PDA

View Full Version : Let's Make Some Assumptions...

Mojouw
02-20-2019, 11:37 AM
...and assume that AB gets traded for a 2019 first round pick and a 2020 pick in the first 3 rounds. Then, what would you do if you were Colbert in 2019 Round One? For my purposes, I'm gonna say that Brown got shipped to the Dolphins. So I now have 1.13 and 1.20 to work with. And I have a massive pass catching hole on the roster to fill along with a total lack of play making ability in the middle of the field on defense. Plus, my TEs (here I assume Jesse James and Grimble are not brought back) is McDonald and tumbleweeds.

Looking at WR, I already have JuJu (6'1"' 215) and Washington (5'11'' 213) and Rogers (5'10" 187) as my top 3 (here I also assume Rogers is resigned on a 2-3 year deal). So, I figure let's just double down on the one thing I have a decent amount of already, size.

1.13 - DK Metcalf 6'4" 230. So what he doesn't know routes. I start him as red-zone sub-package guy. Then tell him to learn the slot. With his body control and sheer size, he can impact right away.

1.20 - TJ Hockenson (6'5" 250). Again. Size. The top 3 rostered TEs would be McDonald/Hockenson/Hodges (I think?) and all are 6'4 or 6'5" and over 240 pounds.

Then I line up in a great deal of 2 TE sets. Make Nix part of the offense. With all that size, I just bludgeon teams to death. Make all those "coverage linebackers" and "dimebackers" contend with a massive amount of size moving around the middle of the field.

steelreserve
02-20-2019, 01:20 PM
...and assume that AB gets traded for a 2019 first round pick and a 2020 pick in the first 3 rounds. Then, what would you do if you were Colbert in 2019 Round One? For my purposes, I'm gonna say that Brown got shipped to the Dolphins. So I now have 1.13 and 1.20 to work with. And I have a massive pass catching hole on the roster to fill along with a total lack of play making ability in the middle of the field on defense. Plus, my TEs (here I assume Jesse James and Grimble are not brought back) is McDonald and tumbleweeds.

Looking at WR, I already have JuJu (6'1"' 215) and Washington (5'11'' 213) and Rogers (5'10" 187) as my top 3 (here I also assume Rogers is resigned on a 2-3 year deal). So, I figure let's just double down on the one thing I have a decent amount of already, size.

1.13 - DK Metcalf 6'4" 230. So what he doesn't know routes. I start him as red-zone sub-package guy. Then tell him to learn the slot. With his body control and sheer size, he can impact right away.

1.20 - TJ Hockenson (6'5" 250). Again. Size. The top 3 rostered TEs would be McDonald/Hockenson/Hodges (I think?) and all are 6'4 or 6'5" and over 240 pounds.

Then I line up in a great deal of 2 TE sets. Make Nix part of the offense. With all that size, I just bludgeon teams to death. Make all those "coverage linebackers" and "dimebackers" contend with a massive amount of size moving around the middle of the field.

defense still sucks though

Mojouw
02-20-2019, 01:25 PM
defense still sucks though

Yeah. That is a pretty big issue. Haven't heard or read enough about the defensive prospects to get a handle on who could help.

Shoes
02-20-2019, 01:27 PM

I wouldn't mind Metcalf, but I really don't think we need a superstar at WR. I like your 1:20 idea :chuckle: My fear is Hockenson might not make to 20, I'd go D with1:13 and hopefully TJ Hock @ 20 or Fant

Mojouw
02-20-2019, 01:41 PM
I wouldn't mind Metcalf, but I really don't think we need a superstar at WR. I like your 1:20 idea :chuckle: My fear is Hockenson might not make to 20, I'd go D with1:13 and hopefully TJ Hock @ 20 or Fant

I figure Metcalf doesn't last past the teens and a number of "big boards" on the internet have Hockenson lasting into the 20's. I have no idea. Overall point was maybe they switch the offense from just staggering route running and YAC to "Hey. I bet you can't find 11 guys on your roster to contend with all this size."

DesertSteel
02-20-2019, 01:48 PM

So you're totally ignoring the defense with two first round picks?? I'd never do that in a million years. I'd actually go defense with 1.13 and trade back with the 1.20 to late first and go defense with that pick too. With the bonus pick 2nd or 3rd round, I'd then get my WR or TE.

Dwinsgames
02-20-2019, 02:01 PM
I will play along ...

I will say we make a deal with Carolina and secure the number 16 selection ...

with the 16th pick in the 2019 NFL Draft the Pittsburgh Steelers select Devin White LB LSU

with the 20th pick in the 2019 NFL Draft the Pittsburgh Steelers select DeAndre Baker CB Georgia

with the 57th pick in the 2019 NFL Draft the Pittsburgh Steelers select Kelvin Harmon WR NC State

Mojouw
02-20-2019, 02:06 PM
So you're totally ignoring the defense with two first round picks?? I'd never do that in a million years. I'd actually go defense with 1.13 and trade back with the 1.20 to late first and go defense with that pick too. With the bonus pick 2nd or 3rd round, I'd then get my WR or TE.

Totally valid. I just figure that the one sure fire day one starter at ILB in Devin White is off the board in the top 10 picks. As much as I want better play out of the safeties, I don't see a Derwin James level safety prospect in this year's class, so I just decided to hope on improvement from a young Davis and Edmunds pairing. All the 3-4 pass rusher upgrades, I assume go in the top 10. Maybe a CB slips, but I have a hard time seeing the top 2 guys at that position slipping far. So I just decided to double down on what the team already does well - -offense. And hope I can get lucky on defense later in the draft.

Didn't say it was a good idea!

DesertSteel
02-20-2019, 02:15 PM
D. White still may be there at 13........ that said, I highly doubt we get that high of a pick for AB unless we're also sending back draft capital along with AB.

steelreserve
02-20-2019, 02:57 PM
Yeah. That is a pretty big issue. Haven't heard or read enough about the defensive prospects to get a handle on who could help.

I still think our best option is to trade with Arizona for a pick plus Hassan Reddick at ILB, who they don't really want anyway. If we can get their first-round pick too, great, if we pick at the top of the second, that's ok too. Then we can use one of those picks on a Brown replacement or a TE or even both.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
02-20-2019, 03:13 PM
Pick up John Brown in FA then draft Hockenson at 20. Use the higher pick you got for AB to draft BAP on D.

hawaiiansteeler
02-20-2019, 03:17 PM
my assumption is that we don't get a first round draft choice lower than our 1(20) selection, if one at all.

and if we do, our defensive needs at CB, ILB and OLB need to be addressed.

Mojouw
02-20-2019, 03:22 PM
I still think our best option is to trade with Arizona for a pick plus Hassan Reddick at ILB, who they don't really want anyway. If we can get their first-round pick too, great, if we pick at the top of the second, that's ok too. Then we can use one of those picks on a Brown replacement or a TE or even both.

I think regardless of the AB situation, I try and make a trade for Reddick. The absolute worst case scenario for him is that he takes a rotational linebacker spot on the roster. Best case is that he becomes an intriguing piece to play alongside VW in the middle.

86WARD
02-20-2019, 03:23 PM
Hockensen will be gone by 20. He’s one of those players that looks great at 20 but gets scooped up way before as draft stock rises right before the draft.

Mojouw
02-20-2019, 03:29 PM
Hockensen will be gone by 20. He’s one of those players that looks great at 20 but gets scooped up way before as draft stock rises right before the draft.

OK. Then Irv Smith. Personally, I don't care for Fant. He is another in a recent string of basically massive WRs masquerading as a TE.

Bottom line is that if it was my call, I would just get gigantic on offense. Blow teams off the ball. Someone has to try it. And losing AB is as good of an excuse as any to shift the offensive focus. I am not saying that I would actually increase the amount of running plays, I would just run my offense out of a base formation featuring 2 massive TEs and 2-3 WRs that are also pretty darn big.

hawaiiansteeler
02-20-2019, 03:31 PM
OK. Then Irv Smith. Personally, I don't care for Fant. He is another in a recent string of basically massive WRs masquerading as a TE.

Bottom line is that if it was my call, I would just get gigantic on offense. Blow teams off the ball. Someone has to try it. And losing AB is as good of an excuse as any to shift the offensive focus. I am not saying that I would actually increase the amount of running plays, I would just run my offense out of a base formation featuring 2 massive TEs and 2-3 WRs that are also pretty darn big.

your plan could work if the Steelers aggressively addressed their defensive needs in free agency...

86WARD
02-20-2019, 03:34 PM

The Patriots have pretty much made that shift ahead of everyone else...no? I suggested the Steelers make a shift like this as well during the playoffs. It’s why the Patriots (or a main reason) where successful. People don’t have the personnel to stop the backs rushing or catching the ball and they sprinkle in the short passing game to keep teams honest. Everybody is going CBs and speed to stop the pass and the Patriots are scheming against that. No need for a 4.2 WR like John Brown.

So I’d agree with your assessment.

Dwinsgames
02-20-2019, 03:41 PM
Many are not convinced Hockensen goes round 1 still ...

42nd in this mock ...

but all mocks are good till draft day including ours

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2019/01/17/2019-nfl-mock-draft-3-round-trades-kyler-murray-dwayne-haskins/4/

Born2Steel
02-20-2019, 11:09 PM

I love playing this game. AND your original picks are fine with me. If we end up with pick 13 and 20 I think I use 13 to get Greedy, Amani, DWhite, or Allen on defense. I agree the only player I want on offense that high is DK. At 20 I would add in any of the top3 TEs Fant/Hock/Irv. Defensively add in Chauncey, Mack, Deandre, or Quinnon/Clelin.
One guy that peaks my interest is OL Diehl(sp). Guy not only played every position on the OL but made all conference at every position on the OL. Wisc just churns out quality OL.

Mojouw
02-20-2019, 11:57 PM
I love playing this game. AND your original picks are fine with me. If we end up with pick 13 and 20 I think I use 13 to get Greedy, Amani, DWhite, or Allen on defense. I agree the only player I want on offense that high is DK. At 20 I would add in any of the top3 TEs Fant/Hock/Irv. Defensively add in Chauncey, Mack, Deandre, or Quinnon/Clelin.
One guy that peaks my interest is OL Diehl(sp). Guy not only played every position on the OL but made all conference at every position on the OL. Wisc just churns out quality OL.

Those are all solid picks. I don't like Fant because I see him as just Bucky Hodges or Devin Funchess 2.0. Not enough of a WR to function consistently split out along the boundary and not enough of a TE to really fill that role in a 1 TE set either. I think a player like that can be a potent weapon on offense, but in a first round pick I would prefer a guy that can really excel at a specific position. That being said, it is the trend in what is coming out of the NCAA at "TE" - guys that can run and catch but don't really function as in-line blockers. Honestly, the first offensive brain trust to determine how to maximize that type of TE prospect will get a leg up. At least until everyone copies it. Perhaps the way the Giants used Engram or how the Bucs use Howard can be a model? But for each of those we get players like Nojoku and Hodges that just can't seem to find a consistent and set role in an NFL offense.

Wisco is just going to keep churning out lineman because it is one of the few remaining big time NCAA schools that can offer guys a chance to come in and play o-line in a traditional non-spread style. I think we are going to keep seeing the emerging trend of a few big name schools supplying offensive lineman but increasingly second or third tier programs are going to be the source for guys that can play a more traditional style. The style of o-line that is played at air raid/spread/zone pass blocking schools has a poor track record of translating to the NFL. I think the Steelers do deserve some credit for looking for offensive lineman under every rock and tree. Fascinating to see whether or not their success with that model can continue under a new position coach regime.

teegre
02-21-2019, 06:47 AM
Let’s think logically about mojoUW’s plan.

First of all, most on here feel that the Steelers simply cannot draft anybody on defense. No one. “dog shit” as some have said. Yet, most on here feel that the Steelers are quite adept at drafting offensive players.

So... why not go all offense in the draft???

Then, use any/all free agency money on a CB (i.e. an established player).

Born2Steel
02-21-2019, 08:03 AM
Let’s think logically about mojoUW’s plan.

First of all, most on here feel that the Steelers simply cannot draft anybody on defense. No one. “dog shit” as some have said. Yet, most on here feel that the Steelers are quite adept at drafting offensive players.

So... why not go all offense in the draft???

Then, use any/all free agency money on a CB (i.e. an established player).

BINGO! Use the draft to get those game changers/game breakers and use FA to fill in defensive holes. Maybe you get a Burnett but you get a Hilton, Alualu, Bostic, or Haden as well. I mean unless the next Heyward/Watt/TP43 happens to be there at #20.

Players like Metcalf and Hockenson change the entire scheme for a defense. Add in either a Kamara/Sproles type or a Bettis type RB(readers choice) and this offense now had a new face and it’s maybe scarier than the ‘killer B’ face.