PDA

View Full Version : Mason Rudolph has no doubts about why he was drafted - ‘to be the quarterback of the Pittsburgh Steelers one day’

Shoes
01-23-2019, 12:31 PM
I think he will be the #2 in 2019 but you have to wonder what they will do with Dobbs

He may not have seen the field in 2018, but Mason Rudolph is already looking forward to next season.
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/1/23/18193881/mason-rudolph-has-no-doubts-about-why-he-was-drafted-to-be-the-quarterback-of-the-steelers-one-day

Rotorhead
01-23-2019, 01:52 PM
Dobbs will be the #3 if Mason moves to #2, we have him under contract, what is there to wonder about?

Shoes
01-23-2019, 01:58 PM
Dobbs will be the #3 if Mason moves to #2, we have him under contract, what is there to wonder about?

They could trade him.

steelreserve
01-23-2019, 02:18 PM
It doesn't cost us anything to keep Dobbs around as a backup. Doesn't really help us either, but it's one less roster spot to fill. If we got rid of him, we'd have to go find someone else to be the #3 QB, and chances are that person wouldn't be very good.

Shoes
01-23-2019, 02:26 PM
It doesn't cost us anything to keep Dobbs around as a backup. Doesn't really help us either, but it's one less roster spot to fill. If we got rid of him, we'd have to go find someone else to be the #3 QB, and chances are that person wouldn't be very good.

True, and that's probably how go but Dobbs and Rudolph don't strike me as guys satisfied playing 3rd fiddle.

Born2Steel
01-23-2019, 05:56 PM
I do not believe Rudolph is the next franchise. I do believe Rudolph has a better shot than Dobbs. I was not very excited about either pick. Maybe I will feel differently after 4 preseason games. I’m still in the camp that the Steelers go as Ben goes.

Things that bug me about Rudolph include his 80something sacks taken in 3 seasons at OkState(not counting his freshman year). You guys think maybe Ben holds the ball too long? Add in the scrambling ability of a Dan Marino and this bothers me even more at the NFL level. Rudolph has incredible touch on his mid to long range passes but lacks any consistency in screens and short yardage plays.

I think he was selected to be the future QB for the post Ben Steelers. I’m just not on board with that yet.

steelreserve
01-23-2019, 06:42 PM
True, and that's probably how go but Dobbs and Rudolph don't strike me as guys satisfied playing 3rd fiddle.

One of them will be gone once his contract is up, no doubt about it. Until then, we've got both of them for cheap, so might as well take advantage of that.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
01-23-2019, 07:48 PM
I'm not ready to throw in the towel on Dobbs yet. Steelers are in a good situation having two young promising QB's waiting in the wings

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
01-23-2019, 07:56 PM
Dobbs will be the #3 if Mason moves to #2, we have him under contract, what is there to wonder about? Who is to say Dobbs don't keep the 2 spot ?

st33lersguy
01-23-2019, 09:00 PM
A solid offensive system can help elevate QB. Look at Jared Goff. I think they need to find an offensive genius

DesertSteel
01-23-2019, 09:54 PM
I think Rudolph has more potential than any of the QBs coming out this year. In the end, MR will be seen as a 3rd round steal.

Shoes
01-23-2019, 10:35 PM
I think Rudolph has more potential than any of the QBs coming out this year. In the end, MR will be seen as a 3rd round steal.

My feelings exactly.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-24-2019, 12:29 AM
I do not believe Rudolph is the next franchise. I do believe Rudolph has a better shot than Dobbs. I was not very excited about either pick. Maybe I will feel differently after 4 preseason games. I’m still in the camp that the Steelers go as Ben goes.

Things that bug me about Rudolph include his 80something sacks taken in 3 seasons at OkState(not counting his freshman year). You guys think maybe Ben holds the ball too long? Add in the scrambling ability of a Dan Marino and this bothers me even more at the NFL level. Rudolph has incredible touch on his mid to long range passes but lacks any consistency in screens and short yardage plays.

I think he was selected to be the future QB for the post Ben Steelers. I’m just not on board with that yet.

Interesting about the 80 sacks. It could be a function of his O line or the type of plays the offense ran, but we know that OK St. threw the ball a lot so Rudolph had lots of opportunity to get sacked.

the thing I didn't like about him is that his accuracy isn't the greatest and he tends to sail footballs high at times. I could be wrong, but I see times when he moves from option to option and doesn't move his base well, so he ends up throwing with more arm and he drives his left hand forward earlier, so he throws with mostly just right arm and shoulder. It looks like a hitch. But, when in rhythm, he drives off his back foot and the left hand stays on the ball longer and it looks like a good delivery.

I like Rudolph's attitude, work ethic, drive, arm strength, and ability to throw the deep ball as you say. The one thing that looked wonky was that delivery, which IMO causes some errant passes and inconsistency. If he cleans it up, I think he can be a Kirk Cousins type player, or Jeff Blake QB. Somebody that can be productive, but not sure if he is good enough to carry a franchise. That being said, Brad Johnson, Doug Williams, Trent Dilfer, Nick Foles all have Super Bowl rings, so maybe he can be good enough.