PDA

View Full Version : Times that Ben took the blame.

zulater
02-19-2019, 10:21 AM
There’s this idea, probably running in more national media circles but some of it local too, that Ben Roethlisberger never takes the blame. Every interview, every comment, is passing the buck onto someone else, calling them out, like the Wicked Witch of the West. And it seems to be Antonio Brown’s biggest issue with Roethlisberger, as noted in his Twitter Q&A this weekend.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/02/all-the-times-ben-roethlisberger-took-the-blame/?fbclid=IwAR3uQNDU2VPHuKMTAJRuiF75ctla3M1cSlS3K833 VoOsVdgr6wCWOPKPaiA

Iron Steeler
02-19-2019, 10:27 AM
Yes he does take accountability most times. Although he does throw names out there on specific plays. I think that is what people get mad about. The media does not need to know , that is something you confront the individual in the film room or practice.

FrancoLambert
02-19-2019, 10:55 AM
Yes he does take accountability most times. Although he does throw names out there on specific plays. I think that is what people get mad about. The media does not need to know , that is something you confront the individual in the film room or practice.

Or as the legendary 70’s team did, in the sauna.
A successful team needs accountability, but you don’t make it a public issue.
Keep the criticisms in house.
Yeah, I know, good luck with that...with the addiction to social media so prevalent.

zulater
02-19-2019, 11:07 AM

In Ben's 15 seasons I can only recall a handful of players he called out in the press. Before last season the only one I remember was Martavis Bryant who he called out several times for different reasons. Mostly related to a lack of focus. And it seemed to work in the short run with Bryant bringing up the level of his play.

This season he called out James Washington ( besides AB). Washington claims to have taken no offense and in fact made it a point to take more reps in practice with Ben and the other qb's. And again his level of play improved afterwards.

As far as AB goes. Prior to this season I have zero recollection of Ben publicly admonishing AB? If it happened please some one provide it. Anyway going on the premise this never happened before with AB what changed? My theory. AB. He took things to a new level this year with his diva like behavior. On and off the field and it started with his offseason antics in Florida. Then he came to camp and went AWOL for 5 days. Had his sideline meltdown and very public argument with coach Fitchner. Followed that up with another unexcused absence the following Monday. And who knows what else in the way of missed meetings and tardiness to practice? So perhaps Ben publicly lashed out at him this year because AB wasn't very accessible for Ben to communicate to in the normal ways? Obviously AB took great offense to being asked to run a hot route in practice several times. So maybe that was something that was an ongoing thing through the season. In other words Ben got frustrated with AB being aloof and in his own world and things weren't being properly communicated. So boom he got pissed and lashed out.

Makes more sense to me that something along those lines happened when you consider lack of precedent.

Dwinsgames
02-19-2019, 12:49 PM
In Ben's 15 seasons I can only recall a handful of players he called out in the press. Before last season the only one I remember was Martavis Bryant who he called out several times for different reasons. Mostly related to a lack of focus. And it seemed to work in the short run with Bryant bringing up the level of his play.

This season he called out James Washington ( besides AB). Washington claims to have taken no offense and in fact made it a point to take more reps in practice with Ben and the other qb's. And again his level of play improved afterwards.

As far as AB goes. Prior to this season I have zero recollection of Ben publicly admonishing AB? If it happened please some one provide it. Anyway going on the premise this never happened before with AB what changed? My theory. AB. He took things to a new level this year with his diva like behavior. On and off the field and it started with his offseason antics in Florida. Then he came to camp and went AWOL for 5 days. Had his sideline meltdown and very public argument with coach Fitchner. Followed that up with another unexcused absence the following Monday. And who knows what else in the way of missed meetings and tardiness to practice? So perhaps Ben publicly lashed out at him this year because AB wasn't very accessible for Ben to communicate to in the normal ways? Obviously AB took great offense to being asked to run a hot route in practice several times. So maybe that was something that was an ongoing thing through the season. In other words Ben got frustrated with AB being aloof and in his own world and things weren't being properly communicated. So boom he got pissed and lashed out.

