PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Hire Former Bengals Defensive Coordinator

86WARD
01-11-2019, 02:47 PM
Per Adam Schefter:

Steelers hired former Bengals’ defensive coordinator Teryl Austin as senior defensive assistant with a focus on the secondary, per source.

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1083824098592075776?s=21

86WARD
01-11-2019, 02:48 PM
Lol...Admin fix the title?? Autocorrect is the best!

st33lersguy
01-11-2019, 02:51 PM
Yeah let's hire the guy who coordinated the 32nd ranked defense last year all while Forrest Gump stays as DC

tube517
01-11-2019, 02:52 PM
Weren't the Bengals last in the league in defense?

Lady Steel
"Steelers Horse" :lol:

You can edit the thread title yourself, I think, 86Ward. Just hit the edit button on your first post and you can change it there, I believe, where your threat title is. :hug:

st33lersguy
Weren't the Bengals last in the league in defense?

Yes they were

Shoes
01-11-2019, 02:53 PM
Must be another friend of Tomlin.

vader29
01-11-2019, 02:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCi-fytEQO8

Lady Steel
01-11-2019, 03:03 PM

Shoes
01-11-2019, 03:07 PM
Austin was fired by the Bengals in midseason, a bad first impression in his first year with the team.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/11/steelers-hire-teryl-austin-as-assistant-on-defense/

86WARD
01-11-2019, 03:09 PM
"Steelers Horse" :lol:

You can edit the thread title yourself, I think, 86Ward. Just hit the edit button on your first post and you can change it there, I believe, where your threat title is. :hug:

In the past I wasn’t able to...but I’ll check...lol

Lady Steel
01-11-2019, 03:29 PM

GoSlash27
01-11-2019, 03:53 PM
That's definitely not a "culture" move. The Bengals defense is a bunch of punks.

FrancoLambert
01-11-2019, 04:25 PM
Yeah let's hire the guy who coordinated the 32nd ranked defense last year all while Forrest Gump stays as DC

:clap2:

FrancoLambert
01-11-2019, 04:32 PM
Wait, the Bengals fire him and we hire him?

The optimistic view, knowing how the Bengals roll, would be if the Bengals thought so little of him, the opposite must be true and he’s very talented.

And I believe in unicorns.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-11-2019, 04:52 PM
Good move IMO. Teryl Austin is a well regarded defensive back coach. He had good runs with the Seahawks when they went to the Super Bowl XL, then the Cardinals when they again met the Steelers in the Super Bowl and next the Ravens when they won the Super Bowl vs the 49ers.

Michael
01-11-2019, 05:34 PM
We Steeler fans are so "beaten op" & bullshitted to that we don't trust anybody. I include myself in this group. I am asking myself who is making these decisions. It concerns me that the worst decision maker I know of is in fact making these decisions and is also the one who is not going to make changes where he should. Bubble gum anybody.

Method28
01-11-2019, 08:09 PM
Good move IMO. Teryl Austin is a well regarded defensive back coach. He had good runs with the Seahawks when they went to the Super Bowl XL, then the Cardinals when they again met the Steelers in the Super Bowl and next the Ravens when they won the Super Bowl vs the 49ers.And that's a BINGO

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Fire Goodell
01-11-2019, 09:05 PM
Good move IMO. Teryl Austin is a well regarded defensive back coach. He had good runs with the Seahawks when they went to the Super Bowl XL, then the Cardinals when they again met the Steelers in the Super Bowl and next the Ravens when they won the Super Bowl vs the 49ers.

Considering that the Bengals are king at making shitty coaching moves (ie keeping marvin lewis all this time), maybe it's a good sign he was fired right away lol

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-12-2019, 12:52 AM
Considering that the Bengals are king at making shitty coaching moves (ie keeping marvin lewis all this time), maybe it's a good sign he was fired right away lol

Agreed, The guy has been DB coach on 3 separate teams that went to the Super Bowl, then he became DC in Detroit where Glover Quinn and Darius Slay both had pro bowl seasons in his secondary. He is pretty much the best DB coach the Steelers have had since Ray Horton. Maybe not the best DC, but a great DB coach.

If you have a problem with this hire, then you just don't know how good Austin is, or you are a flat out pessimist. (or both).

teegre
01-12-2019, 07:04 AM
Agreed, The guy has been DB coach on 3 separate teams that went to the Super Bowl, then he became DC in Detroit where Glover Quinn and Darius Slay both had pro bowl seasons in his secondary. He is pretty much the best DB coach the Steelers have had since Ray Horton. Maybe not the best DC, but a great DB coach.

:nod:

Munchak couldn’t cut it as a HC, but he’s an excellent O-line coach.

Wade Phillips couldn’t cut it as a HC, but he’s an excellent DC.

Norv Turner couldn’t cut it as a HC, but he’s an excellent OC.

Teryl Austin couldn’t cut it as a DC, but he’s an excellent DBs coach.

AtlantaDan
01-12-2019, 08:38 AM

If you have a problem with this hire, then you just don't know how good Austin is, or you are a flat out pessimist. (or both).

Steelers need all the coaching help they can get since the only current assistant coach who clearly is top tier may be headed to Denver with the always popular explanation he wants to spend more time with his family.

So if Austin is the best DB coach the Steelers have had since Horton where would that leave Tom Bradley?

Steelers allegedly concluded they had too many LB coaches and may not fill the Porter vacancy by having Butler becoming more involved with LBs but now are going to have two coaches try to figure out how to split oversight of the DBs?

Seems to be some internal inconsistency there assuming Steelers simply do not want to concede Bradley did not work out but do not want to fire him

Meanwhile no indication Tomlin is going to admit he needs some help on challenges and have some current or new coach be upstairs to watch replays to help out with that ongoing cluster

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-12-2019, 12:58 PM
So if Austin is the best DB coach the Steelers have had since Horton where would that leave Tom Bradley?

It leaves Bradley as the DB coach and Austin as somebody that will work with Bradley to improve the DB group and play. It also leaves Austin on the staff to become the possible Defensive Coordinator if Butler stumbles.

As D coordinator, Austin played an aggressive 4-3 in Detroit with Suh, Nick Fairley, DeAndre Levy when he arrived in 2014, but lost those big playmakers on the front 7, but while transitioning up front the 2017 Detroit Lions finished 3rd in takeaways with Darrius Slay and Glover Quinn in the secondary.

So a talented DB coach became available on the open market and he signed with the Steelers …...what is the possible downside that fans here would like to complain about?

86WARD
01-12-2019, 12:59 PM
It leaves Bradley as the DB coach and Austin as somebody that will work with Bradley to improve the DB group and play. It also leaves Austin on the staff to become the possible Defensive Coordinator if Butler stumbles.

As D coordinator, Austin played an aggressive 4-3 in Detroit with Suh, Nick Fairley, DeAndre Levy when he arrived in 2014, but lost those big playmakers on the front 7, but while transitioning up front the 2017 Detroit Lions finished 3rd in takeaways with Darrius Slay and Glover Quinn in the secondary.

So a talented DB coach became available on the open market and he signed with the Steelers …...what is the possible downside that fans here would like to complain about?

Downside is he becomes DC.

DesertSteel
01-12-2019, 01:07 PM
Downside is he becomes DC.
Yes we want to do all we can to hold on to Butler!

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-12-2019, 01:32 PM

yeah, I can see why keeping Butler is the absolute must in this entire situation.

Some people have a rare skill of being able to find problems with everything and point them out....but not offer a possible solution. They are highly valued in the worlds of business, science, technology and Steelers Message Boards.

AtlantaDan
01-12-2019, 01:41 PM

I am not complaining just asking if it creates more opportunity for uncertainty about who reports to who

The secondary needs improvement but so does Tomlin getting some outside input on challenges

With Butler staying do not see anything yet that impacts what Tomlin has been doing - which is fine with me - if he goes down in 2019 he can choose who is on deck with him when the ship sinks

Shoes
01-12-2019, 01:48 PM
Let's see what he can do with Artie Burns. :chuckle:

Born2Steel
01-12-2019, 01:59 PM

If Burns can somehow get back to where he was at the end of the 2017 season. He regressed mightily in 2018. Don't know why so hopefully there is still something there. Otherwise Burns replaces Jarvis as the biggest draft bust, IMO.

vader29
01-12-2019, 02:46 PM

https://i.ibb.co/3hjv3vR/ta.jpg

:chuckle:

Shoes
01-12-2019, 03:12 PM
https://i.ibb.co/3hjv3vR/ta.jpg

:chuckle:

:lol:

Bluecoat96
01-12-2019, 03:36 PM
Maybe we FINALLY have someone on staff that can scout and develop DBs. One can hope.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

86WARD
01-12-2019, 04:16 PM

Dumb and Dumber.

HollywoodSteel
01-12-2019, 05:29 PM
I totally don’t understand the downside to this hire. Is it just because it gives us the OPTION of firing Butler in-season, should circumstances warrant an in-season firing?

Because if we didn’t hire this guy as a second DB coach, we’d then be FORCED to not fire Butler should circumstances warrant it?

Seriously, am I missing something?

Or is the argument that we should fire Butler now, and this hiring just REMINDS us that we aren’t doing that?

I mean, I don’t even know if this guy is a bad DC. All I know is that Marvin Lewis chose to fire him rather than fire himself. That’s literally all I’m understanding from this thread... except that the guy was actually a very good DB coach when he was with Detroit.

I’m just not really sure how hiring the dude made our defense worse.

I mean it’s TOTALLY possible that this is a bad hire. I just still haven’t heard why.

NCSteeler
01-12-2019, 07:03 PM
They basically said they want to play more DBs and less LBs so it makes sense to roll with out a Porter replacement and add a guy to focus on a part of the DB game. What I never understand in the NFL. Is basically an open budget why not have lots of coaches

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-13-2019, 01:32 AM
I totally don’t understand the downside to this hire. Is it just because it gives us the OPTION of firing Butler in-season, should circumstances warrant an in-season firing?

Because if we didn’t hire this guy as a second DB coach, we’d then be FORCED to not fire Butler should circumstances warrant it?

Seriously, am I missing something?

Or is the argument that we should fire Butler now, and this hiring just REMINDS us that we aren’t doing that?

I mean, I don’t even know if this guy is a bad DC. All I know is that Marvin Lewis chose to fire him rather than fire himself. That’s literally all I’m understanding from this thread... except that the guy was actually a very good DB coach when he was with Detroit.

I’m just not really sure how hiring the dude made our defense worse.

I mean it’s TOTALLY possible that this is a bad hire. I just still haven’t heard why.

He actually was the DC in Detroit, not a DB coach. His defense was top 5 his first season and that Detroit defense ranked #3 in takeaways. There were some concerns his last seasons, but was considered to be one of the up and coming defensive minds in the game in 2017.

Austin was DB coach of 3 different teams that went to the Super Bowl and coached a lot of good Db's, so I agree its a good addition to the staff. Fact that he has DC experience gives the Steelers a chance to give him an on the job interview and possibly have him replace Butler at the end of 2019, if not sooner.

I agree, hiring him makes the defense better, not worse.

86WARD
01-13-2019, 07:48 AM

The ultimate test!! If he’s that good of a DB Coach...should be now problem right? lol.

teegre
01-13-2019, 08:15 AM
The ultimate test!! If he’s that good of a DB Coach...should be now problem right? lol.

At least it’s a huge ball of clay (from which to work).

Burns has everything he needs in order to be successful... except for a) coaching, and more importantly b) confidence.

Steeldude
01-13-2019, 11:40 AM
If Burns can somehow get back to where he was at the end of the 2017 season. He regressed mightily in 2018. Don't know why so hopefully there is still something there. Otherwise Burns replaces Jarvis as the biggest draft bust, IMO.

Burns wasn't good at the end of the 2107 season either. Burns is a horrible player. That's all there is to it. Fans here kept clinging to Jarvis Jones too.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-13-2019, 02:16 PM
At least it’s a huge ball of clay (from which to work).

Burns has everything he needs in order to be successful... except for a) coaching, and more importantly b) confidence.

I'm gonna disagree here. Burns is a dried up ball of clay. He never learned any decent technique and has not shown any sense of being able to recognize offensive concepts that he is to defend. He still is an Opposing QB's dream matchup, because he bites hard on double moves or is confused by his coverage responsibility in flooded zones.

Burns might find a spot on the NFL as a sub package corner playing man coverage in the slot, but he is pretty much washing out of the NFL right now.

Born2Steel
01-13-2019, 02:21 PM
I'm gonna disagree here. Burns is a dried up ball of clay. He never learned any decent technique and has not shown any sense of being able to recognize offensive concepts that he is to defend. He still is an Opposing QB's dream matchup, because he bites hard on double moves or is confused by his coverage responsibility in flooded zones.

Burns might find a spot on the NFL as a sub package corner playing man coverage in the slot, but he is pretty much washing out of the NFL right now.

A man coverage slot CB you say? That may very well be where Burns can excel and make a career. Unfortunately he has shown he is too football dumb to play any type of zone. So I don't think he will make that career here.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-13-2019, 02:25 PM
A man coverage slot CB you say? That may very well be where Burns can excel and make a career. Unfortunately he has shown he is too football dumb to play any type of zone. So I don't think he will make that career here.

I agree. I think somebody will give him another shot after the Steelers, but more likely any career he might have could be in the CFL or XFL if they bring that back.

Shoes
01-13-2019, 02:28 PM
Burns is a head case. You won't hear his name again once he leaves Pitt.

Fire Goodell
01-13-2019, 02:52 PM

He needs more than just to learn zone. He doesn't ever turn around and play the ball which will get him flagged for PI a lot like he has been