PDA

View Full Version : FA John Brown!

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
02-17-2019, 08:38 AM
I think he will be a huge pick up for the Steelers. The Steelers 2018 offense lacked a speddy deep threat and Brown fits that perfectly. If they acquire him no need to draft a wr in early rds or at all. Then if the Steelers get a 1 pick for AB, use one of their 1 picks to get a top TE in the coming draft. 3rd or 4th rd get a rb to go with Conner & Samuels. If these moves are done I believe this offense will be even better then when all the killer B's was on the field together. If the Steelers don't get Brown, Then they will need to draft a speedy wr in the early rds.

PS. sorry for another Brown post!

Hound
02-17-2019, 10:30 AM
Steelers need a field stretcher and there is not a lot of them in free agency. I would be happy with John Brown as a Steelers

86WARD
02-17-2019, 10:50 AM
If JB were added, I think it’s a bigger move with AB on the roster. I don’t think he’d have even close to the impact without AB around. Would still be a good signing but with AB on the roster it would be a great signing.

Edman
02-17-2019, 12:57 PM
The Offense never reached its full potential even with Bell and Brown, downgrade the talent and we're left with something worse.

st33lersguy
02-17-2019, 02:17 PM
Id be for it. Didn't he attend college in the Pittsburgh area

hawaiiansteeler
02-17-2019, 02:31 PM
Id be for it. Didn't he attend college in the Pittsburgh area

yes, he attended Pittsburgh State Univ

Mojouw
02-17-2019, 02:48 PM
Here is the thing with Brown. He has rarely been healthy. And he has only once caught more than 50% of his targets. For most of his career he has been hovering around Sammie Coates catch %. Now, I don't watch a ton of Cardinals games, so maybe it is more QB play than Brown dropping passes. But something to think about.

Also, and this is just me being a jerk, but he isn't exactly a quite citizen. And drama seems to be the biggest concern for some -- http://arizonasports.com/story/1711301/former-cardinals-receiver-john-brown-fed-up-in-final-season-in-arizona/ -- basically said he didn't like the situation in Arizona so he just checked out for a whole year.

hawaiiansteeler
02-17-2019, 02:52 PM
Here is the thing with Brown. He has rarely been healthy. And he has only once caught more than 50% of his targets. For most of his career he has been hovering around Sammie Coates catch %. Now, I don't watch a ton of Cardinals games, so maybe it is more QB play than Brown dropping passes. But something to think about.

Also, and this is just me being a jerk, but he isn't exactly a quite citizen. And drama seems to be the biggest concern for some -- http://arizonasports.com/story/1711301/former-cardinals-receiver-john-brown-fed-up-in-final-season-in-arizona/ -- basically said he didn't like the situation in Arizona so he just checked out for a whole year.

ever watch any Ravens games? :wink02:

Hound
02-17-2019, 03:05 PM
The thing is, if AB is traded the Steelers will need a field stretcher or JuJu is going to get bracket coverage. I’d take John Brown over DHB or Hunter. Not seeing to many teams worrying about DHB or Hunter. The question is, if not John Brown then who? Who is a realistic option for the Steelers to add to the WR core if AB is delt. Golden Tate is a slot guy, we already have an abundance of them.

Mojouw
02-17-2019, 03:26 PM

Yup . And Brown looked like a guy who runs really fast in a straight line and that's about it.

As to the other valid questions about stretching the field, wasn't that what the spent a high draft pick on James Washington to do?

I don't think that adding Brown would be any detriment to the roster, but I also don't think he is really all that good.

hawaiiansteeler
02-17-2019, 03:38 PM
Yup . And Brown looked like a guy who runs really fast in a straight line and that's about it.

As to the other valid questions about stretching the field, wasn't that what the spent a high draft pick on James Washington to do?

I don't think that adding Brown would be any detriment to the roster, but I also don't think he is really all that good.

John Brown runs in the 4.3s, James Washington in the 4.5s. can't really compare their straight line speed...

Hound
02-17-2019, 03:40 PM
Unfortunately Washington hasn’t shown enough yet during his rookie year, unless you think he has. No one is saying John Brown is a number one, but he would be a significant upgrade over DHB and Hunter. If AB goes, you can’t count on JuJu getting doubled.

Hound
02-17-2019, 03:45 PM
Can count on JuJu getting doubled

hawaiiansteeler
02-17-2019, 03:54 PM
Can count on JuJu getting doubled

if the season ending game against the weak Bengals pass defense is any indication, JuJu was doubled most of the game and ended up with 5 catches for 37 yards a 1 TD.

Hound
02-17-2019, 04:04 PM
Yep, probably want some speed across from him to keep the safeties honest. I’m up for whoever works, but I already know DHB and Hunter aren’t it

Dwinsgames
02-17-2019, 04:07 PM
yes, he attended Pittsburgh State Univ

but that is in Pittsburg Kansas

hawaiiansteeler
02-17-2019, 04:14 PM
but that is in Pittsburg Kansas

lol didn't know that.

Pittsburg State being in Kansas makes sense though :crazy:

Dwinsgames
02-17-2019, 04:20 PM
lol didn't know that.

Pittsburg State being in Kansas makes sense though :crazy:

I am sure you are not alone lol

Mojouw
02-17-2019, 04:23 PM
John Brown runs in the 4.3s, James Washington in the 4.5s. can't really compare their straight line speed...

Unfortunately Washington hasn’t shown enough yet during his rookie year, unless you think he has. No one is saying John Brown is a number one, but he would be a significant upgrade over DHB and Hunter. If AB goes, you can’t count on JuJu getting doubled.

I understand that Brown is faster. He is also smaller. Washington was billed, when drafted, as the fastest player in pads at the Senior Bowl, a tremendous catcher of the ball, and a guy who could impact deep down the field. Now, he has shown almost none of that during his rookie year. Apparently he's really good in practice, but he isn't good on the field. Now, Brown comes with his own issues, primarily that he doesn't catch about 50-60% of the passes thrown in his direction.

So that leaves you with Juju as the #1. Washington as the #2. Switzer and a resigned Rogers as the slot guys. Where do you play a "one trick pony" like Brown? If you pencil him as the #4/Deep Threat -- then every time he steps on the field, teams will know what's going to happen. We've seen with Bryant (when he wasn't good) and the struggles of Coates and Washington that unless teams feel that you are a threat to run more than a "Go" or "Post" route -- you are pretty easy to defend.

I think that Hunter needs to go. And DHB should be pushed for his roster spot (which might have to be pried from his cold dead hands). If AB and Hunter go away, then you have two WR spots to fill. I guess John Brown is as good as anybody for one of them. But you are looking at a need for a top 70 pick for the other spot.

Honestly, I guess it is that I strongly believe you can always find guys in the draft that can run a 4.3 and sometimes catch the ball. At this point in his career, John Brown is what he is. I would rather role the dice on the kid from Nowhere State in the 5th round that can fly.

Dwinsgames
02-17-2019, 04:37 PM
I understand that Brown is faster. He is also smaller. Washington was billed, when drafted, as the fastest player in pads at the Senior Bowl, a tremendous catcher of the ball, and a guy who could impact deep down the field. Now, he has shown almost none of that during his rookie year. Apparently he's really good in practice, but he isn't good on the field. Now, Brown comes with his own issues, primarily that he doesn't catch about 50-60% of the passes thrown in his direction.

So that leaves you with Juju as the #1. Washington as the #2. Switzer and a resigned Rogers as the slot guys. Where do you play a "one trick pony" like Brown? If you pencil him as the #4/Deep Threat -- then every time he steps on the field, teams will know what's going to happen. We've seen with Bryant (when he wasn't good) and the struggles of Coates and Washington that unless teams feel that you are a threat to run more than a "Go" or "Post" route -- you are pretty easy to defend.

I think that Hunter needs to go. And DHB should be pushed for his roster spot (which might have to be pried from his cold dead hands). If AB and Hunter go away, then you have two WR spots to fill. I guess John Brown is as good as anybody for one of them. But you are looking at a need for a top 70 pick for the other spot.

Honestly, I guess it is that I strongly believe you can always find guys in the draft that can run a 4.3 and sometimes catch the ball. At this point in his career, John Brown is what he is. I would rather role the dice on the kid from Nowhere State in the 5th round that can fly.

Brown is explosive .............

but he is unreliable both as a pass catcher and in the availability department , like many of these speed demons he has issues staying on the field .

I still like him , but not enough to put all my chips in his basket ... would have to be ( cap friendly ) and be accompanied with a draft pick as insurance with Hunter and DHB gone

he seemingly got less reliable in Baltimore than in Arizona with Palmer at QB so I guess some of that may be attributed to Moonball joe just not being as accurate of a passer as Palmer

Shoes
02-17-2019, 04:43 PM
Pass

86WARD
02-17-2019, 04:58 PM

And in football, there’s pretty much no such thing as straight line speed because of a million variables.

Hound
02-17-2019, 06:23 PM
I’m down with whoever will make the defenses we play stay honest. If they don’t we need someone who will make them pay.Dont care who it is, I just know that if AB leaves he isn’t currently on the Steelers roster.

st33lersguy
02-17-2019, 06:35 PM
Hed be good as a complimentary piece.

teegre
02-17-2019, 06:50 PM
And in football, there’s pretty much no such thing as straight line speed because of a million variables.

Plus, when the pads go on, most players lose speed. Washington does not. :nod: His 4.5 speed stays as 4.5 speed... as evidenced during last year’s Senior Bowl, where Washington was the fastest player in pads.

02-17-2019, 08:20 PM
Plus, when the pads go on, most players lose speed. Washington does not. :nod: His 4.5 speed stays as 4.5 speed... as evidenced during last year’s Senior Bowl, where Washington was the fastest player in pads. But Brown proved in the past he is a burner in the NFL while wearing pads. I think Washington will be good and maybe soon. Though Brown would beat him easy in a race wearing pads. Again I love Washington's potential and think he will be good. He won't be the speedster deep threat the Steelers are missing.

hawaiiansteeler
02-18-2019, 12:13 AM
At this point in his career, John Brown is what he is. I would rather role the dice on the kid from Nowhere State in the 5th round that can fly.

we don't have a 5th round pick this year :flap:

HollywoodSteel
02-18-2019, 02:39 AM
But Brown proved in the past he is a burner in the NFL while wearing pads. I think Washington will be good and maybe soon. Though Brown would beat him easy in a race wearing pads. Again I love Washington's potential and think he will be good. He won't be the speedster deep threat the Steelers are missing.

We already have a burner with questionable receiving skills. The difference is our guy, DHB, is a hard worker, a great teammate, and a special teams ace.

I think James Washington will be a better wr in 2019 in our system than John Brown. I also think JW in year two is better bet than anyone coming out of the draft in year one.

So we really don’t have great options in FA or in the draft to replace AB.

So the answer is keep AB and work things out like adults. AB’s a nut job, but I firmly believe that he’s good enough to be net positive, even if it might mean a little of the dreaded... DUH DUH DUH... “drama!”

And all you geniuses who fear drama more than losing, then at least be consistent. Tell me how big a mistake it was for Chuck Noll, who lost the locker room in ‘77, to keep “problem players” who wanted out for awhile - you know, locker room cancers like Jack Lambert and Mel Blount among others. Tell me that we should have gotten rid of them because... DRAMA!

Or maybe, just maybe, bringing them back into the fold had SOMETHING to do with winning two more Super Bowls.

I mean it’s not like AB is suing the head coach or anything.

Too bad Chuck Noll and Art Sr. didn’t have such knowledgeable fans as we have today to school them about drama in the locker room being a fate worse than death. ;)

pczach
02-18-2019, 08:31 AM
There will be good WR's that are released by teams in preseason. There always are.

Teams will draft players that look good in training camp and some of preseason, and they'll take the chance that they develop into good players, so they'll cut quality wide receivers that are making much more money for a talented, cheaper option through the draft. Either that, or they'll cut a veteran making big money that they feel isn't worth it anymore. Once on the market, teams can sign them for a much more reasonable salary.

EzraTank
02-18-2019, 09:47 AM

Yes but look at the guys he had throwing to him. Moonball Joe, and I can't see past 10 yards Jackson.

teegre
02-18-2019, 10:39 AM
But Brown proved in the past he is a burner in the NFL while wearing pads. I think Washington will be good and maybe soon. Though Brown would beat him easy in a race wearing pads. Again I love Washington's potential and think he will be good. He won't be the speedster deep threat the Steelers are missing.

Yes, John Brown has already shown that he can be a burner in the NFL (whereas, James Washington has not).

My contention is that Washington is still faster (when they both have pads on).

86WARD
02-18-2019, 10:42 AM
Yes but look at the guys he had throwing to him. Moonball Joe, and I can't see past 10 yards Jackson.

Brown was actually fairly decent in the season when Flacco was throwing him the ball...at least through 7 weeks. He wasn’t an All-Pro but he put up low end 2 or high end 3 numbers. Which is what he should be.

EzraTank
02-18-2019, 12:53 PM
Brown was actually fairly decent in the season when Flacco was throwing him the ball...at least through 7 weeks. He wasn’t an All-Pro but he put up low end 2 or high end 3 numbers. Which is what he should be.

I agree. If AB doesn't come back we need someone better than JB to take the heat off Juju who will suddenly be our #1 receiver and thus covered like a #1.

hawaiiansteeler
02-18-2019, 07:46 PM
Brown had 3 receptions for 116 yds and a TD against us in Week 4:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000968806/John-Brown-s-best-plays-vs-Steelers-Week-4

Hound
02-19-2019, 06:49 AM
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/wide-receiver/
People want an established veteran who is better than John Brown, unfortunately this list is filled with a bunch of guys who’s best days are long behind them. Big difference between Ben (who threw the ball more than any other QB in 2018) then Joe and Lamar. I honestly feel like the Steelers won’t get John Brown, because other teams with a lot more money will be bidding on his services

teegre
02-19-2019, 06:51 AM
Unlike DBs, I do not need to bring in an established player at WR. The Steelers have proven themselves to be extremely adept at drafting (replacing) WRs.

Hound
02-19-2019, 07:17 AM
Teegre, your good with who the Steelers have on their current roster and them drafting a rookie WR in the upcoming draft to supplement some of AB production if he is traded?

Hound
02-19-2019, 07:25 AM
I guess I’m a little more concerned about the Steelers offense without AB. The Steelers barely moved the ball against a bad Cincinnati defense without AB.http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense

02-19-2019, 08:11 AM
I guess I’m a little more concerned about the Steelers offense without AB. The Steelers barely moved the ball against a bad Cincinnati defense without AB.http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense Agreed and not only that, If the Steelers pass on Brown most likely they will use a high pick on a wr in the draft. That pick could be used to plug other needs if they get Brown.

02-19-2019, 08:18 AM
Yes, John Brown has already shown that he can be a burner in the NFL (whereas, James Washington has not).

My contention is that Washington is still faster (when they both have pads on). I seen a Brown play a good bit when he was with the Cards and saw almost all snaps Washington played last year. To me it's a easy eyeball test that Brown is faster in pads. Washington might have game speed as someone like Boldin who plays faster then his 40 times but he is not a burner. That said there is a lot to like about Washington but not sure he is ready to shine yet.

Hound
02-19-2019, 10:22 AM
I also have faith that James Washington is going to be a player. I also would like to have a back up plan in case Washington or a rookie draft pick don’t step up in 2019. DHB and Hunter aren’t the plan, I’ve seen the end ov that movie, it’s not very good

Mojouw
02-19-2019, 10:50 AM
I guess it comes down to what the evaluation criteria is. AB is one of the 3 best WRs in the league. I think he is the best in the business. No one on the roster or the FA market is replacing him or even gonna come close to equaling his production. It will have to be spread over multiple guys.

That being said, Washington + A High Draft Pick is a plan I have more faith in than FA John Brown signing. But, what do I know? I've just always seen Brown as fragile speed guy with suspect hands.

Hound
02-19-2019, 11:02 AM
Your 100% right, there is no way the Steelers are going to replace all of AB production! But they can replace inadequate WR who provide zero production in the passing game. What I’m trying to say is with AB probably leaving the stable of WR needs to be improved. The luxury of keeping a guy because he is just a good special teamer is gone. The fact that we do not have any speed that keeps the safeties honest is concerning. Rewatch the bengals game and watch how their secondary played us. Doesn’t have to be John Brown, but I hope the Steelers do bring in a deep play threat that will make other teams play more honest

02-19-2019, 11:38 AM
I also agree it doesn't have to be Brown but I don't see to many other legit deep threat out there in FA. I really don't want them to use a high pick on a wr in the draft if Washington pans out in a year or so.

Born2Steel
02-19-2019, 11:42 AM
Wash was drafted for the sole purpose of stretching the field vertically. I don’t know why he didn’t see the field much but that raises concerns. IMO John Brown is another Hunter, tests great and checks a lot of boxes but doesn’t translate to game day results. Tevin Jones ran a 4.38, is 6’2” 217 and looked pretty good last preseason. He’s already on the Steeler’s PS. I have more confidence in him moving forward.

Fire Goodell
02-19-2019, 04:13 PM
Sheriff John Brown always hated me, for what? I don't know.....

vasteeler
02-19-2019, 04:57 PM

John Brown had a little indian...

hawaiiansteeler
02-19-2019, 06:34 PM

Every time I plant a seed
He said kill it before it grow...