PDA

View Full Version : NEWS Cowher Offers Solution On How Steelers Should Handle Situation With Brown

Shoes
01-30-2019, 04:10 PM
With the Super Bowl week now underway in Atlanta, GA you can bet several people doing interviews on radio row these next few days will be asked about what’s going on currently with the Pittsburgh Steelers and specifically when it comes to the situation the team’s going through right now with wide receiver Antonio Brown. On Tuesday, former Steelers head coach Bill Cowher was a guest on the Tiki and Tierney radio show and after first being asked to give his thoughts on Super Bowl LIII, he was asked about the team he used to coach (https://cbssportsradio.radio.com/articles/bill-cowher-offers-solution-steelers-drama-antonio-brown) and what he thinks will and should ultimately happen with Brown.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/cowher-offers-solution-on-how-steelers-should-handle-situation-with-brown/

Mojouw
01-30-2019, 04:21 PM
So, treat everyone like adults and hope they act like ones?

That has essentially been Tomlin's plan since day one.

Born2Steel
01-30-2019, 04:26 PM
:lol:

HollywoodSteel
01-30-2019, 04:40 PM
So, treat everyone like adults and hope they act like ones?

That has essentially been Tomlin's plan since day one.

I don’t think Cowher is suggesting anything novel, but I DO think he’s absolutely right.

The difference I see with his suggestions and with what has happened so far, is that a lack of communication took hold. And what is needed is a regrouping and clarifying of everything.

I don’t fault Tomlin for failing to take time out from football during the season to have clarification meetings (or whatever you want to call this) but that doesn’t mean he shouldn’t have one now.

There’s no reason to destroy this team over stubbornness. It’s okay to massage egos once in awhile if that equates to more Ws and a potential championship.

I do fault Tomlin for not letting AB play in that final game. The outcome had the possibility of meaning too much. I’m not saying AB wasn’t at fault, I’m saying I DON’T CARE WHO WAS AT FAULT. You win the game first; then you can adjust the length of the players’ leashes for maximum productivity in the future.

But I really do believe there has to be a way for grown men to get together and figure it all out going forward because THERE’S TOO MUCH AT STAKE NOT TO.

It doesn’t even matter who was right and who was wrong in the past. All that matters is getting it right to maximize our chances of winning a super bowl next year and beyond.

AtlantaDan
01-30-2019, 06:37 PM
There’s no reason to destroy this team over stubbornness. It’s okay to massage egos once in awhile if that equates to more Ws and a potential championship.

And how many Super Bowl appearances have the Steelers made since AB started acting out with minimal apparent adverse consequences?

I do fault Tomlin for not letting AB play in that final game. The outcome had the possibility of meaning too much. I’m not saying AB wasn’t at fault, I’m saying I DON’T CARE WHO WAS AT FAULT. You win the game first; then you can adjust the length of the players’ leashes for maximum productivity in the future.

So the message to AB and everyone else on the team is no matter what shit you pull you play? Good luck adjusting the “length of the player’s leashes” if AB would have played in week 17

But I really do believe there has to be a way for grown men to get together and figure it all out going forward because THERE’S TOO MUCH AT STAKE NOT TO.

Season ended 5 weeks ago and I have not heard anything remotely like contrition from AB.

He is getting paid to appear for the Super Bowl and sign his name at a sports cap store about 10 minutes from me on Friday. I am tempted to drop by with a Steelers cap and 49ers cap in order to ask him to sign the cap for the team he hopes to be playing for next fall. :stirthepot:

tube517
01-30-2019, 06:57 PM
And how many Super Bowl appearances have the Steelers made since AB started acting out with minimal apparent adverse consequences?

So the message to AB and everyone else on the team is no matter what shit you pull you play? Good luck adjusting the “length of the player’s leashes” if AB would have played in week 17

Season ended 5 weeks ago and I have not heard anything remotely like contrition from AB.

He is getting paid to appear for the Super Bowl and sign his name at a sports cap store about 10 minutes from me on Friday. I am tempted to drop by with a Steelers cap and 49ers cap in order to ask him to sign the cap for the team he hopes to be playing for next fall. :stirthepot:

To really stir the pot, bring a Kangol cap and have him sign it. :chuckle:

vader29
01-30-2019, 07:03 PM
I am tempted to drop by with a Steelers cap and 49ers cap in order to ask him to sign the cap for the team he hopes to be playing for next fall. :stirthepot:

Bring him a JuJu jersey and see if he will sign it for you. :chuckle:

HollywoodSteel
01-30-2019, 07:13 PM

There was no message sent by not playing him that improved the team. The wrong messages had already been sent. Tomlin set the rules. The right message from Tomlin would be, “I screwed up. I won’t make the rest of the team suffer and have to play with one hand behind their back because of it. I’ll fix the situation with AB, but not on game day in a must win. The players and fans are here for championships. I won’t detract from that goal just to teach one player some life lesson that he hasn’t learned yet due to my permissiveness.”

There’s your message.

- - - Updated - - -

And if anyone thinks the reason we haven’t won a super bowl in 10 years is because of AB and his attitude, you are watching a different sport than I am.

AtlantaDan
01-30-2019, 07:36 PM
There was no message sent by not playing him that improved the team. The wrong messages had already been sent. Tomlin set the rules. The right message from Tomlin would be, “I screwed up. I won’t make the rest of the team suffer and have to play with one hand behind their back because of it. I’ll fix the situation with AB, but not on game day in a must win. The players and fans are here for championships. I won’t detract from that goal just to teach one player some life lesson that he hasn’t learned yet due to my permissiveness.”

There’s your message.

The message is Tomlin rather than AB was most responsible for treating AB like a grown man and having AB repeatedly act like a petulant teenager? Got it.

I do not contend AB not playing was appropriate to help make him a better person - I do not care what kind of person he is although FWIW given his behavior after passing 30 years of age (forget football - I am talking furniture tossing along with allegedly stolen cash and firearms) that ship has sailed.

But based on what I have read if Tomlin would have played AB Tomlin would have pissed off some members of the team even more than they were already and dug himself an even deeper hole.

And if anyone thinks the reason we haven’t won a super bowl in 10 years is because of AB and his attitude, you are watching a different sport than I am.

I am saying you appear to contend that “massaging egos” is a small price to pay to keep this crew together when it has not resulted in anything close to a potential championship.

If we were talking a Patriots level of success it would be hard to argue AB should not be given whatever he wants.

But that has not happened - instead Tomlin’s job is on the line for the first time and his method of handling temperamental stars including but not limited to AB is a reason why.

The maxim if it ain’t broke don’t fix it does not apply when it’s broken.

AtlantaDan
01-30-2019, 07:44 PM
To really stir the pot, bring a Kangol cap and have him sign it. :chuckle:

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/GCRjVaJ4mL1uqKR8XAgw7kQi2XE=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/5911347/dramatic.0.gif

Mojouw
01-30-2019, 08:07 PM
Point is that what St. Bill proposed is basically what Tomlin already did and what Tomlin said he needed AB to do to play in Week 17 and to rejoin the team moving forward. But because Cowher said it, Steelers fans get all weak in the knees.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
01-30-2019, 09:10 PM
They should have asked Bill what he thought of the Pro Bowl ? Since he was king of the AFC Pro Bowl coaches.

86WARD
01-31-2019, 06:45 AM

What does the Steelers not making the Super Bowl with AB have to do with anything? Lol. They wouldn’t have made it without him...and they probably would have a couple less playoff appearances. This non-sense about the Steelers not making a Super Bowl with AB it however you want to phrase it is just silly. It’s a lame argument...not singling you out AD, just happen to be the last one to post it, but it’s a silly, silly argument IMO.

teegre
01-31-2019, 06:50 AM
What does the Steelers not making the Super Bowl with AB have to do with anything? Lol. They wouldn’t have made it without him...and they probably would have a couple less playoff appearances. This non-sense about the Steelers not making a Super Bowl with AB it however you want to phrase it is just silly. It’s a lame argument...not singling you out AD, just happen to be the last one to post it, but it’s a silly, silly argument IMO.

On Twitter, every time that AB’s name comes up, someone posts “zero rings.”

As if the entire league wouldn’t kill to have a talent like him at WR. AB is a diva (in EVERY sense of the word), but the “no rings” argument died two decades ago when people placed Trent Dilfer above Dan Marino.

NOTE: Dan, not my intent to single you out, either. Just jumping in on a point that has been bugging me (about Steelers fan’s outlook on AB).

AtlantaDan
01-31-2019, 07:26 AM

If you go back and read the post to which I was responding, I was questioning how further "massaging egos" would be worth it for more wins and "a potential championship" when in the period since the Steelers went all in on their star system and indulging the egos of those stars in 2014 they are 3-4 in the playoffs and by every appearance getting farther away rather than closer to a "potential championship." That is what not making a Super Bowl has to do with it. The Steelers went with a method of trying to get there and it has not achieved its goal. The benefits of continuing to indulge AB are no longer worth the costs as those benefits in all likelihood decrease for an aging receiver who presumably is not thrilled about sharing stats with JuJu and the costs increase as AB engages in trying to top his previous peak in self-indulgent behavior on as well as off the field.

For a more detailed discussion of what it has to do with it, Bouchette ran a good article in the Post-Gazette several weeks ago on how the Steelers by all appearances are going to be forced to get away from that method of operation.

The star system that served as their locomotive for many years is ending....

The window has closed, not necessarily on their ability to win or compete for the playoffs and Super Bowl. It has closed on a star system that drove them for so long. A real window is about to be thrown open. Adding fresh air to the product should benefit it.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2019/01/18/Pittsburgh-Steelers-opening-a-new-kind-of-window/stories/201901180111

But that is just my lame opinion. Are you saying given how great AB has been do not even try to trade him, "massage egos" to try to calm him down and hope for the best in 2019 since they probably would have a couple less playoff appearances without him over the past few years? :noidea:

As if the entire league wouldn’t kill to have a talent like him at WR. AB is a diva (in EVERY sense of the word), but the “no rings” argument died two decades ago when people placed Trent Dilfer above Dan Marino..

If the entire league would kill to have a talent like AB I guess the Steelers main problem will be which of the 31 other teams first round draft picks they should accept in a trade.

Just a wild guess the market for a receiver in his early 30s who acts out on and off the field may not be as robust as one might expect for a player the entire league supposedly would kill to have

Born2Steel
01-31-2019, 07:31 AM
If you go back and read the post to which I was responding, I was questioning how further "massaging egos" would be worth it for more wins and "a potential championship" when in the period since the Steelers went all in on their star system and indulging the egos of those stars in 2014 they are 2-3 in the playoffs and by every appearance getting farther away rather than closer to a "potential championship." That is what not making a Super Bowl has to do with it. The Steelers went with a method of trying to get there and it has not achieved its goal. The benefits of continuing to indulge AB are no longer worth the costs as those benefits in all likelihood decrease for an aging receiver who presumably is not thrilled about sharing stats with JuJu and the costs decrease.

For a more detailed discussion of what it has to do with it, Bouchette ran a good article in the Post-Gazette several weeks ago on how the Steelers by all appearances are going to be forced to get away from that method of operation.

The window has closed, not necessarily on their ability to win or compete for the playoffs and Super Bowl. It has closed on a star system that drove them for so long. A real window is about to be thrown open. Adding fresh air to the product should benefit it.

But that is just my opinion. Are you saying given how great AB has been do not even try to trade him and hope for the best in 2019? :noidea:

If the entire league would kill to have a talent like AB I guess the Steelers main problem will be which of the 31 other teams first round draft picks they should accept in a trade.

Just a wild guess the market for a receiver in his early 30s who acts out on and off the field may not be as robust as one might expect for a player the entire league supposedly would kill to have

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dx2yhfsXcAIewm3.jpg

What is that? A long sleeve jersey? A AB hockey jersey? I can’t tell.

AtlantaDan
01-31-2019, 07:37 AM
What is that? A long sleeve jersey? A AB hockey jersey? I can’t tell.

Looks like some sort of sweatshirt. Just a wild guess it was not on sale December 29.

Born2Steel
01-31-2019, 08:32 AM
Looks like some sort of sweatshirt. Just a wild guess it was not on sale December 29.

I think it’s a hockey jersey. Look at the sleeve ends. Now if I could just find that sale.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-31-2019, 09:45 AM
As if the entire league wouldn’t kill to have a talent like him at WR. AB is a diva (in EVERY sense of the word), but the “no rings” argument died two decades ago when people placed Trent Dilfer above Dan Marino.
).

Yup, the entire "no rings" point is just disgruntled fans that can use that argument to bash on a player they don't like, or bolster the argument that their favorite player is better than somebody else's that doesn't have a championship.

Its kind of 4th grade school yard debating. Like 9 yr old Jacoby Jones kid telling AB's kid that "my dad is better at football than your dad because he won a super bowl".

- - - Updated - - -

I think it’s a hockey jersey. Look at the sleeve ends. Now if I could just find that sale.
I think its a Lids store. See the upper left corner of the picture and there is a L on the perforated aluminum shelving. Good luck, better buy 2. :hatsoff:

AtlantaDan
01-31-2019, 10:15 AM
Yup, the entire "no rings" point is just disgruntled fans that can use that argument to bash on a player they don't like, or bolster the argument that their favorite player is better than somebody else's that doesn't have a championship.

