PDA

View Full Version : Report: Steelers DC Keith Butler Could Have Expanded Coaching Role In 2019

Shoes
01-11-2019, 03:15 PM
I said a few weeks back if they fired Butler & Porter they might shift Butler back to LB coach, I was wrong he's going to do both. :lol:

Not only is looking like the Pittsburgh Steelers will retain Keith Butler as their defensive coordinator in 2019, he’s also likely to take over the job Joey Porter previously had on the staff, coaching the outside linebackers as well.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/report-steelers-dc-keith-butler-could-have-expanded-coaching-role-in-2019/

Lady Steel
01-11-2019, 03:19 PM
Great... just great. :doh:

AtlantaDan
01-11-2019, 04:01 PM
If Denver convinces Munchak to make a lateral move maybe Butler can coach the OL as well

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/19/Train_wreck_at_Montparnasse_1895.jpg/500px-Train_wreck_at_Montparnasse_1895.jpg

FrancoLambert
01-11-2019, 04:18 PM
Wait, wait....don’t jump to conclusions about the possible merits of this move.

We don’t know everything. It could be a good thing for our defense. Better and faster communication, no Joey Porter getting in the way.

Butler just needs more time, you watch.

:sarcasm2:

NCSteeler
01-11-2019, 04:28 PM
They guy that by all appearances has a hard time getting his job done gets extra responsibility. Won this thing is going sideways.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

86WARD
01-11-2019, 04:56 PM
I just feel like all of you are trolling me in the media and this message board...every single person...lol.

Shoes
01-11-2019, 06:38 PM
Wait, wait....don’t jump to conclusions about the possible merits of this move.

We don’t know everything. It could be a good thing for our defense. Better and faster communication, no Joey Porter getting in the way.

Butler just needs more time, you watch.

:sarcasm2:

Agreed Porter is gone, Saxon is gone, Munch on his way out. These were the major problem areas of the 2018 Steelers.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-12-2019, 12:56 AM
I think they hired Teryl Austin as DB coach to help improve the secondary....but that also puts Butler on notice as Austin has previously held the DC position in Detroit. Austin's 3 seasons were OK, but his first season the Lions had the #2 ranked defense.

Butler will be on the short leash, with role as OLB coach and if things start to slide I can see him getting the push out the door and his successor in Teryl Austin will already be on staff.

Edman
01-12-2019, 01:58 AM
No higher than 9 wins in 2019.

ALLD
01-12-2019, 05:08 AM
Butler is turning into an all-u-can-eat buffet of crappy food. Steelers need to get in some college coaches and reload with talent, not obligations.

JayC
01-12-2019, 08:45 AM
sad what this organization is becoming. it's like they do the opposite of what people think they should do, cause uhh they are smarter than the rest of us

st33lersguy
01-12-2019, 09:15 AM
This team is acting like stability and stability alone won all those Super Bowls, it didn't. You keep around incompetence, it won't lead to anything but disappointment. If the Bengals can fire their incompetent coaches, why can't the Steelers?

AtlantaDan
01-12-2019, 09:25 AM
This team is acting like stability and stability alone won all those Super Bowls, it didn't. You keep around incompetence, it won't lead to anything but disappointment. If the Bengals can fire their incompetent coaches, why can't the Steelers?

Yep - I am not a member of the "Cowher did everything better" chorus but he did not hesitate to fire underperforming assistants. No termination contributed more to the past two Super Bowl titles than canning Tim Lewis as DC and hiring LeBeau after the abysmal 2003 season even though the 2003 defense was mediocre rather than awful from a stats perspective (sound familiar?)

He [was] the fourth coordinator fired by Cowher since 1996, but the first on the defensive side of the ball. ...

Lewis, 42, was fired after leading the Steelers to No. 1 rankings in overall defense in 2001 and rushing defense in '01 and '02. The team fell to ninth and 12th in those categories [in 2003] while improving from 20th to 12th in pass defense. Under Lewis, the Steelers never finished worse than ninth in the league overall rankings (seventh, first, seventh and ninth).

https://triblive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_173331.html

Mojouw
01-12-2019, 10:03 AM
I think they hired Teryl Austin as DB coach to help improve the secondary....but that also puts Butler on notice as Austin has previously held the DC position in Detroit. Austin's 3 seasons were OK, but his first season the Lions had the #2 ranked defense.

Butler will be on the short leash, with role as OLB coach and if things start to slide I can see him getting the push out the door and his successor in Teryl Austin will already be on staff.

I think this is the biggest reason Austin was hired. He provides an in house alternative should the defense not work out in 2019.

Born2Steel
01-12-2019, 10:24 AM
What if this IS the blowing it up and starting again process? BUT, rather than do what other teams have done with starting from scratch and hoping to put pieces in place, the Steelers are replacing things a piece or 2 at a time? Honestly the blow it all up and start from scratch model hasn't really worked for teams in the past. Flashes maybe but not long term.

Maybe I just haven't gotten on the "NOW" train. I have always enjoyed watching the process and building of teams. I have been with teams that only won a game or 2 over a season and won the championship the following year, because we were patient with a plan. That is what I am trying to do watching the Steelers also. Try to focus on the successes over the failures as what we are building on. Even though I have no idea what it is, I have to believe there is a plan in place. And history has taught me to be patient.

NCSteeler
01-12-2019, 11:10 AM
What if this IS the blowing it up and starting again process? BUT, rather than do what other teams have done with starting from scratch and hoping to put pieces in place, the Steelers are replacing things a piece or 2 at a time? Honestly the blow it all up and start from scratch model hasn't really worked for teams in the past. Flashes maybe but not long term.

Maybe I just haven't gotten on the "NOW" train. I have always enjoyed watching the process and building of teams. I have been with teams that only won a game or 2 over a season and won the championship the following year, because we were patient with a plan. That is what I am trying to do watching the Steelers also. Try to focus on the successes over the failures as what we are building on. Even though I have no idea what it is, I have to believe there is a plan in place. And history has taught me to be patient.Is hardly call firing Butler , blowing it up.

Born2Steel
01-12-2019, 11:25 AM
Is hardly call firing Butler , blowing it up.

I can only guess that you meant to type that you hardly call firing Butler blowing it up. I can see that. But there were other moves which are my point. Maybe even more moves to come which is also my point. Patience with a process is my point. Not who or which and in what order.

Shoes
01-12-2019, 11:33 AM
I can only guess that you meant to type that you hardly call firing Butler blowing it up. I can see that. But there were other moves which are my point. Maybe even more moves to come which is also my point. Patience with a process is my point. Not who or which and in what order.

I can surely understand the patience, it's just the process I have no confidence in. :chuckle:

Born2Steel
01-12-2019, 11:37 AM
I can surely understand the patience, it's just the process I have no confidence in. :chuckle:

And I can certainly understand that as well. I just choose to only because that's what I do. :lala:

Shoes
01-12-2019, 11:59 AM
And I can certainly understand that as well. I just choose to only because that's what I do. :lala:

:lol:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-12-2019, 12:59 PM
I think this is the biggest reason Austin was hired. He provides an in house alternative should the defense not work out in 2019. @Mojouw

Did you know that under Austin, the 2017 Detroit Lions defense ranked #3 in takeaways?? Do you think that might be the BIGGEST reason? :wink02:

Mojouw
01-12-2019, 02:54 PM
@Mojouw

Did you know that under Austin, the 2017 Detroit Lions defense ranked #3 in takeaways?? Do you think that might be the BIGGEST reason? :wink02:

I did not! Yet another great reason. I also believe he oversaw some pretty good Ravens secondaries. Believe across 3-4 NFL teams now, young DBs have performed better under his supervision. Maybe...there is like logic and reason behind th hire...

fansince'76
01-12-2019, 03:02 PM
They guy that by all appearances has a hard time getting his job done gets extra responsibility.

:iagree:

"Fuck up and move up."

pczach
01-12-2019, 05:13 PM
@Mojouw

I love this hire for all the reasons you have been bringing up. He has had a track record of success and really adds a quality defensive mind into the equation.

I also believe that Austin and Bradley should work well together. Bradley is a teacher of the game and is big on fundamentals. Adding an experienced mind on schemes and technique feels like a great move considering the more complex and extensive responsibilities of secondary positions and the growing number of defensive backs on the field.

vader29
01-12-2019, 06:59 PM
:iagree:

"Fuck up and move up."

https://i.ibb.co/PQ8nfjP/fb-49813506-2049568698464008-5477736967888175104-n.jpg

NCSteeler
01-12-2019, 07:04 PM
I can only guess that you meant to type that you hardly call firing Butler blowing it up. I can see that. But there were other moves which are my point. Maybe even more moves to come which is also my point. Patience with a process is my point. Not who or which and in what order.The local media seems to think all exits are complete and not much more hiring if any. So I don't know where to go with all my patience. Maybe were waiting to interview Sean mcvays ball boy

Born2Steel
01-12-2019, 07:19 PM
The local media seems to think all exits are complete and not much more hiring if any. So I don't know where to go with all my patience. Maybe were waiting to interview Sean mcvays ball boy

Seems Munch’s name is still circulating despite reports that he’s staying. It’s only divisional weekend. Lots of moves to be made around the league this offseason yet. Keep being patient.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-13-2019, 01:15 AM
I love this hire for all the reasons you have been bringing up. He has had a track record of success and really adds a quality defensive mind into the equation.

I also believe that Austin and Bradley should work well together. Bradley is a teacher of the game and is big on fundamentals. Adding an experienced mind on schemes and technique feels like a great move considering the more complex and extensive responsibilities of secondary positions and the growing number of defensive backs on the field.

I am with ya. Adding Austin makes the Steelers better in the secondary IMO. If he is there to suggest to Butler not to put a ILB on a teams #1 WR, then good....and if he needs to take over the DC role after game 4 2019 because we hit Jeeves level 11, then good thing he is around.

NCSteeler
01-13-2019, 08:26 AM
Seems Munch’s name is still circulating despite reports that he’s staying. It’s only divisional weekend. Lots of moves to be made around the league this offseason yet. Keep being patient.Technically , I think munchs contract has expired. It's just a waiting game to see if he gets a ew one and with who

NCSteeler
01-13-2019, 08:29 AM
I think this is the biggest reason Austin was hired. He provides an in house alternative should the defense not work out in 2019.I like the hire,BUT if we hired a guy because we think there is a chance Butler flames out , why not just make the change now. I think the chance of Tomlin making a mid season firing is pretty low unless the person fails terribly and his hand is forced.

teegre
01-13-2019, 08:32 AM
Joey Porter is gone.
No replacement OLB coach is hired.
Butler’s role expands... to OLB coach.

Meanwhile, we have two DB coaches... one of whom has DC experience.

ARII has never allowed a Tomlin to hire/fire his own coordinators.

SUMMATION:
Tomlin is being very Machiavellian (in circumventing the system). :nod:

Mojouw
01-13-2019, 09:16 AM
Joey Porter is gone.
No replacement OLB coach is hired.
Butler’s role expands... to OLB coach.

Meanwhile, we have two DB coaches... one of whom has DC experience.

ARII has never allowed a Tomlin to hire/fire his own coordinators.

SUMMATION:
Tomlin is being very Machiavellian (in circumventing the system). :nod:

Why does everyone forget that in the yelling about TOmlin?s failures as a HC? He never got to pick his DC....

Shoes
01-13-2019, 09:22 AM
Why does everyone forget that in the yelling about TOmlin?s failures as a HC? He never got to pick his DC....

He decided to keep LeBeau when he was hired I believe.

Mojouw
01-13-2019, 09:30 AM
True...although that never sounded totally legit to me.

HC interview from nowhere to getting hired and Lebeau wasn’t forced on him at all? It made sense as Tomlin wasn’t a 3-4 guy. But we can see it now with Butler. Tomlin is a cover 0-2 kinda guy. Butler is a cover 3 zone guy. WHenever the Steelers play cover 0-2, things look better. Whenever they play Butler’s zones — things don’t.

Long story short - I think Tomlin is trying to make a Frankenstein DC that “solves the problem”.

Butler is in charge of stopping the run and rushing the passer. SOmething he can likely do well drunk and without much preparation.

Bradley and Austin are in charge of the back end and making sure SOMEONE has an idea of how to deal with empty sets and NOT putting LBs on # WRs.

Also Austin gives the team and option for an in season change.

AtlantaDan
01-13-2019, 09:45 AM

The Rooneys made a suggestion Tomlin "decided" to accept

This from the press conference announcing Tomlin's hiring

Filling out the staff is up to Tomlin, Steelers president Art Rooney II said.

But LeBeau came "strongly recommended."

The rest have been "recommended" by Rooney.

http://blackandgoldworld.blogspot.com/2007/01/mike-prisuta-tomlins-introduction.html

Nothing particularly subtle there

zulater
01-16-2019, 11:45 AM
Butler can handle the additional duties because the truth is and has been that he's only the DC in title only. Tomlin is and has been the DC of this team going back to 17. And of course this is the reason Butler wasn't fired. Because he can't be held responsible for Tomlin's creation.

86WARD
01-16-2019, 11:48 AM
There’s actually a few videos on the internet showing Tomlin make the play call and Butler call it in.

In one video, Tomlin makes the call and Porter and Butler panic because the personnel isn’t correct. Porter was the one who noticed first.

zulater
01-16-2019, 11:59 AM
There’s actually a few videos on the internet showing Tomlin make the play call and Butler call it in.

In one video, Tomlin makes the call and Porter and Butler panic because the personnel isn’t correct. Porter was the one who noticed first.

:uhoh: