PDA

View Full Version : Steelers/Ravens AFC championship game

stillers4me
01-19-2019, 07:45 AM
Now that was a game for the ages. That was real football.

Do not get angry that our defense cannot be compared to this one. None ever will. Do not mourn that Troy is gone. He was a once in a lifetime player. Rejoice that we witnessed it, lived it, and it's ours to cherish as Steelers fans. Many football fans have no celebrated, joyous memories. Just bitterness and jealousy of those that do.

We have a vault full of moments that take your breath away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfiS8cvMEWE&t=16s

AtlantaDan
01-19-2019, 07:59 AM
Now that was a game for the ages. That was real football.

Do not get angry that our defense cannot be compared to this one. None ever will. Do not mourn that Troy is gone. He was a once in a lifetime player. Rejoice that we witnessed it, lived it, and it's ours to cherish as Steelers fans. Many football fans have no celebrated, joyous memories. Just bitterness and jealousy of those that do.

We have a vault full of moments that take your breath away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfiS8cvMEWE&t=16s

10th anniversary of that game was yesterday - those were the days :drink:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/game?gameId=290118023

Rather than Troy's pick six that made the score 23-14, to follow how everything has gone the past few seasons Flacco instead would have driven the Ravens down the field, after Troy's INT was called back on a phantom defensive holding call away from the play, and the Ravens would have taken the lead as the Steelers defense blew a 9 point 4th quarter lead. A TD catch by Heath would then have been overturned on review and a pass attempt by Ben to Holmes would have been intercepted in the end zone or Jeff Reed would have fallen down while attempting the game winning field goal to end the game.

pczach
01-19-2019, 08:40 AM
How awesome was this guy?

What a great man......who played a little football on the side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL8diqVaEY0

DesertSteel
01-19-2019, 09:20 AM
One of these days I hope Troy comes out and has a candid interview about his ending and his relationship with the Steelers post-retirement. I'd love to hear what he has to say and would hold it in much higher value that Harrison's pay for venom.

Moose
01-19-2019, 09:23 AM
What a shame how and what football has become isn't it ? All of those great player's of the past will never be again, or at least we won't know what they could be capable of because of the 'sissieness' the owner's have made the game become. The 'greats' of the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's that alot (if not all) of us remember...mine being the great #58.....are history. Troy, Hines, just to name recent memories that most of us remember were awesome, what they did wouldn't be allowed today because of the 'sissy' rules. Oh well, football is just another example of the softness and stupidity the world is becoming today. Thank God for the great memories that can't be taken away. And thanks stillers4me for sharing ! ( and now the future of sports with 'Boy' gender, 'Girl' gender, and 'X' gender having to be decided....interesting sport protection equipment for future.....hahaha)

86WARD
01-19-2019, 09:33 AM
How awesome was this guy?

What a great man......who played a little football on the side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL8diqVaEY0

Thanks for posting that. You forget how good he really was. Arguably One if the top players to ever wear a Steelers jersey.

My favorite plays by Troy were the Ravens interception for a TD, the Pick 6 he bowled over Palmer and that play over the top to tackle Kerry Collins.

Something else not Troy related...Dick Enberg was one of the better NFL broadcasters of All-Time. I miss hearing his voice on Sundays.

86WARD
01-19-2019, 09:36 AM
One more thing. I was so captivated by that video. Watched the whole thing on my phone while my iPad sat right next to me...lol.

Shoes
01-19-2019, 10:33 AM
Thanks for that Sue!

tube517
01-19-2019, 11:30 AM
I have this game on Blu Ray DVD w/the 2nd regular season game w/the Ravens, the Chargers div playoff game and SB 43.

Fun to watch over and over.

Crow-Magnon
01-20-2019, 10:00 AM
Thanks for posting that. You forget how good he really was. Arguably One if the top players to ever wear a Steelers jersey.

My favorite plays by Troy were the Ravens interception for a TD, the Pick 6 he bowled over Palmer and that play over the top to tackle Kerry Collins.

Something else not Troy related...Dick Enberg was one of the better NFL broadcasters of All-Time. I miss hearing his voice on Sundays.

A great game, albeit with a ending not to my likng lol.

Enberg and Olsen were one of my top three announcer pairs of all-time. I miss that "Oh my!" call of his.

pczach
01-20-2019, 10:12 AM

I don't think it's even arguable that Troy is one of the best safeties of all time. He is clearly the best Steelers safety IMO, and was such a physical freak that he changed expectations for how the position is played.

When you watch that video, you can clearly see him doing certain things and at speeds that are superior to anything I see out there right now. Troy Polamalu and Ed Reed may have been the two most dynamic safeties to ever play the game....and we got to see them on the same field going at it for years. How lucky have we been?

teegre
01-20-2019, 11:25 AM
Is Ed Reed homeless?

Or, is he simply the new spokesman for Derelicte?

pczach
01-20-2019, 11:54 AM
Is Ed Reed homeless?

Or, is he simply the new spokesman for Derelicte?

And here I thought I was the only one thinking that! :sofunny:

tube517
01-20-2019, 12:10 PM

I also liked the crazy pick against the Chargers in the snow. Fingertip INT was just insane.

And I repeat myself many times but the sideways (while falling) tackle against Denver in the 2005/06 AFCC game. Nobody in NFL history could make that play in the same circumstances

Steelerchad
01-20-2019, 09:44 PM
Was at that game. You miss a lot being at the game and I never re watch the replays when I get home. The things that stick out the most were:
Limas Sweed's crack back block
Opening kickoff one of our guys blew up a Raven on a block
Limas Sweed's wide open TD drop
Santonio's catch and run across the field for a TD
Ryan Clark blew up Willis McGahee at the end of the game and they carted him off
Troy's pick 6 to seal it, is a top 5 play of all time for me

Fire Goodell
01-21-2019, 01:36 AM
Was at that game. You miss a lot being at the game and I never re watch the replays when I get home. The things that stick out the most were:
Limas Sweed's crack back block
Opening kickoff one of our guys blew up a Raven on a block
Limas Sweed's wide open TD drop
Santonio's catch and run across the field for a TD
Ryan Clark blew up Willis McGahee at the end of the game and they carted him off
Troy's pick 6 to seal it, is a top 5 play of all time for me

I miss how the game used to be played. 2 of those plays you listed would have been penalties and possibly ejections today