-report-rbs-weight-hit-260-pounds-holdout-012640270.html

FWIW when the jet ski photos circulated there were observations Bell did not look to be in playing shape

But it is like negative campaign ads - if the rumor has a plausible basis it can hurt Bell's bargaining position

With his multiple suspensions there has always been the perception Bell is a bigger risk than most players once he gets the guaranteed $$$

DesertSteel
02-22-2019, 09:35 AM
IMO his biggest problem will be the doubts on whether the Rams overpaid Gurley

Coupled with the fact that the 2018 replacement outplayed the 2017 Bell.

Fire Goodell
02-22-2019, 10:51 AM
Coupled with the fact that the 2018 replacement outplayed the 2017 Bell.

They did overpay for Gurley, no RB is worth that much. However, the only reason why that contract ever happened was because Goff is still on his rookie contract. Any time it's a QB's turn to get paid, the only guys on offense making that kind of money are the WRs or OL.

Hate to say it but RBs are the most replaceable pieces in the offense. It's not uncommon for a rookie RB to come into the league and start ripping 1000 yard seasons from the get-go. Not so much you see the same production from a rookie OL or WR, that's why they make the big bucks (harder learning curve / harder to replace).

Unfortunate that RBs have a shorter shelf life, but in business not everything is 'fair'. If Bell wanted market value as a WR he should have become one (though with his 4.6/4.7 speed, good luck with that).

AtlantaDan
02-22-2019, 11:32 AM
They did overpay for Gurley, no RB is worth that much. However, the only reason why that contract ever happened was because Goff is still on his rookie contract.

IMO stirring up excitement to sell PSLs for the new stadium that opens in 2020 was a big factor - Gurley still had 2018 and 2019 left on his rookie deal and given the risk of a running back getting injured (like Gurley did) with multiple years left on his current deal extending him last summer at well above market rates was odd

steelreserve
02-22-2019, 04:55 PM
I hope that Bell signs for $25 million/season... and, so should you.

The more money Bell signs for as a free agent, the larger the amount that the Steelers could spend in free agency before they offset that amount.

For example, let’s say Bell only signs for $10 million/season (“Yerg, take dat!!!”), and the Steelers spend $10 million in free agency; it’d be a net of ZERO... meaning a R3 comp pick is less likely. Whereas, if Bell signs for $25 million/season (“Argh, I hate dat a$$hole!!!”), the Steelers would have a net of PLUS $15 million... making it far more likely that we get a R3 comp pick.

Note: The math is not “exactly” like I listed, but it’s essentially how comp picks work.

Seriously - who even gives a shit. This team has problems that a comp pick at the end of round 3 is not going to fix.

While fans do like to see their team win, there is also a desire to see your enemies crushed; you could probably plot it similar to the lovely graphs above. The paltry amount of help we would get from Bell being remarkably successful in is negotiations - essentially the first pick of the fourth round, IF THAT - is insignificant by comparison with the satisfaction of seeing a dickhead get what's coming to him. Fuck that draft pick, let him get a DUI and a year-long drug suspension tomorrow.

Would it be worth a fourth-round draft pick to you if it meant they found Tom Brady's helmet radio, and he got a season-long ban and never made the Hall of Fame, and all of his accomplishments were called into question? Because that would sure be worth it to me. Same idea.

DesertSteel
02-22-2019, 07:58 PM
They did overpay for Gurley, no RB is worth that much. However, the only reason why that contract ever happened was because Goff is still on his rookie contract. Any time it's a QB's turn to get paid, the only guys on offense making that kind of money are the WRs or OL.

Hate to say it but RBs are the most replaceable pieces in the offense. It's not uncommon for a rookie RB to come into the league and start ripping 1000 yard seasons from the get-go. Not so much you see the same production from a rookie OL or WR, that's why they make the big bucks (harder learning curve / harder to replace).

Unfortunate that RBs have a shorter shelf life, but in business not everything is 'fair'. If Bell wanted market value as a WR he should have become one (though with his 4.6/4.7 speed, good luck with that).
Yeah... parents, don't let your kids be Running Backs!

- - - Updated - - -

Outside of Ray Lewis I rarely wish players bad will but these two will be high on my wish list this coming season. Kind wish they both end up with Jets or bills and experience great heart break

One thing for sure - the Steelers took the best from both of them. Neither will ever duplicate the numbers they put up in the black and gold.

teegre
02-23-2019, 11:40 AM
Seriously - who even gives a shit. This team has problems that a comp pick at the end of round 3 is not going to fix.

While fans do like to see their team win, there is also a desire to see your enemies crushed; you could probably plot it similar to the lovely graphs above. The paltry amount of help we would get from Bell being remarkably successful in is negotiations - essentially the first pick of the fourth round, IF THAT - is insignificant by comparison with the satisfaction of seeing a dickhead get what's coming to him. Fuck that draft pick, let him get a DUI and a year-long drug suspension tomorrow.

Would it be worth a fourth-round draft pick to you if it meant they found Tom Brady's helmet radio, and he got a season-long ban and never made the Hall of Fame, and all of his accomplishments were called into question? Because that would sure be worth it to me. Same idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzvFNLAnYNw&app=desktop

hawaiiansteeler
02-26-2019, 03:29 PM
The Jets, Buccaneers and Eagles are expected to be "involved" for Le'Veon Bell. - Jason La Canfora, CBS

It's unclear if La Canfora was reporting news or was just speculating, but these teams make sense. The Jets have tons of cap space and could afford Bell. The Eagles and Buccaneers do not, but they have opportunities to slash veteran salaries to obtain Bell. It's been speculated that Bell wants $50 million over his first two years, which seems absurd.

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors#oFMAdmzw0Q3pTczu.99

teegre
02-27-2019, 06:49 AM
I’ve said since September (?) that Bell will likely end up with the Colts. They have the cap space to pay him $25 million, and he’d be the perfect weapon for Luck (whose talents are being wasted).

86WARD
02-27-2019, 06:52 AM
$50M over first two years?? Lol. He’s trying to get that $14.5M he lost back...

Any team that pays that is insane and setting themselves up for failure.

teegre
02-27-2019, 06:56 AM

Bell is simply asking for $100,000 per pound...

86WARD
02-27-2019, 11:44 AM
Eagles decided not to tag Foles...could be signs that they need to money for Bell...

Fire Goodell
02-27-2019, 12:11 PM

Only team that'd make sense to honestly is the Colts. They have a good enough squad to where 1-2 additional pieces could make them a championship team. Any other team, the cap hit would hamstring their chances.

With that said, the Colts haven't really shown interest in Bell, and already have a pretty deep backfield.

steelreserve
02-27-2019, 12:20 PM
I’ve said since September (?) that Bell will likely end up with the Colts. They have the cap space to pay him $25 million, and he’d be the perfect weapon for Luck (whose talents are being wasted).

Calling it now, Bell will end up with the Dolphins and it will be for less than $10M a season. Certainly less than $12M. Most of it will be guaranteed and he will point to that as a "win" even though he lost $20M or more overall with the holdout.

hawaiiansteeler
02-27-2019, 02:20 PM
Calling it now, Bell will end up with the Dolphins and it will be for less than $10M a season.

I don't necessarily disagree with the Dolphins but I definitely disagree with the less than $10 million/season. people are going to be surprised at how much $ some team will offer him.

Born2Steel
02-27-2019, 03:13 PM
Since it seems to be the guaranteed part of contracts that are the cause of a lot of the disgruntlement, who gets the blame for these guys acting out/holding out? If the rest of the NFL is guaranteeing a larger percentage of long term contracts, are the Steelers merely being called out for being ‘cheap’? OR do we have diva players that are just trying to squeeze more guaranteed money out of what will probably be their last NFL contract? It could be some of both or none of the above but I tend to think if the money got right for both sides everyone would right back in love again.

Mojouw
02-27-2019, 03:27 PM
Since it seems to be the guaranteed part of contracts that are the cause of a lot of the disgruntlement, who gets the blame for these guys acting out/holding out? If the rest of the NFL is guaranteeing a larger percentage of long term contracts, are the Steelers merely being called out for being ‘cheap’? OR do we have diva players that are just trying to squeeze more guaranteed money out of what will probably be their last NFL contract? It could be some of both or none of the above but I tend to think if the money got right for both sides everyone would right back in love again.

We have a winner! Even the dumbest of these guys can figure out the difference between guaranteed and not guaranteed cash. If not, their agent will certainly explain it to them.

These guys are increasingly aware that they are one violent play away from not making any more $$$ playing in the NFL. So why play for a team that isn't willing to share that risk? Especially when 80% or so of the rest of the league is willing to do so.

That and the more ego driven "star" players in the league are starting to push back hard against the idea that the QB has to make the most money and be catered to the most. We are going to keep seeing versions of this across the league between now and the next CBA. And then the next CBA is going to be a bitter negotiation that could alter things as much as the rookie wage scale did last time.

steelreserve
02-27-2019, 05:23 PM
I don't necessarily disagree with the Dolphins but I definitely disagree with the less than $10 million/season. people are going to be surprised at how much $ some team will offer him.

Yeah, you're right. Surprised at how little they offer him!

Sorry, but I just do not see a bidding war erupting for the services of Mr. Bell-Einstein. Maybe he cracks the $10M mark by a little, but ... he is basically the same as the guys who were getting $12M or whatever last year, only with a ton more baggage, a year away from the field, and a lot of liabilities. Whatever he's getting though, it sure ain't 25.

We have a winner! Even the dumbest of these guys can figure out the difference between guaranteed and not guaranteed cash. If not, their agent will certainly explain it to them.

These guys are increasingly aware that they are one violent play away from not making any more $$$ playing in the NFL. So why play for a team that isn't willing to share that risk? Especially when 80% or so of the rest of the league is willing to do so.

That and the more ego driven "star" players in the league are starting to push back hard against the idea that the QB has to make the most money and be catered to the most. We are going to keep seeing versions of this across the league between now and the next CBA. And then the next CBA is going to be a bitter negotiation that could alter things as much as the rookie wage scale did last time.

Regarding the first part of your post - it is precisely because Bell is dumb, and because his agent is also dumb, that he could not figure out the first $40M of his contract offer WAS guaranteed, even in case of catastrophic injury, just because of the horrific cap implications of terminating the contract early. Only a drug suspension would've been likely to change that. Really a case of being too dumb to see what's in your own best interest.

Having said that, the second part of what you said is right on, and unfortunately it overrides the first, because at the end of the day, if you don't have a deal because the person on the other side of the negotiating table is stupid - well, you still don't have a deal. Even if guaranteed money works a little differently in our contracts than elsewhere, if nobody understands that because it takes 15 minutes to grasp and they are only interested in the 30-second sound bite ... we are absolutely at a disadvantage.

Guaranteed money is going to be the big sticking point for the next few years, it is going to get ugly in the next CBA, and it is a shame because there really is no reason not to. Probably the cap rules will get even more convoluted. The one saving grace may be if it causes a prolonged dispute thst leads to Goodell getting fired. One can only hope.

hawaiiansteeler
02-27-2019, 05:46 PM
Yeah, you're right. Surprised at how little they offer him!

Sorry, but I just do not see a bidding war erupting for the services of Mr. Bell-Einstein. Maybe he cracks the $10M mark by a little, but ... he is basically the same as the guys who were getting $12M or whatever last year, only with a ton more baggage, a year away from the field, and a lot of liabilities.

Le'Veon will crack the $10M mark by a lot...

steelreserve
02-27-2019, 06:47 PM
Le'Veon will crack the $10M mark by a lot...

Sorry, don't think so. If he does, it will not be by a lot.

teegre
02-28-2019, 07:00 AM
Calling it now, Bell will end up with the Dolphins and it will be for less than $10M a season. Certainly less than $12M. Most of it will be guaranteed and he will point to that as a "win" even though he lost $20M or more overall with the holdout.

The Dolphins??? :huh: How banal. I would have bet that you would have posted something much more clever, like...

“Top Five teams Bell will play for during 2019 season”:

5. Cincinnati Bengals
4. Atlanta Legends
3. San Jose Sabrecats
2. Thunder Down Under (Las Vegas)
1. Steve’s “Basement of Debauchery” fetish dungeon (floor mopper)

steelreserve
02-28-2019, 09:08 AM
The Dolphins??? :huh: How banal. I would have bet that you would have posted something much more clever, like...

5. Cincinnati Bengals
4. Atlanta Legends
3. San Jose Sabrecats

Ok, fine:

1. Oakland Weed Raiders
2. Miami Weed Dolphins
3. New York Weed Jets
4. Kansas City Weed Chiefs
5. CAROLINA SEX PANTHERS

SteelMember
02-28-2019, 09:38 AM
Sex Panther is a formidable scent. 60% of the time, it works every time...

Fire Goodell
02-28-2019, 01:16 PM

5. Cincinnati Bengals
4. Atlanta Legends
3. San Jose Sabrecats

Birmingham Iron! For 88k a year

tube517
02-28-2019, 02:02 PM
Leave'on is in the wrong sport.

Bryce Harper hit .249 last year and is getting $330 million. :scratchchin:

86WARD
02-28-2019, 02:26 PM
Leave'on is in the wrong sport.

Bryce Harper hit .249 last year and is getting $330 million. :scratchchin:

13 years. $330M. No opt out clauses. As a Phillies fan, I hate that deal. As a Phillies fan, I’m happy to see Bryce Harper on the roster.

tube517
02-28-2019, 02:37 PM
13 years. $330M. No opt out clauses. As a Phillies fan, I hate that deal. As a Phillies fan, I’m happy to see Bryce Harper on the roster.

I still remember Magic Johnson signing his 25 year $25 million contract in 1981 and people flipping out over that.

#weareold

vasteeler
02-28-2019, 02:58 PM

As a Philly fan mice elf, I agree with what you said

86WARD
02-28-2019, 03:11 PM
As a Philly fan mice elf, I agree with what you said

Although, it’s not my money so who cares!! Lol

hawaiiansteeler
02-28-2019, 03:15 PM
13 years. $330M. No opt out clauses.

I wonder what Harper's batting average will be 13 years from now?

NCSteeler
02-28-2019, 03:40 PM
I wonder what Harper's batting average will be 13 years from now?I don't understand baseball. How much value can one player bring to the bottom line? Those owners make more than NFL?

86WARD
02-28-2019, 03:45 PM
I wonder what Harper's batting average will be 13 years from now?

What’s funny is when Harper gets his last paycheck from the Phillies, the Mets will still be paying Bobby Bonilla for another 4 years...

hawaiiansteeler
02-28-2019, 03:51 PM
Sorry, don't think so. If he does, it will not be by a lot.

how about if Le'Veon gets less than $12 million/year you win the bet and if he receives over I win?

sound fair?

hawaiiansteeler
02-28-2019, 05:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjbdOYBOVEQ

steelreserve
02-28-2019, 08:02 PM
how about if Le'Veon gets less than $12 million/year you win the bet and if he receives over I win?

sound fair?

You got yourself a bet there, fat boy!

AtlantaDan
03-01-2019, 12:42 PM
Another cautionary tale for Bell's drive for a Todd Gurley size payday

The question of whether or not Todd Gurley (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/2000877/todd-gurley) is healthy has been one of the biggest mysteries in the NFL (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl) over the past few months and although the team won't come out and say it, there's definitely some concern inside the organization about his left knee....

A team source also said that the team is concerned about the amount of hits that Gurley is taking.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/rams-may-consider-drastic-option-if-todd-gurleys-knee-regresses-during-offseason/

Bell's value is as an every down back. The Gurley concerns about injury along with wear and tear are a good fit for Bell as well.

hawaiiansteeler
03-01-2019, 01:58 PM
You got yourself a bet there, fat boy!

I'm actually in pretty good shape and not fat at all, my body fat % was tested last month at 24 Hours Fitness and I'm in the "athletic" category.

but I will drink a couple of beers to celebrate my winning bet with you once Le'Veon signs his ridiculous contract that some team will give him. :tt03:

steelreserve
03-01-2019, 02:11 PM
I'm actually in pretty good shape and not fat at all, my body fat % was tested last month at 24 Hours Fitness and I'm in the "athletic" category.

but I will drink a couple of beers to celebrate my winning bet with you once Le'Veon signs his ridiculous contract that some team will give him. :tt03:

How about the loser has to make Tom Brady their avatar for a month? Gayest picture you can find.

hawaiiansteeler
03-01-2019, 02:27 PM
How about the loser has to make Tom Brady their avatar for a month? Gayest picture you can find.

there's some damn gay Tom Brady pics out there too.

got yourself a deal, never thought I would ever root for Bell-Einstein to get a big contract...

pczach
03-01-2019, 04:21 PM

got yourself a deal, never thought I would ever root for Bell-Einstein to get a big contract...

What a sellout!! :rofl2:

86WARD
03-01-2019, 04:27 PM

Witness.

hawaiiansteeler
03-01-2019, 05:02 PM
What a sellout!! :rofl2:

would you want a gay Tom Brady avatar pic for a month? :puke:

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/57958745/its-true-april-im-gay-and-we-cheat-its-the-gaytriots-way.jpg

pczach
03-01-2019, 06:45 PM
would you want a gay Tom Brady avatar pic for a month? :puke:

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/57958745/its-true-april-im-gay-and-we-cheat-its-the-gaytriots-way.jpg

No.....I most certainly would not!

Steelerchad
03-02-2019, 02:50 PM
Here's to hoping the rumors about Bell floating to the 260 range are true and he never regains the fitness level he had in Pittsburgh, signs a middle of the road contract that he loses money on and is done playing in 2 or 3 years.
F Him.

hawaiiansteeler
03-02-2019, 03:19 PM
Here's to hoping the rumors about Bell floating to the 260 range are true and he never regains the fitness level he had in Pittsburgh, signs a middle of the road contract that he loses money on and is done playing in 2 or 3 years.
F Him.

here’s to hoping that Bell signs a contract for over $12 million/year and then balloons up to over 260 lbs and is out of the league as soon as possible.

86WARD
03-02-2019, 07:06 PM
Eagles will want to match the Phillies in headlines...lol.

Craic
03-03-2019, 01:34 AM

sound fair?

Clarification between you two . . . is that 12 mill a year guaranteed or twelve million a year potential?

steelreserve
03-03-2019, 10:25 AM
Clarification between you two . . . is that 12 mill a year guaranteed or twelve million a year potential?

I think it will be less than $12 million a year total.

For $12M guaranteed ... now that's real crackhead country.

hawaiiansteeler
03-05-2019, 02:26 PM
this should make teams think twice about committing big $$$ to the RB position:

Todd Gurley knee injury might involve arthritis, creating long-term concern for RB's status

Gurley reportedly is battling arthritis in his left knee, which would be a major problem

by Will Brinson

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/todd-gurley-knee-injury-might-involve-arthritis-creating-long-term-concern-for-rbs-status/

Fire Goodell
03-05-2019, 03:45 PM
This is why I don't believe in 'guaranteed' contracts. If Gurley never plays another down in his life, he still is paid while the Rams organization is up shit's creek for the next few years.

But I guess it's the new generation's sense of entitlement, they want to get paid for not working

AtlantaDan
03-05-2019, 04:21 PM
This is why I don't believe in 'guaranteed' contracts. If Gurley never plays another down in his life, he still is paid while the Rams organization is up shit's creek for the next few years.

But I guess it's the new generation's sense of entitlement, they want to get paid for not working

Of course that new generation’s sense of entitlement to a guaranteed contract has been standard operating procedure in the NBA, NHL and MLB for some time. Amazing how those leagues stay in business while operating under the dead weight of guaranteed contracts.

It is a matter of economic power, not NFL owners maintaining moral standards of requiring a honest day’s work for a day’s pay. Maybe someone like Sidney Crosby is a slacker who wants to get paid for not working - more likely Crosby, Bryce Harper and LeBron James belong to more effective unions than a clown show like the NFLPA that have done a better job of advancing their members interests.

steelreserve
03-05-2019, 05:17 PM
Of course that new generation’s sense of entitlement to a guaranteed contract has been standard operating procedure in the NBA, NHL and MLB for some time. Amazing how those leagues stay in business while operating under the dead weight of guaranteed contracts.

It is a matter of economic power, not NFL owners maintaining moral standards of requiring a honest day’s work for a day’s pay. Maybe someone like Sidney Crosby is a slacker who wants to get paid for not working - more likely Crosby, Bryce Harper and LeBron James belong to more effective unions than a clown show like the NFLPA that have done a better job of advancing their members interests.

The other leagues also have a lot more ways you can maneuver financially, like sign-and-trades, buyouts, and trades that are straight-up salary dumps. Fully guaranteed contracts can work with that, but not without it, so the NFL would have to overhaul a lot of its salary cap rules or it'd be a horrible shitfuck for everyone.

Of course, with that in mind, there will almost certainly be fully guaranteed or mostly guaranteed contracts in the next CBA, and I fully expect them to take some half-assed measure that's overlawyered to death, and creates an even WORSE shitfuck than the worst one possible now.

Also, I have to say that while I understand why players would want fully guaranteed contracts, that does not necessarily convince me there is a compelling reason why they "should" get them, or "deserve" them as a matter of principle. Everything about a job playing pro sports is a lottery-ticket fantasy, and there are no guarantees, and you are not inherently entitled to any security. If you were the world's best guitar player and one day you couldn't play the guitar anymore - well, explain how much you should be paid for that and why. It sucks, but it's all part of the give and take of negotiations. The fact that it's not that way in the NFL is just the way they happen to do business there, not some great injustice.

AtlantaDan
03-05-2019, 05:37 PM
The other leagues also have a lot more ways you can maneuver financially, like sign-and-trades, buyouts, and trades that are straight-up salary dumps. Fully guaranteed contracts can work with that, but not without it, so the NFL would have to overhaul a lot of its salary cap rules or it'd be a horrible shitfuck for everyone.

Of course, with that in mind, there will almost certainly be fully guaranteed or mostly guaranteed contracts in the next CBA, and I fully expect them to take some half-assed measure that's overlawyered to death, and creates an even WORSE shitfuck than the worst one possible now.

Also, I have to say that while I understand why players would want fully guaranteed contracts, that does not necessarily convince me there is a compelling reason why they "should" get them, or "deserve" them as a matter of principle. Everything about a job playing pro sports is a lottery-ticket fantasy, and there are no guarantees, and you are not inherently entitled to any security. If you were the world's best guitar player and one day you couldn't play the guitar anymore - well, explain how much you should be paid for that and why. It sucks, but it's all part of the give and take of negotiations. The fact that it's not that way in the NFL is just the way they happen to do business there, not some great injustice.

Agreed players not getting guaranteed contracts is no more a violation of a fundamantal right than baseball owners losing the reserve clause and ability to control a player forever in the 1970s was an egregious blow to sacred contract rights.

We are not talking screwing someone out of paying them minimum wage - it's a business dispute. Just saying the NFL owners could learn how to deal with guaranteed contracts like other pro sports leagues have.

NCSteeler
03-05-2019, 05:46 PM
Agreed players not getting guaranteed contracts is no more a violation of a fundamantal right than baseball owners losing the reserve clause and ability to control a player forever in the 1970s was an egregious blow to sacred contract rights.

We are not talking screwing someone out of paying them minimum wage - it's a business dispute. Just saying the NFL owners could learn how to deal with guaranteed contracts like other pro sports leagues have.It's really simple , you pay a guy what he's worth to you for how many years you think he's viable. A little gamble a little logic and math.

steelreserve
03-05-2019, 06:27 PM

We are not talking screwing someone out of paying them minimum wage - it's a business dispute. Just saying the NFL owners could learn how to deal with guaranteed contracts like other pro sports leagues have.

They definitely could, but I think they've gotten themselves stuck so deep in the mud with their current cap rules that there is almost no way they get out of that without fucking it up entirely.

Under the current cap system, guaranteed contracts are an incredible risk that's not worth taking except for the rare player so talented he can demand whatever he wants. Under a different cap system, they would be much less risky - but I have serious doubts about their ability to get there, thanks to the fact that the commissioner is a moron and the people negotiating for the player's union are also morons. Changing one but not the other (guarantees but not cap system) would be a disaster, but that is exactly what's likely to happen. With the chance also that a proposal like that makes it to the full owners' group and they vote it down, and then we're in a lockout or strike. At least that would probably be the end of Goodell. I doubt he's smart enough to see it coming, much less negotiate his way out of it.

Mojouw
03-05-2019, 07:36 PM
They definitely could, but I think they've gotten themselves stuck so deep in the mud with their current cap rules that there is almost no way they get out of that without fucking it up entirely.

Under the current cap system, guaranteed contracts are an incredible risk that's not worth taking except for the rare player so talented he can demand whatever he wants. Under a different cap system, they would be much less risky - but I have serious doubts about their ability to get there, thanks to the fact that the commissioner is a moron and the people negotiating for the player's union are also morons. Changing one but not the other (guarantees but not cap system) would be a disaster, but that is exactly what's likely to happen. With the chance also that a proposal like that makes it to the full owners' group and they vote it down, and then we're in a lockout or strike. At least that would probably be the end of Goodell. I doubt he's smart enough to see it coming, much less negotiate his way out of it.

Combine all that with the intractable nature of a bloc of owners to never increase the share of the pie going to players or the power players have over movement, and it is a recipe for labor strife.

I think you have really hit on the mechanisms of a new model. Something closer to the NBA, where contracts are gauraunteed, but there are multiple mechanisms for getting out of those obligations and even the trading of cap space.

One obvious solution is some sort of "buyout" or "injury waiver" clause on the cap for each team. For instance, say Shazier was on a $12 million per year guaranteed contract and his injury still happened. Maybe he still gets his cash, but that money is not counted against the cap after the league year the injury took place in. Obviously, some definition of when this mechanism could be used would have to be worked out...

smokin3000gt
03-05-2019, 07:57 PM
I would also like a guaranteed salary, where do I sign?

AtlantaDan
03-05-2019, 08:24 PM
I would also like a guaranteed salary, where do I sign?

Be a NHL, NBA, or MLB player, assuming you do not take the alternative path of being a CEO of one of the many companies that hand out contracts with golden parachutes to executives that wreck the company :rolleyes:

Fire Goodell
03-05-2019, 09:02 PM
Be a NHL, NBA, or MLB player, assuming you do not take the alternative path of being a CEO of one of the many companies that hand out contracts with golden parachutes to executives that wreck the company :rolleyes:

Run for office and spend 90% of your time on twitter, that seems to to be the thing now, both sides are doing it. Guaranteed paycheck right there, you don't even have to do a good job once you get elected :chuckle:

86WARD
03-07-2019, 02:36 PM
The Bears are looking to trade Jordan Howard. I think it’s to add picks in the draft this year (I think I read they only have five picks). More importantly, I think they may be posturing themselves to sign Bell. I think they may be doing it under radar...

Fire Goodell
03-07-2019, 02:38 PM
The Bears actually would be a pretty good fit for Bell. Ace pass blocker and receiver out of the backfield is good for a young QB

hawaiiansteeler
03-07-2019, 02:51 PM
The Bears actually would be a pretty good fit for Bell. Ace pass blocker and receiver out of the backfield is good for a young QB

as would the Chiefs...

86WARD
03-07-2019, 03:12 PM

He would be a perfect fit for Nagy’s system as well. Supplement Bell with Spencer Ware and the Bears take the next step...

hawaiiansteeler
03-07-2019, 03:16 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers Running Back Le’Veon Bell Recruits Potential Free Agents To Join Him On His New Team

March 7, 2019

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — Le’Veon Bell is hot on the recruitment trail now that the Steelers decided not to tag the running back.

Bell will hit free agency in a couple of weeks, and now he is taking it upon himself to find some high-profile new teammates.

Bell tweeted at Giants safety Landon Collins, Seahawks safety Earl Thomas, Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu and Ravens safety Eric Weddle Wednesday.

to read rest of article:

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019/03/07/bell-recruits-new-teammates-to-his-new-team/

hawaiiansteeler
03-11-2019, 07:01 PM
Yates: Jets could be landing spot for Bell

http://www.espn.com/video/clip/clip?id=26217165

teegre
03-11-2019, 07:51 PM
Akbar Gbaja-Biamila tweeted a gif of Bell, and the word “Nevermore.”

It might explain why the Ravens have released Mosley, Weddle, Smith, & Smith. (Those four salaries should be enough to cover Bell’s contract.)

86WARD
03-11-2019, 08:00 PM

It might explain why the Ravens have released Mosley, Weddle, Smith, & Smith. (Those four salaries should be enough to cover Bell’s contract.)

Lol.

st33lersguy
03-11-2019, 08:22 PM
Yeah get rid of most of your top defenders (even if some are past their primes) to go after a fat rb only motivated by money. This will end well, not.

- - - Updated - - -

Suggs is gone too (to Arizona)

86WARD
03-12-2019, 03:10 PM

hawaiiansteeler
03-12-2019, 10:45 PM
it's going to be a close bet steelreserve, rumor has it that Bell is receiving contract offers in the $12 million/year range.

if that's true, Leave'on should have accepted the Steelers' last offer.

steelreserve
03-12-2019, 10:54 PM
it's going to be a close bet steelreserve, rumor has it that Bell is receiving contract offers in the $12 million/year range.

if that's true, Leave'on should have accepted the Steelers' last offer.

What happens if it's exactly $12 million? Nobody has to have a Brady avatar, or both do?

Definitely right about the second part. I mean, if it's short of $18M or $20M a year, he should've accepted the Steelers' offer. THAT'S how dumb this was.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
03-12-2019, 10:54 PM

if that's true, Leave'on should have accepted the Steelers' last offer. Would be funny if he doesn't accept any offers and sits out another year.

DesertSteel
03-12-2019, 10:57 PM
Would be funny if he doesn't accept any offers and sits out another year.
Even funnier would be him signing and then failing a drug test...

hawaiiansteeler
03-12-2019, 11:14 PM
What happens if it's exactly $12 million? Nobody has to have a Brady avatar, or both do?

Definitely right about the second part. I mean, if it's short of $18M or $20M a year, he should've accepted the Steelers' offer. THAT'S how dumb this was.

if we tie we can just say we both were right.

and no kidding, he bet on himself but seems to have lost.

teegre
03-12-2019, 11:27 PM
Even funnier would be him signing and then failing a drug test...

Or... Bell re-signs with the Steelers for $9 million/season.

BlackAndGold
03-12-2019, 11:38 PM
Bell signs with the Jets.

- - - Updated - - -

03-12-2019, 11:42 PM
Bell signs with the Jets.

- - - Updated - - -

1105689352766738432 Great now we got to see a Tom Brady avatar running around here for a month

hawaiiansteeler
03-12-2019, 11:55 PM
Great now we got to see a Tom Brady avatar running around here for a month

not on my profile :yay3::dance:

03-13-2019, 12:07 AM
not on my profile :yay3::dance: Haha

NCSteeler
03-13-2019, 08:33 AM
Flat out Bell looses. He'll never make up the 14 he passed on and his total guarantee is less than or equal to what the Steelers offered.

86WARD
03-14-2019, 07:33 AM
I don’t exactly recall but the only place he seems to win is the guaranteed money in first two seasons?

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-14-2019, 08:34 AM
I don’t exactly recall but the only place he seems to win is the guaranteed money in first two seasons?

That is likely the principal many players look for in a longer term contract. Every year of the tag is a gamble that you don't have a career threatening injury. Steelers were not really providing any security in the alleged contract offers in the way of guaranteed money.

I still find it amusing that he held out the season to miss $14million dollars that year, but now signs contract for $13million. Oh well, moving on.

AtlantaDan
03-14-2019, 09:08 AM

Hard to ignore the huge benefit of showcasing his rap career in New York City, not to mention being a big part of the debut of the Jets new uniform. That clearly is more important than mere money, which we all know this was never about.

Le’Veon Bell May Be Making Less Money With the Jets, But Decision to Sit Out 2018 Was Still Worth It

Bell ended up in a place where he can blossom further as a star and entertainer. My colleague Andy Benoit wrote about what he expects Bell to do on the field for the Jets (https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/13/leveon-bell-free-agency-signs-jets-revamps-offense). But Bell will be marketed in the greatest city in the world as the guy who will help the sophomore quarterback take the next step. He’ll surely be part of the new uniform debut this spring.

And he’ll have more opportunities to pursue his rap career.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/13/leveon-bell-jets-free-agency-contract-steelers

steelreserve
03-14-2019, 09:36 AM
Yeah, if it wasn't Miami, it was going to be NY or Las Vegas (L.A. too, except neither team needed a high-priced RB).

Does it count as a rap "career" if the only ones who care are your personal entourage of like 50 people who are only interested in hanging out with you because of your football money?

Strikes me as kind of like the rap career of Ron Artest, er - Metta World Peace - or basically any idiot who has a "record label" just because they say they have a record label.

st33lersguy
03-14-2019, 10:54 AM
Hard to ignore the huge benefit of showcasing his rap career in New York City, not to mention being a big part of the debut of the Jets new uniform. That clearly is more important than mere money, which we all know this was never about.

Le’Veon Bell May Be Making Less Money With the Jets, But Decision to Sit Out 2018 Was Still Worth It

Bell ended up in a place where he can blossom further as a star and entertainer. My colleague Andy Benoit wrote about what he expects Bell to do on the field for the Jets (https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/13/leveon-bell-free-agency-signs-jets-revamps-offense). But Bell will be marketed in the greatest city in the world as the guy who will help the sophomore quarterback take the next step. He’ll surely be part of the new uniform debut this spring.

And he’ll have more opportunities to pursue his rap career.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/13/leveon-bell-jets-free-agency-contract-steelers

I love the spin doctors. Won't accept he made a big mistake in sitting out the year. Of course my question is, wouldn't it have been just been better to play in 2018, earn the $14.5 million then gone to New York to help his rap career? Anyway you slice, he lost $14.5 million and a year of his prime and now he got less than what was originally offered

AtlantaDan
03-15-2019, 08:58 AM
The contract details are out and confirm this is a total cluster for Bell and his agent

Bell will earn $26 million in the first two years of the contract, $25 million of it guaranteed, according to NFL Network. There is no other guaranteed money in his deal.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2019/03/14/Le-Veon-Bell-s-contract-with-Jets-even-worse-than-it-first-looked/stories/201903140153

Comparison of what Bell is getting and what he decided to leave on the table

Although the deal is worth $52.5 million and could max out at $61 million (https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1105689352766738432) if Bell reaches every incentive, the only numbers that really matter are the guarantees in his contract, because that's the only money Bell will definitely be getting.

According to NFL Network (https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1106214519741837314), Bell's contract includes includes (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/leveon-bell-12329/) $25 million in fully guaranteed money, which means he'll be walking away with at least that much, even if the Jets cut him after the 2019 season.

So how does that stack up to the Steelers (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/PIT/pittsburgh-steelers/) final offer from July 2018?

Let's take a look.

Year 1 (2018)

Money he would've earned under Year 1 of new Steelers contract: $20.5 million
Money he would've earned under franchise tag: $14.5 million

Actual NFL money earned: $0

Year 2 (2019)

Money he would've earned through two years of Steelers contract: $33 million

Actual NFL money to be earned after one year with Jets: $14.5 million

Year 3 (2020)

Money he would've earned through three years of Steelers contract: $45 million

Actual NFL money to be earned through two years with Jets: $26 million

Assuming Bell didn't suffer any catastrophic injuries during his time with the Steelers, he likely lost out on roughly $19 million for sitting out the 2018 season.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/leveon-bell-contract-details-revealed-heres-how-much-jets-new-star-may-have-lost-by-sitting-out-2018/

steelreserve
03-15-2019, 09:15 AM
Now the big question is, will he rent billboards in Pittsburgh apologizing for his rap career.

hawaiiansteeler
03-15-2019, 04:45 PM
Disingenuous Le’Veon Bell supporters cannot mask the fact that deal with Jets was a disaster

Hoping to reset the market and earn $17 million a year from seemingly anyone but the Jets, the contract Le’Veon Bell signed on Tuesday with New York was not even close to the deal the Steelers offered in 2018.

By Simon Chester
Mar 15, 2019

When the news of Le’Veon Bell’s signing with the New York Jets was announced on Tuesday night, there were some who heralded the deal as a victory the former Pittsburgh Steelers running back. By Thursday morning, it became rather obvious that the fabricated numbers floated in the immediate wake of his signing were far from the truth, the reality highlighting a deal that guaranteed him much less than advertised.

As reported by multiple sources around the NFL, Bell has agreed to a contract that will pay him a total of $52.5 million over four-years, a deal worth significantly less than the Steelers offered him last year.

Bell will earn $26 million through the first two years of the deal, a figure that includes a signing bonus worth a mere $8 million and includes guaranteed base salaries and roster bonuses through 2020. By comparison, the Steelers offered a $17 million signing bonus and a cash flow of $33 million over the same period.

to read rest of article:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/3/15/18265707/disingenuous-leveon-bell-supporters-cannot-mask-the-fact-that-deal-with-jets-was-a-disaster-nfl-news

03-15-2019, 05:11 PM
Bell wanted the Guaranteed Money because he probably plans to retire in a year or so.

fansince'76
03-15-2019, 05:18 PM
Hard to ignore the huge benefit of showcasing his rap career in New York City...

I know nothing about rap, but if what I've heard from people who are informed on the genre is accurate, Bell's rap "skills" will probably go over like the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sSIE-o2V9g

"I think it's...not good." :chuckle:

tube517
03-15-2019, 05:38 PM
I know nothing about rap, but if what I've heard from people who are informed on the genre is accurate, Bell's rap "skills" will probably go over like the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sSIE-o2V9g

"I think it's...not good." :chuckle:

Silvio could probably play a lick or two..... :chuckle:

hawaiiansteeler
03-15-2019, 05:47 PM
Now the big question is, will he rent billboards in Pittsburgh apologizing for his rap career.

'Free At Last': Le'Veon Bell's song lyrics

I said I'm robbin' these n—
Ain't got no mask on
I did what you couldn't do
I got a backbone
Oh yeah, I'm takin' they bags
Ain't got no mask
And when it comes to this cash
I need it bad
I'm gonna take they money with no mask on (x2)
$50 mill, $60 mill, $90 mill
Just on a deal
But no it's not a slave deal
I'm gonna make them open up they safe
I'm just doing what I gotta do to get me paid

[Verse 1]

No I'm not breaking no rules
I gotta stomach you fools
I'm working don't need no tools
They want to do what I do
Money is making me rude
I see that I'm in the news
And they not signing me back, but
They got to pay for it too
I got to stay on the move
I got to stick it and move
I'm only gonna speak the truth
My diamonds fresh out the pool
I know that my business boom
You want to do what I do
I don't think you got a clue
They got control over you
They don't want you at the table
They gonna put you through some bulls— if they able
They gonna work you and work you and underpay you
I told them f— it I'm outtie just like a naval

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/leveon-bell-rap-album-review-lifes-a-gamble-underwhelms-steelers-reference/5z2ymd9no4e21h82qvj101pbu

Fire Goodell
03-15-2019, 06:06 PM
I want the cash, I need it bad

(Turns down 70 million for 52.5 million)

Nobody said this guy was smart :chuckle:

steelreserve
03-15-2019, 06:56 PM
'Free At Last': Le'Veon Bell's song lyrics

I said I'm robbin' these n—
Ain't got no mask on
I did what you couldn't do
I got a backbone
Oh yeah, I'm takin' they bags
Ain't got no mask
And when it comes to this cash
I need it bad
I'm gonna take they money with no mask on (x2)
$50 mill, $60 mill, $90 mill
Just on a deal
But no it's not a slave deal
I'm gonna make them open up they safe
I'm just doing what I gotta do to get me paid

[Verse 1]

No I'm not breaking no rules
I gotta stomach you fools
I'm working don't need no tools
They want to do what I do
Money is making me rude
I see that I'm in the news
And they not signing me back, but
They got to pay for it too
I got to stay on the move
I got to stick it and move
I'm only gonna speak the truth
My diamonds fresh out the pool
I know that my business boom
You want to do what I do
I don't think you got a clue
They got control over you
They don't want you at the table
They gonna put you through some bulls— if they able
They gonna work you and work you and underpay you
I told them f— it I'm outtie just like a naval

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/leveon-bell-rap-album-review-lifes-a-gamble-underwhelms-steelers-reference/5z2ymd9no4e21h82qvj101pbu

So basically ... playing football makes you a gangster because they pay you?

Or, at least more of a gangster than the other guys who are also playing football and getting paid but they aren't gangsters, just you? :noidea:

Or maybe, since gangsters are known for being kind of dumb, making a big stink about money in order to actually get millions of dollars LESS money makes you stupid, and therefore like a gangster?

Just trying to get this straight, I may not be on the same wavelength as Mr. Bell-Luther-King-Einstein.

Also, you can't rhyme "move" with "move." That's not how it works.

hawaiiansteeler
03-15-2019, 07:02 PM
Just trying to get this straight, I may not be on the same wavelength as Mr. Bell-Luther-King-Einstein.

another thing to be grateful for...

teegre
03-15-2019, 08:57 PM
Bell is more like Vanilla Ice (than he is like Ice Cube).

vasteeler
03-15-2019, 09:12 PM

I can't wait for you to change that god damn avitar

pczach
03-15-2019, 10:03 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn977W9HjWM

Bluecoat96
03-15-2019, 10:14 PM
Now the big question is, will he rent billboards in Pittsburgh apologizing for his rap career.Yeah, no shit. He is BAD. Not Michael Jackson "Bad" either. I bet Stephen Hawking could have put out a better rap album than Bell.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Fire Goodell
03-16-2019, 12:54 AM
Bell is more like Vanilla Ice (than he is like Ice Cube).

His CD should have a parental advisory: could lower your IQ by 50 points by listening to this and make you legally retarded - warning on the cover

Born2Steel
03-16-2019, 09:36 AM
His CD should have a parental advisory: could lower your IQ by 50 points by listening to this and make you legally retarded - warning on the cover

"Legally retarded"...LOL!!! Do you have a permit to be this retarded, sir?

Sorry, that just made me laugh. I don't know why.

munchy
03-16-2019, 09:59 AM
first off............lol at bell
second, thank god he turned down our offers
the steelers were actually fools for even offering it to him. hope they learned a huge lesson here.
if you have a great qb, decent/good cheap receivers are all you need
if you have a great oline, decent/good cheap rbs are all you need

smokin3000gt
03-16-2019, 10:29 AM

seriously.. we didn't make the bet, why must we suffer? :chuckle:

Hawkman
03-16-2019, 10:56 AM

:rofl2:

steelreserve
03-16-2019, 01:35 PM

Humph. Keep it up and I'll find one even WORSE. I know they exist.

Hawkman
03-16-2019, 01:49 PM
Humph. Keep it up and I'll find one even WORSE. I know they exist.

:sorry::no:

AtlantaDan
03-19-2019, 07:59 PM
Bell and his agent going on a media spin tour with ESPN and SI to put lipstick on their pig of a contract negotiation strategy

Turns out Bell's clown agent did not know Bell did not need to report last season in order to qualify for free agency in 2019 - masterful knowledge of the CBA there

Bell said Thursday he absolutely intended to show up on the team's bye week in Week 7 to sign his tender and get to work. But shortly before then, Bell learned that he didn't need to play any games to hit free agency. Before then, he thought he needed to play six games for an accrued season, but turns out he was free as long as the Steelers didn't tag him again. The Steelers ultimately decided the $14.5 million transition tag for 2019 was too steep.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/30399/i-was-so-torn-inside-leveon-bells-year-in-nfl-exile

Of course there was no master plan before then either. As Bell tells SI:

His original goal was to only miss Week 1. As certain events began to unfold leading up to the season opener, however, Bell started to contemplate missing more games.

"At first I was literally thinking like, 'I don't want to play camp and OTAs' because of the hurt in my body and I'm like, 'I'm not playing,'" Bell told Sports Illustrated. "When Week 1 comes, I'm going to come, but the things that kind of led up to Week 1, I started thinking, 'I'm not going to play Week 1.' After even Week 1, it started to build up and it's not making me feel comfortable."

Bell said he couldn't recall specifically what kept him from returning early on in the season.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/19/leveon-bell-did-not-plan-sitting-out-all-2018-season-steelers-jets

You forfeited $850,000 a week in salary and you don't remember why exactly you did not report? :noidea: Whatever Le'Veon was smoking must have been damn good. :chuckle:

hawaiiansteeler
03-19-2019, 09:54 PM
Bell said he couldn't recall specifically what kept him from returning early on in the season.

yeah, smoking weed does make you forgetful. :smoker:

pczach
03-20-2019, 05:50 AM
Bell and his agent going on a media spin tour with ESPN and SI to put lipstick on their pig of a contract negotiation strategy

Turns out Bell's clown agent did not know Bell did not need to report last season in order to qualify for free agency in 2019 - masterful knowledge of the CBA there

Bell said Thursday he absolutely intended to show up on the team's bye week in Week 7 to sign his tender and get to work. But shortly before then, Bell learned that he didn't need to play any games to hit free agency. Before then, he thought he needed to play six games for an accrued season, but turns out he was free as long as the Steelers didn't tag him again. The Steelers ultimately decided the $14.5 million transition tag for 2019 was too steep.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/30399/i-was-so-torn-inside-leveon-bells-year-in-nfl-exile

Of course there was no master plan before then either. As Bell tells SI:

His original goal was to only miss Week 1. As certain events began to unfold leading up to the season opener, however, Bell started to contemplate missing more games.

"At first I was literally thinking like, 'I don't want to play camp and OTAs' because of the hurt in my body and I'm like, 'I'm not playing,'" Bell told Sports Illustrated. "When Week 1 comes, I'm going to come, but the things that kind of led up to Week 1, I started thinking, 'I'm not going to play Week 1.' After even Week 1, it started to build up and it's not making me feel comfortable."

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/19/leveon-bell-did-not-plan-sitting-out-all-2018-season-steelers-jets

You forfeited $850,000 a week in salary and you don't remember why exactly you did not report? :noidea: Whatever Le'Veon was smoking must have been damn good. :chuckle:

And here I thought his holdout was for a higher calling. I thought he was sacrificing himself so that all the other running backs would get their true value...…..:jerkit:

teegre
03-20-2019, 06:29 AM
Josh Harris knows why...

AtlantaDan
03-20-2019, 06:41 AM
Josh Harris knows why...

Apparently so :chuckle:

Bell jumps on the Ben is a bad teammate bandwagon in the full SI story

Bell says Roethlisberger wasn’t the only factor in his wanting to leave Pittsburgh—but “yes, it was a factor.” Bell says he and Roethlisberger didn’t quite vibe; Bell wishes they’d shared a “more open, more genuine, more real” relationship. He says players didn’t feel like they were treated by the QB as being on the same level as him. “Quarterbacks are leaders; it is what it is,” Bell says. But “you’re still a teammate at the end of the day. You’re not Kevin Colbert. You’re not [team president Art] Rooney.” ...

“The organization wants to win. Tomlin wants to win. Ben wants to win—but Ben wants to win his way, and that’s tough to play with. Ben won a Super Bowl, but he won when he was younger. Now he’s at this stage where he tries to control everything, and [the team] let him get there. He adds: “So if I’m mad at a player and I’m not throwing him the ball—if I’m not throwing A.B. the ball and I’m giving JuJu [Smith-Schuster] all the shine or Jesse [James] or Vance [McDonald] or whoever it is, and you know consciously you’re making your other receiver mad but you don’t care—it’s hard to win that way.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/20/leveon-bell-steelers-jets-free-agency-contract

IMO this is clearly bullshit on Bell's part. His contract negotiation strategy failed and now he is grasping at post hoc excuses for why he did not take the Steelers deal by repeating what he heard AB say to force a trade.

teegre
03-20-2019, 06:48 AM
@AtlantaDan

I’m waiting for Bell to bleach his mustache. Until then, I won’t take his words seriously.

AtlantaDan
03-20-2019, 08:19 AM
@AtlantaDan

I’m waiting for Bell to bleach his mustache. Until then, I won’t take his words seriously.

Not certain adding a bleached mustache would provide any help for someone who rambles like this :coffee:

Click the video and you tell me if you can keep up with his thoughts.

https://triblive.com/sports/first-call-leveon-bell-explains-absence-from-steelers-hurricanes-duck-hunt-penguins/

DesertSteel
03-20-2019, 10:49 AM
Gold chain is thick, bro.

Fire Goodell
03-20-2019, 10:59 AM
Apparently so :chuckle:

Bell jumps on the Ben is a bad teammate bandwagon in the full SI story

Bell says Roethlisberger wasn’t the only factor in his wanting to leave Pittsburgh—but “yes, it was a factor.” Bell says he and Roethlisberger didn’t quite vibe; Bell wishes they’d shared a “more open, more genuine, more real” relationship. He says players didn’t feel like they were treated by the QB as being on the same level as him. “Quarterbacks are leaders; it is what it is,” Bell says. But “you’re still a teammate at the end of the day. You’re not Kevin Colbert. You’re not [team president Art] Rooney.” ...

“The organization wants to win. Tomlin wants to win. Ben wants to win—but Ben wants to win his way, and that’s tough to play with. Ben won a Super Bowl, but he won when he was younger. Now he’s at this stage where he tries to control everything, and [the team] let him get there. He adds: “So if I’m mad at a player and I’m not throwing him the ball—if I’m not throwing A.B. the ball and I’m giving JuJu [Smith-Schuster] all the shine or Jesse [James] or Vance [McDonald] or whoever it is, and you know consciously you’re making your other receiver mad but you don’t care—it’s hard to win that way.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/20/leveon-bell-steelers-jets-free-agency-contract

IMO this is clearly bullshit on Bell's part. His contract negotiation strategy failed and now he is grasping at post hoc excuses for why he did not take the Steelers deal by repeating what he heard AB say to force a trade.

Doesn't every elite quarterback want to have a lot of say in how the offense is run, and gets it? I mean Manning and Brady I'm sure call a lot of the shots in the offense, I'm sure Brees and Rodgers too. Quarterbacks that are limited by their system are usually that way because they aren't that great.

Steeler-in-west
03-20-2019, 11:16 AM
Have fun playing for the jets. Good luck against the patsies.

86WARD
03-20-2019, 11:55 AM
Who cares.

DesertSteel
03-20-2019, 11:59 AM
Both Bell and AB are dicks. But I’m not going to entirely dismiss what they say about Ben. Because much of it rings true. I mean the general manager comes out in a public statement saying that Ben is the daddy and the other 52 are his kids. Is there more proof needed than that?

Mojouw
03-20-2019, 12:00 PM
Those mean older kids hurt my feelings so I decided to walk away from 14 million dollars.

That makes a ton of sense.

Also, is anyone surprised that the older by over a decade QB from small town Midwest America doesn't vibe with AB and Bell? Other than their employer, these guys don't have a single thing in common. I suspect all three are annoying jerks in their own way!

AtlantaDan
03-20-2019, 12:17 PM

FrancoLambert
03-20-2019, 01:01 PM
Gold chain is thick, bro.

And it’s cutting off the oxygen supply to his teeny, tiny brain.

steelreserve
03-20-2019, 01:04 PM
Also, is anyone surprised that the older by over a decade QB from small town Midwest America doesn't vibe with AB and Bell? Other than their employer, these guys don't have a single thing in common. I suspect all three are annoying jerks in their own way!

That is pretty much the crux of it.

Who wants to hang out at the club with jerks who are stupid as fuck and way into themselves? Other jerks who are full of themselves and stupid as fuck, that's who. Who wants to talk about your shitty rap tracks? Dumbfucks who are into rap music and want to be your friend so bad that they pretend to like your shitty version of it.

In other words, the types of people who "keep it real" with the likes of AB and Bell-Luther-King-Einstein are going to be the groupies who want to hang around because of their money and fame, which makes them feel like their own status is higher. The average NFL quarterback who has more money and more fame than you, and who would be "the old guy at the club," does not really fit that profile.

I mean, Ben does not have the reputation of being the smartest son of a bitch in the world, and is no stranger to nightclub/party shenanigans (of a slightly different variety) ... but if even he is not interested in hanging out with these meatheads, that ought to tell you something.

FrancoLambert
03-20-2019, 01:07 PM
We lose the best WR the game. We lose one of the best RB’s in the game.
Yet, we’re all happy.
Good riddance to two egomaniacs.
AB now has Burfict as a teammate...love it. :whoo:

Fire Goodell
03-20-2019, 01:38 PM
We lose the best WR the game. We lose one of the best RB’s in the game.
Yet, we’re all happy.
Good riddance to two egomaniacs.
AB now has Burfict as a teammate...love it. :whoo:

We didn't lose Bell, he was already gone last season. Offense didn't skip a beat. We just lost AB, we'll see how they respond to that.

I'm optimistic, we still have the same starting o-line (Gilbert basically never played much at all), same RBs, and Big Ben is still our QB

stillers4me
03-20-2019, 04:33 PM
Thread closed.

All LeVeon Bell threads (and Antonio Brown) are now to be located in the Around the NFL forum

Just doing some spring cleaning and taking out the trash. :tt03: