PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Brown makes it clear he wants new team, guaranteed money

vader29
02-19-2019, 06:43 AM
Antonio Brown has taken his quest to move to a new team to a machine that always remains in place.

The Steelers receiver published a video on Monday while doing cardio on an elliptical device. And he made three things clear during the session.

First, he wants any interested team to call him. (That, of course, would be tampering if any team does that.) Second, he wants guaranteed money, something he currently doesn’t have. (And, yes, he claimed over the weekend that his quest for a new team isn’t about money.)

Brown also hints at one point that he may be done with pro football.

Read More: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/19/antonio-brown-makes-it-clear-he-wants-new-team-guaranteed-money/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTNMC7Zw4y8

teegre
02-19-2019, 06:49 AM
At least he’s (finally) being honest... it’s all about MONEY.

DesertSteel
02-19-2019, 07:34 AM
I never thought I’d say this, but I’d rather have Le’Veon Bell back on the Steelers than AB.

Mojouw
02-19-2019, 08:10 AM
At least he’s (finally) being honest... it’s all about MONEY.

Called it! I told you all this was about guaranteed cash money. Rest is just window dressing.

AtlantaDan
02-19-2019, 08:12 AM
I never thought I’d say this, but I’d rather have Le’Veon Bell back on the Steelers than AB.

Agreed - who knew Bell would end up looking more rational in his dispute since Bell gets the part that before hitting free agency to shop yourself for a new contract you have to play out your current contract

Would be interesting to know how much input AB’s agent Rosenhaus has in these multimedia trolling actions

Interesting perspective here

It’s pretty clear that a lot of NFL players follow what’s happening with their basketball peers. And sure makes you wonder if Antonio Brown’s wildcat strike of the last two months might be the tip of the iceberg in star players trying mimic what’s happening in the NBA and take greater control of their careers.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/02/18/nfl-franchise-tag-free-agency-demarcus-lawrence-dee-ford-earl-thomas-sean-mcvay-rams-coaching-staff

NCSteeler
02-19-2019, 08:43 AM
He has basically set us up to not be able to trade him in hopes that we actually cut him. He is a total clown show at this point and no team is going to give up much to aquire a head case no mater how good he is. And then on top of that be stuck with a loud mouth that's wants a new deal and all guarantee money, raise your had if you think this clown plays better with no money on the line.

I hope they keep him and torture him with benching him game one then throws a fit and fines for being ass. And suspend him.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

86WARD
02-19-2019, 08:56 AM
If they just outright cut him, I would be so angry and lose so much respect for the Rooney’s.

AtlantaDan
02-19-2019, 09:11 AM
If they just outright cut him, I would be so angry and lose so much respect for the Rooney’s.

They take the same cap hit whether they release him or trade him

They will sit him for the year and recover his salary on a weekly basis if he fails to report before they release him - question is what the floor is on the lowest draft pick they will accept in a trade

Born2Steel
02-19-2019, 09:24 AM
There has to be a line that the FO must not cross. What I mean is players can only exert so much control when still under contract. The Rooneys have always maintained an open door for players to come to them directly. AB has put himself into a very unique situation in that he may be the first Steeler player that gets put in the timeout corner. I don’t know how you allow him to be traded, while at the same time how do you not trade him. The FO may need to force AB to conform to a rational level of professionalism before trade talks even start or he is allowed back into the facility. I don’t know what can be done per the CBA but there needs to be some value and damage control available to the Steelers.

Mojouw
02-19-2019, 09:35 AM
Agreed - who knew Bell would end up looking more rational in his dispute since Bell gets the part that before hitting free agency to shop yourself for a new contract you have to play out your current contract

Would be interesting to know how much input AB’s agent Rosenhaus has in these multimedia trolling actions

Interesting perspective here

It’s pretty clear that a lot of NFL players follow what’s happening with their basketball peers. And sure makes you wonder if Antonio Brown’s wildcat strike of the last two months might be the tip of the iceberg in star players trying mimic what’s happening in the NBA and take greater control of their careers.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/02/18/nfl-franchise-tag-free-agency-demarcus-lawrence-dee-ford-earl-thomas-sean-mcvay-rams-coaching-staff

I think you’ve hit on what this is. NFL stars want the same financial security in terms of guaranteed contracts and influence on roster/trades that NBA stars currently have. For a variety of reasons, AB has zero shot of having either of those in Pittsburgh. I think he’s out to lunch if he thinks there is anywhere in the NFL he can get NBA style treatment. I mean it appears the HGiants are serious about trading OBJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AtlantaDan
02-19-2019, 09:45 AM
There has to be a line that the FO must not cross. What I mean is players can only exert so much control when still under contract. The Rooneys have always maintained an open door for players to come to them directly. AB has put himself into a very unique situation in that he may be the first Steeler player that gets put in the timeout corner. I don’t know how you allow him to be traded, while at the same time how do you not trade him. The FO may need to force AB to conform to a rational level of professionalism before trade talks even start or he is allowed back into the facility. I don’t know what can be done per the CBA but there needs to be some value and damage control available to the Steelers.

Way back in the day the Steelers had a very good LB, Mike Merriweather, who did not like his contract and failed to report for the 1988 season. Steelers had Merriweather sit out the entire season before trading him to the Vikings for a first round pick in 1989.

https://stillcurtain.com/2012/07/28/17-of-steelers-should-view-merriweather-as-cautionary-tale/

Dwinsgames
02-19-2019, 09:50 AM
this is AB's version of driveway pushups .....

the major difference is T.O. could at least string together a complete sentence .

AB can not string a complete thought without interrupting himself

Born2Steel
02-19-2019, 09:52 AM
Way back in the day the Steelers had a very good LB, Mike Merriweather, who did not like his contract and failed to report for the 1988 season. Steelers had Merriweather sit out the entire season before trading him to the Vikings for a first round pick in 1989.

https://stillcurtain.com/2012/07/28/17-of-steelers-should-view-merriweather-as-cautionary-tale/

Then I take that back. AB should be the 2nd Steelers player put in the timeout corner.

Fire Goodell
02-19-2019, 10:01 AM
Give me a Hines Ward type of player over this guy any day. At this point I don't care what they do with him

AtlantaDan
02-19-2019, 10:02 AM
Then I take that back. AB should be the 2nd Steelers player put in the timeout corner.

I noted that only because a recurring contention is that AJRII should try to do with AB what Dan Rooney presumably would have done.

In addition to being patient Dan Rooney could bring down the hammer when necessary (firing your brother as the head of scouting in the mid-80s is about as cold as it can get). AJRII was involved with the team and no doubt remembers that Dan Rooney would not sign off on giving away Merriweather for less than fair value and was willing to wait a season to get that value.

Interesting parallels with the 1988 season where the Steelers had one of their best players try to force his way to a better deal and the owner considered firing the head coach who was almost a decade removed from Super Bowl glory days.

Born2Steel
02-19-2019, 10:20 AM
I noted that only because a recurring contention is that AJRII should try to do with AB what Dan Rooney presumably would have done.

In addition to being patient Dan Rooney could bring down the hammer when necessary (firing your brother as the head of scouting in the mid-80s is about as cold as it can get). AJRII was involved with the team and no doubt remembers that Dan Rooney would not sign off on giving away Merriweather for less than fair value and was willing to wait a season to get that value.

Interesting parallels with the 1988 season where the Steelers had one of their best players try to force his way to a better deal and the owner considered firing the head coach who was almost a decade removed from Super Bowl glory days.

And I appreciate the history lesson. I think that is the same tack that should be taken in AB’s case. He seems to want to destroy his trade value while demanding to be traded, yet unwilling to talk with the people that would facilitate any trade.
From what I can understand is the team can fine him his game check as well as suspend him for up to 4 weeks. Once he comes back from that, suspend him again for his next infraction however small for the full amount again. And so on until he either retires or makes apologies and grows up.

86WARD
02-19-2019, 11:15 AM
They take the same cap hit whether they release him or trade him

They will sit him for the year and recover his salary on a weekly basis if he fails to report before they release him - question is what the floor is on the lowest draft pick they will accept in a trade

I’m not worried about the cap. To have that talent on your roster and remove that with out anything to show for it is just stupid. You keep him on the roster or you keep the rights to him until something wows you. If not, then you don’t just release it.

Rotorhead
02-19-2019, 11:54 AM
I’m not worried about the cap. To have that talent on your roster and remove that with out anything to show for it is just stupid. You keep him on the roster or you keep the rights to him until something wows you. If not, then you don’t just release it.

I agree, he is tanking any value we can get for him, I would let his agent know he won’t be traded for less than a first, so if he keeps this jackassery up and tanks his trade value, he won’t be traded and will be suspended for conduct detrimental (as well as his pay) until he grows up. Let his stats disappear and his playing years dwindle away.

NCSteeler
02-19-2019, 12:10 PM

Interesting parallels with the 1988 season where the Steelers had one of their best players try to force his way to a better deal and the owner considered firing the head coach who was almost a decade removed from Super Bowl glory days.Problem is waiting a year on a 30 yo WR is not gaining value. But I think it's the right thing to do if you can't get a high second or a combo of picks

steelreserve
02-19-2019, 12:37 PM
The minute you sign a restructure, the entire contract is effectively guaranteed except for the last year, you fuckin' idiot.

Doing that makes it nearly impossible to cut a player before he is in the last season. For that matter, it also makes it almost impossible to trade him.

"I'll take 'Things you should've thought of beforehand' for $400, Alex."

As mentioned before, unless we get an absolute killer offer (starting player AND first-round pick, or two first-round picks), by far the best move for us is to do nothing; if he sits out the season, that is actually far better for us from a salary cap perspective, and if he plays, that's better from a football perspective for the same cap hit. Accepting anything less than a home run trade offer is just cutting off our nose to spite our face.

Shoes
02-19-2019, 01:13 PM
What a sad, sad case.

AtlantaDan
02-19-2019, 01:25 PM
What a sad, sad case.

Story in Post-Gazette reviewing Mr. Big Chest’s tweets and Instagram posts over the past several days describes it well

It was, somehow, both banal and deeply strange

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/sean-gentille/2019/02/19/antonio-brown-instagram-art-rooney-meeting/stories/201902190087

86WARD
02-19-2019, 01:40 PM
Rooney’s are going to give him up for nothing...

Dwinsgames
02-19-2019, 01:43 PM
Rooney’s are going to give him up for nothing...

I do not believe that ...

I believe they will have an internal discussion on the date they want him moved by and they will take the best offer that comes in right up until that date UNLESS somebody whoos them during the combine with an offer and they accept it in principle until such time as the deal can be finalized

AtlantaDan
02-19-2019, 02:03 PM
Problem is waiting a year on a 30 yo WR is not gaining value. But I think it's the right thing to do if you can't get a high second or a combo of picks

Agreed they do not want this to be cost free for Big Chest if they cannot get decent value in a trade

This is Blount and Harrison force you to let me go conduct on steroids. Steelers need to stop it from recurring regardless of how it is regarded in the locker room

It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both. - Niccolo Machiavelli

86WARD
02-20-2019, 08:58 AM
I do not believe that ...

I believe they will have an internal discussion on the date they want him moved by and they will take the best offer that comes in right up until that date UNLESS somebody whoos them during the combine with an offer and they accept it in principle until such time as the deal can be finalized

That’s a problem. Why set a date? The free agent market for WRs is crap. They hold the best thing out there. Take the time to get proper value for him. Who cares how long it takes? He will bring in more production in 4 years than probably 94% of all first round picks. Any team that spends a first round pick on a rookie WR over AB should lose their 2020 first round pick...lol.

fansince'76
02-20-2019, 08:59 AM
Yeah, well, I "want" plenty of things. Doesn't mean I'm going to get them...

Dwinsgames
02-20-2019, 09:10 AM
That’s a problem. Why set a date? The free agent market for WRs is crap. They hold the best thing out there. Take the time to get proper value for him. Who cares how long it takes? He will bring in more production in 4 years than probably 94% of all first round picks. Any team that spends a first round pick on a rookie WR over AB should lose their 2020 first round pick...lol.

IMO they are not going to want to spend that extra 2.5 million roster bonus on a guy who will not be on the roster ...

steelreserve
02-20-2019, 10:59 AM
IMO they are not going to want to spend that extra 2.5 million roster bonus on a guy who will not be on the roster ...

Brown stays on the roster and we pay him the roster bonus ... Brown holds out and gives up his $15M salary ... we win that battle from.a salary cap standpoint and every way else. Probably can get the roster bonus back too if he simply refuses to show up.