PDA

View Full Version : How Do They Replace AB ?

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
01-23-2019, 02:51 AM
Just my thoughts if AB is traded! Grab Larry Fitzgerald in free agency and draft a deep burner WR in the 2nd or 3rd round that can catch. My second option draft a top TE very early and lots of two tight end sets with him and McDonald. I prefer my first option cause I think a speedy go deep wr was missed this year in this offense. Would love to hear others thoughts!!!!

86WARD
01-23-2019, 06:26 AM
You replace him with AB. He’s still on the roster and nothing has changed yet. Otherwise, you can’t and the person aside from Ben that will most likely suffer the most will be McDonald. The most you can hope for us that ABs production is distributed close to what his was...

When was the last time a rookie TE came into the league and dominated? That’s pretty much what would need to happen to even begin to replace AB. You can’t waste a draft pick on a TE in the first two rounds...not with how many holes this team has on Defense, Offense and depth.

01-23-2019, 06:48 AM
I agree keep AB but if traded wondering what they do. Thanks for your take on it!

86WARD
01-23-2019, 09:15 AM
I agree keep AB but if traded wondering what they do. Thanks for your take on it!

Cards just signed Fitzgerald so he’d be out.

I imagine they’d have to add a couple free agent WRs. They would need depth at TE if James is indeed leaving. I don’t think a TE through the draft is the answer, but a mid range free agent who can block and sometimes catch may be an option.

DesertSteel
01-23-2019, 10:22 AM
Fitz would be a great mentor for Juju and JW. I think he still has a couple years left as a productive possession receiver - if he has a legit QB, which he doesn't have in AZ.

EzraTank
01-23-2019, 10:35 AM
Just my thoughts if AB is traded! Grab Larry Fitzgerald in free agency and draft a deep burner WR in the 2nd or 3rd round that can catch. My second option draft a top TE very early and lots of two tight end sets with him and McDonald. I prefer my first option cause I think a speedy go deep wr was missed this year in this offense. Would love to hear others thoughts!!!!

It's simple. You replace him with another WR, then game plan to your receiving corps strengths. (WWBBD - What Would Bill Belichick Do?)

01-23-2019, 10:43 AM
It's simple. You replace him with another WR, then game plan to your receiving corps strengths. (WWBBD - What Would Bill Belichick Do?) Yep replace the probably second best wr ever in the NFL with a wr. Got it and good advice!

- - - Updated - - -

Cards just signed Fitzgerald so he’d be out.

I imagine they’d have to add a couple free agent WRs. They would need depth at TE if James is indeed leaving. I don’t think a TE through the draft is the answer, but a mid range free agent who can block and sometimes catch may be an option. Wow didn't know you can sign players this early before the season is over.

EzraTank
01-23-2019, 10:46 AM
What do you want us to do? AB probably isn't coming back so you can trade or draft a replacement. Ben should be good enough to get the ball to Juju and Washington. I even look to use Samuels in the slot, he was fantastic at that position in college. We will probably draft a WR in the early rounds and that will be that.

01-23-2019, 10:56 AM
What do you want us to do? AB probably isn't coming back so you can trade or draft a replacement. Ben should be good enough to get the ball to Juju and Washington. I even look to use Samuels in the slot, he was fantastic at that position in college. We will probably draft a WR in the early rounds and that will be that. Heck I don't know and was hoping you or others can figure it out.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe we can trade AB for a 1 pick and then use that to draft his cousin lol ?

steelreserve
01-23-2019, 11:47 AM
Wow didn't know you can sign players this early before the season is over.

You can always extend your own players, which is technically what they did since his contract runs through the end of the season. (Which, in turn, technically goes all the way into March)

I have no idea who we would replace him with. "We're great at drafting receivers, we don't need to worry" is a common refrain ... but remember that for every AB or Juju, there's a Sammie Coates, Markus Wheaton, etc., and we also seem to get our fair share of talented headaches with good but erratic performance and a limited shelf life. So actually more like 1 in 3 of our WR picks are really long-term solutions. Better hope we get really lucky if that's the plan.

01-23-2019, 12:33 PM
You can always extend your own players, which is technically what they did since his contract runs through the end of the season. (Which, in turn, technically goes all the way into March)

I have no idea who we would replace him with. "We're great at drafting receivers, we don't need to worry" is a common refrain ... but remember that for every AB or Juju, there's a Sammie Coates, Markus Wheaton, etc., and we also seem to get our fair share of talented headaches with good but erratic performance and a limited shelf life. So actually more like 1 in 3 of our WR picks are really long-term solutions. Better hope we get really lucky if that's the plan. Thanks for informing me and all around good post!

Rotorhead
01-23-2019, 01:47 PM
If we do trade him, it will either be for a high first, or a low first and second. Or we trade him for a top ILB or CB and a second. (ideally we trade him for Patrick Peterson and a high second)
Then we have one of our 2 biggest holes on def filled, we draft the other in the first and a WR in the second.

DesertSteel
01-23-2019, 03:31 PM
We all know it......... it's time......... to bring back.......... Mike Wallace!!!

- - - Updated - - -

If we do trade him, it will either be for a high first, or a low first and second. Or we trade him for a top ILB or CB and a second. (ideally we trade him for Patrick Peterson and a high second)
Then we have one of our 2 biggest holes on def filled, we draft the other in the first and a WR in the second.
I'd go Patrick Peterson straight up. No way we get a high 2 along with an All Pro CB.

Steeler-in-west
01-23-2019, 03:48 PM
Can’t. Tomlin just needs to get this whole team under control,

Born2Steel
01-23-2019, 05:40 PM
You won’t ‘replace’ AB. If traded you simply move on from a player like AB. In an effort to do that I would take DK Metcalf in the 1st/2nd round.(We are talking about replacing AB, not straight up draft talk) If pick 20 comes around and like last year your top picks are already gone, you must take BPA and Metcalf will be a true #1, IMO.

Take away the top fits at CB, Edge, and ILB, makes sense to take a player like Metcalf. If the goal is to replace AB.

zulater
01-24-2019, 06:47 AM
You replace AB with Ju Ju, who is only getting better. You sign an off the roster free agent to replace Ju Ju, someone who has experience in both the slot and as the Y. You hope James Washington develops into a good Y. A player I would target in free agency would be Cole Beasley.

And while I think McDonald and James are a solid duo at TE drafting a dynamic TE would go a long way towards replacing AB as well.

Basically you lose AB you're not going to do things exactly the same. But doing it different doesn't mean you take a step back. I think this team can be dynamic on offense without AB.

steelreserve
01-24-2019, 12:08 PM
You replace AB with Ju Ju, who is only getting better. You sign an off the roster free agent to replace Ju Ju, someone who has experience in both the slot and as the Y. You hope James Washington develops into a good Y. A player I would target in free agency would be Cole Beasley.

And while I think McDonald and James are a solid duo at TE drafting a dynamic TE would go a long way towards replacing AB as well.

Basically you lose AB you're not going to do things exactly the same. But doing it different doesn't mean you take a step back. I think this team can be dynamic on offense without AB.

That's a lot of stuff to do to replace one guy. And like 3 or 4 major moves all have to go right at once. Not to mention fitting them in under the new $21 million of dead money we'd be gifting ourselves.

And that also means we're probably not doing anything at all to fix our problems on defense. Other than throw some fifth-round pick at it and hope it helps (spoiler: it won't).

So yeah ... a lot of reasons why we probably dont want to replace him when we've got the choice to keep him for 3 years instead.

Dwinsgames
01-24-2019, 12:37 PM
How Do They Replace AB ? (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/29943-How-Do-They-Replace-AB)

You don't ....

but what you can do is get someone that can be productive and minimize the devastation of the loss and you can bolster your own pass defense so you need not score as much to win ...

hawaiiansteeler
01-24-2019, 12:57 PM
you replace AB with AB, he's not going anywhere...

DesertSteel
01-24-2019, 03:08 PM
AB really wasn’t the game changer this season, as much as year’s past. If he’s going to leave, this is as good a time as any.

hawaiiansteeler
01-24-2019, 07:53 PM
AB really wasn’t the game changer this season, as much as year’s past. If he’s going to leave, this is as good a time as any.

his 15 TDs would be missed, as well as drawing all the double teams...

86WARD
01-24-2019, 08:44 PM
his 15 TDs would be missed, as well as drawing all the double teams...

Yep. Coverage schemes versus the Steelers get a little easier.

Six Rings
01-27-2019, 09:57 AM

With a draft pick or free agent. The Steelers get back 14.5 million from Bell this year, so we have room.

AB can't be replaced, but running the ball a bit more would likely cut down on turnovers and help keep the defense fresh.

Deebo Samuel looked very good at the senior bowl. No one could cover him in the practices.

Edman
01-27-2019, 10:18 AM
Yep. Coverage schemes versus the Steelers get a little easier.

I don't think teams had trouble defending the Steelers Offense even with AB.

The Offense was good, but never struck fear into Defenses or changed the game. It was never scorched Earth on par with the Pats, Rams or the 2018 Chiefs.

teegre
01-27-2019, 10:27 AM
Remember those (“trap”?) plays a few years back where DeCastro pulled left and led the way between various gaps (between the LT & LG, between the LG & OC). There was a Bengals game where we ran it like five times straight on a drive... and the Bengals simply could not stop it.

Related to this is a moment from a Cowboys game in the 90s. Some opposing defender kept talking trash to the Cowboys O-line. Finally, Larry Allen starting calling out the plays pre-snap (telling the defense what the Cowboys would be running)... and the defense still could not stop the Cowboys.

Talent trumps all.

SUMMATION:
Play to our strengths, which is our O-line.

GoSlash27
01-27-2019, 12:51 PM
You get a free agent WR for the #2 spot. Doesn't have to be a pro-bowler, just decent. You move JuJu to the #1 and use Ryan Switzer in the slot.

You also have to hire someone to create lots of drama and distractions off the field and on social media. So yeah... I guess it takes 2 people to replace AB.

Shoes
01-27-2019, 01:01 PM
You get a free agent WR for the #2 spot. Doesn't have to be a pro-bowler, just decent. You move JuJu to the #1 and use Ryan Switzer in the slot.

You also have to hire someone to create lots of drama and distractions off the field and on social media. So yeah... I guess it takes 2 people to replace AB.

And draft TJ Hockenson. Have Hockenson & McDonald lining up in a double TE set for a great run game plus it offers an easy 10-yard pop for Ben to sling it to either of these guys if he gets the itch. Hockenson is also a legit deep threat and the Steelers will be set for 10 years at TE. I would do this if AB stays or departs.

st33lersguy
01-27-2019, 01:12 PM
You never will replace AB. the Steelers will never have a receiver of abs caliber again

Best thing they can do if they need to trade ab is find the next great superstar on defense (no easy task I know) but absolutely necessary

hawaiiansteeler
07-25-2019, 03:34 PM
Jeremy Fowler
@JFowlerESPN

Good quote from Steelers WR Ryan Switzer: There are 170 targets that have been vacated, and I don’t expect us to throw the ball less.

https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp %7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

GoSlash27
07-25-2019, 08:08 PM
Fun fact: The Pittsburgh Steelers have won 6 super bowls without Antonio Brown.

polamalubeast
07-25-2019, 08:12 PM

And 14 AFC titles games,ALL since 1972.

Hawkman
07-25-2019, 08:12 PM

:chuckle:

pczach
07-25-2019, 08:15 PM
How can the Steelers even compete without a great player like AB? It's not like they have ever done anything before he graced us with his presence. Who could possibly duplicate the talent, the fire, the enthusiasm, the work ethic, the tantrums, the bitching, the complaining, the sideline meltdowns, the showing up of his HOF quarterback on national TV? You just can't recreate that type of greatness and leadership. :sarcasm:

polamalubeast
07-25-2019, 08:17 PM
How can the Steelers even compete without a great player like AB? It's not like they have ever done anything before he graced us with his presence. Who could possibly duplicate the talent, the fire, the enthusiasm, the work ethic, the tantrums, the bitching, the complaining, the sideline meltdowns, the showing up of his HOF quarterback on national TV? You just can't recreate that type of greatness and leadership. :sarcasm:

And no team can win with JuJu as the best WR and Conner as the best RB!

And like Terry Bradshaw,Roethlisberger is too dumb as QB without his weapons!

hawaiiansteeler
07-25-2019, 10:33 PM
And like Terry Bradshaw,Roethlisberger is too dumb as QB without his weapons!

Ben is so dumb he couldn't guess Antonio Brown's initials if you spotted him the A and the B.

polamalubeast
07-26-2019, 10:48 AM

polamalubeast
07-26-2019, 10:59 AM