PDA

View Full Version : Bettis interested in RB coach job ??

Dwinsgames
01-27-2019, 01:53 PM
I am never one to advocate handing a job to someone because they are an " alumni " to the team ....

but posting this because it sounds like he has interests ??

86WARD
01-27-2019, 02:06 PM
I am never one to advocate handing a job to someone because they are an " alumni " to the team ....

but posting this because it sounds like he has interests ??

What’s Willie Parker say?

Born2Steel
01-27-2019, 02:07 PM
If Bettis is actually asking this because he himself doesn't know, then a big fat NO! is the answer.

Otherwise I have no idea how to answer that. I've nothing to base it off of.

Shoes
01-27-2019, 02:24 PM
Didn't they hire a coach for this?

DesertSteel
01-27-2019, 02:38 PM
Isn’t the job taken???? Guy from NC State.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
01-27-2019, 07:33 PM
I'd be okay with it as long as he is not RB/Nutrition coach.

GoSlash27
01-27-2019, 08:40 PM
I'd take Kevin Greene as a LB coach in a heartbeat, but he's a known commodity. Nobody knows if Bettis can coach or not.
Honestly... And I'm not saying this as a joke... I'd rather have Isaac Redman as RB coach. At least he has some coaching experience.

teegre
01-27-2019, 10:15 PM
I hope that none of you are seriously considering allowing Bettis to coach for the Steelers. Really. Because, after ripping Tomlin for having former Steelers as coaches, you cannot just turn around and simply look the other way.

Tomlin is damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t.

SUMMATION:
The coach from NC State has a better resumé.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
01-28-2019, 12:18 AM
I hope that none of you are seriously considering allowing Bettis to coach for the Steelers. Really. Because, after ripping Tomlin for having former Steelers as coaches, you cannot just turn around and simply look the other way.

SUMMATION:
The coach from NC State has a better resumé. But is he a former HOF RB ? Not saying the NC coach isn't the right move! Saying Bettis earns a few credits for that on his resume.

GoSlash27
01-28-2019, 04:50 AM
teegre,
Well... for one thing I am not considering "allowing" anything. The FO doesn't ask my permission. Also, I've never ripped Tomlin for having former Steelers as coaches. :)

teegre
01-28-2019, 06:40 AM
But is he a former HOF RB ? Not saying the NC coach isn't the right move! Saying Bettis earns a few credits for that on his resume.

And, everyone has to “start” somewhere.

I'm just stirring the pot, because just a few weeks ago, people were ripping Tomlin for hiring former Steelers as position coaches (as opposed to “other” coaches).

Michael
01-28-2019, 09:02 AM
Why is this question being asked.? Eddie Faulkner from North Carolina state is the new Running back coach.

Born2Steel
01-28-2019, 11:58 AM
Shift gears for a question.

What style RB do you think the Steelers need to bring in to replace Ridley? Somebody to compliment Conner and Samuel. Either a Bettis style battering ram short yardage type that has the plus of can break off a long run? OR a RB more like a Sproles/Kamara type? With the plus of being able to pass block?

I think I’m leaning more toward the 2nd type. Or bring back Bell to be that.

Mojouw
01-28-2019, 12:10 PM

What style RB do you think the Steelers need to bring in to replace Ridley? Somebody to compliment Conner and Samuel. Either a Bettis style battering ram short yardage type that has the plus of can break off a long run? OR a RB more like a Sproles/Kamara type? With the plus of being able to pass block?

I'm not certain of how to describe the "type". But I do think that it needs to be a back that is a threat to run, catch passes, and pass block anytime they are on the field. Looking at the successful offenses around the league, many do have RB committees. But those multi-RB backfields have worked hard to establish each member as a threat to do it all. That means defenses have a far rougher time reading personnel as a key to the play selection. I by no means am arguing that a 2nd or 3rd RB has to be amazing at all these things, but I think just a pile mover or just a pass catcher is too limiting. Eagles and NE are good examples of multi-member backfields that work. While guys like White and Burkhead are better when asked to catch passes out of the backfield, they can also run the ball pretty decent as well.

Born2Steel
01-28-2019, 12:44 PM
I'm not certain of how to describe the "type". But I do think that it needs to be a back that is a threat to run, catch passes, and pass block anytime they are on the field. Looking at the successful offenses around the league, many do have RB committees. But those multi-RB backfields have worked hard to establish each member as a threat to do it all. That means defenses have a far rougher time reading personnel as a key to the play selection. I by no means am arguing that a 2nd or 3rd RB has to be amazing at all these things, but I think just a pile mover or just a pass catcher is too limiting. Eagles and NE are good examples of multi-member backfields that work. While guys like White and Burkhead are better when asked to catch passes out of the backfield, they can also run the ball pretty decent as well.

Yep, I get that. I guess I see RBs as fitting into a ‘type’. Kind of how WRs can be more slot guys or take the top off guys depending on their best skill set. Not that they can’t do the whole tree just they are naturally better at some routes. Some RBs have SOME shiftiness and quickness but excel at getting the tough yards. Or they possess some power and toughness but are better in the open field. Rare to find guys that do it all equally. Personally I would love to add a RB like Bryce Love or Darrell Henderson that gets into space and is a nightmare to have to chase down. Snell out of KY is maybe the RB in this draft that does it all equally well, just not spectacular at any one ability.

Fire Goodell
01-28-2019, 12:47 PM
I'd be okay with it as long as he is not RB/Nutrition coach.

Eat 20 hot dogs, run forward, profit :chuckle:

Mojouw
01-28-2019, 01:32 PM
Yep, I get that. I guess I see RBs as fitting into a ‘type’. Kind of how WRs can be more slot guys or take the top off guys depending on their best skill set. Not that they can’t do the whole tree just they are naturally better at some routes. Some RBs have SOME shiftiness and quickness but excel at getting the tough yards. Or they possess some power and toughness but are better in the open field. Rare to find guys that do it all equally. Personally I would love to add a RB like Bryce Love or Darrell Henderson that gets into space and is a nightmare to have to chase down. Snell out of KY is maybe the RB in this draft that does it all equally well, just not spectacular at any one ability.

I can see that. I guess I just don't want a guy like say a Rainey or Archer type where his player rating Madden slider is maxed at "shifty with the ball in space" but zeroed out for blocking and running between the tackles.

Also, I can't wait to see what the NFL does when either CJ Anderson or Sony Michel emerges as the hero of the SB with an old-school power running game stat line. I actually fully expect NE to line up in some Power I and 2 TE sets and try and run it right at Donald and Suh. Then play-action off it later...etc. Basically a solid Bill Parcells era Giants game plan. Rams may actually choose to do similar to keep the ball out of Brady's hands.

Then watch the entire draft be about massive OL and I formation backs.

Born2Steel
01-28-2019, 01:51 PM
I can see that. I guess I just don't want a guy like say a Rainey or Archer type where his player rating Madden slider is maxed at "shifty with the ball in space" but zeroed out for blocking and running between the tackles.

Also, I can't wait to see what the NFL does when either CJ Anderson or Sony Michel emerges as the hero of the SB with an old-school power running game stat line. I actually fully expect NE to line up in some Power I and 2 TE sets and try and run it right at Donald and Suh. Then play-action off it later...etc. Basically a solid Bill Parcells era Giants game plan. Rams may actually choose to do similar to keep the ball out of Brady's hands.

Then watch the entire draft be about massive OL and I formation backs.

LOL! May be hitting the nail on the head. I read that against KC the Pats ran 90something offensive snaps. You simply cannot give Bill and Tom that many shots at scoring on you. No wonder an already suspect D was totally gassed by OT.

GoSlash27
01-28-2019, 04:24 PM

I'd go with a Bettis type battering ram. Somebody who picks up 3-5 yards per carry, keeps the chains moving, and wears out defenses. I don't really care if he's a passing threat.

Born2Steel
01-28-2019, 05:08 PM
I'd go with a Bettis type battering ram. Somebody who picks up 3-5 yards per carry, keeps the chains moving, and wears out defenses. I don't really care if he's a passing threat.

One of my favorite Steeler drives EVER is the one against Miami in the playoffs. AB had already scored twice on 2 short passes he turned into long TD runs. Then the Steelers put on a drive where Bell got the ball every play and we moved the chains and completely demoralized the Phins defense. There was nothing they could do to stop Bell on that drive. I think Conner and Samuels could be used in that same way and just dominate TOP. Still need a 3rd guy in that stable though, IMO.

86WARD
01-28-2019, 05:37 PM
They need a James White type. One who can run and catch and play all three downs if Conner gets injured.

BEERgods225
01-28-2019, 09:53 PM

SUMMATION:
The coach from NC State has a better resumé.

That particular article speaks about bringing Bettis back in a "Cheerleader" capacity. Let him do whatever he needs to do to help develop the young players, teach them to live in the NFL, adjust to life in the limelight, and to help add leadership to a franchise that has lost all of theirs since Bettis and Ward left.

It speaks to his performance as an unofficial RB Coach during his final years in the NFL while mentoring Amos Zereoue, Willie Parker, and Duce Staley. Plus his leadership in helping a rookie Ben adjust to life in the NFL and his ability to drive the team to the Superbowl in his final season, just one year after a huge upset loss to Denver in the Playoffs the year prior.

I've been screaming for the team to bring in Hines Ward for the exact same reasons. Plus with JuJu, James Washington and hopefully Riley Ridley this draft we'll have several young player for him to mentor.

It sounds totally homeristic but I wouldn't mind replacing Porter with Greene either at LB coach.... Just saying. I get that not all players can coach but Bettis did it unofficially as a player, Ward has been in our camps working with players before so there has to be some level of comfort there for the team....and Kevin Greene has a track record.

st33lersguy
01-28-2019, 10:38 PM
They have a RBs coach

teegre
01-29-2019, 06:20 AM
Kevin Greene has a track record.

That is huge. Greene has connections to the Steelers AND he’s actually proven himself to be a good coach.

Again, it’s not so much about Bettis, as it is about how suddenly people do not mind a “former Steelers player” being brought in as a coach... when just a few weeks ago, signing “former Steelers players” as coaches was seen as a bad idea.

Let’s revisit this topic in another two weeks... when the pendulum has switched sides once again.

Fire Goodell
01-29-2019, 11:53 AM

Sort of like CJ Anderson, it seems like defenders don't want anything to do with tackling him. The big guy might do some damage in the Super Bowl