PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers Football Culture Has Changed with Ben Roethlisberger

polamalubeast
09-25-2010, 08:42 PM
It is a very good text!

2. By a show of hands, how many people thought when the Steelers would be down by 10 in the fourth quarter of games, from 1990-2003, the game was as good as over because if the Steelers had to throw the ball, they would lose?

Because the NFL is now a passing league, you can not be a team the relies on the ground game, or when you need to throw, you can't. In 2009, there were many games that the Steelers lost because the defense could not stop the other team from passing.

Who remembers the Steelers final drive against the Cardinals in Super Bowl XLIII? Could we have won that game without Roethlisberger? Do you trust any other QB the Steelers have had since Bradshaw to lead that drive?

Steelers fans that long for the days of "three yards, and a cloud of dust", need to re-evaluate the NFL in 2010.

If you want the success the Steelers have had over the last five seasons (two Super Bowl championships), then you have to grow to accept that the Steelers are not the team that you rooted for growing up.

The reason for that success is Roethlisberger.

Prior to the start of the 2010 NFL season, no one gave the Steelers a chance at even making the playoffs, let alone challenging for the Super Bowl. Once Roethlisberger is back, and the offense is playing like they did in 2009, watch how many talking heads on TV are on the Steelers bandwagon.

read more

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/473306-pittsburgh-steelers-football-cutlure-has-changed-with-ben-roethlisberger

SMR
09-25-2010, 09:25 PM
It is a very good text!

2. By a show of hands, how many people thought when the Steelers would be down by 10 in the fourth quarter of games, from 1990-2003, the game was as good as over because if the Steelers had to throw the ball, they would lose?

Because the NFL is now a passing league, you can not be a team the relies on the ground game, or when you need to throw, you can't. In 2009, there were many games that the Steelers lost because the defense could not stop the other team from passing.

Who remembers the Steelers final drive against the Cardinals in Super Bowl XLIII? Could we have won that game without Roethlisberger? Do you trust any other QB the Steelers have had since Bradshaw to lead that drive?

Steelers fans that long for the days of "three yards, and a cloud of dust", need to re-evaluate the NFL in 2010.

If you want the success the Steelers have had over the last five seasons (two Super Bowl championships), then you have to grow to accept that the Steelers are not the team that you rooted for growing up.

The reason for that success is Roethlisberger.

Prior to the start of the 2010 NFL season, no one gave the Steelers a chance at even making the playoffs, let alone challenging for the Super Bowl. Once Roethlisberger is back, and the offense is playing like they did in 2009, watch how many talking heads on TV are on the Steelers bandwagon.

read more

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/473306-pittsburgh-steelers-football-cutlure-has-changed-with-ben-roethlisberger

:clap2:

GoSlash27
09-26-2010, 06:13 AM
I'm not buyin' all of that. No disrespect to Big Ben, but the author is really glossing over the difficulties encountered by pass-happy teams. It's a passing league, but that doesn't mean we *have to be* a passing team.

Kittyfish
09-26-2010, 07:17 AM
But it's nice we can be a passing team, if we need to be. Options are always good.

steeldawg
09-26-2010, 08:10 AM
We are a passing team folks and thats not a bad thing. Just look at our first 2 games this year, we are trying to ground and pound but it has not been successful. Yes I realize we are 2-0 but it has nothing to do with our offense. I love our offense with Ben in the game ,scoring is a good thing. Last year we were a very good passing team and had our D not blown 5 4th quarter leads we wouldve easily made the playoffs. I would much rather Play great D and score a bunch of points rather than play great D and control the clock. I think this article is dead on accurate Ben's game got us over the hump we need him and his big play ability.

GoSlash27
09-26-2010, 08:24 AM
But it's nice we can be a passing team, if we need to be. Options are always good.

'Zackly. It's the options that make our offense deadly, especially when we keep the defense guessing. My point is that being a "passing team" is just as bad as being a "running team". We want to be balanced and effective in both areas.

XxKnightxX
09-26-2010, 06:03 PM
I dont have a problem being a passing team, but the only part that enfuriated me about the running game wasnt the attempts, but more the fact that Zierlein was one of the worst coaches when it came to making his scheme work with our players, and he didnt challenge them at all to become good run blockers nor did he adjust any of his blocking schemes. Kugler is a great replacement since hes a tough SOB and who would of though we would have won at Tennesee with 2 of our lineman down and out for a game with Zierlein being their position coach?