Makes more sense to me that something along those lines happened when you consider lack of precedent.

you guys put to much pressure on him , pressure the pressure .... hold my beer I got to rent a chopper to get to training camp .... oh the pressure

DesertSteel
02-19-2019, 02:43 PM
In the Ben/AB debacle (leaving Tomlin and Rooney out of it), I'm going 80 on AB and 20 on Ben. Some would like to go 0 on Ben, but my instincts and observations won't go there. I'd hash out the reason for the 80/20 but frankly I'm sick of talking about players who don't want to be Steelers anymore.

teegre
02-20-2019, 06:44 AM
Shannon Sharpe’s reaction to this article is the epitome of myopic, narrow-minded journalism.

“But, what about after the Broncos game, when Ben called out AB???”

Oh wait. I meant: “Buth, whath abouth afther the Bronthos gamebb, whenbb Benth callebbed outh AB!?!”

Bluecoat96
02-20-2019, 08:06 AM
Shannon Sharpe’s reaction to this article is the epitome of myopic, narrow-minded journalism.

Oh wait. I meant: “Buth, whath abouth afther the Bronthos gamebb, whenbb Benth callebbed outh AB!?!”Good ol' mushmouthhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190220/bf29becd9b9c868e1aebfdfb01014de4.jpg

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Dwinsgames
02-20-2019, 09:47 AM

Oh wait. I meant: “Buth, whath abouth afther the Bronthos gamebb, whenbb Benth callebbed outh AB!?!”

to the bold ....

Journalism isn't what it used to be .....

it used to be carefully crafted words depicting a story that was based upon fact .....

now it has be reduced to barely coherent blithering idiocy and passed off as truth or fact based opinion ....

and we wonder why our nation is such a mess ...............

Dwinsgames
02-20-2019, 02:15 PM

stillers4me
02-20-2019, 03:55 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dz4S1PzWsAEYBcb.jpg:large

DesertSteel
02-21-2019, 09:24 AM
"He's got 52 kids" - Colbert is an idiot. These people are trying to drive our team into the ground. I do not trust Rooney, Colbert and Tomlin any further than I could throw them. It's embarrassing.

86WARD
02-21-2019, 11:00 AM
"He's got 52 kids" - Colbert is an idiot. These people are trying to drive our team into the ground. I do not trust Rooney, Colbert and Tomlin any further than I could throw them. It's embarrassing.

Upper Management (HC, GM, Ownership) is losing their mojo.

steel striker
02-21-2019, 11:30 AM
There have been plenty times that Ben has taken the blame even when it was not his doing. Now that pick he threw in the Denver was on him because, there was no way the Brown could have caught that pass.

Dwinsgames
02-21-2019, 11:47 AM
The standard Ben after loss interview 95% of the time is ....

I have to play better , just didnt get it done today , we had some chances and I was not able to get the ball to them and I made some mistakes with the football some throws I wish I had back ...

we have to play better today wasnt good enough and I take responsibility for that ....

once he even said ... Maybe I am not good enough anymore, maybe I lost it IDK

DesertSteel
02-21-2019, 12:39 PM
The standard Ben after loss interview 95% of the time is ....

I have to play better , just didnt get it done today , we had some chances and I was not able to get the ball to them and I made some mistakes with the football some throws I wish I had back ...

we have to play better today wasnt good enough and I take responsibility for that ....

once he even said ... Maybe I am not good enough anymore, maybe I lost it IDK
And that’s where a player needs to leave it in the media. It’s the 5% where he throws others under bus in the media that needs to stop. Colbert is an idiot for what he said.

AtlantaDan
02-21-2019, 12:48 PM

If anyone doubts that franchise QBs are at the top of the team food chain in in the NFL, this Colbert quote certainly settles if that is the case with the Steelers

IMO Tomlin should assemble the other players (aka Ben’s “kids”) and the coaching staff on Tuesday mornings during the upcoming regular season in order that the team can listen to Ben’s radio appearances together. That can be followed by a group discussion in which players and coaches can discuss which of the uniformly excellent points made by Ben during his radio appearance was the most excellent as well as whether Ben is a great NFL leader or the greatest NFL leader.

tube517
02-21-2019, 12:51 PM
If anyone doubts that franchise QBs are at the top of the team food chain in in the NFL, this Colbert quote certainly settles if that is the case with the Steelers

IMO Tomlin should assemble the other players and the coaching staff on Tuesday mornings during the upcoming regular season in order that the team can listen to Ben’s radio appearances together. That can be followed by a group discussion in which players and coaches can discuss which of the uniformly excellent points made by Ben during his radio appearance was the most excellent.

https://media.giphy.com/media/l46CDHTqbmnGZyxKo/giphy.gif :chuckle:

DesertSteel
02-21-2019, 12:52 PM

IMO Tomlin should assemble the other players and the coaching staff on Tuesday mornings during the upcoming regular season in order that the team can listen to Ben’s radio appearances together. That can be followed by a group discussion in which players and coaches can discuss which of the uniformly excellent points made by Ben during his radio appearance was the most excellent.
All 52 kids gathered around the radio listening. Gives me chills just thinking about it.

AtlantaDan
02-21-2019, 12:59 PM
All 52 kids gathered around the radio listening. Gives me chills just thinking about it.

LOL - would like to hear what players like Pouncey, DeCastro and Heyward think of Colbert describing them as Ben’s kids

Mojouw
02-21-2019, 12:59 PM
Ohhh!!! Fireside chats!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/dd/FDR-January-11-1944.jpg/351px-FDR-January-11-1944.jpg

Shoes
02-21-2019, 01:07 PM

Agreed, three peas in a pod. Ben is exhausted telling everyone he's the leader so Colbert took over that job. :chuckle:

DesertSteel
02-21-2019, 01:53 PM
LOL - would like to hear what players like Pouncey, DeCastro and Heyward think of Colbert describing them as Ben’s kids
I’m getting pretty close to firing myself as a Steeler’s fan. I’m not sure how much more I’m gonna take.

86WARD
02-21-2019, 02:47 PM
So Colbert is putting Ben on a pedestal above the rest of the team? Does anyone have that whole transcript?

If that’s the case and not out of context, we found one of the sources to the major problems...

Mojouw
02-21-2019, 03:37 PM
HOF caliber QBs entering their 15th year as a starter in the NFL have always and will always be placed higher than any other player on the roster.

Since the early 2000's the NFL has been a QB driven league. If you don't have one, the search for one overrides every single other roster consideration. If you have one, you do everything and anything to ensure their continued happiness, success, and longevity.

How are people just now realizing this? The Giants are on how many post Coughlin coaches and coordinators in an increasingly desperate bid to cater to a fading Eli Manning. Aaron Rodgers got a coach canned. Brady got his heir apparent shipped out of town. Cousins got 10 trucks full of money up front, and he isn't HOF good. The Seahawks backed Wilson when it tore apart their locker room. The Eagles have circled the wagons around Wentz in the face of "leadership" questions.

The Qb is the "face of the franchise" for a reason. It is all about them and management will choose the QB over other players in a heartbeat.

86WARD
02-21-2019, 03:46 PM
To play devils advocate, I haven’t seen many players take to twitter to defend Ben and circle the wagons around him the way the Eagles did for Wentz...

Ben should be places above, Colbert shouldn’t come out and call the rest of the team his kids though. Again, haven’t seen the whole transcript to know if TD out of context.

DesertSteel
02-21-2019, 04:00 PM
Saying “Ben is our leader” was enough. Saying he has the right to criticize other players was too much and calling the other 52 kids was moronic.

I’m starting at to think 6-10 is about where this team is headed. It’d be worth it to get rid of Tomlin/Colbert.

- - - Updated - - -

HOF caliber QBs entering their 15th year as a starter in the NFL have always and will always be placed higher than any other player on the roster.

Since the early 2000's the NFL has been a QB driven league. If you don't have one, the search for one overrides every single other roster consideration. If you have one, you do everything and anything to ensure their continued happiness, success, and longevity.

How are people just now realizing this? The Giants are on how many post Coughlin coaches and coordinators in an increasingly desperate bid to cater to a fading Eli Manning. Aaron Rodgers got a coach canned. Brady got his heir apparent shipped out of town. Cousins got 10 trucks full of money up front, and he isn't HOF good. The Seahawks backed Wilson when it tore apart their locker room. The Eagles have circled the wagons around Wentz in the face of "leadership" questions.