Its kind of 4th grade school yard debating. Like 9 yr old Jacoby Jones kid telling AB's kid that "my dad is better at football than your dad because he won a super bowl".

Because the degree of success a team has experienced with a player on the roster obviously has nothing to do with assessing the costs and benefits of keeping that player on the roster?

The greater the success the greater the hassles a team is willing to put up with (see, e.g., Lawrence Taylor and his two rings). What is tolerable changes as the success of the team, along with the anticipated future productivity of the player, slides and the hassles increase.

At some point the question is whether the costs of dealing with AB are worth the benefits. Unlike some other teams, flying a division championship flag presumably is not regarded by AJR II as an overwhelming accomplishment that justifies putting up with anything.

And it is AJRII's perspective that matters here, not whether fans like or dislike AB as a role model for the youth of America.

86WARD
01-31-2019, 10:33 AM

So I guess the sale on all the Steelers hats falls in line with the Jerseys? Couldn’t be the fact the NFL season is over and sports stores shift inventory to hockey and then baseball...lol

Without much effort, we could probably find that ABs jersey is a best seller. So not sure what 50% off does other than say a store is clearing floor space.

AtlantaDan
01-31-2019, 10:36 AM
So I guess the sale on all the Steelers hats falls in line with the Jerseys? Couldn’t be the fact the NFL season is over and sports stores shift inventory to hockey and then baseball...lol

Without much effort, we could probably find that ABs jersey is a best seller. So not sure what 50% off does other than say a store is clearing floor space.

Take it up with Bouchette who posted the photo

86WARD
01-31-2019, 10:42 AM
Take it up with Bouchette who posted the photo

Again...the media just trying to spin something negative.

And I can’t take it up with him. He’s blocked me on Twitter for questioning him in the past...lol

teegre
02-01-2019, 06:45 AM

I should clarify.

I agree that AB’s actions have/will turn teams off. My comment about him being a “diva” was attempting to acknowledge that fact (albeit, obviously, not clearly enough).

My point of contention (which wasn’t actually your point, but 86Ward’s post reminded me of it) is that Steelers fans are acting like AB’s talent has somehow vanished along with his sanity. For example, on Twitter:

SteelFart79: AB is an insane talent.

SteelDong9393: Pffft... how many rings does AB have???

LloydSweed: Exactly. If he was “so good” he’d have multiple rings.

AbercrombieWasDaGreatest: Plus, AB didn’t even lead the league in yardage. #overrated

As El-Gonzo posted: People have mentioned other WRs who have “rings” (albeit, they did not use Jacoby Jones... which is a great example) as being better than AB.

Julio Jones, Michael Thomas, OBJ, AB, Thielen, Diggs, Hopkins, Tyreek Hill, Keenan Allen, AJ Green... that is pretty much most people’s Top Ten... and... not one ring amongst them. (I’d add JuJu, but AB might read this. LOL)

Again, this is not your point. 86WARD’s post just reminded me of this stone in my craw.

HollywoodSteel
02-01-2019, 07:41 AM

Stop! You’re ruining the narrative!

Don’t you see that this picture of 50% off select styles of jersey PROVES that AB needs to be drawn and quartered for Pittsburgh to be the Patriots? We can’t keep him just because he helps us win and that the team will be objectively worse without him. He’s a diva! Drama!

Just because the ‘77 Steelers had 1000 times more drama and a locker room that Noll completely “lost” (and of course went on to win two more Super Bowls with those exact incredibly talented ego- strokes players) doesn’t mean we should ever keep and deal with incredibly talented players when drama hangs in the balance. This totally out of context picture of what’s going on in one retail store PROVES that point somehow!

Evidence! We can’t have a super star’s ego get stroked! That is the most important thing! If we trade AB it would instantly turn Tomlin into Belichick! That’s what’s been the ONLY important difference between the two coaches! If Tomlin only becomes stricter he’ll CLEARLY get the same results as Belichick! This picture proves that!

- - - Updated - - -

And giving a player the trade he wants after acting out REALLY sets a great precedent! That’s discipline! The bigger the jack ass you are, the more we’ll give YOU the power to dictate what happens to you. What a great message to send to all the other players.

NCSteeler
02-01-2019, 08:08 AM
If you go back and read the post to which I was responding, I was questioning how further "massaging egos" would be worth it for more wins and "a potential championship" when in the period since the Steelers went all in on their star system and indulging the egos of those stars in 2014 they are 3-4 in the playoffs and by every appearance getting farther away rather than closer to a "potential championship." That is what not making a Super Bowl has to do with it. The Steelers went with a method of trying to get there and it has not achieved its goal. The benefits of continuing to indulge AB are no longer worth the costs as those benefits in all likelihood decrease for an aging receiver who presumably is not thrilled about sharing stats with JuJu and the costs increase as AB engages in trying to top his previous peak in self-indulgent behavior on as well as off the field.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2019/01/18/Pittsburgh-Steelers-opening-a-new-kind-of-window/stories/201901180111

But that is just my lame opinion. Are you saying given how great AB has been do not even try to trade him, "massage egos" to try to calm him down and hope for the best in 2019 since they probably would have a couple less playoff appearances without him over the past few years? :noidea:

1089222979660271622Bad news is he's killing any trade value he has everyday on social media.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

NCSteeler
02-01-2019, 08:15 AM
Because the degree of success a team has experienced with a player on the roster obviously has nothing to do with assessing the costs and benefits of keeping that player on the roster?

The greater the success the greater the hassles a team is willing to put up with (see, e.g., Lawrence Taylor and his two rings). What is tolerable changes as the success of the team, along with the anticipated future productivity of the player, slides and the hassles increase.

At some point the question is whether the costs of dealing with AB are worth the benefits. Unlike some other teams, flying a division championship flag presumably is not regarded by AJR II as an overwhelming accomplishment that justifies putting up with anything.

And it is AJRII's perspective that matters here, not whether fans like or dislike AB as a role model for the youth of America.Ah so I see this is just like the crazy hot matrix

Someone should do one for NFL players.

https://youtu.be/ZhVSfIf-Kng

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-01-2019, 09:10 AM

And it is AJRII's perspective that matters here, not whether fans like or dislike AB as a role model for the youth of America.

Thanks AD, for the input, although I don't know anywhere in my post that you quoted where I eluded to cost/benefit analysis of keeping a player on the roster.

I only pointed out the joke of an argument that fans use about "no rings" to debate an individual players value or success in a TEAM sport. I very much doubt that NFL owners, Coaches, GM's value a player on how many rings do they have, when looking to acquire talent in free agency. We can look at the guys available this offseason and see who gets paid the big contracts and if its based on their individual talent, or whether the teams they played on have won super bowls.

I do agree with your inference to LT and his hassles. Lawrence Taylor could be snorting coke off a hookers ass, while driving the getaway car from a liquor store robbery and the Giants would have found a way to bury that. It still wont change the probability that Dee Ford will make a lot of money in the offseason and be highly sought after, due to his pass rush production and not the fact that he doesn't have a SB ring.

AtlantaDan
02-01-2019, 09:25 AM
Thanks AD, for the input, although I don't know anywhere in my post that you quoted where I eluded to cost/benefit analysis of keeping a player on the roster.

I only pointed out the joke of an argument that fans use about "no rings" to debate an individual players value or success in a TEAM sport. I very much doubt that NFL owners, Coaches, GM's value a player on how many rings do they have, when looking to acquire talent in free agency. We can look at the guys available this offseason and see who gets paid the big contracts and if its based on their individual talent, or whether the teams they played on have won super bowls.

I do agree with your inference to LT and his hassles. Lawrence Taylor could be snorting coke off a hookers ass, while driving the getaway car from a liquor store robbery and the Giants would have found a way to bury that. It still wont change the probability that Dee Ford will make a lot of money in the offseason and be highly sought after, due to his pass rush production and not the fact that he doesn't have a SB ring.

I put up my subsequent post to clarify I was not noting AB's lack of rings as some sort of Trent Dilfer is better than Dan Marino argument or denying he still is one of the best receivers in the league.

Just saying if the Steelers were in Atlanta this week for their second or third Super Bowl appearance in the last several years they would be tolerating AB's conduct as that of a "consummate competitor" which "shows how committed he is to winning" and there would be no consideration of whether to blow up anything.

But they are not and after the 2017 season ended with the Jax playoff loss while the 2018 season resulted in late season collapse what is merely aggravating when accompanied with great success potentially becomes intolerable when a team appears to be on a downward slope.

But I do believe AB's conduct over the past year (including the furniture tossing & claims of stolen guns/cash) may have an adverse impact on his trade value, both because some teams may not want the hassle (fewer bidders lessens the chance of a bidding war) while others that are interested may see an opportunity to submit a lowball offer that might be accepted if the Steelers are conducting a going out of business with AB sale.

:drink: