PDA

View Full Version : Todd McShay Mock Draft 2.0: Steelers select an ILB to help complete their LB corps

hawaiiansteeler
02-07-2019, 03:36 PM
Todd McShay Mock Draft 2.0: Steelers select an ILB to help complete their LB corps

Could the Steelers finally get a player who could help fill the gaping hole left by Ryan Shazier?

By Jeff.Hartman
Feb 7, 2019

It might seem crazy, but the 2019 NFL Scouting Combine is just around the corner, which means the NFL Draft is really starting to heat up! With college football All-Star games over, it is now time when experts start to release their mock drafts for the upcoming draft process.

While mock drafts are nothing more than lofty projections for teams, the analysis of diagnosing team needs can be a valuable one.

The Pittsburgh Steelers have some glaring needs on their football team, and most reside on the defensive side of the football. Below is an early ranking of the Steelers’ top three needs which could, and probably should, be addressed in the upcoming draft:

1. Cornerback
2. Inside Linebacker
3. EDGE Rusher

While there certainly are other team needs, including running back, most would agree the team should have a very defensive oriented draft class while looking at their current roster. ESPN draft expert Todd McShay agrees when he selected an inside linebacker to the Steelers in his first mock draft of the year.

Check out what McShay said about the selection:

to read rest of article:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/2/7/18215337/todd-mcshay-mock-draft-2-0-steelers-select-an-ilb-to-help-complete-the-lb-corps-devin-bush-michigan

Fire Goodell
02-07-2019, 03:58 PM
Corner or Inside backer I'm down with

hawaiiansteeler
02-07-2019, 04:18 PM
Corner or Inside backer I'm down with

me too, would you be okay with WR in the 1st round if we trade AB?

Fire Goodell
02-07-2019, 05:08 PM

I would be. I always take a wait and see approach to any pick. If it's not our biggest need but was a hell of a player then I wouldn't complain about it (like picking juju in rd. 2 last year). I'm a firm believer that every team has weaknesses, but if you field a team with a strong collection of players you'll be in the mix no matter what.

Shoes
02-07-2019, 06:26 PM
McShay is a bum, away with him! :chuckle:

st33lersguy
02-07-2019, 08:06 PM
Steelers are in desperate need of a tone-setter, a leader on defense

pczach
02-07-2019, 08:36 PM

The Steelers have historically struck out when they reach for a need position rather than taking the best player available. Players like Troy Edwards and Jarvis Jones come to mind. The team would probably tell you that both players were high on their boards, but I don't believe that. I believe both players should have been rated far below where they were taken, and I have a hard time believing their scouts could be that off on a prospect like Jarvis Jones when there were so many signs that he shouldn't have been a high draft pick.

I know we all get frustrated sometimes during the draft when they seem to ignore drafting their biggest need positions, but at the same time, the team needs to trust their board. If there is a player available on your board that is far and away the best player, it's hard not to take that player. I know that you can't draft a kicker in the first round and you still need to draft need, but reaching is a mistake.

This is where I wish that the team has the patience and calm to trade back if there is nobody at a position of need worthy of the pick they are currently on. Accumulate picks and then use the additional pick to take more players, or use it to move up to take a player they love when he is still on the board later in the draft.

Forcing picks based on need is the surest path to failure.

teegre
02-08-2019, 06:50 AM
Question:
What does Devin Bush bring to the table that (let’s say) you couldn’t get from Khalil Hodge in R2?

I‘m not doubting nor begrudging Bush. I’m asking so that (if we were GMs) we’ve properly evaluated & ranked all of the ILBs in this draft. In what ways is Bush better than Hodge?

Again, Bush might indeed be the better player, but is he significantly better than Hodge? Might it behoove us to draft a CB first?... and draft an ILB later???

Rotorhead
02-08-2019, 10:09 AM
I stopped reading after he said we needed a RB, did he not watch the Steelers this season, Bell has been replaced and from I saw both replacements are good enough to start for this team.

slippy
02-08-2019, 12:56 PM
Conner has not been the same since his concussion and Samuels had one great game.

Born2Steel
02-08-2019, 07:57 PM
Before we fall into the trap of "must draft defense in first 4 rounds" again, there are many positions of need on the Steelers. In order to field a top 10 defense you do not need stars and dynamic TP43 types. Everybody loves them but they are not a must have for a successful defense. On the other hand you very much need dynamic playmakers and superstar athletes on the offensive side of the ball. I AM NOT SAYING don't draft an ILB or CB in the first/early rounds. I AM saying do not let yourselves put blinders on to game changing players just because they don't play a position you deem as a need right now. If the BPA on the board is a TE, WR, RB, QB, OL, you MUST consider the player. That said, I am hoping for one of 3 ILBs, 2 safeties, or 5 CBs to be available at our pick 20. BUT if not, DO NOT REACH for a player because of his role on the team.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-09-2019, 02:36 AM
Question:
What does Devin Bush bring to the table that (let’s say) you couldn’t get from Khalil Hodge in R2?

I‘m not doubting nor begrudging Bush. I’m asking so that (if we were GMs) we’ve properly evaluated & ranked all of the ILBs in this draft. In what ways is Bush better than Hodge?

Again, Bush might indeed be the better player, but is he significantly better than Hodge? Might it behoove us to draft a CB first?... and draft an ILB later???

Probably because Hodge is projected as a Rd 4-Rd6 prospect, so why draft him in the 2nd?

I'll look into Hodge further, rather than trust scouts projections, but Bush is kind of a Zach Thomas, Sam Mills undersized but quick and intelligent ILB that is always around the football and is a tackler and play maker. I think he is the somewhat rare player that just balls out, regardless of the measurables and is somebody that you kick yourself for passing on. He is not the same size, but I think you pass on him and regret it like teams passed on Daruis Leonard this season.

teegre
02-09-2019, 06:18 AM
Probably because Hodge is projected as a Rd 4-Rd6 prospect, so why draft him in the 2nd?

I'll look into Hodge further, rather than trust scouts projections, but Bush is kind of a Zach Thomas, Sam Mills undersized but quick and intelligent ILB that is always around the football and is a tackler and play maker. I think he is the somewhat rare player that just balls out, regardless of the measurables and is somebody that you kick yourself for passing on. He is not the same size, but I think you pass on him and regret it like teams passed on Daruis Leonard this season.

1. That’s what I’ve heard about Bush, as well. “If he were 2 inches taller, he’d be the top ILB in this draft.” But, that’s all that I really know about him (my knowledge about his play is limited).

2. Why is Hodges projected in R4-R6 (versus R2)? I’m really asking.

3. Which ILB(s) do indeed project as a R2 pick(s)?

SUMMATION:
If we don’t go ILB at 20, I’m trying to figure out who we would indeed target in R2 (or R3).

Born2Steel
02-09-2019, 09:23 AM
Tre Lamar may be there at pick 52. His draft profiles are all over the place. Some say he is only a 2 down ILB, others say he's a versatile 3 down LB. Some say his weakness is in coverages then others say he his suited for covering TEs and RBs in the middle. His measurables are that he's huge and fast. With his size and speed he should be getting talked about more if he were a round 1 guy. He's one of those you have to take through the process first. But I still have him as a dark horse possibility. Cannot ignore his numbers.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-10-2019, 01:21 AM
1. That’s what I’ve heard about Bush, as well. “If he were 2 inches taller, he’d be the top ILB in this draft.” But, that’s all that I really know about him (my knowledge about his play is limited).

2. Why is Hodges projected in R4-R6 (versus R2)? I’m really asking.

3. Which ILB(s) do indeed project as a R2 pick(s)?

SUMMATION:
If we don’t go ILB at 20, I’m trying to figure out who we would indeed target in R2 (or R3).

1. Bush is a guy that might check in around 5'11", 230lbs and kind of reminds me of Sean Spence while at Miami. Words like instinctive, speedy, playmaker, leader all seem to stick to him. I watched a few Michigan games this season and he is always around the football, making tackles and seeing the play before it unfolds. He seems thicker in the lower body than Spence was in college and reminds me of Zach Thomas the way he takes on RB's in the hole.

2. Hodges is something like 6'2" 255lbs and after I watched him in the East-West Shrine game, he reminds me of less athletic version of former Steeler ILB Earl Holmes. In that game, he repeatedly stood in place while trying to diagnose the play, chose the wrong hole in the run game, was late to drop in the pass game and it always seemed like 3 or 4 players got to the ballcarrier before him. On a goal line play from the 3 yard line he blindly took the wrong gap and never saw the RB until he was 5 yards past him in the end zone.

I honestly would not spend a 6th round pick on him, as it doesn't look like he runs well enough or has lateral change of direction to even be a good special teamer. Hodges was not invited to the NFL combine. How many 2nd round prospects don't get invited to the combine?

3. as B2S says, Tre Lamar might be around from Clemson. Germaine Pratt from NC State is intriguing and I need to break down some tape of him. Pratt is a former Safety and he recorded the fastest speed at Sr. Bowl practice (20.4mph) according to next Gen Stats. In comparison, last year James Washington WR from OSU was the fastest, clocked at 21.25mph and Leonard Fournette the prior year at 22.05 mph.

teegre
02-10-2019, 10:29 AM
@El-G
Thank you. :nod:

I loved Spence coming out of college. I was ecstatic when we drafted both DeCastro AND Spence. I truly think that Spence’s injury set us back several years on defense. If he had continued to develop, we would not have needed to draft Shazier (and maybe we trade up to get Aaron Donald???... or, simply drafted DeMarcus Lawrence instead).

Spence getting injured followed by Shazier getting injured, basically means that we have been looking for an ILB since 2012. :scared:

86WARD
02-10-2019, 10:33 AM
ESPN’s Todd McShay said that (http://www.40acressports.com/2008/04/24/mcshay-scouting-report-limas-sweed/) “ten years from now, we’re going to say Limas Sweed was the most productive and most talented wide receiver in the 2008 NFL Draft class.”

Just saying...

Born2Steel
02-10-2019, 10:54 AM
NOBODY knew Sweed was going to have the issues he did.

86WARD
02-11-2019, 09:27 AM
Nope. Nobody did. I’ve been on record several times saying I’d still make that pick today...was the only pick in that draft that I liked. The rest made me sick.

86WARD
02-11-2019, 09:28 AM
Nope. Nobody did. I’ve been on record several times saying I’d still make that pick today...was the only pick in that draft that I liked. The rest made me sick.

Still does make me sick...

teegre
02-11-2019, 10:10 AM

:nod: As I’ve posted numerous times: If that pick were to come up again, knowing now what I know, I’d still select Linas Sweed in R2.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-11-2019, 10:12 AM

:applaudit: Kudos to you for sticking to that statement! Sweed was the all time leading receiver at Texas and coming off a hand injury, so 2nd round looked like it might be a steal and as you say, nobody knew he was going to have the troubles he did.

Also, you are correct the rest of the draft of Bruce Davis(the precursor of J Jones OLB bust), Tony Hills(project bust) and Dennis Dixon, Mike Humpal was horrible at the time. I thought Mendenhall was going to be a big contributor at the RB spot, but was on record as saying we needed to draft O line and either Jeremy Zuttah in the 1st, Anthony Collins in the 3rd or Carl Nicks in the 4th should have been selected at some point.

Mojouw
02-11-2019, 10:59 AM

I was certain they had gotten the best WR in that draft. I was also pretty sure Mendenhall was going to be pretty good as well. I also agree, Sweed was the pick 10 times out of 10.

86WARD
02-11-2019, 12:01 PM
:applaudit: Kudos to you for sticking to that statement! Sweed was the all time leading receiver at Texas and coming off a hand injury, so 2nd round looked like it might be a steal and as you say, nobody knew he was going to have the troubles he did.

Also, you are correct the rest of the draft of Bruce Davis(the precursor of J Jones OLB bust), Tony Hills(project bust) and Dennis Dixon, Mike Humpal was horrible at the time. I thought Mendenhall was going to be a big contributor at the RB spot, but was on record as saying we needed to draft O line and either Jeremy Zuttah in the 1st, Anthony Collins in the 3rd or Carl Nicks in the 4th should have been selected at some point.

Bruce Davis Over Cliff Avril...I was soooooo angry...lol.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-11-2019, 12:10 PM
Bruce Davis Over Cliff Avril...I was soooooo angry...lol.

You and me both. Avril was clearly the better prospect, but I think they loved the sack totals of Davis. I watched Davis highlights and he never engaged the OT to get his sacks. Its like he was afraid of the contact.

The other was that I was screaming in the 4th to take Carl Nicks, but they took Tony Hills. Nicks actually went in the 5th round to the Saints and possibly the HOF. SMH

Mojouw
02-11-2019, 12:16 PM
You and me both. Avril was clearly the better prospect, but I think they loved the sack totals of Davis. I watched Davis highlights and he never engaged the OT to get his sacks. Its like he was afraid of the contact.

The other was that I was screaming in the 4th to take Carl Nicks, but they took Tony Hills. Nicks actually went in the 5th round to the Saints and possibly the HOF. SMH

My biggest one was from another draft...2006. I remember yelling at them to draft Brandon Marshall instead of Wee Willie Reid. So mad...

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-11-2019, 01:21 PM
My biggest one was from another draft...2006. I remember yelling at them to draft Brandon Marshall instead of Wee Willie Reid. So mad...

Man, I wonder how that would have worked out as he went thru his psychological disorder diagnosis? Imagine subtracting Willie Reid, Bruce Davis and Tony Hills and adding Marshall, Carl Nicks and Cliff Avril to the roster in those seasons??

Mojouw
02-11-2019, 01:28 PM
Man, I wonder how that would have worked out as he went thru his psychological disorder diagnosis? Imagine subtracting Willie Reid, Bruce Davis and Tony Hills and adding Marshall, Carl Nicks and Cliff Avril to the roster in those seasons??

Yeah that would've really changed the look of some of those teams! I don't have time right now to work through all the implications, but it would be fun to start in like 2006 and redraft through about 2008 or 2009.

Dwinsgames
02-11-2019, 01:29 PM
just posted today on twitter a few of my old tweets on the draft from the past 2 seasons ...

the " barely anybody else sees this " but I do hot takes ..

Six Rings
02-11-2019, 04:00 PM
Conner has not been the same since his concussion and Samuels had one great game.

Conner was over used, Samules shined against who, the super bowl champions. Next season, I can see a 70/30 spilt between the two players in terms of carries and catches, and the Steelers will be better because of it.

Conner needs to work on ball security. Samules pass blocking.

Fire Goodell
02-11-2019, 06:31 PM

uh what? He only played in the finale and had a pretty strong performance. 64 yards for 4.6 a pop and 3 catches for 30 yards. That's solid production, especially returning from injury and sharing time with Samuels.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-11-2019, 11:06 PM
@El-G
Thank you. :nod:

I loved Spence coming out of college. I was ecstatic when we drafted both DeCastro AND Spence. I truly think that Spence’s injury set us back several years on defense. If he had continued to develop, we would not have needed to draft Shazier (and maybe we trade up to get Aaron Donald???... or, simply drafted DeMarcus Lawrence instead).

Spence getting injured followed by Shazier getting injured, basically means that we have been looking for an ILB since 2012. :scared:

Teeg, I posted some Germain Pratt video and breakdowns on the draft section of the forum. I looked at some Senior Bowl footage of him, the reports that week and looked at some tape. I think he could be another option in the 2nd round.

teegre
02-12-2019, 06:44 AM
Teeg, I posted some Germain Pratt video and breakdowns on the draft section of the forum. I looked at some Senior Bowl footage of him, the reports that week and looked at some tape. I think he could be another option in the 2nd round.

Long ago... for about five seasons in a row, the Steelers drafted the “standout” player from the Senior Bowl. Antwaan Randle El being the one whom I remember most vividly.

In a similar vein, last year, the Steelers drafted the fastest player at the Senior Bowl (James Washington). Maybe they continue that trend this draft (and select Germain Pratt).

Regardless, thank you for the breakdown (and links).

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-12-2019, 11:23 AM
Long ago... for about five seasons in a row, the Steelers drafted the “standout” player from the Senior Bowl. Antwaan Randle El being the one whom I remember most vividly.

In a similar vein, last year, the Steelers drafted the fastest player at the Senior Bowl (James Washington). Maybe they continue that trend this draft (and select Germain Pratt).

Regardless, thank you for the breakdown (and links).

Yup and I can recall seeing Vince Williams just destroy a pulling guard at the Senior Bowl. Cam Sutton locking down OJ Howard in the slot, Jaylen Samuels showing a bit of a bigger and slower Tashard Choice type running style, but great hands and route running in the pass game last years game.

I also saw Darius Leonard go sideline to sideline last season and tackle everything with a football, but we know what happened there. Seriously, Pratt isn't as fluid in change of direction as Leonard and likely because he has 20 Lbs more weight on him, but he can get to the edges in the run game, drop in coverage to take away TE seam passes in zone. I think he would be a bit raw, but still a guy that is behind Bostic and Williams on the depth chart, but gets his feet wet in sub packages and progresses as the season goes on.

Draft I would love to see:

Rd1 Rock Ya-Sin, CB Temple
Rd2 Germaine Pratt ILB- NC State
RD3 Chase Winovich- OLB Michigan
Rd 4 Zach Gentry TE Michigan
Rd 6 Ty Johnson RB Maryland
Rd 6 Lanard Bonner G Arkansas St
Rd7 Olive Sagapolu DT Wisconsin

hawaiiansteeler
02-12-2019, 01:17 PM
Draft I would love to see:

Rd1 Rock Ya-Sin, CB Temple
Rd2 Germaine Pratt ILB- NC State
RD3 Chase Winovich- OLB Michigan
Rd 4 Zach Gentry TE Michigan
Rd 6 Ty Johnson RB Maryland
Rd 6 Lanard Bonner G Arkansas St
Rd7 Olive Sagapolu DT Wisconsin

I'm pretty sure Rock Ya-Sin will still be available when we draft in the 2nd round.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-12-2019, 01:54 PM
I'm pretty sure Rock Ya-Sin will still be available when we draft in the 2nd round.

You are likely correct, but I think if he runs well at the combine and does the field drills well he could rise. I think he is going to show good fluidity as an athlete, but long speed is a question. JoJuan Williams from Vanderbilt is another guy that I think his 40 time is gonna be huge. Another big corner with size and plays close to the WR, but not sure if he has the vertical speed.

So, maybe if Devin Bush is there at #20, go with him and see if Ya-Sin or Williams is around in the 2nd round. Will be fun to see how it all shakes out.

hawaiiansteeler
02-12-2019, 01:59 PM
You are likely correct, but I think if he runs well at the combine and does the field drills well he could rise. I think he is going to show good fluidity as an athlete, but long speed is a question. JoJuan Williams from Vanderbilt is another guy that I think his 40 time is gonna be huge. Another big corner with size and plays close to the WR, but not sure if he has the vertical speed.

So, maybe if Devin Bush is there at #20, go with him and see if Ya-Sin or Williams is around in the 2nd round. Will be fun to see how it all shakes out.

I would love to see that happen. what do you think about Mack Wilson at #20?

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-12-2019, 03:02 PM
I would love to see that happen. what do you think about Mack Wilson at #20?

Watch him here vs Arkansas and let me know if you think he is worth the pick at #20. Its a play by play spot shadow of Wilson the entire game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IulezWjBy8k

hawaiiansteeler
02-12-2019, 03:10 PM
Watch him here vs Arkansas and let me know if you think he is worth the pick at #20. Its a play by play spot shadow of Wilson the entire game.

thanks, I hadn't seen those lowlights of him. Wilson did absolutely nothing that game...

hawaiiansteeler
02-12-2019, 03:19 PM

I would love to see it unfold this way:

Rd 1 Devin Bush ILB Michigan
Rd 2 Rock Ya-Sin, CB Temple
Rd 3 David Sills WR W Virginia

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-12-2019, 04:30 PM
thanks, I hadn't seen those lowlights of him. Wilson did absolutely nothing that game...

I agree, I didn't seem him do anything fundamentally sound that got him to the ballcarrier in that entire game. He looks like a fluid athlete, but got lost in coverage on rub routes, took bad angles to the football and was out of position, missed tackles. I don't think I recall him making a single solo tackle on defense in that tape.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-12-2019, 04:39 PM
I would love to see it unfold this way:

Rd 1 Devin Bush ILB Michigan
Rd 2 Rock Ya-Sin, CB Temple
Rd 3 David Sills WR W Virginia

Yeah, I wonder if Keelan Doss will last until the 3rd round? He looked smooth in his route running and catching of the football at the Senior Bowl. A big body guy like him might be a great addition to the WR corps if AB is traded. Kind of a Keenan Allen type player.

I'm honestly going to be interested to see how Dionte Spencer shows in training camp. He was a late round pick of the Rams a few years ago from Alcorn St (I think). He ran a 4.27-40 at his pro day and jumped 40" vertical. He is only 5'8" 175lbs and was up in the CFL the past few seasons, but definitely has the speed to stretch the field.

hawaiiansteeler
02-12-2019, 07:34 PM
Yeah, I wonder if Keelan Doss will last until the 3rd round? He looked smooth in his route running and catching of the football at the Senior Bowl. A big body guy like him might be a great addition to the WR corps if AB is traded. Kind of a Keenan Allen type player.

KEELAN DOSS WR CAL-DAVIS 6’2/207

NFL radar has been on this smaller school player since the end of his 2017 season. He was one of the top dozen, or so, small-school prospects back when this past season began. After first accepting an invite to play at the Shrine venue, he accepted a “late” invite to join the Senior Bowl party. His first positive impression came at the weigh-in on Tuesday. He was a well proportioned physical specimen, with a solid height/weight combo. His 9″ hands were adequate, though not exciting to scouts, but his 33″ arms, combined with 6’2 height, indicated a large catch radius. I felt that he dropped a few too many balls during practice sessions, but also made some nice grabs. His speed and route running also looked above average, to my eyes. Come game day, he made his mark with 4 receptions for 55 yards, including a long catch/run of 21 yards. With his overall size, his speed/quickness numbers at the Combine will go a long way in determining how high he goes in the Draft. He’s got a shot at a Top 100 selection spot, IMO.

https://gbnreport.com/senior-bowl-reports/

teegre
02-13-2019, 06:33 AM
UC Davis... nice!!!

I always root for the “lesser known” UC schools. And, not just because they have the best mascots: Tritons, Banana Slugs, Gauchos, Anteaters, Highlanders...