PDA

View Full Version : Burning Questions (01/28/19)

BEERgods225
01-28-2019, 10:33 PM
Just looking for peoples opinions here:

1. IMO, Bell was lost to the team in 2018 but he's still controlled by the teams for now. Q: What do you think happens with him? (If he leaves, where do you think he goes?)

A: He resigns (Or signs with.....)
B: Franchise Tagged at QB money
C: Some form of Conditional Tag (Allowing him to speak to other teams but gives Pittsburgh right of first refusal.)
D: They let him walk and collect a conditional pick in 2020 for his loss

2. Similar Question but of course with AB. He is finally talking to someone with the team and both player and team have stated they could make this work moving forward....however AB would rather start over fresh. If he leaves, where too.

3. What is the state of the OL in the off-season? Gilbert has been injured for some time now and Ramon Foster is a Free Agent. What are your thoughts here?

4. It's been said that Ben is in talks of resigning.

A: What does that mean for Dobbs and Rudolph
B: How much money does that free up under the cap.
1. What kind of cap money are we working with this off-season.

5. Is Bozwell coming back, uncontested, or will someone be brought in to challenge him?

6. What do you view this teams off-season needs are going to be as we move into Combine range of the free agency?

A: Of those Team Needs, which positions are dealt with in Free Agency before the Draft begins in April?

st33lersguy
01-28-2019, 10:46 PM
1. Bell is gone, and they should let him go. He did enough damage by sitting out 2018. Bell ends up a Jet
2. AB is probably gone too, San Fran maybe but I think Denver (who is interested) as Pittsburgh settles for a round 2 pick, a day 3 pick, and some 3rd rate player
3. OL will take a step back with Foster gone Gilbert on the decline and now no more Munchak to turn any OL on the team into quality players
4. Some money, not sure how much money. Dobbs and Rudolph likely remain backups for the remainder of their rookie contract, Ben will keep playing and starting until he wants to retire, even if he severely declines they'll still play him
5. Bos returns but with competition
6. 3 biggest needs CB, OLB, ILB. A: Steelers will sign a 2nd rate guy at 2 of those positions, I'll say CB and ILB

steelreserve
01-28-2019, 11:29 PM
Bell is 99% gone, but I bet they use the tranny tag and see if the only offers he gets are ones they can match.

AB will be on the team, it is foolish for many reasons to let him go over some dumb issue of pride.

Gilbert might as well be gone, he has been dogshit since the PED affair. Possible they resign Foster but depends on the money. 50-50 I'd say. Without Munchak we are likely to see a slow deterioration to pretty-good over the next 2-3 years, and off the cliff when Pouncey Andy
/or DeCastro age out.

Rudolph needs to get a real look as the #2 QB. Can't make an intelligent decision about him, Dobbs, or Ben for that matter until we know whether we have a franchise QB in waiting, or just a guy. 80% it's the latter, those are just the odds, but we need to know.

Boswell will be back with "competition," but it will probably be in name only.

Our biggest needs are: DB coach, LB coach, and a fast ILB who can cover, or a defensive coordinator who will use a safety in that role who doesn't suck at it.

teegre
01-29-2019, 06:42 AM
First question...

1. BELL
ARII is a lawyer. He may fight Bell’s eligibility for free agency. I think he should end up with the Colts. They have enough cap space to pay him $25 million/season. And, Bell would be a deadly outlet for Luck. That said, they’ve declared that they would “never” sign a player like Bell. Uh huh. We’ll see.

steelreserve
01-29-2019, 09:30 AM
First question...

1. BELL
ARII is a lawyer. He may fight Bell’s eligibility for free agency. I think he should end up with the Colts. They have enough cap space to pay him $25 million/season. And, Bell would be a deadly outlet for Luck. That said, they’ve declared that they would “never” sign a player like Bell. Uh huh. We’ll see.

They may have the cap space to pay him $25M, but I don't know why they would do that when they can probably get him for $10-12M.

They are a few pieces away from being a real contender, but blowing it all on a running back is not going to get them there by itself. Especially a running back who is a lunatic likely to be on permanent weed vacation at any point.

I know they have a ridiculous amount of cap space, but without knowing all the details would also assume not all of it is going directly toward free agents.

Packers
01-29-2019, 09:32 AM
It could be worse. My Packers won only 6 games this year.

st33lersguy
01-29-2019, 10:36 AM
It could be worse. My Packers won only 6 games this year.

At least you guys fired McCarthy, though I doubt you are happy with replacing him with the Titans OC

Packers
01-29-2019, 10:47 AM
At least you guys fired McCarthy, though I doubt you are happy with replacing him with the Titans OC
What are you guys thoughts on that hire?

Rotorhead
01-29-2019, 11:34 AM

1. IMO, Bell was lost to the team in 2018 but he's still controlled by the teams for now. Q: What do you think happens with him? (If he leaves, where do you think he goes?)

Transition tag if they have a deal in place before, otherwise just let him go. The only wrench in this is we will possibly lose our 3rd rounder in 2020 if we sign a good FA this year

2. Similar Question but of course with AB. He is finally talking to someone with the team and both player and team have stated they could make this work moving forward....however AB would rather start over fresh. If he leaves, where too.

I think AB is gone, we will get a 1st for him or a top level CB or ILB. SF, Denver or Arizona

3. What is the state of the OL in the off-season? Gilbert has been injured for some time now and Ramon Foster is a Free Agent. What are your thoughts here?

We get rid of Gilbert and Foster, we have their replacements already, but need to draft or FA some quality back ups, we could have used Much for one more season

Ben will be our starter for the next several years, best case is we can use Dobbs or Rudolph as trade bait in the next year or two, the other will be a backup

5. Boz will be back with competition

6. What do you view this teams off-season needs are going to be as we move into Combine range of the free agency?

CB, ILB and OLB (WR if we trade AB) My preference is ILB high in the draft, FA CB (cause we absolutely suck at drafting CB’s)
Ideally we trade AB for Peterson and a high second, then bundle that with our first to move up and get one of the top 2 ILBs and draft a WR in the second. Or if we get SF or Den’s first, draft one of the top 2 ILBs with that pick and a WR with the second and FA the CB.

A: Of those Team Needs, which positions are dealt with in Free Agency before the Draft begins in April?

I think we need to draft the ILB and FA the CB because we suck at picking CBs

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-29-2019, 11:47 AM

He once got Sean McVay a Grande Frappachino from Starbucks, so that qualifies him as the next great Head Coach.

I see it like how the Broncos hired Josh McDaniels because he was OC under Belichek. Hope it works out for you, but I'm not betting on it.

Born2Steel
01-29-2019, 12:23 PM
All the talk about is the window for a championship open or closed. The best chances involve having AB on this team. Lots yet to play out with the Bell situation but if they work a deal with him, that improves the chances also. Ben trusts AB and JuJu. Ben trusts Conner and Bell. Ben trusts McDonald. An offense that utilizes these 5 players efficiently has a great chance.

As of today I trust the OL to be just fine next season. Even if Foster and Gilbert are both cap casualties, we do have replacements available currently. Another utility IOL in this draft would not be a bad idea.

I believe the Steelers will find a CB in FA and draft one as well. I think the first round pick will be one of 3 ILBs, or one of 2 safeties, or one of 5 CBs. BPA.

DL depth is more important, IMO, than OLB this offseason. I would rather see a long term deal get done with Dupree at about $4M per year, than pay the $9M for one more year.

Lots of ways this offseason can go. Everyone has an opinion. Best to be patient and see who this team ends up being at the 53 man cut down.

steelreserve
01-29-2019, 12:57 PM
You know what would be hilarious? If we convinced Bell to take the same deal as last year but with $40M+ in guaranteed money ... and the extra guaranteed money was just the $15 million he didn't make last year and gave back to us in cap space. He might just be brilliant enough to do that and think he "won."

86WARD
01-30-2019, 06:29 AM

A: He resigns (Or signs with.....)
B: Franchise Tagged at QB money
C: Some form of Conditional Tag (Allowing him to speak to other teams but gives Pittsburgh right of first refusal.)
D: They let him walk and collect a conditional pick in 2020 for his loss

A: What does that mean for Dobbs and Rudolph
B: How much money does that free up under the cap.
1. What kind of cap money are we working with this off-season.

5. Is Bozwell coming back, uncontested, or will someone be brought in to challenge him?

1. Team should fight tooth and nail to Tag Bell again at last years tag via arbitration if necessary.

2. Don’t trade AB. They won’t get equal value.

3. State of O-Line with Gilbert and Foster possibly gone is questionable more so because Munch is gone. With Munch, there was very little worry. We will see what the new kid can do...

4. Ben re-signing doesn’t effesct anything roster-wise. I think Rudolph becomes the “long term” 2 and “short term” 3 and Dobbs the 3. Money will be freed up with a Roethlisberger extension. All depends on the contract numbers.

5. Boz will have plenty of competition.

6. There are so many holes in the starting line up and depth that you could almost argue there is some level of need at every position.

st33lersguy
01-30-2019, 11:21 AM

No offense but I do not think it is a good move. The Titans offense was bad this past year

hawaiiansteeler
01-31-2019, 06:05 PM
You know what would be hilarious? If we convinced Bell to take the same deal as last year but with $40M+ in guaranteed money ... and the extra guaranteed money was just the $15 million he didn't make last year and gave back to us in cap space. He might just be brilliant enough to do that and think he "won."

an interesting article about the NYJ and Bell:

The New York Daily News' Manish Mehta reports the Jets will not "break the bank" to sign Le'Veon Bell.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8390/leveon-bell