PDA

View Full Version : 6 Titles

Rotorhead
01-20-2019, 09:21 PM
Be prepared to have company, I am pretty sure we will not be the only team with 6 titles in 2 weeks.

AtlantaDan
01-20-2019, 09:40 PM
Be prepared to have company, I am pretty sure we will not be the only team with 6 titles in 2 weeks.

Probably but Rams at least have some skill players on defense

Shoes
01-20-2019, 09:51 PM

6 titles with the same HC and QB, just hope the Rams pull it off.

fansince'76
01-20-2019, 10:00 PM
I heard something similar last year.

st33lersguy
01-20-2019, 10:49 PM
Give credit to the Pats then if they do. At least they have a head coach in Bellichick who routinely out-schemes the opposition on a weekly basis and gets his players ready to play better more crisp football, and at least they have a QB in Brady who has an unparalleled competitive edge and a sustained level of excellence unheard of for a QB. That combination has gotten them to a 9th Super Bowl in 18 years and carried a 5-11 supporting cast to the Super Bowl. And yes I know it is blasphemous to credit Bellichick and Brady's success to their own abilities and not solely a weak conference/schedule/division, the refs, Roger Goodell, or cheating, but I don't care. The Pats do what they have to do. Hell if it weren't for the amazing singular abilities of Patrick Mahomes the Pats would have won by double digits

steelreserve
01-20-2019, 10:51 PM

Did I miss something? I thought the 49ers and Cowboys were both out.

DesertSteel
01-20-2019, 11:25 PM
It's about time anyway. Truth is that if the Pats win they will be the greatest dynasty in NFL history. Nine Super Bowls and 6 wins. I really don't even care anymore. Maybe Brady ends up with 8 rings. Meanwhile, back to Days of Our Lives...

Born2Steel
01-21-2019, 07:52 AM
And If the Pats lose this SuperBowl they will have 6 SuperBowl Losses.

EzraTank
01-21-2019, 08:27 AM

And if Pete Carrol wasn't a moron and the Falcons didn't collapse Brady would be looking at a 3-6 Superbowl record.

Edman
01-21-2019, 08:40 AM
It's not the Patriots fault that they are so simply good, while everyone else is so hilariously incompetent. The Pats did absolutely nothing out of the ordinary, and were quite average this season. But they just play football. Hate them because you're tired of them, but besides that, credit where it is due. They're the best of a (very) bad lot in the AFC. Not because they're otherworldly or more talented, but because they're sound and everyone else is high functioning autistic.

If anything, I hate Mike Tomlin and the Steelers more than the Patriots at this point because the Steelers are talented and arrogant when they have done nothing worthwhile this decade to warrant that arrogance. From Tomlin, to Ben, to Antonio Brown, to the rest of the coaching staff.

steelerdude15
01-21-2019, 09:14 AM
I have the Rams picked to win this game even though they shouldn't be in the Super Bowl. If the Rams don't have the yips, they could beat up the Patriots pretty easily.

The Rams have a great defense that should be able to put plenty of pressure on Brady. The Patriots offensive line is okay, but the Rams have a fantastic defensive line that is so good at being so disruptive. If they play calling is right, they'll be able to rush him and sack him multiple times or make him throw the ball away. Not only should they rush the Hell out of Brady, but they should only play man coverage. Its no secret that Brady can torch zone coverage so play man the entire game and double cover Gronk even though he may be a former shell of himself. They could also shut the run game down as they only gave up 49 yards rushing on average in the regular season and only gave up 48 yards rushing in the game yesterday.

The Rams offense could be more of a question mark, but they should be able to move the ball freely against the Patriot's defense. Their defense isn't good and the teams have been able to move up and down the field on the Patriots over the past couple of years. Just move the ball down the field and then have good play calling in the redzone and the Rams should win.

Shoes
01-21-2019, 10:03 AM
I don't know how many 3rd and long the Pats had last night but it seemed like a bunch. It's the same Pats offense year after year. This is just with 1:57 left in the 4th and OT

https://vimeo.com/312482920

Rotorhead
01-21-2019, 10:22 AM
Did I miss something? I thought the 49ers and Cowboys were both out.

?? The Pats have 5 also ??

Rotorhead
01-21-2019, 10:28 AM
I give credit to them, if we played the fundamentals half as good as the Pats . . . but mostly if we new how to put together a game plan and scheme to beat other teams we would have at least as much success this past decade as them. The Pats simply out schemed the Chiefs in the first half and their was no fix until after halftime, which ended up being too late. In OT the Chiefs Def was just too gassed to get the stop.

The best quality of Belicheat is he can come up with schemes to hide their weaknesses, year after year. Something Tomlin has never done one time. Here to hoping we can draft or FA a good enough CB and ILB to get us into the big game next season.

st33lersguy
01-21-2019, 10:50 AM
It's not the Patriots fault that they are so simply good, while everyone else is so hilariously incompetent. The Pats did absolutely nothing out of the ordinary, and were quite average this season. But they just play football. Hate them because you're tired of them, but besides that, credit where it is due. They're the best of a (very) bad lot in the AFC. Not because they're otherworldly or more talented, but because they're sound and everyone else is high functioning autistic.

If anything, I hate Mike Tomlin and the Steelers more than the Patriots at this point because the Steelers are talented and arrogant when they have done nothing worthwhile this decade to warrant that arrogance. From Tomlin, to Ben, to Antonio Brown, to the rest of the coaching staff.

Exactly

Steeler-in-west
01-21-2019, 10:52 AM
I like the Rams chances.

Even if the pats do pull it off not all super bowl wins are the same. The game is so different than it was in the 70’s. We’re halfway toward playing flag football these days. Even since the Steelers last Super Bowl win in 09 the game has changed a lot.

NCSteeler
01-21-2019, 11:02 AM
Probably but Rams at least have some skill players on defenseThey are going to have to do better than the mugging they gave NO , I'm sure the league and refs will be getting an earful from ESPN and the Patriot frotn office

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Shoes
01-21-2019, 11:05 AM
I think the Pats success is a clear example of what good coaching is when compared to most NFL teams. Most people couldn't think of an exceptional player on their team outside of Brady, Gronk and Edelman. While most teams go for the "Wow players" the pats go with good players and transform them into the players who played before them. When you watch them play it looks exactly like the team 10 or more years ago, just with different players with no-names. Look at their o line, Brady most often has all the time in the world to throw the ball and rarely has a grass stain on his uniform. The running backs and WR's the same, the defense and a new DC they don't miss a beat. They have good leadership in the coaching and players ranks and grit. I think Edelman would crawl for the 1st down if you cut his legs off. Little things built on a good foundation is where it starts, which why I'm impressed with the Rams McVay. Should be a good SB

steelreserve
01-21-2019, 11:08 AM
?? The Pats have 5 also ??

Weird, I don't remember the Patriots winning anything. Must not have been very important.

Fire Goodell
01-21-2019, 11:10 AM
good luck to the rams but this won't be a game I'll be watching. I've been boycotting every Patriots super bowl after their 2nd game vs the giants

DesertSteel
01-21-2019, 12:05 PM
good luck to the rams but this won't be a game I'll be watching. I've been boycotting every Patriots super bowl after their 2nd game vs the giants
You won't be watching very many Super Bowls then...

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-21-2019, 12:55 PM
Does it really matter how many titles another team has? I'm only concerned how many the Steelers have and when they might win the next one.

Until then, I will just enjoy watching great football games when I can.

DesertSteel
01-21-2019, 12:58 PM
Does it really matter how many titles another team has? I'm only concerned how many the Steelers have and when they might win the next one.

Until then, I will just enjoy watching great football games when I can.In some way, I think it matters to the Rooneys. It's like, as long as we have more than anyone else it's OK to not go all out to win another. The current Rooney has done nothing to disprove that notion in my mind.

Shoes
01-21-2019, 01:13 PM

Until then, I will just enjoy watching great football games when I can.

Well according to you it won't be while Ben is here, until leadership is gained and defensive issues are fixed. I agree, but I also think there are coaching issues. When a team is in a position to win 6 SB in 18 years with the same coach and QB, and do it with just good players, I think it requires some team and heart-searching. That matters imo.

86WARD
01-21-2019, 01:21 PM

This is 100% correct. The Patriots just did the same thing they always do. They are prepared. They have a game plan, they throw in a new wrinkle to make the opponent panic more than they already are and pretty much every team plays into their hands. They get scared, play a zone prevent defense, rush the minimum amount and the Pats take what you give them, put together 8 minute drives and you lose.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-21-2019, 01:26 PM
Well according to you it won't be while Ben is here, until leadership is gained and defensive issues are fixed. I agree, but I also think there are coaching issues. When a team is in a position to win 6 SB in 18 years with the same coach and QB, and do it with just good players, I think it requires some team and heart-searching. That matters imo.

I don't concern myself with other teams, nor get upset if they are productive.

One of the best QB's, paired with a great defensive coach, who curmudgeonly keeps his team on task is a good recipe for success. I don't think either is as productive without the other. Its kind of like asking if Pat Reilly was a great NBA coach because he only won in LA with Magic, Kareem, Worthy and not with the Knicks.

As for the Steelers. I don't think its a tank job, but I think their roster and culture needs an evolution before they start competing well enough to sniff an AFCCG in a few years from now.

hawaiiansteeler
01-21-2019, 01:41 PM
Cheatriots *****

Mojouw
01-21-2019, 01:59 PM
This is 100% correct. The Patriots just did the same thing they always do. They are prepared. They have a game plan, they throw in a new wrinkle to make the opponent panic more than they already are and pretty much every team plays into their hands. They get scared, play a zone prevent defense, rush the minimum amount and the Pats take what you give them, put together 8 minute drives and you lose.

You forgot the other thing they do better than almost anyone else -- force the pace of play. I think they ran like 90-95 offensive plays. Even with the extra drive in overtime factored in that is just insane.

Mach1
01-21-2019, 02:08 PM
You forgot the other thing they do better than anyone else -- CHEAT

Fixed it.

http://znicolazzo.weebly.com/uploads/2/9/0/8/29080963/published/asterisk.jpg?1485987421

DesertSteel
01-21-2019, 02:48 PM
Brady >> Ben
Belicheck >>>>> Tomlin

86WARD
01-21-2019, 02:54 PM
You forgot the other thing they do better than almost anyone else -- force the pace of play. I think they ran like 90-95 offensive plays. Even with the extra drive in overtime factored in that is just insane.

Yep. They take as little or as much as you give them and just grind it out with a few runs, a few passes to one of their 4 backs out of the backfield, short out routes to move the chains and the occasional sit down in the zone completion...move the chains, put together an 8-minute drive...nice calm drive and boom. TD.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
01-21-2019, 03:28 PM
Not taking anything away from The Pats but that KC D was awful. Their D makes me feel good about The Steelers D. People saying their D was gassed at the end, well they looked gassed since they first step on the field.

T&B fan
01-21-2019, 03:31 PM
Weird, I don't remember the Patriots winning anything. Must not have been very important.

we know how they got them and winning was not part of it ... see my singature ...

Fire Goodell
01-21-2019, 04:01 PM
You won't be watching very many Super Bowls then...

Nope would rather not. My hate for the cheats is greater than my love for the game

steelcityboyz
01-21-2019, 04:16 PM
As much as i loath the cheats, I tip my hat to that orginazation they're in the hunt every year with no name players, The Rooneys and Tomlin can learn a few things from them.

Mojouw
01-21-2019, 05:05 PM
You guys realize that the Patriots roster, as it is almost every year, is littered with top 60 draft picks?

Michel, Gronk, McCourty, Chung, Hightower, Flowers, Clayborn, Brown, Gilmore, Dawson, Patterson, Gordon, Allen, Hill, and a few others are all either Pats original first or second round picks or were signed/traded for during their rookie deals. That is roughly a third of their roster.

Counting everyone listed on their rosters (suspended, IR, practice squad, whatever) the Patriots have 15 players originally selected in the first or second round. The Steelers have 21.
The Patriots have 20 UDFA rostered. The Steelers have 23.
Patriots have 16 guys taken from rounds 5-7. Steelers have 11.

The New England Patriots employ a great deal of high quality well regarded football players. They aren't exactly doing this with smoke and mirrors and some guys off the scrap heap.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
01-21-2019, 05:55 PM
They are going to have to do better than the mugging they gave NO , I'm sure the league and refs will be getting an earful from ESPN and the Patriot frotn office

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk Haha screw NO and that makes up for the phantom pass interference call they got on us. What comes around goes around.

pczach
01-21-2019, 07:37 PM
You guys realize that the Patriots roster, as it is almost every year, is littered with top 60 draft picks?

Michel, Gronk, McCourty, Chung, Hightower, Flowers, Clayborn, Brown, Gilmore, Dawson, Patterson, Gordon, Allen, Hill, and a few others are all either Pats original first or second round picks or were signed/traded for during their rookie deals. That is roughly a third of their roster.

Counting everyone listed on their rosters (suspended, IR, practice squad, whatever) the Patriots have 15 players originally selected in the first or second round. The Steelers have 21.

The New England Patriots employ a great deal of high quality well regarded football players. They aren't exactly doing this with smoke and mirrors and some guys off the scrap heap.

I think the one thing that maybe the Steelers should consider is stockpiling draft picks. I've been saying it for years. There are some years when many of the players are of similar value over multiple rounds. I believe that they should trade back sometimes to get additional draft picks. There is so much value in the middle of the draft. Rounds 2-4 are loaded with talented players. If you can move back a couple spots and still get a player of similar quality while also adding valuable draft picks, it makes a ton of sense unless there is a player available that they really have rated much higher that is still on the board.

The Patriots continually accumulate picks by moving back, and I like that strategy sometimes.

Mojouw
01-21-2019, 09:30 PM
I think the one thing that maybe the Steelers should consider is stockpiling draft picks. I've been saying it for years. There are some years when many of the players are of similar value over multiple rounds. I believe that they should trade back sometimes to get additional draft picks. There is so much value in the middle of the draft. Rounds 2-4 are loaded with talented players. If you can move back a couple spots and still get a player of similar quality while also adding valuable draft picks, it makes a ton of sense unless there is a player available that they really have rated much higher that is still on the board.

The Patriots continually accumulate picks by moving back, and I like that strategy sometimes.

I can totally agree with that. Colbert's steadfast refusal to only ever trade up is a bit maddening. Only recent year I didn't want them to trade out were Dupree and Watt.

EzraTank
01-22-2019, 10:16 AM

Great post. And it's not that the rest of the AFC is bad but the teams that have the talent to beat the Pats just aren't disciplined and coached well enough. The Pats almost NEVER make a mistake when the game is on the line and every other team does. You won't catch a Patriot lining up in the neutral zone when the game is on the line. How many times has Brady thrown a late pick to end a game? I know he did against Haden this year but that wasn't a must win game for them like it was for us. I'm talking about the playoffs. He almost never does. The only reason they lost last year's Superbowl was a great strip/sack by the Eagles. They just DO NOT make mistakes.

If you replaced Tomlin with Belichick back in 2008 we would probably have 10+ titles right now.

Born2Steel
01-22-2019, 10:52 AM
The Patriots are a GOOD football team. Nothing more. They cheated their way to this dynasty. It’s all clever. Not really against the rules yet not legally within the rules. You see it in baseball too. Catchers move and slide to trick an ump that a ball is a strike. They all do it and get away with it because it’s never been truly made illegal. But a ball is a ball and a strike is a strike, and what they do is cheating. The Patriots have not only had the advantage of a very weak division for the last 20 years, but have also used these ‘non-cheats’ to cheat. I’m sure you all can work google and find lists compiled of their cheating. That is why the Pats do not get the same love that the 49ers, Cowboys, Packers, or Steelers do nationally when talking football dynasties.

Rotorhead
01-22-2019, 11:52 AM
Yes, we all know of their *’s, but they still have to play the game, and as stated above, they don’t make mistakes, have good game plans, and scheme to the players they have.

As for NO, I think they had a much better chance to beat NE than the Rams is all. Bree’s is a great Vet that won it all before, Goff will be in over his head (at least at the start). QB advantage goes to the Pats easily where it would have been even between Brees and Brady IMHO. Same for coaching. In order for the Rams to win, they are going to have to come out and punch the Pats in the mouth in the 1st qrtr, let their offense get into the game without falling behind by more than a TD

Born2Steel
01-22-2019, 11:55 AM
Yes, we all know of their *’s, but they still have to play the game, and as stated above, they don’t make mistakes, have good game plans, and scheme to the players they have.

As for NO, I think they had a much better chance to beat NE than the Rams is all. Bree’s is a great Vet that won it all before, Goff will be in over his head (at least at the start). QB advantage goes to the Pats easily where it would have been even between Brees and Brady IMHO. Same for coaching. In order for the Rams to win, they are going to have to come out and punch the Pats in the mouth in the 1st qrtr, let their offense get into the game without falling behind by more than a TD

Not disagreeing with you. But, didn’t the Eagles beat the Pats just last year with their backup QB? I refuse to pick a winner but I do not believe in the unbeatable Brady.

NCSteeler
01-22-2019, 11:58 AM

The New England Patriots employ a great deal of high quality well regarded football players. They aren't exactly doing this with smoke and mirrors and some guys off the scrap heap.A lot of those are scrap heap players that the teams that drafted them didn't want for one reason or another and yet somehow Superior coaching got them to perform better and perform as a team

Mojouw
01-22-2019, 12:30 PM
A lot of those are scrap heap players that the teams that drafted them didn't want for one reason or another and yet somehow Superior coaching got them to perform better and perform as a team

I don't know. Maybe on the middle round guys they sign as FA's, but the higher round guys all are playing at or worse than they did in previous stops:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/ClayAd00.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PattCo00.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DorsPh00.htm

The majority of the rest of their listed high draft packs are their own. Excluding Gilmore who came over as a FA because the Bills are a crap-show and Hill because the Bengals fell in love with Mixon.

I would argue that the Patriots are ruthless about targeting players who fit their system and about player roles. Want more touches as the 3rd WR - tough. Go play somewhere else. But I just am done with the whole "who are these guys" thing. Many of the critical contributors up and down the roster were heralded college players and highly touted draft prospects. Just like any other NFL team.

st33lersguy
01-22-2019, 02:21 PM
The key to the Pats success has been Bellichick and Brady. Bellichick with his scheming and relentless preparation of his players to have them in proper position to do it correctly and Brady with his relentless and I mean RELENTLESS competitive edge. You are talking about a guy who won't stop until he chases down some other-worldly stratosphere of all-time greatness, a guy who wants to be known as the greatest player of all-time. 5 Super Bowls and he is still relentlessly pushing for another ring, and probably won't stop until at the very least he's no. 1 in passing yards and touchdowns (another productive year, he will at least surpass Peyton and only have Brees to contend with). That combination allows you to achieve unheard of levels of success, especially in the free agent era when roster turnover is commonplace

FrancoLambert
01-22-2019, 09:12 PM
The key to the Pats success has been Bellichick and Brady. Bellichick with his scheming and relentless preparation of his players to have them in proper position to do it correctly and Brady with his relentless and I mean RELENTLESS competitive edge. You are talking about a guy who won't stop until he chases down some other-worldly stratosphere of all-time greatness, a guy who wants to be known as the greatest player of all-time. 5 Super Bowls and he is still relentlessly pushing for another ring, and probably won't stop until at the very least he's no. 1 in passing yards and touchdowns (another productive year, he will at least surpass Peyton and only have Brees to contend with). That combination allows you to achieve unheard of levels of success, especially in the free agent era when roster turnover is commonplace

C’mon, you’re a Steelers fan. Surely you know they cheated their way to this dynasty.

All of their success comes from cheating and bending the rules.

Coaching, maximizing talent, and demanding that the players accept the existing team culture have nothing to do with it.

:whistle:

teegre
01-22-2019, 09:26 PM
A lot of those are scrap heap players that the teams that drafted them didn't want for one reason or another and yet somehow Superior coaching got them to perform better and perform as a team

Kyle Van Noy is a good example of this. He was “meh” as a Lion, but has been very good as a Taperiot.

Of course, they wouldn’t have needed Van Noy if they had simply kept Jamie Collins.

I get it. They “do not pay” any player except for Tom Brady & Gronk, and it has worked... but, imagine if they had indeed kept Collins and Chandler Jones.

EzraTank
01-23-2019, 07:56 AM
Kyle Van Noy is a good example of this. He was “meh” as a Lion, but has been very good as a Taperiot.

Of course, they wouldn’t have needed Van Noy if they had simply kept Jamie Collins.

I get it. They “do not pay” any player except for Tom Brady & Gronk, and it has worked... but, imagine if they had indeed kept Collins and Chandler Jones.

Not only do they not overpay any player, Belichick doesn't take shit from any player, just ask Malcolm Butler. Belichick would have quietly drafted James Conner and let Bell walk last year and developed a game plan to fit Conner not Bell. Do you think Belichick would even think about keeping Brown after what he did? Nope, he would just trade him and move on. That's every other team's problem, they over value players whereas Belichick just sees them as X's and O's. How long have we heard about the "killer B's"? How many titles did the killer B's win? We should have let Bell walk after Shazier's injury and used his money to draft/sign a replacement for Shazier. That's exactly what Belichick would have done.

86WARD
01-23-2019, 09:11 AM
Belichick won’t put up with it, but he’s also not afraid to take it on, correct it and then dump it when he’s done...lol.