PDA

View Full Version : Wexell: Easy to blame Ben, but that doesn't mean it's right

hawaiiansteeler
01-17-2019, 02:09 PM
Easy to blame Roethlisberger, but that doesn't mean it's right

By JIM WEXELL

It was Week 13 of the 2017 season and the Steelers were cruising along with a 9-2 record. They had won three of those games by three points, and were about to win another by the same margin that Monday night. But they also lost Ryan Shazier, the heart and soul and best player on their defense, to a broken neck.

At the end of that season, they lost Le'Veon Bell, the motor of the Steelers running game. Bell proclaimed he was holding out for the benefit of future running backs, but his altruistic talk became nothing more than blather when he informed the Steelers he would play the final six games of the 2018 season only if they pay him the full $14.5 million of his franchise tag.

And after that season, they lost Mike Munchak. The offensive line coach, who was approaching Dick LeBeau-level love and respect not only in the locker room but in the city, had a chance to work and live near his daughter, her husband and their children, in the Denver area. So he accepted a lateral move and the Steelers lost the figurehead of the backbone of their team.

Now, they are in the process of losing their best playmaker, Antonio Brown, who inexplicably quit during the final week of the season. I called it a 50-50 chance they would trade him, but after team president Art Rooney II came out and said neither he nor Mike Tomlin had heard from Brown, and that a trade was possible, I upped the odds to 70-30 that Brown will be traded. And that's being generous toward the side of reconciliation.

People in the organization still believe reconciliation is possible, but they're holding their breath in anticipation of Brown unleashing his side of the story.

It's been "reported" by ex-players in the national media - people I've never seen in the locker room - that Brown's dissatisfaction stems from Ben Roethlisberger for any of the following reasons:

to read rest of article:

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/Pittsburgh-Steelers-Ben-Roethlisberger-unjustly-taking-blame-for-alleged-team-drama-127949110/

Mojouw
01-17-2019, 02:15 PM
So may great quotes from this piece!

"The coach is no doubt looking in the mirror again this morning and pondering how he can improve as, well, a babysitter of grown men."
If that isn't a statement on the ridiculous position NFL coaches find themselves in, I don't know what is.

"That's the way it was presented in the post-season painting of the "circus" national media want you to believe the Steelers' locker room has become. It's an easy sell to disappointed fans, too."
A great call-out of lazy interpretations without any facts or evidence.

"That's my criticism, that Roethlisberger is an adrenaline junkie, and that while he's a terrific underdog, particularly when behind, he's not a great favorite, particularly with a lead."
A far better theory than anything I have ever heard before to explain the Steelers inexplicable drops in performance. One that, at least at first glance, fits the evidence better than a ton of other things (coaching, mental toughness, etc).

zulater
01-17-2019, 10:39 PM
Wexall remains the best Steeler reporter out there. He is always spot on. I told that to the people on this site when Arians was fired by Rooney and they insisted otherwise. He was right then and he's right now. Read the article. Nothing I have to add.

crcsnail
01-18-2019, 12:39 AM
That was a good read.

Michael
01-18-2019, 05:50 AM
Wexell's article was objective and fair minded. It amazes me that so many so many media pundits can defend Brown at Ben Roethlisberger's expense. B R is simply an extremely competitive athlete who as A veteran QB is capable of getting frustrated. The bullshit ignorant LIES that Tom Brady does not call his players out is simply not true.First of the Patriot players are much less inclined to act like children.( Does any one wonder Why?) I have seen Brady scream at his fellow players. I have seen Peyton Manning call out one of his fellow players in a time out huddle and he was shockling pushed in the upper body by the player he was hollering at. I have seen Manning who heard Jeff Saturday say something to a fellow player when the Colt's offense was not on the field run down the side line well over 25 yards and he stuck his finger on Saturday's chest as to say"stop your bad mouthing and get your ass in gear." Come on guys this is football and the competitors can be intense. The responsible ones show up , without their video cameras running in the locker room, crying like a spoiled little boy when he doesn't get passes thrown to him and over react with anger when a fellow receiver gets voted the team MVP by his fellow team mates.

That IMO pissed Brown off the most.

I believe strongly in redemption but it would have to be sincere & a display of vulnerability on Brown's part for this long time Steeler fan to welcome this Diva back. I think a picture of AB along side the word "DIVA" in Webster's Dictionary is all that is necessary to explain what a diva is. Steven A Smith is losing his filter of objectivity and is giving the sports public what he thinks they want to hear so he can maintain his perch over the weak minded fans., Skip Bayless is a wish washy coward in reporting and Shannon Sharpe is a simple stupid blow hard of a man.

teegre
01-18-2019, 06:41 AM
"That's my criticism, that Roethlisberger is an adrenaline junkie, and that while he's a terrific underdog, particularly when behind, he's not a great favorite, particularly with a lead."
A far better theory than anything I have ever heard before to explain the Steelers inexplicable drops in performance. One that, at least at first glance, fits the evidence better than a ton of other things (coaching, mental toughness, etc).

I have said for years that Ben plays better after he’s been hit. Not injured, but hit. (And, only once.) One of Ben’s best performances was after Ngata broke his nose.

Ergo, I have (jokingly) suggested that at the start of each game, someone should kick Ben in the shins (in order to get his adrenaline flowing).

Mojouw
01-18-2019, 11:37 AM
I have said for years that Ben plays better after he’s been hit. Not injured, but hit. (And, only once.) One of Ben’s best performances was after Ngata broke his nose.

Ergo, I have (jokingly) suggested that at the start of each game, someone should kick Ben in the shins (in order to get his adrenaline flowing).
Maybe Decastro and Pouncey should miss a block on the first pass play Longest Yard style, let Ben get hit, and then "boom" 500 yard 5 TD game.

86WARD
01-18-2019, 02:52 PM
It’s a great article.

Media has never liked Ben...forever for whatever reason.

zulater
01-18-2019, 10:24 PM
So lost in the shuffle was something completely new to me revealed in the Wexall article. That L. Bell's condition for playing out the season was to collect the entire 14.5 million dollar of the franchise tag tender for the final 6 weeks of the season! He was unlikely to even get a helmet the first two weeks after reporting.

Now maybe this isn't news to everyone? But the story that was given to all the network talking heads that I heard was that his only condition to coming in and playing out the season was that the Steelers agree not to tag him at seasons end with either the franchise or transition tag. And as a result the Steelers came off as the bad guys, more concerned with keeping a player in offseason bondage than in improving their teams chance to win in the here and now. Given as I don't believe the Steelers will tag him in any way I was confused myself why they wouldn't agree to his condition? Now it makes sense.

Of course some might say that the Steelers couldn't pay him more than the pro rated maximum of the franchise tag tender by the rules of the CBA. But that's not true. That was the minimum they could pay him. They were fully able to go up to the ceiling and even beyond as it turns out. Regardless. If this is true what a punk Bell is! Good riddance to this guy.

Born2Steel
01-19-2019, 10:09 AM
I blame Ben for SOME throws that ended up as INTs and killed drives. That's it. Grown damn men playing a sport for Millions need to handle their own and stop blaming others and culture.

zulater
01-19-2019, 11:52 AM
I blame Ben for SOME throws that ended up as INTs and killed drives. That's it. Grown damn men playing a sport for Millions need to handle their own and stop blaming others and culture.

Yep. Guy does nothing but bad.Cut his selfish fat ass. Getting rid of him should solve everything.

zulater
01-19-2019, 12:00 PM
So lost in the shuffle was something completely new to me revealed in the Wexall article. That L. Bell's condition for playing out the season was to collect the entire 14.5 million dollar of the franchise tag tender for the final 6 weeks of the season! He was unlikely to even get a helmet the first two weeks after reporting.

Now maybe this isn't news to everyone? But the story that was given to all the network talking heads that I heard was that his only condition to coming in and playing out the season was that the Steelers agree not to tag him at seasons end with either the franchise or transition tag. And as a result the Steelers came off as the bad guys, more concerned with keeping a player in offseason bondage than in improving their teams chance to win in the here and now. Given as I don't believe the Steelers will tag him in any way I was confused myself why they wouldn't agree to his condition? Now it makes sense.

Of course some might say that the Steelers couldn't pay him more than the pro rated maximum of the franchise tag tender by the rules of the CBA. But that's not true. That was the minimum they could pay him. They were fully able to go up to the ceiling and even beyond as it turns out. Regardless. If this is true what a punk Bell is! Good riddance to this guy.

So everyone already knew Bell was demanding the entire 14.5 million that came with the franchise tag paid to him for showing up at the last freaking minute? If per their plan they were going to deactivate him the first week after he reported pending his conditioning that would have put his per game earnings at 2.9 million! Prorated over 16 games that would have been 46,4 million making him easily the highest paid player in the league.

So I'm alone in this being news to or am I the only one outraged at Bell's greed and afterwards his media spin that was an out and out lie?

teegre
01-19-2019, 05:56 PM

Bell wanted his FULL salary for only playing in 6 (4?) games???

:toofunny:

pczach
01-19-2019, 06:03 PM
Bell wanted his FULL salary for only playing in 6 (4?) games???

:toofunny:

Clearly Tomlin's fault....

teegre
01-19-2019, 07:37 PM
Clearly Tomlin's fault....

Obviously.

fansince'76
01-19-2019, 07:48 PM
t's been "reported" by ex-players in the national media - people I've never seen in the locker room - that Brown's dissatisfaction stems from Ben Roethlisberger for any of the following reasons...

:scratchchin:

Interesting. Anyone else remember Brown's numbers falling off a cliff several years ago when Ben missed a few games due to injury, which culminated with Heath Miller finally telling him to STFU and stop bellyaching about not getting the ball enough for his liking?

AtlantaDan
01-19-2019, 07:59 PM
:scratchchin:

Interesting. Anyone else remember Brown's numbers falling off a cliff several years ago when Ben missed a few games due to injury, which culminated with Heath Miller finally telling him to STFU and stop bellyaching about not getting the ball enough for his liking?

Yep - that was 2015

Perhaps not a coincidence that the pot hit full boil with the acting out in 2016, starting with the recurring excessive celebration penalties and culminating with the Facebook streaming in KC, after Heath retired