The Qb is the "face of the franchise" for a reason. It is all about them and management will choose the QB over other players in a heartbeat.
People aren’t just realizing it. It’s just stuff that a GM doesn’t say in the manner it was said.

Mojouw
02-21-2019, 04:46 PM
Man. You guys sure are delicate little flowers.

Bosses say stupid crap all the time.

Everyone plays favorites.

These are grown men we are talking about not high school kids or grade schoolers for that matter. If they don't realize they are in a mercenary business that could give two shits about their feelings or thoughts on almost any subject, then they need to put on their big boy pants.

On a Pro Football team, three opinions matter: Owner/GM, Head Coach, and Quarterback. Everyone else is viewed as cog in a machine. Cogs are replaceable.

vasteeler
02-21-2019, 04:58 PM

These are grown men we are talking about not high school kids or grade schoolers for that matter. If they don't realize they are in a mercenary business that could give two shits about their feelings or thoughts on almost any subject, then they need to put on their big boy pants.

On a Pro Football team, three opinions matter: Owner/GM, Head Coach, and Quarterback. Everyone else is viewed as cog in a machine. Cogs are replaceable.

As Joe Rogan would say...100%

AtlantaDan
02-21-2019, 04:59 PM

But my bet was Colbert was talking off a script to make his points that there will be no tag on Bell, Steelers (allegedly) will not give Mr Big Chest away, Dupree & Boswell will get a chance to hang around, and Ben is the Great Helmsman who will steer the team

If Colbert referred to the rest of the players as Ben’s kids and that Ben can say whatever he damn well pleases on the radio after drinking all evening with reporters at the combine next week that would be one thing - premeditated idiocy is quite another

Tony Kornheiser on PTI said with Bell & Brown gone the Steelers more than ever will be dependent on Ben and, knowing they cannot stop him from doing what he wants to say, might as well act as if they are giving him the green light to say anything since he is going to do it anyhow

pczach
02-21-2019, 05:04 PM
I don't like Colbert's "52 kids" comment either. However, I get everything else he said and the message he was trying to send.

I see it as Colbert saying there are a few young people in the locker room that want to do things their own way. Ben tries to talk to players and tell them that this is how it needs to be done. The young players blow off Ben, because they know better. It's really that simple.

When AB makes a mistake
in practice, and Ben wants to run the play again to get it right....run the fucking play again AB. AB can catch a million balls a day working on his craft by himself. Even if Ben makes more mistakes than him in practice, if the starting quarterback needs to run something again so the TEAM gets it right....it needs to be done. I don't give a shit how hard AB works on his craft. The team needs to work on things together. That's what a "team" does.

DesertSteel
02-21-2019, 05:31 PM

It’s the GM who’s saying they aren’t, not us. I have zero confidence in the trinity of Rooney, Colbert and Tomlin. Nothing delicate about that.

Mojouw
02-21-2019, 05:36 PM
I guess I can't figure out what was wrong with Colbert's admittedly stupid analogy. But this guy isn't a Harvard professor he's a lifelong football guy. Football guys basically talk in 3 metaphors: war, family, or program/way.

Colbert choose the family metaphor/analogy/whatever and placed Ben as the role of Pater Familias. He could've switched it to Ben being the General and telling his privates how it is gonna be, but I think avoiding putting Ben and privates in the same sentence is a sound move.

I mean if we are going to parse this out and make sure we consider everyone's extremely delicate feelings, what about the 11 guys on the practice squad and the handful of guys on IR that Colbert didn't even mention? I mean won't someone think of those guys? How are they going to be ready to contribute if it is clear the GM doesn't even consider them part of the team?

- - - Updated - - -

It’s the GM who’s saying they aren’t, not us. I have zero confidence in the trinity of Rooney, Colbert and Tomlin. Nothing delicate about that.

Oh. For fuck's sake. You can not be serious? Really?

Yes. Kevin Colbert believes that all but one of his football team's roster are small children.

This is a team that just when basically 9-7, missed the playoffs, is watching the engine that helps make the offense go melt down, still can't cover TEs down the seam, hasn' t met a 4-5 receiver set they can cover in 3 seasons, and the metaphor the GM chose is what you are going to use to divine why they didn't host a parade?

I mean if only Artie Burns thought Colbert viewed him as a man with his own valuable thoughts and ideas he would be an excellent man cover corner and not the clutch, grab, trip, and fall down nightmare he currently is.

AtlantaDan
02-21-2019, 05:48 PM
I guess I can't figure out what was wrong with Colbert's admittedly stupid analogy. But this guy isn't a Harvard professor he's a lifelong football guy. Football guys basically talk in 3 metaphors: war, family, or program/way.

Colbert choose the family metaphor/analogy/whatever and placed Ben as the role of Pater Familias. He could've switched it to Ben being the General and telling his privates how it is gonna be, but I think avoiding putting Ben and privates in the same sentence is a sound move.

I mean if we are going to parse this out and make sure we consider everyone's extremely delicate feelings, what about the 11 guys on the practice squad and the handful of guys on IR that Colbert didn't even mention? I mean won't someone think of those guys? How are they going to be ready to contribute if it is clear the GM doesn't even consider them part of the team?

Anytime you get someone in management saying the workplace is any sort of family the employees better hold on to their wallets - it’s a business and you are out of the family if the front office finds someone better or at least less expensive.

But at least go with the banal band of brothers nonsense with Ben as the older brother

It is not just a bad metaphor - the idea of someone who screwed up off the field as often as Ben did earlier in his career being some sort of father figure to players like DeCastro and Heyward is ludicrous and may indicate Colbert is pretty clueless about the locker room dynamics

But as I posted above, it more likely indicates we are down to one major egomaniac left on the team (a not uncommon occurrence with veteran franchise QBs) and Colbert knows that ego needs to be fed with the sort of premeditated pandering we got yesterday

Mojouw
02-21-2019, 05:53 PM
Anytime you get someone in management saying the workplace is any sort of family the employees better hold on to their wallets - it’s a business and you are out of the family if the front office finds someone better or at least less expensive.

But at least go with the banal band of brothers nonsense with Ben as the older brother

It is not just a bad metaphor - the idea of someone who screwed up off the field as often as Ben did earlier in his career being some sort of father figure to players like DeCastro and Heyward is ludicrous and may indicate Colbert is pretty clueless about the locker room dynamics

But as I posted above, it more likely indicates we are down to one major egomaniac left on the team (a not uncommon occurrence with veteran franchise QBs) and Colbert knows that ego needs to be fed with the sort of premeditated pandering we got yesterday

Yeah. I think that is pretty obvious. They are going to ride or die with the franchise QB. How would there be any other plan? Other than that Ravens team with a red-hot Flacco, who has even won a SB in the last what, decade and a half, without one?

And honestly if these morons can't stand a balky metaphor from the GM (a guy most of them see or talk to likely less than 3 teams in a year), they might need to move on with their life's work.

Once you accept that the franchise long ago hitched its wagon to Ben R over and above anyone else, this is just the definition of a tempest in a teapot. Honestly, once they didn't get rid of him after his ummm "incidents"...they made it pretty clear it is Ben and then everyone else.

DesertSteel
02-21-2019, 06:16 PM

Then you are entirely diluted with your own philosophical wisdom.

Oh. For fuck's sake. You can not be serious? Really?

Yeah I’m dead serious. They are the three stooges.

I wish those three would move on with their life’s work.

- - - Updated - - -

Amen brother!

Mojouw
02-21-2019, 06:23 PM
Then you are entirely diluted with your own philosophical wisdom.

Yeah I’m dead serious. They are the three stooges.

I wish those three would move on with their life’s work.

- - - Updated - - -

Amen brother!

Ok. Find me quotes from football coaches or GMs that don't fall back on war, family, or program when they are casting about for a way to talk about their team. Mike Leach is teaching an entire nonsense class at whatever school he is at now about football as war. Lots of nonsense about Sun Tsu and whatnot.

But we can leave all that cliched nonsense aside for a moment. WTF does any of it have to do with winning football games? I'm willing to bet a great deal of $$ that like 5 years ago we would've NEVER even heard about this quote because no one would've been around to Tweet it and have it go "viral".

I'm on record as saying that I strongly suspect Ben is a mediocre leader at best. I also am not a fan of him as a human being. So what. How is anyone shocked or surprised or angered or whatever that Colbert has doubled down on backing the guy he has paid obscene amounts of money to, built the offense to cater to, and is almost certain to sign to a massive $$$ extension any day now.

This is a water is wet, sky is blue, dogs like meat, kinda story.

DesertSteel
02-21-2019, 06:31 PM
Sigh. You can make a brown bag of poop sound like a bag of pearls.

What Colbert needed to do was tell Ben to cancel his radio show instead of empowering him to continue his ways of throwing teammates under the bus. But the stupidest comment was saying Ben is the leader/father figure and all the other 52 were kids.

I’ve ran a couple large organizations, in both the corporate and non-profit sectors. What the Steelers are doing doesn’t in any way resemble leadership.

Mojouw
02-21-2019, 06:58 PM
This argument is like a thousand years old around here.

People want honest answers to questions that provide details and insight into team plans and strategies. Tomlin is derided as an arrogant cool shades poker player with nothing but a slick book of cliches because he has basically mastered the art of not saying anything to 80% of questions.

Ben tends to give dramatic and detailed answers to anyone with a microphone. That is also not good.

So which is it? Want the detailed scoop? The cliched non-answers? Or is it just whatever makes you feel good in the moment?

It is totally possible what the Steelers are doing right now is the path to ruin. But to look at it and be like "Wow! This is an unexpected series of responses!" is kinda ridiculous. These guys only know about 3 ways to respond to things. Colbert just mashed "button 1" in his brain and this is what came out.

Shoes
02-21-2019, 08:12 PM
Times that Tomlin took the blame.

:chuckle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olfg9KK_bmE

86WARD
02-22-2019, 04:58 AM
So a major problem with this teams culture is starting at the head. Colbert’s view on this team and the “culture” that he’s creating isn’t an acceptable culture. He’s taking one player and putting them above the other 52 with those comments. It’s meet what he’s trying to say, but the way it’s phrased, especially at this point in this teams history, its one of the more moronic things this organization has seen.

“52 kids”? With how sensitive these NFL players are nowadays, try to tell me that’s not going to rub, at the very least, a handful of guys the wrong way. Colbert did nothing to help,any kind of situation that’s happening in that locker room with that stupid comment.

If I look at that as Colbert putting Ben above the rest of the team (and an ownership mentality), then so do some of the players.

Villanueva, served time in Afghanistan...he’s no fucking kid...lol.

teegre
02-22-2019, 06:38 AM
I saw Ben buying 52 car seats. Literally. :jerkit:

DesertSteel
02-22-2019, 07:36 AM
I’m literally expecting some see some cool photoshops and memes with Ben and his 52 kids.

86WARD
02-22-2019, 07:56 AM

Lol.

Harrison saying he’d feel some kind of way with Colbert’s comment...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001018602/article/harrison-tomlin-must-take-charge-of-steelers-drama

I know people hate him around here but he’s speaking from a player from that locker room. Not many people would know better than he would.

vader29
02-22-2019, 08:10 AM

I’m literally expecting some see some cool photoshops and memes with Ben and his 52 kids.

He only needed to buy 51 as they already had one for AB.

https://i.ibb.co/yfFBbxs/abcarseat.jpg

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-22-2019, 08:29 AM
Looks like Colbert likes to put a #7 jersey on a blow up doll, when nobody is around.......just like some of the posters on this forum.

DesertSteel
02-22-2019, 09:01 AM
Short of a trip to the AFCCG, I hope this is Ben’s last year, as well as Tomlin. I’d rather have a 6-10 team that I can feel good about than this embarrassing mess.

zulater
02-22-2019, 09:24 AM
Short of a trip to the AFCCG, I hope this is Ben’s last year, as well as Tomlin. I’d rather have a 6-10 team that I can feel good about than this embarrassing mess.

I can't wait until the season starts. A pissed off Ben is a dangerous Ben. Last time he had a really good "mad-on" on was 2010 when he felt he was done wrong by Goodell and the press. And if Mendenhall doesn't fumble or a back up center doesn't hold in the end zone we could have won a SB. Watch Ben's interceptions go down without Mr freelance running him into 8-10 of them. Yeah the passing yards will probably go down. But that will be a good thing. We lost proper offensive balance last season. We need to shore up the back up rb position and let things happen. Anyway Ben hasn't said a fucking word since the season ended. I think he's taking names and will be looking to shove it up his detractors ass with his play.

And some of you wonder why Bradshaw was so quick to disown Pittsburgh and Steeler nation when he was done playing? If I were Ben I would probably do the same. People think playing qb is so damn easy. Always comparing Ben to Brady and Brees. Forgetting how many talented players fall short. 1st overall picks like Matt Stafford, Jameis Willis. Sam Bradford, Cam Newton, Carson Palmer, and Alex Smith. Not a SB win among them. That's not even mentioning compete busts like Jamarcus Russell, Tim Couch, and David Carr.

So you go ahead and wish for him to away. I knew Dolphin fans that felt the same way about Marino while he was still in his prime. Good chance after Ben leaves we get our share of Ryan Tannehill type talents. That should please the ignorant masses. :coffee:

DesertSteel
02-22-2019, 09:32 AM
I can't wait until the season starts. A pissed off Ben is a dangerous Ben. Last time he had a really good "mad-on" on was 2010 when he felt he was done wrong by Goodell and the press. And if Mendenhall doesn't fumble or a back up center doesn't hold in the end zone we could have won a SB. Watch Ben's interceptions go down without Mr freelance running him into 8-10 of them. Yeah the passing yards will probably go down. But that will be a good thing. We lost proper offensive balance last season. We need to shore up the back up rb position and let things happen. Anyway Ben hasn't said a fucking word since the season ended. I think he's taking names and will be looking to shove it up his detractors ass with his play.

And some of you wonder why Bradshaw was so quick to disown Pittsburgh and Steeler nation when he was done playing? If I were Ben I would probably do the same. People think playing qb is so damn easy. Always comparing Ben to Brady and Brees. Forgetting how many talented players fall short. 1st overall picks like Matt Stafford, Jameis Willis. Sam Bradford, Cam Newton, Carson Palmer, and Alex Smith. Not a SB win among them. That's not even mentioning compete busts like Jamarcus Russell, Tim Couch, and David Carr.

So you go ahead and wish for him to away. I knew Dolphin fans that felt the same way about Marino while he was still in his prime. Good chance after Ben leaves we get our share of Ryan Tannehill type talents. That should please the ignorant masses. :coffee:
Thanks for the well wishes. I'm 56 and have been a Steelers fan since 1972. I think I can manage a few seasons of rebuilding.

zulater
02-22-2019, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the well wishes. I'm 56 and have been a Steelers fan since 1972. I think I can manage a few seasons of rebuilding.

I'm 58 and remember talented Steeler teams rotting on the vine for lack of quality qb play. I think the 92-97 Steelers were more talented than any team Ben ever played on. And all those great players, Woodson, Lloyd, Steed, Lake, Chad Brown, LeVon Kirkland, Kevin Greene, Eric Greene, Faneca, Thigpen, Dirt Dawson, and what did that get us?

Dwinsgames
02-22-2019, 09:51 AM
@zulater @dessertsteel ... it has just become abundantly clear to me that WE ( myself included ) are just a bunch of grumpy old men LOL

DesertSteel
02-22-2019, 10:07 AM
I'm 58 and remember talented Steeler teams rotting on the vine for lack of quality qb play. I think the 92-97 Steelers were more talented than any team Ben ever played on. And all those great players, Woodson, Lloyd, Steed, Lake, Chad Brown, LeVon Kirkland, Kevin Greene, Eric Greene, Faneca, Thigpen, Dirt Dawson, and what did that get us?
The same thing this team has gotten for the past 10 years. Other than they did get to to the Super Bowl with Neil.

My feelings, right or wrong, are that if this team is just going to continue the trend it's on, I'd rather start the rebuild now, or soon. I'm just fed up with every sports outlet ridiculing the Steelers every day, including many ex-Steeler players. If they aren't going to win anything, it's just not worth it.

- - - Updated - - -

@zulater @dessertsteel ... it has just become abundantly clear to me that WE ( myself included ) are just a bunch of grumpy old me LOL
True dat

86WARD
02-22-2019, 10:29 AM

LMAO ... that’s the greatest!! Tomlin outside the window is the best!

86WARD
02-22-2019, 10:38 AM
So looking at the roster, Ben is 36 on his way to 37 in 2019. Foster is 4 years younger. Ben has 15 seasons. Foster 10. Ben literally has played 50% more than the next closest player in the roster.

In a way, Colbert is right. Ben is literally playing with younger kids. He could theoretically be Terrell Edmunds Dad...lol. There’s only 7 other players over the age of 30.

Mojouw
02-22-2019, 11:10 AM
So looking at the roster, Ben is 36 on his way to 37 in 2019. Foster is 4 years younger. Ben has 15 seasons. Foster 10. Ben literally has played 50% more than the next closest player in the roster.

In a way, Colbert is right. Ben is literally playing with younger kids. He could theoretically be Terrell Edmunds Dad...lol. There’s only 7 other players over the age of 30.

Finally. Someone gets the point that was being made - however badly. There are like 4 guys in that locker room that actually know what it takes to succeed long term in the NFL. Pouncey, Foster, Haden, and Ben. Of that group I think only Pouncey and Ben have ever won anything.

I came across some pulls from steelers related twitter last night and many were hilarious. Posting other NFL players and coaches calling teammates kids and a variety of other things that support the idea that fans and the media reaction force care far far far far far more about this than players do.

Shoes
02-22-2019, 01:10 PM

Post of the month! :toofunny:

Shoes
02-22-2019, 01:17 PM
LMAO ... that’s the greatest!! Tomlin outside the window is the best!

It's close, the one with AJRII in a burning room saying there are no problems and a picture of Danny Smith chewing gum framed on the wall is pretty good also. :lol:

86WARD
02-22-2019, 01:20 PM
I think you could add DeCastro to that list of players.

zulater
02-22-2019, 01:23 PM
I think you could add DeCastro to that list of players.

AV too. He's got more man cred than anyone in the league.

FrancoLambert
02-22-2019, 01:37 PM
Finally. Someone gets the point that was being made - however badly. There are like 4 guys in that locker room that actually know what it takes to succeed long term in the NFL. Pouncey, Foster, Haden, and Ben. Of that group I think only Pouncey and Ben have ever won anything.

I came across some pulls from steelers related twitter last night and many were hilarious. Posting other NFL players and coaches calling teammates kids and a variety of other things that support the idea that fans and the media reaction force care far far far far far more about this than players do.

As posted above, omitting DeCastro, AV, and Heyward from the group that knows how to succeed without the benefit of Ben’s inherent wisdom is way off the mark.

Especially AV. Despite his short tenure here, I’d bet his life experience puts him at the forefront of what it takes to be successful in ANY walk of life.

Mojouw
02-22-2019, 01:52 PM
As posted above, omitting DeCastro, AV, and Heyward from the group that knows how to succeed without the benefit of Ben’s inherent wisdom is way off the mark.

Especially AV. Despite his short tenure here, I’d bet his life experience puts him at the forefront of what it takes to be successful in ANY walk of life.

While they are great football players and better human beings, they've never made a SB run. Which appears to be what Colbert was talking about.

It was a dumb metaphor. One of multitude in pro sports. It also isn't a big deal.

pczach
02-22-2019, 02:55 PM
Looks like Colbert likes to put a #7 jersey on a blow up doll, when nobody is around.......just like some of the posters on this forum.

Maybe you're confusing Colbert with Robert Kraft.....

86WARD
02-22-2019, 02:56 PM
Maybe you're confusing Colbert with Robert Kraft.....

Lol. Didn’t take long...

(That’s what she said)

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-22-2019, 03:25 PM
Lol. Didn’t take long...

(That’s what she said)

Apparently the rate at the place Kraft was at is $59.00 for 30 minute massage and a happy ending. :rofl:

pczach
02-22-2019, 05:04 PM
Apparently the rate at the place Kraft was at is $59.00 for 30 minute massage and a happy ending. :rofl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY3TxtYp5pk

hawaiiansteeler
02-22-2019, 11:18 PM

https://i.imgur.com/0Knv5re.jpg