PDA

View Full Version : Looking like Butler may be here to stay :(

Dwinsgames
01-09-2019, 03:26 PM
why not just shoot me now ?

86WARD
01-09-2019, 03:30 PM
Tomlin will take the easy way out and just not renew Butlers contract at the end of 2019 when we are all sitting here in the same position as we are now...

pczach
01-09-2019, 03:37 PM
I'm hoping Kevin Colbert adds so much talent to this defense in the draft and free agency that not even Butler can screw it up.

DesertSteel
01-09-2019, 03:47 PM
I never thought for one minute that Tomlin would fire Butler. I think that in many ways Tomlin lives in denial. I also think he is an extremely poor evaluator of talent - players and coaches. I don't trust Tomlin to put the right players on the field and I don't trust him to keep the right coaches. I'm not sure what he actually does well, although he gets lots of credit for never being worse than 8-8.

Shoes
01-09-2019, 03:47 PM
Can't fire Butler when Tomlin was also calling the plays. Who knows it may have been Tomlin putting linebackers on #1 WR

Fire Goodell
01-09-2019, 04:33 PM
to be 100% fair though, the defense has improved this year. danny smith is the guy that really needs to go however

GoSlash27
01-09-2019, 04:42 PM
Counterpoint: The strategy to shut down the Carolina Panthers "triple option" offense was pure genius.
Just out of curiosity, who gets credit for that? Tomlin or Butler?

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
01-09-2019, 04:42 PM
Tomlin will take the easy way out and just not renew Butlers contract at the end of 2019 when we are all sitting here in the same position as we are now... Tomlin is busy watching The Flow of his contract.

Michael
01-09-2019, 05:35 PM
I never thought for one minute that Tomlin would fire Butler. I think that in many ways Tomlin lives in denial. I also think he is an extremely poor evaluator of talent - players and coaches. I don't trust Tomlin to put the right players on the field and I don't trust him to keep the right coaches. I'm not sure what he , actually does well, although he gets lots of credit for never being worse than 8-8.
&
Lets be clear thinking. 8 & 8 , Winning the division or just getting into the play offs and getting bounced is "NOT THE STANDARD" in Pittsburgh. I am like Desert Steel and Im not sure what he does well. I do know what he does badly .

Shoes
01-09-2019, 06:44 PM
Lolley: Tomlin is expected to be finished with staff changes. If so what was really changed? I mean really?

st33lersguy
01-09-2019, 08:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBDi0iM2kcU

Edman
01-09-2019, 09:16 PM
Nothing will change on the Steelers until Tomlin is gone. As long as the "No Losing Seasons" participation trophy is there. It will take a stretch of awfulness for true changes to be made.

2019 will be a washout, and so will 2020.

hawaiiansteeler
01-09-2019, 09:21 PM
Lolley: Tomlin is expected to be finished with staff changes. If so what was really changed? I mean really?

2 positional coaches whose contracts had expired were not renewed.

sweeping changes...

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
01-10-2019, 03:07 AM

sweeping changes... Tomlin continues to Unleash Hell in January!

Steeldude
01-10-2019, 06:56 AM

Nothing. It will be a repeat of this last season, but worse.

Michael
01-10-2019, 09:11 AM
I am asking myself if Rooney is just willing to enjoy to the good & opulent life of an NFL owner and be content with maintaining personnel stability go with the flow. I just hope there are serious & intelligent conversations going on behind closed doors. There is still time t make changes & we will just have to wait & see.

Mach1
01-10-2019, 10:54 AM
The standard is the standard.
As long as Tomlin is here this team will never sniff a superbowl again.

NCSteeler
01-10-2019, 11:48 AM
I'm dangerously close to checking out in the realm of casual fan .

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

DesertSteel
01-10-2019, 11:56 AM
I am asking myself if Rooney is just willing to enjoy to the good & opulent life of an NFL owner and be content with maintaining personnel stability go with the flow. I just hope there are serious & intelligent conversations going on behind closed doors. There is still time t make changes & we will just have to wait & see.
He hasn’t demonstrated anything more than that to me since he took over.

- - - Updated - - -

sweeping changes...
Maybe they could also add a FT psychiatrist!

86WARD
01-10-2019, 12:45 PM
Danny Smith's Steelers special teams:
• 27 penalties. Most in the NFL.
• 257 penalty yards. Most in the NFL.
• 29th in punting average.
• Least accurate kicker. Missed the most extra points.

Dwinsgames
01-10-2019, 01:57 PM

But he is employed !!

Mike Tomlin knows excellence when he sees it ......

( this message is DRIPPING with sarcasm )

Shoes
01-10-2019, 01:59 PM
:chuckle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5zGkqAWsWE

Hawkman
01-10-2019, 02:10 PM
I'm dangerously close to checking out in the realm of casual fan .

.....and you’re telling us why?

st33lersguy
01-10-2019, 02:16 PM
I think this team is in need of a 4-12 season to finally shake things up and start making necessary changes to possibly open up the door for the Super Bowl. It's clear one-and-done playoff exits and barely missing the playoffs are allowing for the status quo to continue. 2 assistant coaches are just let go, one of them who was good are you kidding me? Keith Butler not only doesn't know how to scheme but doesn't know which players aren't on IR at any given moment, and he keeps his job? Danny Smith who should have been fired 5 years ago still has a job? I guess Art is content with keeping the Steelers in the massive underachiever phase while Tomlin coasts off of a Super Bowl win 10 years ago and doing just enough not to have a losing season. Mike Brown at least finally got rid of his massively underachieving head coach and stopped settling for the sad state his team had remained in for years. Sad this team can't seem to do that

GoSlash27
01-10-2019, 07:57 PM
Counterpoint: The strategy to shut down the Carolina Panthers "triple option" offense was pure genius.

Bump? I never got an answer to this.

FrancoLambert
01-10-2019, 09:07 PM

Pretty amazing that these stats scream out incompetence to us, and yet he retains his job.

To be fair, can’t blame the chewer for Boswell’s poor performance.

86WARD
01-11-2019, 07:43 AM
Pretty amazing that these stats scream out incompetence to us, and yet he retains his job.

To be fair, can’t blame the chewer for Boswell’s poor performance.

Sure you can. He should be able to get Boswell back on track if he’s a good coach. It’s not like Boswell had this type of history in his past where it couldn’t be fixed. Since I love Danny Smith so much, I’ll go further and say he’s the reason Scobee was trash when in Pittsburgh...lol.

vader29
01-11-2019, 07:50 AM

Obviously Cowher.

Born2Steel
01-11-2019, 07:51 AM

Are you serious? You expect people on this forum to give credit to our coaches? If you read the posts in most of the threads the Steelers ONLY win win the players take it upon themselves to win in spite of the coaching. And that is ONLY when the players are not being selfish divas and me first millennials. There is simply no way a team of this culture could possibly put together a winning gameplan. So no, you will receive no honest or well thought out answers, only snarky responses. Welcome to the new Steelers Universe.

Mojouw
01-11-2019, 09:20 AM
And the NE game as well. Also the Falcons gameplan. All three were excellent. I suspect those game plans are the result of Tomlin exerting influence on Butler.

Why the Chargers plan was so insistent on keeping LBs on the slot receiver makes zero sense when you can look at the other games I listed and the plan was so well conceived.

86WARD
01-11-2019, 11:57 AM
All those Game Plans were great and what ever process they used to develop those, should be used on a weekly basis. The other weeks though...

GoSlash27
01-11-2019, 04:16 PM
All those Game Plans were great and what ever process they used to develop those, should be used on a weekly basis. The other weeks though...

I think that's what they're trying to do; create a defense that is so flexible that it doesn't have an identity. They can just 'morph' into a defense that is tailored to defeat whatever opponent they're facing that week.

It worked a few times this season, failed miserably other times. Whoever is responsible for it should be given the credit and the blame. I'm just curious who you folks believe that person is.

NCSteeler
01-11-2019, 04:29 PM
Bump? I never got an answer to this.Who the hell knows. Do you have insight as to who is building each game plan? Hey even a blind squirrel can find a nut every once in a while.

NCSteeler
01-11-2019, 04:33 PM
Are you serious? You expect people on this forum to give credit to our coaches? If you read the posts in most of the threads the Steelers ONLY win win the players take it upon themselves to win in spite of the coaching. And that is ONLY when the players are not being selfish divas and me first millennials. There is simply no way a team of this culture could possibly put together a winning gameplan. So no, you will receive no honest or well thought out answers, only snarky responses. Welcome to the new Steelers Universe.IDK lots of folks say we shouldn't guess or comment on something we don't know. I can't imagine anyone on this board has any idea who is building the game plans each week but I would suspect a big part of the Carolina game was typical road team play on a Thursday, and a small notice to the fact that the mighty Panthers went on a horrendous slide because Newton played hurt

GoSlash27
01-11-2019, 06:37 PM
IDK lots of folks say we shouldn't guess or comment on something we don't know. I can't imagine anyone on this board has any idea who is building the game plans each week but I would suspect a big part of the Carolina game was typical road team play on a Thursday, and a small notice to the fact that the mighty Panthers went on a horrendous slide because Newton played hurt

No, that wasn't the case at all. The defensive scheme against Carolina was deliberate, and a radical departure from preceding and subsequent Steelers defenses. The Panthers were using 3 running threats to keep defenses in a reactive scheme, and it was working up until the Steelers game.
The Steelers *intentionally* over- committed on Newton personally, largely ignoring the other threats even when it burned them. The strategy was brilliant and simple: If Newton presented himself as a possible running threat, nail him... even if you're not sure he has the ball. Rinse and repeat as necessary until the Panthers get the hint and are forced to protect him. Once that happens, the Panthers are forced into a conventional scheme where Newton isn't so hot.

This isn't a mode that the Steelers operated in before (or after) this one specific game. Likewise the other games mentioned upstream. The Steelers defense "morphed" to control the opposing offense, showing schemes that weren't on film and couldn't be planned for.

Somebody somewhere was saying "here is how we beat these effers" and then spent the week practicing a defense that wasn't in the play book. I don't know if that "somebody" was Tomlin or Butler, but whoever it was deserves credit for the successes as well as blame for the failures.

Shoes
01-11-2019, 06:44 PM
I think that's what they're trying to do; create a defense that is so flexible that it doesn't have an identity. They can just 'morph' into a defense that is tailored to defeat whatever opponent they're facing that week.

It worked a few times this season, failed miserably other times. Whoever is responsible for it should be given the credit and the blame. I'm just curious who you folks believe that person is.

That's just it, no one knows because both Tomlin & Butler are involved and they haven't said who is doing what.

GoSlash27
01-11-2019, 06:53 PM
[/B]

That's just it, no one knows because both Tomlin & Butler are involved and they haven't said who is doing what.

But are they though? Is Tomlin involved in the strategic planning of defensive schemes and coaching players in their execution? I haven't read anything suggesting that.

Shoes
01-11-2019, 07:09 PM
But are they though? Is Tomlin involved in the strategic planning of defensive schemes and coaching players in their execution? I haven't read anything suggesting that.

From what I've read Butler is involved with the game planning and does some play calling but Tomlin can and does overrule him in critical situations. This could be the problem with the defense. There are other questions also like is someone else involved in the game planing with Butler? What plays does Tomlin call? And why would you overrule your DC unless you didn't have complete trust in him? And why would you keep him as DC?

86WARD
01-11-2019, 07:11 PM

I’m still convinced that they don’t always scheme for a specific team.

43Hitman
01-11-2019, 08:44 PM
I’m still convinced that they don’t always scheme for a specific team.

I think they scheme specifically for teams they deem a threat, which on its face sounds absurd, but then you look at their track record and it makes perfect sense. Which points to arrogance. And we've all seen this team in the last five years go out of their way to be arrogant. It shows on the field and in interviews with players and coaches. I don't know who the problem resides with as I have no knowledge of the internal workings of the Steelers, but the buck should stop at Tomlin and ultimately with Rooney. The fact, in my opinion, that they don't scheme specifically for EVERY team is just ridiculous and is simply not to the standard we expect, especially when we were told by this coaching staff that they would do just that. I really thought that this shit show would be flushed with the season, but it appears to me that there is a plugged pipe somewhere and now all the shit is backing up on the floor. Someone hand Tomlin a mop.