PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Jeremiah's top 50 prospects for 2019 NFL Draft 1.0

Shoes
01-23-2019, 10:18 AM
Here is the first edition of Daniel Jeremiah's top 50 prospects for the 2019 NFL Draft (http://www.nfl.com/draft). Heights and weights mentioned are via school measurements

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001012558/article/daniel-jeremiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2019-nfl-draft-10

Rotorhead
01-23-2019, 01:41 PM
Not very deep at either ILB or CB in this list, looks like our beat shot is ILB in the first and a good FA CB the. WR in the 2nd (assuming we lose AB).
Or trade AB for a top CB, draft an ILB in the first and a WR in the second.

teegre
01-23-2019, 10:07 PM
IMO, it’s the top two (Bosa & Williams)... and then, a huge drop off. Three through thirty are all about the same... and not “that much” better than the next thirty.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-25-2019, 05:17 PM
I think there will be some good football players at #20. The names DJ has like Irv Smith TE, Devin Bush, LB, Montrez Sweat Edge rusher, Noah Fant TE.... all could be good additions to the Steelers.

I also kind of like what I saw in the bowl game from the Vandy CB JoeJuwan Williams that is ranked #47. Have to see how he runs a 40, but I liked his coverage skills, although I think he is a junior, so might take a year or 2 before we see him grab a starting job in the NFL.

DesertSteel
01-26-2019, 08:59 AM
The QBs at the top of this draft remind me of the Locker/Gabbert/Ponder draft of 2011............ I like Mason Rudolph over every single guy coming out this year being projected in R1.

teegre
01-26-2019, 09:51 AM
The QBs at the top of this draft remind me of the Locker/Gabbert/Ponder draft of 2011............ I like Mason Rudolph over every single guy coming out this year being projected in R1.

Will Grier had some good practices at the Senior Bowl. Plus, he has the physical assets (arm-strength in particular) that will get him drafted at the very end of R1.

The thing with Grier is that when the pressure is on, he chokes. Five NFL scouts headed up to Morgantown to watch him play... and, he responded by throwing four INTs.

NCSteeler
01-26-2019, 03:20 PM
The QBs at the top of this draft remind me of the Locker/Gabbert/Ponder draft of 2011............ I like Mason Rudolph over every single guy coming out this year being projected in R1.Might be a good year to trade Dobbs or Mason for a good pick.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

HollywoodSteel
01-26-2019, 03:52 PM
Might be a good year to trade Dobbs or Mason for a good pick.

No one is going to trade for Dobbs. And what do you think you can get for Rudolph? It would have to be at least a 2 or we look really stupid. We actually look dumb if we don’t get a 1 for him since we claim he had a first round grade on him.

I would certainly trade him for the corner in Jacksonville. As long as we commit to keeping AB and we’re in win now mode. No worrying about a post Ben era for another year at least. But is Rudolph considered that good by the rest of the NFL? Is he really a better prospect than ANY QB in this draft?

I’d love to do that and then sign multiple linebackers in the draft.
If the Steelers can pull something like that off they go to serious super bowl contenders overnight.

But If Jacksonville is smart they’ll sign Flacco. He’s one of those guys who could make a huge comeback on the right team.

HollywoodSteel
01-26-2019, 04:06 PM
I think there will be some good football players at #20. The names DJ has like Irv Smith TE, Devin Bush, LB, Montrez Sweat Edge rusher, Noah Fant TE.... all could be good additions to the Steelers.

I also kind of like what I saw in the bowl game from the Vandy CB JoeJuwan Williams that is ranked #47. Have to see how he runs a 40, but I liked his coverage skills, although I think he is a junior, so might take a year or 2 before we see him grab a starting job in the NFL.

And only three years of totally sucking before being considered a total bust if we draft him. ;)

I understand the whole BPA thing but if we draft a TE in round 1 I’ll be pissed. We have Mcdonald. He is a fine weapon if we decide to use him more in the pass game. I’d like to go defense in the first two rounds, and you start looking for BPA in round three.

As long as we hold onto AB we are fine offensively going into 2019. Once you get to round three and four you look for the steals at TE and Oline and WR.

But I’d be happy taking a CB in the first (or trading for one) and then taking all LBs for the rest of the draft :)

NCSteeler
01-26-2019, 04:07 PM
We m just saying I the QB class coming out is bad, and there are a few desperate teams maybe someone is willing to take a risk on a trade

hawaiiansteeler
01-26-2019, 04:11 PM

Nfldraftscout has Williams listed as running a 4.58 so he will need to improve on that at the Combine.

http://nfldraftscout.com/position-rankings/

HollywoodSteel
01-26-2019, 04:20 PM
IMO, it’s the top two (Bosa & Williams)... and then, a huge drop off. Three through thirty are all about the same... and not “that much” better than the next thirty.

If that’s the case, and I don’t doubt you, I would love to trade our #1 for Peterson or the kid in Jacksonville rather than drafting a corner just to send him to the Arty Burns school of development.

Or are you possibly suggesting we trade down? I don’t love that idea in general because I think we need quality over quantity right now.

I am actually quite optimistic for our 2019 team if we can just put a great CB opposite Haden and get a real stud or two at LB.

And if we lose Burnett, what about Marcus Allen at dime linebacker? Isn’t that what he’s built for?

I’m actually really optimistic that Edmunds can be a breakout stud in year two given how much starting experience he got as a rookie.

It’s really all about that 2nd CB being a sure thing and we can only do that via trade.

st33lersguy
01-26-2019, 05:02 PM
Knowing the trend, it will likely be 2nd round raw athlete at pick 20

HollywoodSteel
01-26-2019, 05:16 PM
Knowing the trend, it will likely be 2nd round raw athlete at pick 20

Do you mean you think the Steelers specifically will reach, or do you mean that the draft class in general is bad, in the sense that the BPA at #20 this year will be more of what we see as a 2nd round grade most years?

st33lersguy
01-26-2019, 05:18 PM
Do you mean you think the Steelers specifically will reach, or do you mean that the draft class in general is bad, in the sense that the BPA at #20 this year will be more of what we see as a 2nd round grade most years?

They'll probably reach for another raw athlete

GoSlash27
01-26-2019, 05:24 PM
As per usual, the Steelers will draft whoever they consider the best player on the board even if they don't need him.
This list puts Hockenson as the #1 TE prospect ahead of Fant. While I *personally* agree with that, I don't think most scouts do. I'd expect Fant to go first.

If Hockenson is available, I won't gripe even though I don't think we need another TE.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-27-2019, 12:14 AM
Nfldraftscout has Williams listed as running a 4.58 so he will need to improve on that at the Combine.

http://nfldraftscout.com/position-rankings/

I always love how that site has 40 times up of guys that are college juniors and have not run at a combine or pro day.

That being said, I still think Williams runs a 4.5. He doesn't look like a guy with long speed, but always seems to be around his receiver. But for reference Richard Sherman ran a 4.56 at his combine.

NCSteeler
01-27-2019, 05:49 AM

http://nfldraftscout.com/position-rankings/IDC what he runs if his coverage is good and the tape tells the tale. BUT I know the Steelers are the new Al Davis and they are enamored with speed and physically gifted players over a guy that actually put on tape the ability to play football. So I say he's a no for Mike

BlackAndGold
01-27-2019, 05:55 AM
Four round mock.

1. Mack Wilson, ILB, Alabama
2. Iman Marshall, CB, USC
3. Jaylon Ferguson, OLB, Louisiana Tech
4. David Sills, WR, West Virginia.

HollywoodSteel
01-27-2019, 09:25 AM

In 2011 there was Cam Newton, then a bunch of busts. But at the time people had high hopes for guys like Locker and Gabbert. It’s not future results that matter, just perception. If teams actually believe that Rudolph is better than any QB in the draft, we could get a first round pick for him. But if not, he isn’t worth trading.

And right now seems like a time when most teams believe they have their QB of the present at least. Only Jacksonville REALLY needs a QB now, and I think they’d be better off with Flacco than a high first round pick.

I guess Washington might need someone, depending on how bad the injury is Smith.

Then you have teams who might be looking to the future like the Giants and Patriots and Saints. San Diego?

But none of those teams NEED to give up a first rounder for their QB if the guy isn’t there this year.

The only trade that I’d do in a heartbeat that is remotely possible is Rudolph for Jaylen Ramsey, but we’d probably have to throw in something else since Ramsey is a proven stud. I think the Jags would be fools to trade him though.

teegre
01-27-2019, 10:45 AM
IDC what he runs if his coverage is good and the tape tells the tale. BUT I know the Steelers are the new Al Davis and they are enamored with speed and physically gifted players over a guy that actually put on tape the ability to play football. So I say he's a no for Mike

Burns and Dupree I’ll give you. Shazier, too.

But, Watt, JuJu, Conner, Sutton, Davis, Hilton, Hargrave, Tuitt... heck, even AB & Bell did not have elite numbers.

btw: Matakevich is the perfect example of a guy who “can play” but, does not have elite athleticism.

NCSteeler
01-27-2019, 01:03 PM
Burns and Dupree I’ll give you. Shazier, too.

But, Watt, JuJu, Conner, Sutton, Davis, Hilton, Hargrave, Tuitt... heck, even AB & Bell did not have elite numbers.

btw: Matakevich is the perfect example of a guy who “can play” but, does not have elite athleticism.

Well Watt to me was a no brain pick. The rest of those guys were not first day picks. When it gets to 20 if there is no obvious future all pro the Steelers will draft an athlete who they can coach up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

teegre
01-27-2019, 02:42 PM
Well Watt to me was a no brain pick. The rest of those guys were not first day picks. When it gets to 20 if there is no obvious future all pro the Steelers will draft an athlete who they can coach up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Okay... so, who are the “obvious future all pros” that the Steelers should draft at 20?

pczach
01-27-2019, 03:04 PM
Okay... so, who are the “obvious future all pros” that the Steelers should draft at 20?

I'm going to make a list to make sure the Steelers draft several of them.

Born2Steel
01-27-2019, 03:26 PM

I sat up a bit straighter in my chair as well after reading that. I would love to have the ability to know the "obvious future all pros".

Wasn't Watt considered 'raw' at his defensive position with only one year playing it? Wonder what made that "no brain pick" fall all the way to #30.

HollywoodSteel
01-27-2019, 03:46 PM

Antonio Brown.

If they trade him for any pick, whatever that pick is, they should trade it for Antonio Brown.

No brainer SURE THING future all pro! Better than ANY two players in this draft combined!

Man, what an incredible steal that use of a pick would be. But no team in the NFL would be stupid enough to trade that guy for some dart at a dartboard draft pick.

These GMs don’t get paid to be that stupid. :)

Mojouw
01-27-2019, 04:31 PM
I sat up a bit straighter in my chair as well after reading that. I would love to have the ability to know the "obvious future all pros".

Wasn't Watt considered 'raw' at his defensive position with only one year playing it? Wonder what made that "no brain pick" fall all the way to #30.

I bet if we dredged up the draft thread we would find that based on this boards own discussions, Watt was not viewed as a no brained future all pro kind of pick.

Born2Steel
01-27-2019, 04:40 PM
I bet if we dredged up the draft thread we would find that based on this boards own discussions, Watt was not viewed as a no brained future all pro kind of pick.

I really don't think he was. There were some people on here absolutely jumping up and down screaming to draft Watt. There were also just as many posting trust issues with picking a guy that had only one year at the position. I think the draft played out to that way of thinking exactly when Watt fell to the Steelers at #30.

st33lersguy
01-27-2019, 05:02 PM

I know some didn't like it but he was the top of my board

NCSteeler
01-27-2019, 08:55 PM
Okay... so, who are the “obvious future all pros” that the Steelers should draft at 20?Well since I don't get paid millions of dollars to scout talent I'll leave that up to Tomlin and Colbert

Shoes
01-27-2019, 09:19 PM

I was sold on TJ Watt, now I'm sold on TJ Hockenson. :chuckle:

teegre
01-27-2019, 10:05 PM
Well since I don't get paid millions of dollars to scout talent I'll leave that up to Tomlin and Colbert

SMH

“The Steelers should do this differently, and this differently, and this differently...”

“How would you suggest they do it?”

“Uh... that’s not my job.”

Okay. Let’s make this simpler for you. Instead of Artie Burns, which “obvious future all pro” would you have taken instead? You have the benefit of hindsight, to offset the “not paid millions of dollars” excuse.

But, remember, whomever you choose HAS to be a corner (otherwise the Steelers fan base will rip you to shreds) and it can NOT be anyone who is raw.

Xavien Howard. EHGG!!! Wrong!!! He was a project (and, “raw” players are no-no).

Kendall Fuller. EHGG!!! Wrong again!!! He was coming off of an injury. (Too risky.)

Mackensie Alexander. EHGG!!! Way wrong!!! He’s not a boundary corner AND he had an attitude problem (a trait which Tomlin cannot seemto handle).

Shoes
01-27-2019, 11:12 PM
Can TJ Hockenson block?

:nod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAWGR4PdTSg

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-27-2019, 11:59 PM
SMH

“The Steelers should do this differently, and this differently, and this differently...”

Okay. Let’s make this simpler for you. Instead of Artie Burns, which “obvious future all pro” would you have taken instead? You have the benefit of hindsight, to offset the “not paid millions of dollars” excuse.

But, remember, whomever you choose HAS to be a corner (otherwise the Steelers fan base will rip you to shreds) and it can NOT be anyone who is raw.

Xavien Howard. EHGG!!! Wrong!!! He was a project (and, “raw” players are no-no).

Kendall Fuller. EHGG!!! Wrong again!!! He was coming off of an injury. (Too risky.)

Mackensie Alexander. EHGG!!! Way wrong!!! He’s not a boundary corner AND he had an attitude problem (a trait which Tomlin cannot seemto handle).

I personally liked Fuller better than Burns, but he was only going to carry a 2nd or 3rd round grade. Burns looked like a 3rd to 5th round pick to me. His INT's in college were from poor QB throws and cheating off his responsibilities...not due to great coverage and his Combine workout looked awkward in change of direction, backpedal and hip turn. So it could have freed the Steelers up to take somebody like Vonn Bell, A'Shawn Robinson, Hunter Henry, Myles Jack, Reggie Ragland.

Honestly, I thought the talk was Vonn Bell as the top safety, so if the Steelers took Vonn Bell and Kendall Fuller instead of Artie Burns and Sean Davis...….I would think that would be a better secondary draft.

I agree with your notion that a lot of posters like to use hindsight to complain about a draft, but didn't have the answers back then anyway.

teegre
01-28-2019, 06:44 AM
I personally liked Fuller better than Burns, but he was only going to carry a 2nd or 3rd round grade. Burns looked like a 3rd to 5th round pick to me. His INT's in college were from poor QB throws and cheating off his responsibilities...not due to great coverage and his Combine workout looked awkward in change of direction, backpedal and hip turn. So it could have freed the Steelers up to take somebody like Vonn Bell, A'Shawn Robinson, Hunter Henry, Myles Jack, Reggie Ragland.

Honestly, I thought the talk was Vonn Bell as the top safety, so if the Steelers took Vonn Bell and Kendall Fuller instead of Artie Burns and Sean Davis...….I would think that would be a better secondary draft.

I agree with your notion that a lot of posters like to use hindsight to complain about a draft, but didn't have the answers back then anyway.

I was enamored with Burns’s backstory: mom & dad both out of the picture; Burns left to raise his teenage brothers by himself; and, sort of “needing” to enter the draft (a year too early) in order to support his family.

SUMMATION:
My heart liked that pick more than my brain.

Note: I was all about Karl Joseph. When he got drafted, I was absolutely fine with the Burns pick.
http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/the-meandering-thoughts-of-an-indecisive-steelers-mock-drafter/

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-28-2019, 08:32 AM
I was enamored with Burns’s backstory: mom & dad both out of the picture; Burns left to raise his teenage brothers by himself; and, sort of “needing” to enter the draft (a year too early) in order to support his family.

SUMMATION:
My heart liked that pick more than my brain.

Note: I was all about Karl Joseph. When he got drafted, I was absolutely fine with the Burns pick.
http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/the-meandering-thoughts-of-an-indecisive-steelers-mock-drafter/

After seeing the Combine workout and watching some video on Burns I was saying for weeks that I didn't think he was anything more than a 4th round pick, maybe 3rd due to measurables. When drafted I thought it was a mistake and even had posters point out to me that KC apparently wanted to trade up and get Burns, to justify their love of the Burns pick. Once a Steeler, I hoped he would turn out to be great and I would be wrong.

Point is, I don't think reaching for a guy because of need(especially one with more "potential" than proven work) can often lead to a miss, rather than taking the best football player at another less important position.

teegre
01-28-2019, 08:35 AM
If that’s the case, and I don’t doubt you, I would love to trade our #1 for Peterson or the kid in Jacksonville rather than drafting a corner just to send him to the Arty Burns school of development.

Or are you possibly suggesting we trade down? I don’t love that idea in general because I think we need quality over quantity right now.

I am actually quite optimistic for our 2019 team if we can just put a great CB opposite Haden and get a real stud or two at LB.

And if we lose Burnett, what about Marcus Allen at dime linebacker? Isn’t that what he’s built for?

I’m actually really optimistic that Edmunds can be a breakout stud in year two given how much starting experience he got as a rookie.

It’s really all about that 2nd CB being a sure thing and we can only do that via trade.

1. As everyone knows, I’m all aboard for trading AB for an established CB... Ramsey, Peterson, Howard. (Because, no draft pick is a “sure thing”.)

2. My post is really more of an observation about this draft.

HollywoodSteel
01-28-2019, 08:50 AM
1. As everyone knows, I’m all aboard for trading AB for an established CB... Ramsey, Peterson, Howard. (Because, no draft pick is a “sure thing”.)

2. My post is really more of an observation about this draft.

I meant that I’d love to trade our #1 for Peterson or Ramsey. Or even trade Rudolph for Ramsey if Jacksonville is willing to believe that Rudolph is better than any QB in this draft class. I’d even throw in some pick along with Rudolph for Ramsey, but I realize this scenario is just a fantasy.

But trade AB? Every fiber of my being is against trading him if we can help it. The way the NFL looks right now, I think win now mode is the attitude to have. I hate the idea of dismantling for some uncertain future. I want to keep the pieces that work and add MORE pieces that work. Not swap them out for each other.

NCSteeler
01-28-2019, 08:57 AM
SMH

Mackensie Alexander. EHGG!!! Way wrong!!! He’s not a boundary corner AND he had an attitude problem (a trait which Tomlin cannot seemto handle).Listen it's quite simple I'm a fan. I don't get paid to love the Steelers . Fans critique, it's what we do. I'm rarely correct but ya know what like I said I'm a fan I don't get paid millions of dollars to figure this crap out, BUT I know crap when I see it. How am I supposed to know what draft pick to take, they interview these young men, they work them but they talk to all the coaches. Not me. I don't even know if burns is a bust it he's been poorly coached, heck our secondary play over the last few years would make me think it's coaching

SteelMember
01-28-2019, 03:24 PM
As our 1st rounder, I agree with B&G. We need ILB and we'll obviously be out of the mix for a Devin. White, no chance. Bush... probably be close. A pick or two before 20, so that leaves us reaching a little with the 3rd ranked ILB on most boards, Mack Wilson. I probably like the CB of either DeAndre Baker or Greedy Williams as far as need/value a little more at this spot, but no denying ILB is an issue for us. If Devin Bush should fall a little, he's the best option with his speed/cover abilities we've been lacking.

Born2Steel
01-28-2019, 03:38 PM
As our 1st rounder, I agree with B&G. We need ILB and we'll obviously be out of the mix for a Devin. White, no chance. Bush... probably be close. A pick or two before 20, so that leaves us reaching a little with the 3rd ranked ILB on most boards, Mack Wilson. I probably like the CB of either DeAndre Baker or Greedy Williams as far as need/value a little more at this spot, but no denying ILB is an issue for us. If Devin Bush should fall a little, he's the best option with his speed/cover abilities we've been lacking.

I would be happy with White, Bush, or Wilson. They all upgrade what we have going on currently. Also, you notice all the top CBs have that “lack of top end speed”? There are still roughly 5or6 I could be happy with.

BlackAndGold
01-28-2019, 09:00 PM
https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/2019-nfl-draft-player-profiles-alabama-lb-mack-wilson/

Mack Wilson is one hell of a player. He would be the Shaizer replacement.

teegre
01-29-2019, 06:36 AM
Four round mock.

1. Mack Wilson, ILB, Alabama
2. Iman Marshall, CB, USC
3. Jaylon Ferguson, OLB, Louisiana Tech
4. David Sills, WR, West Virginia.

What is interesting is that about a month ago, those top three players were all listed as R1 picks. I understand that the draft is a fluid process, wherein players rise and fall constantly (even as late as during the draft)... but, it’s a helluva group.

Wilson is solid. ‘Bama produces rock-solid players. Occasionally, they get worn out by Saban, but generally, what you get is a few years (minimum) of an NFL-ready player.

Marshall is all over the place. After Greedy Williams and DeAndre Baker, the third CB is like choosing a favorite flavor of ice cream: most like the same basic flavors (Murphy) but a few prefer sorbet (Marshall). Right now, Marshall is more of a R2 guy (spot on)... but, I wouldn’t surprise me if he rose into R1 or dropped back into R3.

Ferguson is another example of a player rising and dropping and then rising... He was a late-round prospect who propelled himself into the limelight a month ago, when he was listed as a “top ten” pick by Daniel Jeremiah (or, some other draft analyst). It appears that Ferguson has settled in to more of a Day 2 pick. For now. LOL

And... Sills. :nod: