PDA

View Full Version : Media calls for Steelers to part ways with Antonio Brown

hawaiiansteeler
02-07-2019, 04:18 PM
Media calls for Steelers to part ways with Antonio Brown

By BRYAN DEARDO

Antonio Brown's recent incident involving a domestic incident at his Florida residence has led to several prominent writers in Pittsburgh calling for the Steelers to part ways with the decade's most productive wide receiver. Many media members in Pittsburgh already wanted the team to move on from Brown after he left the team before the end of the 2018 regular season. This week's news involving Brown put many of them over the top.

Jim Wexell of 247Sports is calling for the Steelers to move on from both Antonio Brown as well as former All-Pro running back, Le'Veon Bell, who is expected to leave the team in free agency. Wexell's piece included information that Brown still hasn't contacted team president Art Rooney II to try to patch things up a month before the start of free agency.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette was among the sportswriters to state that it's time for the Steelers to move on from Brown, who had several off-field issues this past season that included physically threatening a reporter on social media.

to read rest of article:

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/ContentGallery/Media-calls-for-Steelers-to-part-ways-with-Antonio-Brown-128833453/

GoSlash27
02-07-2019, 04:37 PM
That's cute. Now the media thinks they run the team. Normally it's fans who struggle with that delusion.

86WARD
02-07-2019, 05:50 PM
All credibility goes out the window with Douchette saying the team should part ways...lol.

vasteeler
02-07-2019, 06:58 PM
Oh gee, since the media called for it...:rolleyes:

Mojouw
02-07-2019, 07:03 PM
When trading AB cripples the cap for 2019, these same geniuses will write detailed [emoji91] takes about how Tomlin and Colbert failed to make the moves necessary to improve the roster.

steelreserve
02-07-2019, 08:38 PM
The media calls for a lot of stupid things.

On the other hand: Never assume that because something is insane, it will not be done.

teegre
02-08-2019, 06:46 AM
Well... since the media said it, I’m now completely on board.

HollywoodSteel
02-08-2019, 11:41 AM
What a shock. The Pittsburgh media are now a gang who back their own after a player calls one of them out for lazy reporting earlier in the season.

Well, when any one of these brilliant journalists becomes anywhere NEAR as good at their job as AB is at his, maybe I’ll be sympathetic to their attempt at wagging the dog.

And they’re not even good at punishing their intended diva. He seems to WANT a trade. How is giving him what he wants, and making the team worse as a result, when the team holds all the cards, sending some sort of useful message?

If I were AR-Deuce I’d turn into Jack Nicholson from A Few Good Men and deal with AB like he dealt with the fuck up soldier who wanted to be transferred off the base.

No way. Jack decided to “train the lad” instead.

Give AB a code red and then have him go man his post!

When did our team go soft and start letting the media and players under contract tell them what to do? Next thing you know we’ll be surrendering to Cuba.

pczach
02-08-2019, 02:58 PM
When trading AB cripples the cap for 2019, these same geniuses will write detailed [emoji91] takes about how Tomlin and Colbert failed to make the moves necessary to improve the roster.

The media gets everything right because they get to speculate going forward with zero accountability, and get to look back with 20/20 hindsight while not acknowledging any incorrect, negligent, or any ridiculous recommendations they made previously while simultaneously pointing out everything they see as mistakes by anyone they report on. :thumbsup:

What a gig!

43Hitman
02-08-2019, 04:19 PM
The media gets everything right because they get to speculate going forward with zero accountability, and get to look back with 20/20 hindsight while not acknowledging any incorrect, negligent, or any ridiculous recommendations they made previously while simultaneously pointing out everything they see as mistakes by anyone they report on. :thumbsup:

What a gig!

Almost as good as being a weatherman err person

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-09-2019, 02:42 AM
That's cute. Now the media thinks they run the team. Normally it's fans who struggle with that delusion.

Yeah, when the crack staff of SteelersDepot calls for Browns trade/release, that is when I think its a good decision.:sarcasm2:

tube517
02-09-2019, 08:03 AM
Why would Bulchitte call for the Steelers to part ways w/AB Kardashian? :scratchchin: :chuckle:

j-d-s
02-10-2019, 11:59 AM
If we cut AB I could definitely see the Cheatriots picking him up. So no. Just, no, never.

AtlantaDan
02-11-2019, 08:39 AM
Peter King contends AB's trade value may be diminished to the point keeping him might be the smart move

I think the market for Antonio Brown might be so low the Steelers could find their best option is to keep him—even if it means they may have to cut him in October if he becomes disruptive again. Brown’s a gamble, but the upside if he can be reined in could well be better than a getting 30 cents on the dollar in a trade because teams don’t trust him.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/10/julian-edelman-patriots-mvp-nfl-fmia-peter-king/

No podcast online so far after AB met with Bill Simmons. A writer can clean up the transcript of an interview to post the text online but an audio podcast requires the subject of the interview to be coherent for more than 90 seconds. Good luck with AB meeting that standard.

teegre
02-11-2019, 10:15 AM
Whenever I hear the word “media” I think of this:

“It’s the media, it’s the media... the media is out to get us. When I am at the ATM, I’m not looking over my shoulder for the media. Oh no, it’s Mike Wallace... run!!!”

-Chris Rock

Mojouw
02-11-2019, 10:56 AM
Peter King contends AB's trade value may be diminished to the point keeping him might be the smart move

I think the market for Antonio Brown might be so low the Steelers could find their best option is to keep him—even if it means they may have to cut him in October if he becomes disruptive again. Brown’s a gamble, but the upside if he can be reined in could well be better than a getting 30 cents on the dollar in a trade because teams don’t trust him.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/10/julian-edelman-patriots-mvp-nfl-fmia-peter-king/

No podcast online so far after AB met with Bill Simmons. A writer can clean up the transcript of an interview to post the text online but an audio podcast requires the subject of the interview to be coherent for more than 90 seconds. Good luck with AB meeting that standard.

It doesn't matter what AB does or doesn't do between now and whenever -- there was never going to be fair trade value for AB. He is one of the most dominant offensive players in the entire league. He is signed to a stupidly team friendly deal through his prime years. No team was going to give up the 2 first round picks plus other goodies that was worth.

It has always been and will always be the "upside" play to keep Brown and hope for the best. That being said, I get it if they trade him. But it will, by definition, be at a discount.

Dwinsgames
02-12-2019, 09:04 AM
every little detail IMO is not worthy of yet another thread for us to all say the same sort of things ............... that said here yah go the latest on A.B circus

86WARD
02-12-2019, 09:24 AM
Was AB a no show and a lawyer showed up on his behalf?

AtlantaDan
02-12-2019, 09:48 AM
Was AB a no show and a lawyer showed up on his behalf?

Attorney was there but no AB.

This article says AB was ordered to pay a fine. Attorney may have worked something out although the linked article says he can appeal the fine.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019/02/12/antonio-brown-found-guilty-mcknight-road-speeding-incident/amp/

86WARD
02-12-2019, 10:13 AM
That’s not really a no-show then. He paid a lawyer to do what lawyers do.

Dwinsgames
02-12-2019, 10:26 AM
its more of a .... what was the cop thinking giving ME a ticket doesn't he realize who I am ...here is some money go handle this for me its not worth my time as I am above this sort of thing ( I mean its not like he had to be at work or something )

to me he was there to make the entire ordeal happen , he should be there to see it through ..in other words grow a pair and man the hell up

AtlantaDan
02-12-2019, 10:27 AM

Agreed if a deal was worked out before the hearing.

This story goes with the AB failed to show rather than had a deal worked out line.

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown failed to show up in court Tuesday for a summary trial related to a reckless driving charge, court records show.

His no-show led to a disposition of guilty for the reckless driving charge, which carries a fine of $200.

https://triblive.com/local/allegheny/14605225-74/steelers-antonio-brown-a-no-show-at-reckless-driving-hearing

FWIW $200 seems like a pretty light hit for driving 100 mph - state of Pennsylvania missing out on an easy $$ revenue source. :chuckle: My fine and court costs for driving 79 mph in North Carolina on an interstate that got knocked down to a lesser charge than speeding were more than that.

Dwinsgames
02-12-2019, 11:03 AM

This story goes with the AB failed to show rather than had a deal worked out line.

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown failed to show up in court Tuesday for a summary trial related to a reckless driving charge, court records show.

His no-show led to a disposition of guilty for the reckless driving charge, which carries a fine of $200.

https://triblive.com/local/allegheny/14605225-74/steelers-antonio-brown-a-no-show-at-reckless-driving-hearing

FWIW $200 seems like a pretty light hit for driving 100 mph - state of Pennsylvania missing out on an easy $$ revenue source. :chuckle: My fine and court costs for driving 79 mph in North Carolina on an interstate that got knocked down to a lesser charge than speeding were more than that.

Pa is noit missing out trust me ( we are a commonwealth state ) they get every penny and then some ... the FINE is $200 but the costs will make it MUCH greater about 60% more ( a guess ) but probably the $450 neighborhood ( plus lawyer fees )

86WARD
02-12-2019, 02:31 PM
Pa is noit missing out trust me ( we are a commonwealth state ) they get every penny and then some ... the FINE is $200 but the costs will make it MUCH greater about 60% more ( a guess ) but probably the $450 neighborhood ( plus lawyer fees )

Yeah...once you throw on those ambulance fees and the like, it gets up there...lol.

steelreserve
02-12-2019, 03:31 PM

Even if there was no deal worked out, if he could see "the only consequence of not showing up is a guilty plea" and wasn't going to fight it anyway, then why bother showing up.

Basically he's probably chilling somewhere warmer and more entertaining, and he's got other things to do that are more fun than traveling to Pittsburgh for a court appearance, so he's not really interested in going, and I guess sending a lawyer might be insurance against a contempt of court charge or a warrant being issued to force you to appear in person.

FrancoLambert
02-12-2019, 08:36 PM

Yeah, but maybe it would have been nice for him to show up, acknowledge his mistake and show some contrition.

But he’s too self absorbed to even consider that.

I wouldn’t downplay him not showing up just because he could pay a lawyer.