PDA

View Full Version : Morgan Burnett requests release from Steelers

tube517
01-19-2019, 03:56 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001011653/article/morgan-burnett-requests-release-from-steelers

This time it's safety Morgan Burnett, who told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport that he wishes to be released from his deal before free agency begins in mid-March.

:wave:

Bye Felicia!

86WARD
01-19-2019, 04:02 PM
Lol. Why?

Mojouw
01-19-2019, 04:10 PM
Edmunds took his job

86WARD
01-19-2019, 04:16 PM
Edmunds took his job

Was it ever really his?

Mojouw
01-19-2019, 04:18 PM
All snarkiness aside, Burnett was gonna get cut anyway. Now he can enter free agency in control of the narrative.

He is now not an old injury prone safety that has to take a cut rate deal but a playmaker forced to play out of position who sacrificed a year of his career to try and help a team win.

But I'm sure it's really about Tomlin and culture.

pczach
01-19-2019, 05:17 PM
All snarkiness aside, Burnett was gonna get cut anyway. Now he can enter free agency in control of the narrative.

He is now not an old injury prone safety that has to take a cut rate deal but a playmaker forced to play out of position who sacrificed a year of his career to try and help a team win.

But I'm sure it's really about Tomlin and culture.

Burnett was hardly on the field for most of the year, and when he was he wasn't very good. He finally flashed a little bit very late in the year, but the level of play was hard to distinguish between Burnett and Edmunds. Edmunds continued to get better as the year went on and made fewer mistakes.

Burnett was not going to have a starting job unless Edmunds gets injured. He ended up giving very little contribution to this team based on what was expected. They're not going to miss him at all. Do whatever works best for the team cap wise.

By the way, what isn't Tomlin's fault? :chuckle:

AtlantaDan
01-19-2019, 05:42 PM
$6.46 milllion cap hit (salary increases from $1 million in 2008 to $5 million in 2019 - LOL) if they would have kept him for next season

$2.83 million dead money cap hit for the acceleration of the signing bonus when they cut him loose

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/morgan-burnett-6579/

Bostic is only a $700K cap hit when that other dynamic offseason FA signing is released

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/jon-bostic-12331/

NCSteeler
01-19-2019, 05:48 PM
Another fabulous Free Agent pickup, we keep guessing at help and they are crap lately

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

86WARD
01-19-2019, 05:56 PM
Another fabulous Free Agent pickup, we keep guessing at help and they are crap lately

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

What was the last substantial free agent signing they’ve had?

AtlantaDan
01-19-2019, 06:11 PM

In terms of non-busts, D'Angelo Williams in 2015 as Bell's backup?

Mitchell was a four year 2014-2017 starter but I of course was not a fan

vader29
01-19-2019, 06:14 PM

GBMelBlount
01-19-2019, 06:21 PM

As rocky as his stay was, it sounds like he thought he was of toein' the line...

BlackAndGold
01-19-2019, 06:54 PM
After his play this year he should not be asking for anything. He was going to be cut anyway.

Dwinsgames
01-19-2019, 07:27 PM
LMAO ...... he is only doing this because he does not want teams to think he was simply CUT .............

st33lersguy
01-19-2019, 07:56 PM
LOL. Where do the steelers find these guys?

fansince'76
01-19-2019, 08:01 PM
Goodness, what a blow to the secondary...

https://media1.tenor.com/images/7b8101981cb20d7387154d3c8e47e253/tenor.gif

smokin3000gt
01-19-2019, 08:05 PM
I hope he doesn't sign with another team at the same position.. a lateral move like that can only mean that this team is sinking and he's trying to get far away

:heh:

steelreserve
01-19-2019, 08:10 PM
Why wouldn't we try to trade him for whatever we can get; releasing him gets us nothing but dead money.

You would think the best thing for Burnett would have been to simply play out his contract, because there is no way he sees that much money again if you ask me. Then again, it sounds like he probably wasn't going to get the chance to play it out anyway.

edit: well, unless he gets traded. That would've been the smarter thing to ask for.

pczach
01-19-2019, 08:32 PM
I hope he doesn't sign with another team at the same position.. a lateral move like that can only mean that this team is sinking and he's trying to get far away

:heh:

Coach Munchak...is that you???

:sofunny:

86WARD
01-19-2019, 08:40 PM
In terms of non-busts, D'Angelo Williams in 2015 as Bell's backup?

Mitchell was a four year 2014-2017 starter but I of course was not a fan

I guess Mitchell would be the last “substantial” one.

Born2Steel
01-19-2019, 09:23 PM

Depends on what you mean by substantial. Playing time/production-wise I would list DWill, Mitchell, Hilton, McDonald, Alualu, Haden, or Bostic. I may be thinking more in terms of offseason acquisitions and not true FA signings maybe?

Fire Goodell
01-20-2019, 03:34 AM
What a fucking bum

86WARD
01-20-2019, 07:36 AM
Depends on what you mean by substantial. Playing time/production-wise I would list DWill, Mitchell, Hilton, McDonald, Alualu, Haden, or Bostic. I may be thinking more in terms of offseason acquisitions and not true FA signings maybe?

I forgot that Haden was a free agent signing. I always overlook him. My definition of substantial would be a guy that’s on the roster 3-5 years and actually contributes on a weekly basis - starter material. A guy who would be considered a leader...just an all around solid player. Haden would fit that bill. Mitchell. IMO, I wouldn’t consider Williams a substantial free agent signing, he was kinda here, played well for a few games and then gone after 2. McDonald was a trade. Hilton, Alualu and Bostic don’t fit my definition I guess.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-20-2019, 08:46 AM
Reports say he wanted to play Safety and his snaps were mostly at dime LB. He was still good in coverage, but wasn't often healthy, so no big deal if they release him, although still not much proven talent at the Safety position.

teegre
01-20-2019, 12:22 PM
Who? :huh:

Method28
01-20-2019, 05:56 PM
Does he have any money they payed him upfront? If so, pay it back and you're free to go

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

DesertSteel
01-20-2019, 11:27 PM
It'll be a great loss!

Fire Goodell
01-21-2019, 12:18 AM
Damn man i don't know how we'll ever recover from losing Burnett. Wow the championship window is now closed for the next 200 years

steelreserve
01-22-2019, 05:25 PM
Does he have any money they payed him upfront? If so, pay it back and you're free to go

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

$4.2 million signing bonus, so if we release him, it's $3M dead cap in exchange for ... nothing at all.

Of course, since his base salary next year is $5 million, we're even worse off keeping him.

You know what, that has got to be one of the shittiest contracts ever negotiated for a deal that size. It basically guarantees that unless the player has an incredible first year, it's no good for anybody and both sides walk away angry.

Mojouw
01-22-2019, 05:40 PM
$4.2 million signing bonus, so if we release him, it's $3M dead cap in exchange for ... nothing at all.

Of course, since his base salary next year is $5 million, we're even worse off keeping him.

You know what, that has got to be one of the shittiest contracts ever negotiated for a deal that size. It basically guarantees that unless the player has an incredible first year, it's no good for anybody and both sides walk away angry.

Not quite. Unless I'm not understanding things.
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/platform/amp/2019/1/20/18189912/report-safety-morgan-burnett-wants-steelers-to-release-him-from-contract-terrell-edmunds-nfl-news

steelreserve
01-22-2019, 06:02 PM
Not quite. Unless I'm not understanding things.
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/platform/amp/2019/1/20/18189912/report-safety-morgan-burnett-wants-steelers-to-release-him-from-contract-terrell-edmunds-nfl-news

That's basically the same thing I said above. I mean, $2.83M is not quite $3M, but otherwise it's all the same.

We "save" $3.6 million next season by eating $2.83M in dead money instead of paying him $6.4M ($5M base plus $1.4M from signing bonus), but either way still sucks. Almost $3M for no player, or S6.4M for a player who didn't do shit. Plus the player got to collect about a third of his deal, so I doubt he's thrilled either.

The whole thing was structured so there's just enough bonus money to make it kind of a pain in the ass to cut him, but such a high second-year salary that it's hard to justify keeping him either.

Mojouw
01-22-2019, 06:39 PM
That's basically the same thing I said above. I mean, $2.83M is not quite $3M, but otherwise it's all the same.

We "save" $3.6 million next season by eating $2.83M in dead money instead of paying him $6.4M ($5M base plus $1.4M from signing bonus), but either way still sucks. Almost $3M for no player, or S6.4M for a player who didn't do shit. Plus the player got to collect about a third of his deal, so I doubt he's thrilled either.

The whole thing was structured so there's just enough bonus money to make it kind of a pain in the ass to cut him, but such a high second-year salary that it's hard to justify keeping him either.

I guess I just figure if it's cheaper to cut the player than keep him, the team won out. I think they can tilt the cap savings and dead money to almost 5:1 if they spread it out over 19 and 20.

AtlantaDan
01-22-2019, 07:39 PM
Why would Burnett requests release through the media? I think its a reflection on internal leadership with the Steelers
Ed Bouchette: I think it's more a reflection on Morgan Burnett

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2019/01/22/Ed-Bouchette-s-Steelers-chat-01-22-19/stories/201901220122

:chuckle:

teegre
01-22-2019, 08:10 PM
Two words: sunk cost

Las Vegas was built on people not being able to simply walk away from a bad deal.

steelreserve
01-22-2019, 09:37 PM

Las Vegas was built on people not being able to simply walk away from a bad deal.

It's definitely better if we get rid of him, no question about it. I wouldn't pay almost $7 million for that bullshit. Just kind of sucks that we set it up to cost ourselves either way.

I guess one way of looking at it is that his low base last year ($1 million) means his signing bonus basically WAS his first year's salary, only we spread it out over three years for some reason despite having cap space. Probably because we thought we were doing something with Bell.

Still, the result of that would be like a one-year, $6M contract, which is still a lot of money for dogshit.

Mojouw
01-22-2019, 11:14 PM
Hindsight is 20/20. At the time the team was universally lauded for signing the best available safety for a far below market deal.

86WARD
01-23-2019, 06:29 AM
Hindsight is 20/20. At the time the team was universally lauded for signing the best available safety for a far below market deal.

And I’d do that deal again and again if the situations were the same. I don’t think anyone here hated the deal...

pczach
01-23-2019, 05:51 PM
And I’d do that deal again and again if the situations were the same. I don’t think anyone here hated the deal...

I was OK with it. I thought it was a good signing at the time.

Sometimes this stuff happens. We got the constantly injured version of him. I think he still had something left and would have played pretty well if they played him more at safety and less as dime LB....and he was healthy. Unfortunately, it just didn't work out.

Born2Steel
01-23-2019, 06:15 PM
Based on the reports I have heard on this Burnett simply wants to play safety. But he has ended up as the dime backer because Edmunds played his role while Burnett was out injured. If Burnett is told he will be the safety and Edmunds is moved to dime backer(what we thought when he was drafted anyway right?) I think this issue goes away. Burnett is probably the best safety on the team when healthy anyway. Not sure how this became complicated.

AtlantaDan
01-23-2019, 06:24 PM

Like this :noidea:

Kicker Chris Boswell is due a $2 million roster bonus in March, and Rooney said Wednesday that he expects Boswell to be on the roster in training camp.

“I would say at a minimum that (general manager) Kevin Colbert and his group will be looking to bring in some competition with Chris Boswell,” Rooney said. “I think they’ll make something happen there and at least give him some competition for the kicking position.”

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers/14536026-85/is-art-rooney-ii-softening-his-stance-on-antonio-browns-return-to

teegre
01-23-2019, 09:54 PM
Based on the reports I have heard on this Burnett simply wants to play safety. But he has ended up as the dime backer because Edmunds played his role while Burnett was out injured. If Burnett is told he will be the safety and Edmunds is moved to dime backer(what we thought when he was drafted anyway right?) I think this issue goes away. Burnett is probably the best safety on the team when healthy anyway. Not sure how this became complicated.

Bwahahaha!!! :toofunny:

Born2Steel
01-24-2019, 07:26 AM
Bwahahaha!!! :toofunny:

You’re probably right. He’s the best safety on the team when NOT healthy. The question/risk is do you trust that Burnett will be able to play any role on the field. Recent burn by Green has the trust levels very low.