PDA

View Full Version : Bill Belichick helped Steelers win Super Bowl XL

Shoes
02-01-2019, 01:04 PM
Bill Belichick (https://247sports.com/coach/Bill-Belichick-3330) didn't win Super Bowl XL, as his New England Patriots were denied the opportunity to win their third consecutive Super Bowl after losing to the Denver Broncos in the divisional round of the 2005 AFC playoffs. But Belichick still played a role in which did team hoist the Vince Lombardi Trophy at season's end.

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/Bill-Belichick-helped-Steelers-win-Super-Bowl-XL-128570136/

Born2Steel
02-01-2019, 01:07 PM
Thank you Uncle Bill.

Shoes
02-01-2019, 01:08 PM
Thank you Uncle Bill.

:chuckle:

Fire Goodell
02-01-2019, 01:31 PM
Yeah he did, he lost to butt fumble Sanchez which gave us an easy path to the Super Bowl :chuckle:

zulater
02-01-2019, 03:50 PM
Not sure he did or didn't help but I'm glad that game was brought up. Because when people seek to defame Big Ben one of the places they go is that he somehow didn't earn his first Super Bowl ring because of his subpar stat line in SB 40. First off he played better than the stats suggest and helped convert several critical 3rd downs that helped close the 11 point win out. Also Hines Ward dropped what should have been a TD pass from Ben prior to the flea flicker. That one play alone figured in about a 40 point swing in Ben's passer rating for the day. The one pass he really would have loved to have back was the interception where he didn't get enough air under the ball. He was young, it was a layup and was so easy that he choked. Instead of a TD it was an interception that gave the Seahawks a brief rally which they didn't sustain.

Anyway my point to all the idjits that clown Ben over the SB is that we didn't get there by invitation. We earned it by 3 road wins over 3 exceptional teams. Ben's play in each of those playoff games was execptional! His first half play in particular was incredible in leading the Steelers to double digit leads against the favored Colts and Broncos. Yes he didn't have a lot attempts those games. But that was only because the Steelers chose to take the air out of the ball in the second half and ride the defense and running game to the end result.

Fire Goodell
02-01-2019, 05:45 PM
Were the Broncos favored in that game? I honestly felt after the Indy game there was no stopping this team from getting to the Super Bowl. Indy was the best team in the NFL and we went in their house and dominated them. It was only close cause of a freak fumble by the Bus and the refs screwed the Polamalu INT. I knew the Broncos were going to be toast (and they were)

zulater
02-01-2019, 06:55 PM
Were the Broncos favored in that game? I honestly felt after the Indy game there was no stopping this team from getting to the Super Bowl. Indy was the best team in the NFL and we went in their house and dominated them. It was only close cause of a freak fumble by the Bus and the refs screwed the Polamalu INT. I knew the Broncos were going to be toast (and they were)

Denver was a 3 point favorite according to Vegas Insider. The teams we went through on the way to the SB were 11-5 Bengals, 14-2 Colts, and 13-3 Broncos. The Steelers were also 11-5 but lost the division tie breaker to the Bengals due mostly to a mid season slump where Ben was out with injury.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
02-01-2019, 07:25 PM
Were the Broncos favored in that game? I honestly felt after the Indy game there was no stopping this team from getting to the Super Bowl. Indy was the best team in the NFL and we went in their house and dominated them. It was only close cause of a freak fumble by the Bus and the refs screwed the Polamalu INT. I knew the Broncos were going to be toast (and they were) Yep felt the same way and was hoping to play the Pats after that!

Fire Goodell
02-01-2019, 11:56 PM
Yep felt the same way and was hoping to play the Pats after that!

Yeah that was a special team and a special year, I thought we would have taken down the Pats that year as well if we had played them.

86WARD
02-02-2019, 09:22 AM
Belichick gave Cowher some audio/visual lessons??

Good looking out Bill.

teegre
02-02-2019, 10:18 AM
COWHER: I need help...

BELICHICK: Cheat

COWHER: I was thinking more along the lines of X’s & O’s...

pczach
02-02-2019, 01:32 PM
COWHER: I need help...

COWHER: I was thinking more along the lines of X’s & O’s...

https://media.giphy.com/media/wMsD35WIjjUFq/giphy.gif

DesertSteel
02-02-2019, 02:01 PM
I wish they’d fire Tomlin and hire Belichick and maybe we’d win a couple more.

AtlantaDan
02-02-2019, 02:12 PM
Once again Belichick was playing chess while Cowher was playing checkers with Belichick's offer to "help" the Steelers

This from a 2008 article on Belichick's record as Pats coach against Mike Shanahan and the Broncos

Shanahan, Broncos a bane to Belichick

Entering a Monday Night game at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Mass., the Broncos are 5-1 against the Patriots since 2001, when New England won the first of three Super Bowls this decade. The rest of the NFL combined vs. the Pats are 26-102. No other team has a winning record against New England during that span.

https://www.denverpost.com/2008/10/15/shanahan-broncos-a-bane-to-belichick/

Pretty obvious that all Belichick, who had just lost a playoff game to the Broncos the week before, knew he had to offer to Cowher was insights on how to lose to the Broncos and was glad to pass that information along as part of Belichick's nefarious long running campaign to undermine the Steelers by any means necessary. :mad2: :wink02: