PDA

View Full Version : ARTICLESteelers Fifth-Year Option Decision With CB Artie Burns Should Be Easy This Offseason

Shoes
01-24-2019, 04:18 PM
About this same time last year, discussions about whether or not the Pittsburgh Steelers would ultimately pick up the fifth-year option on outside linebacker Bud Dupree later in the spring were starting to heat up. It was a somewhat debatable topic based on Dupree’s performance during his first three seasons in the NFL. While there were several great arguments against the Steelers picking up Dupree’s fifth-year option for the 2019 season, the organization decided it was worth doing just the same. Fast forwarding now to this offseason, the Steelers fifth-year option decision in regards to cornerback Artie Burns should be a much less debatable one. In short, the Steelers should, and likely will, decline exercising it.
https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/steelers-fifth-year-option-decision-with-cb-artie-burns-should-be-easy-this-offseason/

steelreserve
01-24-2019, 05:24 PM
I don't know, based on the Dupree situation, I'd say we have a real love affair with first-round picks who have sucked fuckin' shit for their first three seasons.

Hey, maybe in his fourth year, Burns can show modest improvement - not actually become a good player, but do just enough to meet the minimum level of making the front office wonder. Then we can talk ourselves into paying like $12 million for a guy whose best performance has been backup level, and see just how high a dollar amount we can push the "but you can't get a better replacement for that amount of money!" argument before everyone in the league just breaks out laughing hysterically.

GoSlash27
01-24-2019, 05:44 PM
I'll wave off on all arguments about whether Burns is incapable of learning, the Steelers are incapable of teaching, or anything in between. The fact remains that the two of them in conjunction is a train wreck. We cannot afford to have that guy attempting to cover receivers for the Steelers.

hawaiiansteeler
01-24-2019, 06:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o19CaOSuD8

st33lersguy
01-24-2019, 07:19 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they exercised his option sadly.
That's the beauty of drafting raw athletes, you can always convince yourself that he will turn the corner next season

steelreserve
01-24-2019, 07:29 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they exercised his option sadly.
That's the beauty of drafting raw athletes, you can always convince yourself that he will turn the corner next season

And that, right there, summarizes the Pittsburgh Steelers defense.

Edman
01-24-2019, 07:40 PM
Artie Burns and Bud Dupree are excellent athletes. But are raw and need coaching to bring out the best in them. The Steelers do not have that. At least on the Defensive side, so we have two first round duds.

They will never amount to anything here beyond what we have already seen.

FrancoLambert
01-24-2019, 07:41 PM
Based on past performance it should be a definite “no.”

But we still have Danny Smith so go figure.

pczach
01-25-2019, 04:43 AM
He doesn't deserve that amount of money. I say they shouldn't use the fifth-year option on Burns.

If they signed him back for a much lower salary after he hits the market...that would make more sense. I don't see any team giving him a big contract based on his performance.

zulater
01-25-2019, 07:30 AM
Dupree has flashed good at times. He's not what he was drafted to be but I think he's proven to be an NFL caliber player. A decent starter. At the right price I would be fine with him coming back as the starting LOLB again next season. We have enough other holes to address.

But Artie Burns is another story. He looked decent at times as a rookie. Never saw any development in his 2nd season as you would have expected. Then last season he played the worst corner I've ever seen played in Pittsburgh! And that's saying something when you consider the quality ( or lack thereof) of play the Steelers have received from their corners for the past 30 years! I mean he was Steve Blass 1973 bad! He looked totally lost out there physically, and mentally. To his credit I don't think he ever quit on the team. He played pretty well on special teams. But there's no way I see them exercise that 5th year option on his contract! If he goes through free agency and doesn't hear an offer he likes I think I might bring him back at vet minimum if he was interested. I think he was enough of a positive on special teams to do that. Plus he knows your system and maybe he would have that breakthrough next season? But those are lottery odds that happens. I'm going to go with the idea that Artie's done in Pgh.

Fire Goodell
01-25-2019, 09:02 PM
I don't know, based on the Dupree situation, I'd say we have a real love affair with first-round picks who have sucked fuckin' shit for their first three seasons.

Hey, maybe in his fourth year, Burns can show modest improvement - not actually become a good player, but do just enough to meet the minimum level of making the front office wonder. Then we can talk ourselves into paying like $12 million for a guy whose best performance has been backup level, and see just how high a dollar amount we can push the "but you can't get a better replacement for that amount of money!" argument before everyone in the league just breaks out laughing hysterically.

Usually happens when you have 'raw but talented' players, they take a while longer to catch on. But in Dupree's case, he has shown improvement especially this year. Burns on the other hand, was the opposite. Looked promising in his first year which then took a sharp trajectory downward. I really wanted to see Burns succeed and was always hoping he'd turn it around. But doesn't look like it's going to happen. Like many other players who got by on raw talent, he hit a wall in the NFL. Takes more than talent to succeed in this league.

steelreserve
01-25-2019, 11:41 PM
Usually happens when you have 'raw but talented' players, they take a while longer to catch on. But in Dupree's case, he has shown improvement especially this year. Burns on the other hand, was the opposite. Looked promising in his first year which then took a sharp trajectory downward. I really wanted to see Burns succeed and was always hoping he'd turn it around. But doesn't look like it's going to happen. Like many other players who got by on raw talent, he hit a wall in the NFL. Takes more than talent to succeed in this league.

I agree 100% with your assessment of the Burns situation ... with Dupree while he's improved a bit, I still don't think it's that much. Some people say he's a "solid" starter; the only solid thing I would call him is a solid "meh."

Like, ok, so he doesn't let opposing linemen lead him outside and easily block him out of the play quite as much anymore. Congratulations, you're no longer a laughingstock, and it only took four years. Now what else you got to actually be considered "good?" Maybe cause disruption on a regular basis like your teammate on the other side? Oh, wait, you mean you just started having your modest success when that other guy showed up and opponents started paying more attention to him than you? What a crazy co-inky-dink, I'm sure it's all you and we should pay you like you're awesome.