PDA

View Full Version : RB Coach James Saxon Fired

86WARD
01-07-2019, 03:31 PM
Coach Mike Tomlin's statement on James Saxon:

I have made the decision to not renew the contract for running backs coach James Saxon. We would like to thank James for his efforts over the past five years, and we wish him the best in his future coaching endeavors.

Tomlin statement on Saxon https://www.steelers.com/news/tomlin-statement-on-saxon

AtlantaDan
01-07-2019, 03:36 PM
Coach Mike Tomlin's statement on James Saxon:

I have made the decision to not renew the contract for running backs coach James Saxon. We would like to thank James for his efforts over the past five years, and we wish him the best in his future coaching endeavors.

Tomlin statement on Saxon https://www.steelers.com/news/tomlin-statement-on-saxon

:noidea:

Because Conner and Samuels so obviously failed to meet expectations?

If Butler and Danny Smith stay while Saxon goes I give up

86WARD
01-07-2019, 03:38 PM
Make Le’Veon Bell an All-Star. Make James Conner an All-Star. Make Jaylen Samuels a capable NFL starting RB.

“You’re contract won’t be renewed. Good luck in your endeavors elsewhere.”

Lol. These are the changes...

[emoji1303][emoji1303]

86WARD
01-07-2019, 03:39 PM

Maybe they are working their way up and these are just the appetizers in Porter and Saxon...

st33lersguy
01-07-2019, 03:45 PM
Wow, Tomlin managed to fire one of his 2 assistant coaches that was actually worth keeping. This level of incompetence is actually quite impressive, and the other good assistant coach will likely defect to a head coaching position elsewhere

steelreserve
01-07-2019, 03:47 PM
Well, that's just super.

tube517
01-07-2019, 03:47 PM
Ridiculous.

Michael
01-07-2019, 03:48 PM
Make Le’Veon Bell an All-Star. Make James Conner an All-Star. Make Jaylen Samuels a capable NFL starting RB.

[emoji1303][emoji1303]

Mike Tomlin never ceases to amaze me.If he told me that the Monongahela & Allegheny Rivers flow into the Ohio River I would not believe him.

86WARD
01-07-2019, 03:49 PM
Watching Samuels from his first game to his second game, you could clearly see he was coached up with the way he was running and the faster decisions he was making.

Iron Steeler
01-07-2019, 03:49 PM

[emoji1303][emoji1303]

This is just embarrassing

Edman
01-07-2019, 03:53 PM
Scapegoat. Of all the positions that consistently fell short, RB wasn't one of them.

Mikey continues to prove he is way in over his head in the NFL.

86WARD
01-07-2019, 03:55 PM
Maybe Saxon and Porter are part of the culture problem?

GoSlash27
01-07-2019, 04:01 PM
Interesting. Maybe 'cuz he couldn't coach Conner to protect the ball?

Shoes
01-07-2019, 04:02 PM
We don't need a RB coach, Ben and his caddy are going to throw the ball on every down.

hawaiiansteeler
01-07-2019, 04:16 PM

agreed

JayC
01-07-2019, 04:19 PM
hmm RB coach was the issue? interesting take by management

Shoes
01-07-2019, 04:20 PM
https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/steelers-fire-rbs-coach-james-saxon/

vasteeler
01-07-2019, 04:22 PM

Ding ding ding ding

Mojouw
01-07-2019, 04:24 PM
Some of the recent "hot" offensive coordinator and even head coach hires/names got their start coaching RBs or other offensive positions. Maybe the Steelers want to get younger and more innovative up and down the coaching roster?

IDK.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-07-2019, 04:29 PM
Some of the recent "hot" offensive coordinator and even head coach hires/names got their start coaching RBs or other offensive positions. Maybe the Steelers want to get younger and more innovative up and down the coaching roster?

IDK.

Does younger mean more innovative? Do you think the Steelers want to get younger and more innovative, or is that something that you want?

vader29
01-07-2019, 04:31 PM

Shoes
01-07-2019, 04:33 PM

If this is so, Butler should have been the first to go. Why would you fire Saxon who was productive?

Bluecoat96
01-07-2019, 04:35 PM
1082393936315011072If that's the case, then you have to think that someone like Kevin Greene with his military background would be a perfect replacement for Porter....if he will be available.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

BlackAndGold
01-07-2019, 04:44 PM

Okay explain why Butler still has a job?

NCSteeler
01-07-2019, 04:55 PM
RB coach didn't seem to be a problem the last two seasons anyhow. I just don't get it

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

NCSteeler
01-07-2019, 04:57 PM
" In 18 NFL seasons as a running backs coach, Saxon had one of his backs reach the Pro Bowl 15 times."

Seems like a good coach maybe he's always been lucky to have Superior talent

Mojouw
01-07-2019, 05:07 PM
Does younger mean more innovative? Do you think the Steelers want to get younger and more innovative, or is that something that you want?

Pure speculation. Fichtner has talked about how Ben doesn't really know or like running RPO's. RPO involved offenses are dominating the NFL at present. You are at the tail end of Ben's career and have attempted to obtain an in-house replacement in Mason Rudolph. Rudolph does not seem to be the same type of QB as Ben and may not do well in the same offensive scheme.

Additionally, offensive line blocking schemes across college have changed and the style of offensive line that the Steelers play is getting harder and harder to find. Hence the Steelers non-first round lineman (and it isn't just the Steelers) come from relatively obscure schools.

Overall, the Steelers coaching staff is old(er) and has been in the NFL for years (primarily). I strongly believe the Steelers staff has a lack of young(er) coaches that are steeped in the types of blocking schemes, offensive systems, and general approaches that the majority of the NCAA teams are running. As the cycle of idea movement from the NCAA level to the NFL gets shorter and shorter, that could be an incredible disadvantage.

So, this is pure speculation and personal preference, I want to get younger up and down the position coach and lower level assistant coaching roster. And perhaps "younger" is the wrong term for what I mean. I want additionally perspectives and ideas from new angles. Arians ---> Haley ----> Fichtner is not exactly a straight line, but it isn't phenomenally different. It is time to get some new voices at the table.

Dwinsgames
01-07-2019, 05:08 PM
it is clear Tomlin has no fucking clue ....

BlackAndGold
01-07-2019, 05:17 PM
At least fire Danny Smith also.

Born2Steel
01-07-2019, 05:51 PM
I think it will be fun to let the process play out and see what happens before judging the firings.

Mojouw
01-07-2019, 05:55 PM
I think it will be fun to let the process play out and see what happens before judging the firings.

Nah. Why would anyone one do that? Gotta make sure you get in early with your definitive opinions and final statements before you have all the information. Or else how would anyone know how smart you are?

Duh! :)

86WARD
01-07-2019, 05:58 PM
At least fire Danny Smith also.

This is an absolute must....way overdue...years overdue.

Dwinsgames
01-07-2019, 06:10 PM

its clear Saxon had nothing to do with putting slow of foot ILBs in coverage vs Legit #1 wr's .... but that guy is still here

its also pretty clear that Conner and Samuels stepped up big time as a second year player and rookie respectively ( something Saxon does control )

Saxon also had nothing to do with special teams coaching that watched one of the best kickers in the league the last several years turn into one of the worst in the league overnight .... but that guy is still here

Saxon isnt the guy with the red flag in his pocket that has not won a meaningful challenge in forever , has no clue how to manage a clock , is clueless about setting the tone for proper locker room and team culture and allows his teams to continualy play down to its competition .. cause that guy is still here too ....

Tomlin would not know a good football coach if it walked up to him and punched him in the face

fansince'76
01-07-2019, 06:47 PM

This.

silver & black
01-07-2019, 07:06 PM
Nah. Why would anyone one do that? Gotta make sure you get in early with your definitive opinions and final statements before you have all the information. Or else how would anyone know how smart you are?

I stay out of this stuff in your house.... but I just about spit my bourbon through my nose reading that!

Being a fan of a team that has flat out sucked for the better part of two decades............. reading this stuff from Steelers fans is like being at home on my own forum...lol.:heh:

I'll stay out of this from here on out.... but I fully understand how Steelers fans feel right now.

Hawkman
01-07-2019, 07:42 PM

Perfect!:chuckle:

Fire Goodell
01-07-2019, 07:46 PM
danny smith still got a job? smdh

Devilsdancefloor
01-07-2019, 07:47 PM

I'm guessing this no matter how good you are if you are being a dividing force you should be gone,

FrancoLambert
01-07-2019, 08:09 PM
So, us fans who have watched Danny Smith’s special teams perform dismally for several years, and then question the firing of the running backs coach whose players have done well under his tutelage are guilty of being too quick to question the decision makers.

We’ll never know everything. What went on in behind the scenes.....

All we can do is judge and form an opinion on what we see. Special teams....RB’S....take your pick.

Mojouw
01-07-2019, 08:16 PM
Perhaps the firings continue. If Smith and Butler or even one of those guys is ushered out, much of this may take on a different light. Additionally, we have no idea who is being named as the replacement. Perhaps the Steelers are unwilling to change their OC or HC, but view RBs coach (or QB coach) as a position to snag someone off the Reid, McVeigh, or Shannahan trees that are permeating offenses throughout the league.

OR maybe they hire the same old same old. Remains to be seen.

hawaiiansteeler
01-07-2019, 08:33 PM
This is an absolute must....way overdue...years overdue.

Joe Starkey: Steelers' special teams are a hideous disaster

JOE STARKEY
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
DEC 6, 2018

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/joe-starkey/2018/12/06/Joe-Starkey-Steelers-special-teams-are-a-hideous-disaster/stories/201812060168

Craic
01-07-2019, 08:43 PM

And if this is true and the only reason he's been let go, then it's cutting off the nose to spite the face.

Hound
01-07-2019, 09:05 PM
The Steelers May me cutting the so called player coaches in an attempt to change the current and future culture. Rumor was Porter was let go for causing division, could be the same reason. It’s not like anyone on this site has a personal relationship with Saxon and know how he was in the locker room. Could be a culture changing move.

Shoes
01-07-2019, 10:04 PM
Yes, "culture" the new word in Pittsburgh.

I haven't read one negative thing about Saxon by any team, player or media, in fact its all been the opposite.

Interesting read about Saxon from early November. There is something shitty in Steelerville.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/11/10/18063654/james-saxon-the-pittsburgh-steelers-running-back-whisperer-adrian-peterson-nfl-news-vikings

Dwinsgames
01-07-2019, 10:27 PM
Perhaps the firings continue. If Smith and Butler or even one of those guys is ushered out, much of this may take on a different light. Additionally, we have no idea who is being named as the replacement. Perhaps the Steelers are unwilling to change their OC or HC, but view RBs coach (or QB coach) as a position to snag someone off the Reid, McVeigh, or Shannahan trees that are permeating offenses throughout the league.

OR maybe they hire the same old same old. Remains to be seen.

problem with that is Saxon is the best on the league at what he does he is the Munchak of RB coaches

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't read one negative thing about Saxon by any team, player or media, in fact its all been the opposite.

Interesting read about Saxon from early November. There is something shitty in Steelerville.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/11/10/18063654/james-saxon-the-pittsburgh-steelers-running-back-whisperer-adrian-peterson-nfl-news-vikings

anything I have ever read on Saxon has been glowing

Shoes
01-07-2019, 10:44 PM
I don't get these people that say the Steelers want to go in a different direction. Like what direction? Not having running backs? I mean running backs run, block and catch passes. Saxon's players excelled in all of that. What other direction is there for a RB?

Mojouw
01-07-2019, 11:28 PM
I don't get these people that say the Steelers want to go in a different direction. Like what direction? Not having running backs? I mean running backs run, block and catch passes. Saxon's players excelled in all of that. What other direction is there for a RB?

It may not be about the RBs themselves but the structure of the coaching staff and what else the staff can do besides coach RBs. For instance the Browns found an OC in their RBs coach. Saxon is not a guy that is going to take that step.

I have no idea what the Steelers plan is at this point. But I would welcome a return to the times when position coach jobs were incubators for future coordinators on both sides of the ball. The staff used to be structured that way.

If a team truly wants to change up its culture and mindset, in addition to roster turnover you may need to shed position coaches who only want to be position coaches. Perhaps hungry position coaches who want to claw their way up the coaching ladder may spark new approaches or bring challenging ideas to the table.

I am likely all wet here. It is impossible to tell until the new staff is installed. But just as “iron sharpens iron” for players, maybe bringing in fresh voices who bring a reasonable amount of change to the table might be the same for a coaching staff who has grown stale.

Of course none of this matters if bigger changes are not in the offing. Personally, I wouldn’t be upset if the entire staff short of TOmlin, Bradley, Munch, the WRs coach, and the DL coach were turned over. Hire position coaches that want to be coordinators, coordinators that want to be head coaches, and assistants to the assistants that want to be position coaches, etc. etc.

Fire Goodell
01-08-2019, 12:38 AM
Next we're gonna fire munchak cause special teams sucked

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
01-08-2019, 05:35 AM
Next we're gonna fire munchak cause special teams sucked He is moving on to greener pastures and will be gone. Might as well have Tomlin now saying he let him go, so Tomlin can save more face. Tomlin is unleashing Hell in January!

01-08-2019, 05:42 AM
Tomlin is a idiot and thinks most Steeler fans love him! Him and Goodell are the true legends in their own mind. Not Steeler players! Both Tomlin & Goodell are untouchable! So they win at the end!

Born2Steel
01-08-2019, 09:20 AM
its clear Saxon had nothing to do with putting slow of foot ILBs in coverage vs Legit #1 wr's .... but that guy is still here

its also pretty clear that Conner and Samuels stepped up big time as a second year player and rookie respectively ( something Saxon does control )

Saxon also had nothing to do with special teams coaching that watched one of the best kickers in the league the last several years turn into one of the worst in the league overnight .... but that guy is still here

Saxon isnt the guy with the red flag in his pocket that has not won a meaningful challenge in forever , has no clue how to manage a clock , is clueless about setting the tone for proper locker room and team culture and allows his teams to continualy play down to its competition .. cause that guy is still here too ....

Tomlin would not know a good football coach if it walked up to him and punched him in the face

What is also clear is the Steelers run game was a middle of the pack statistically under Saxon. Then dropped to 20th overall in 2017 and 31st overall in 2018. While these drops may or may not have anything to do with slow footed line backers, it may have something to do with Saxon not being back next season.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-08-2019, 09:29 AM
What is also clear is the Steelers run game was a middle of the pack statistically under Saxon. Then dropped to 20th overall in 2017 and 31st overall in 2018. While these drops may or may not have anything to do with slow footed line backers, it may have something to do with Saxon not being back next season.

I agree that slow footed linebackers may have nothing to do with the run game and Saxon not being back next season. I also think that its equally as likely that Saxon was caught making advances at Mr Rooney's dog, or was privately advising LeVeon Bell on rap lyrics and contract negotiations.

Reality is that none of us really know why his contract wasn't renewed and I still don't understand why fans get so involved with a position coach that has to coach 4 players. I'm sorry for the man's unemployment, but trust he will find something soon and the Steelers will hire somebody to replace him, so that he can coach Conner, Samuels, a draft pick and a veteran Free Agent.

Born2Steel
01-08-2019, 09:40 AM
I agree that slow footed linebackers may have nothing to do with the run game and Saxon not being back next season. I also think that its equally as likely that Saxon was caught making advances at Mr Rooney's dog, or was privately advising LeVeon Bell on rap lyrics and contract negotiations.

Reality is that none of us really know why his contract wasn't renewed and I still don't understand why fans get so involved with a position coach that has to coach 4 players. I'm sorry for the man's unemployment, but trust he will find something soon and the Steelers will hire somebody to replace him, so that he can coach Conner, Samuels, a draft pick and a veteran Free Agent.

Agreed.

Shoes
01-08-2019, 09:45 AM
Great lets hire porter back and keep Smith, and since Munch is leaving, doesn't matter he was just a position coach.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-08-2019, 10:39 AM
Great lets hire porter back and keep Smith, and since Munch is leaving, doesn't matter he was just a position coach.

Are you really worried that a new RB coach other than James Saxon will hamper the Steelers performance going forward?

Hawkman
01-08-2019, 10:58 AM

Wow! You usually make more intelligent and informed posts, as opposed to this snarky one.

Mojouw
01-08-2019, 11:16 AM
Are you really worried that a new RB coach other than James Saxon will hamper the Steelers performance going forward?

I don't feel like digging through the archives, but I am almost certain that many freaked out the last time this happened. Saxon came over from the Vikings and the previous RB coach left or something. I feel like there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth then.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-08-2019, 11:39 AM
I don't feel like digging through the archives, but I am almost certain that many freaked out the last time this happened. Saxon came over from the Vikings and the previous RB coach left or something. I feel like there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth then.

It was when Leslie Frazier got fired as Vikings HC, then Mike Zimmer hired Kirby Wilson to the Vikings. Then Steelers hired James Saxon who was released by the Vikings as part of Frazier staff.

RB coach is possibly the easiest position to coach in football. None of the guys at the NFL level need to learn how to get the handoff or stick a foot for a jump cut. They need to learn how to block in pass protection, the footwork of the play being run(such as selling a counter from a pistol formation, or setting up screen pass). Most of the ability as a runner should be there by the time a guy gets to the NFL. Its just refinement.

Its not like line coaches that can take UDFA or late round pick and make him a starting O lineman like Ramon Foster, AV, Beacham, or Al Woods or Chris Hoke on the defensive side. While I don't know if anything that pointed to Saxon needing to be let go, its not that big of a deal.

NCSteeler
01-08-2019, 11:50 AM
1082393936315011072I don't but it. SaXon is an older guy, who doesn't appear to have any previous entanglement with Tomlin. IDK from the outside this seems like a lousy deal

Shoes
01-08-2019, 11:54 AM

Well, I can tell you I'm not worried. There are more pressing issues in Tomlins closet which will most certainly hamper the Steelers performance going forward. Dumping a running back coach that was doing a good job unless of course, Saxon was an ax murderer in the offseason seems, well kind of skunky.

NCSteeler
01-08-2019, 11:59 AM
Are you really worried that a new RB coach other than James Saxon will hamper the Steelers performance going forward?Yes. Conner and Samuel's are at a critical point a scrwed up coach could lead them to regress and that would be very bad

Shoes
01-08-2019, 12:00 PM
Wow! You usually make more intelligent and informed posts, as opposed to this snarky one.

Thank you Sheriff Hawkman, it's comforting to know you are watching over every thread here at SU.

NCSteeler
01-08-2019, 12:05 PM
What is also clear is the Steelers run game was a middle of the pack statistically under Saxon. Then dropped to 20th overall in 2017 and 31st overall in 2018. While these drops may or may not have anything to do with slow footed line backers, it may have something to do with Saxon not being back next season.Yeah I'm not sure the RB coach controls Attempts, Steelers had 4.2 ypc on 345 att to Baltimore 4.5 on 547. 31st is deceiving stat

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-08-2019, 12:28 PM
Yes. Conner and Samuel's are at a critical point a scrwed up coach could lead them to regress and that would be very bad

What would this screwed up coach teach them that leads them to regress? How to not run properly? How to not hang onto a football properly? How to not read the O lineman's back in front of them when blocking? Those are all skills that RB's would have learned in Highschool or College, if they didn't play Pop Warner football.

Al Bundy from Polk High could coach for the Steelers and the RB's are still gonna be who they are as RB's.

Born2Steel
01-08-2019, 12:35 PM
Yeah I'm not sure the RB coach controls Attempts, Steelers had 4.2 ypc on 345 att to Baltimore 4.5 on 547. 31st is deceiving stat

I agree to your point. Stats often are misleading to the big picture. The big picture would include all of the rushing stats. And that is why I believe Coach Saxon wasn’t retained.

But going back to what started this branch of the conversation is I will wait until all the moves are made before judging the validity of them individually. This firing may end up a bad move. It may become a great move. Just not ready to celebrate or condemn it yet.

NCSteeler
01-08-2019, 01:46 PM
. Saxons choice not ours?

Anyone heard a rumour about munchack recruiting SaXon being the reason behind the none contract renewal

NCSteeler
01-08-2019, 01:47 PM
What would this screwed up coach teach them that leads them to regress? How to not run properly? How to not hang onto a football properly? How to not read the O lineman's back in front of them when blocking? Those are all skills that RB's would have learned in Highschool or College, if they didn't play Pop Warner football.

Al Bundy from Polk High could coach for the Steelers and the RB's are still gonna be who they are as RB's.Supposed SaXon is really good at teaching especially pass blocking a d blitz pick ups. I'd hate to go backwards. And if it is as you say why even bother to have a RB coach I mean these guys already know how to run and hold a football, right?

st33lersguy
01-08-2019, 02:09 PM
Further confirmation that the Super Bowl window will remain closed as long as Tomlin remains head coach. Obviously he was too good and keeping him made too much sense

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-08-2019, 02:42 PM
Supposed SaXon is really good at teaching especially pass blocking a d blitz pick ups. I'd hate to go backwards. And if it is as you say why even bother to have a RB coach I mean these guys already know how to run and hold a football, right?

So you are assuming that moving on from Saxon to somebody else is going backwards, without knowing who they are replacing him with? Looks like classic fear of failure belief.

Just about anybody that has played RB or been around anybody that has coached RB's can handle the job. Just look at Saxon, Eric Bienemy, Duce Staley, Kirby Wilson to name a few, that were former RB's themselves. I'm guessing they will replace him with somebody experienced. Maybe Stump Mitchell from the Jets is available.

hawaiiansteeler
01-08-2019, 02:55 PM
Al Bundy from Polk High could coach for the Steelers and the RB's are still gonna be who they are as RB's.

https://i.imgflip.com/1fiao2.jpg

Hawkman
01-08-2019, 09:35 PM
Wow...the inmates are in charge of the asylum.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I can tell you I'm not worried. There are more pressing issues in Tomlins closet which will most certainly hamper the Steelers performance going forward. Dumping a running back coach that was doing a good job unless of course, Saxon was an ax murderer in the offseason seems, well kind of skunky.

Are you off your meds? :eyebrows:

st33lersguy
01-08-2019, 10:01 PM

That also may have had something to with the Steelers being dead last in rushing attempts because the puppet that was installed as OC to appease Ben kept throwing the ball and outright refused to run the ball at times

pczach
01-09-2019, 05:39 AM
That also may have had something to with the Steelers being dead last in rushing attempts because the puppet that was installed as OC to appease Ben kept throwing the ball and outright refused to run the ball at times

So in other words you're saying Ben pulled an Aaron Rodgers?

Rodgers reportedly blew off offensive plays called from his head coach Mike McCarthy....and called his own plays.

SteelMember
01-09-2019, 10:34 AM

The torches and pitchforks demand firings... and this was not the low hanging fruit they require. Any name other than Butler, Smith or even Tomlin is irrelevant.

Shoes
01-09-2019, 12:31 PM
Well, Dale Lolley said his understanding of the situation is Saxon didn't want to come back. Interesting.

Lolley said he will probably end up with Arians in TB.

Mojouw
01-09-2019, 06:29 PM
Well, Dale Lolley said his understanding of the situation is Saxon didn't want to come back. Interesting.

So just like with the Matthew Thomas non-signing and this, EVERYONE reacted before they knew any actual facts. Weird. ALmost like Twitter and the need to instantly reach a final evaluation on everything is basically nonsense and a useless way to try and understand anything.

Shoes
01-09-2019, 06:38 PM
So just like with the Matthew Thomas non-signing and this, EVERYONE reacted before they knew any actual facts. Weird. ALmost like Twitter and the need to instantly reach a final evaluation on everything is basically nonsense and a useless way to try and understand anything.

Tomlin said “I have made the decision to not renew the contract for running backs coach James Saxon,” Tomlin said in a release. “We would like to thank James for his efforts over the past five years, and we wish him the best in his future coaching endeavors.”

So if Saxon decided he didn't want to coach here longer why is Tomlin acting like he made the decision not to renew his contract? Something is strange Steelerville.

Mojouw
01-09-2019, 06:49 PM
Tomlin said “I have made the decision to not renew the contract for running backs coach James Saxon,” Tomlin said in a release. “We would like to thank James for his efforts over the past five years, and we wish him the best in his future coaching endeavors.”

So if Saxon decided he didn't want to coach here longer why is Tomlin acting like he made the decision not to renew his contract? Something is strange Steelerville.

James, what are your plans?

Well, Mike if Arians gets a job, I think I might prefer to go work on on that staff. But, if he doesn’t I would like to continue working here.

Ok. If that is the case, we are going to go a different way moving forward. Best of luck and if I can do anything for you let me know.

Shoes
01-09-2019, 06:58 PM
James, what are your plans?

Well, Mike if Arians gets a job, I think I might prefer to go work on on that staff. But, if he doesn’t I would like to continue working here.

Ok. If that is the case, we are going to go a different way moving forward. Best of luck and if I can do anything for you let me know.

And the other thought is desperation from Tomlin, fire porter with word slipping out from someone that he (porter) was causing division, then the Steeler LB's Shazier included saying there isn't any truth behind it. So that's it, Porter and Saxon. That's only problem areas Mike Tomlin sees? That's it?

Mojouw
01-09-2019, 07:27 PM
And the other thought is desperation from Tomlin, fire porter with word slipping out from someone that he (porter) was causing division, then the Steeler LB's Shazier included saying there isn't any truth behind it. So that's it, Porter and Saxon. That's only problem areas Mike Tomlin sees? That's it?

No idea. And that is the point. You cant read final conclusions into an ongoing process. Reacting with outrage and intensity to every unfounded Tweet and counter-Tweet is a fruitless and largely pointless exercise. It has been what, 10 days since the season ended? I’m gonna let things play out a bit more before I freak the hell out.

Shoes
01-09-2019, 07:35 PM
No idea. And that is the point. You cant read final conclusions into an ongoing process. Reacting with outrage and intensity to every unfounded Tweet and counter-Tweet is a fruitless and largely pointless exercise. It has been what, 10 days since the season ended? I’m gonna let things play out a bit more before I freak the hell out.

Tomlin likes this. :chuckle:

GoSlash27
01-09-2019, 08:03 PM

Makes more sense than anything else I've read.

86WARD
01-09-2019, 09:20 PM

So basically nothing is true no matter who it comes from. Twitter, ESPN, FoxNews, TMZ, the source itself, anything...not true...lol.

Mojouw
01-09-2019, 09:24 PM
No. It's like watching half a movie and punting the DVD player out the window because you just heard the ending sucks.

86WARD
01-09-2019, 09:27 PM
Not being renewed is not the same as pursuing other opportunities...so your suggesting that the team and Tomlin are lying to the media?

Mojouw
01-09-2019, 09:43 PM
Not being renewed is not the same as pursuing other opportunities...so your suggesting that the team and Tomlin are lying to the media?

Contracts don't get renewed for all kinds of reasons. One version that everyone ran with was that Tomlin fired Saxon. Now there is another version that Saxon didn't want to come back. Who knows what actually happened. I'm gonna wait and see what other hires and fires are done before I reach any conclusions.

In the meantime, I'm gonna be pretty skeptical of people who claim to know things actually know them when they are proven to be wrong 7 out of 10 times.

NFL teams and coaches are in the business of lying to the media.

Dwinsgames
01-09-2019, 10:22 PM
If it was Saxon choice ...... whats that tell you about the state of the organization

Mojouw
01-09-2019, 10:48 PM
If it was Saxon choice ...... whats that tell you about the state of the organization

No idea yet. If he goes and sits on a beach somewhere it could signal one thing. If he coaches RBs for another pro team it could be a wholly other thing. If the Steelers change their approach to the RB position and/or hire some of the rumored new assistant positions on the offensive side of the ball it could signal a whole other thing.

Point is, we've seen at best 35% of the movie. I'm gonna watch it through to the end before I make up my mind. The next 3 to 6 weeks should be highly informative.

Shoes
01-09-2019, 10:54 PM
No idea yet. If he goes and sits on a beach somewhere it could signal one thing. If he coaches RBs for another pro team it could be a wholly other thing. If the Steelers change their approach to the RB position and/or hire some of the rumored new assistant positions on the offensive side of the ball it could signal a whole other thing.

Point is, we've seen at best 35% of the movie. I'm gonna watch it through to the end before I make up my mind. The next 3 to 6 weeks should be highly informative.
I'm not a big movie buff but if I watch a movie and still don't know if I like it halfway through, that movie sucks! I'm not wasting any more time watching it.:chuckle:

01-09-2019, 11:14 PM
I'm not a big movie buff but if I watch a movie and still don't know if I like it halfway through, that movie sucks! I'm not wasting any more time watching it.:chuckle: That's a good view on Bird Box.

Mojouw
01-09-2019, 11:40 PM
I'm not a big movie buff but if I watch a movie and still don't know if I like it halfway through, that movie sucks! I'm not wasting any more time watching it.:chuckle:
Fair enough! I tend to watch everything until the bitter end and then get mad I wasted my time!

Shoes
01-09-2019, 11:52 PM
Fair enough! I tend to watch everything until the bitter end and then get mad I wasted my time!

:lol: Good thing we are all different!

86WARD
01-10-2019, 06:04 AM
Contracts don't get renewed for all kinds of reasons. One version that everyone ran with was that Tomlin fired Saxon. Now there is another version that Saxon didn't want to come back. Who knows what actually happened. I'm gonna wait and see what other hires and fires are done before I reach any conclusions.

In the meantime, I'm gonna be pretty skeptical of people who claim to know things actually know them when they are proven to be wrong 7 out of 10 times.

NFL teams and coaches are in the business of lying to the media.

If Saxon didn’t want to come back, seeing how well he’s done with the current group of backs and Bell, the Steelers would be wise to say that Saxon has opted to pursue other opportunities rather than say they’ve opted not to renew his contract. It’s a basic public relations spin. Why would they opt to take the route that is more “damaging” than glorifying themselves and Tomlin both of which are under a microscope at the moment.

86WARD
01-10-2019, 06:06 AM
That's a good view on Bird Box.

It may be wise to watch the 2019 season through a blindfold...lol.

FrancoLambert
01-10-2019, 08:07 AM
It may be wise to watch the 2019 season through a blindfold...lol.

:lol:

Dwinsgames
01-10-2019, 08:11 AM

Personally I do not need to see the rest ...

I know we lost a kick ass RB coach ....

I know it is rumored he no longer wanted to be here ....

I know he is /was one of the best in the business

summation ...

I got punched in the gut .... ( his leaving)

I got punched in the gut again ... ( hearing he no longer wanted to be here )

I do not have to watch the rest of the movie to know I have been punched in the gut TWICE ...

then you add in Tomlins end of season meeting with Butler and Butler still has a job its likely he is not going anywhere ( he should have been ousted last year )

special teams coach still intact ( one of worst units in the NFL ) I might add .....

I will stand by my prior statement Tomlin would not recognize a good football coach if it punched him in the mouth

NCSteeler
01-10-2019, 11:56 AM
So just like with the Matthew Thomas non-signing and this, EVERYONE reacted before they knew any actual facts. Weird. ALmost like Twitter and the need to instantly reach a final evaluation on everything is basically nonsense and a useless way to try and understand anything.And just he same I see a problem with good coaches choosing other teams, and good recruits choosing other teams. You I don't see it from the in side but they do

AtlantaDan
01-14-2019, 06:59 PM
Cardinals hire Saxon

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/report-cardinals-hire-former-steelers-rbs-coach-james-saxon/

Head coaches come and go but Arizona remains Pittsburgh West :chuckle:

Shoes
01-14-2019, 08:20 PM
Cardinals hire Saxon

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/report-cardinals-hire-former-steelers-rbs-coach-james-saxon/

They probably run the ball more than the Steelers anyway. Wish him the best. Ben is going to be the RB coach in Pittsburgh. :chuckle:

Born2Steel
01-14-2019, 08:50 PM
The Steelers lost Bell which left fumble factory Ridley as the only RB trustworthy in pass protection and picking up blitzes. Conner was a battering ram style runner and looked good doing it, IMO. But he got hurt doing just that. This leaves Samuels who is not ready for picking up blitzes yet, and needs experience with pass protections. The RB group was not ready for a bigger role just yet. Part of rebuilding a RB stable.

86WARD
01-14-2019, 10:14 PM
The Steelers lost Bell which left fumble factory Ridley as the only RB trustworthy in pass protection and picking up blitzes. Conner was a battering ram style runner and looked good doing it, IMO. But he got hurt doing just that. This leaves Samuels who is not ready for picking up blitzes yet, and needs experience with pass protections. The RB group was not ready for a bigger role just yet. Part of rebuilding a RB stable.

So the RB group has been consistently losing games for the Steelers in the playoffs and regular season based on inexperience?

Born2Steel
01-14-2019, 10:26 PM
So the RB group has been consistently losing games for the Steelers in the playoffs and regular season based on inexperience?

No. Where did you get that leap from? We were very low on the team rushing list, attempts and yards. People have complained that this could be why our offense under-achieved. I was offering a reason why our rush offense was used so sparingly this season. Inexperience and overall trust issues.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-15-2019, 12:10 AM
Cardinals hire Saxon

Sean Kugler is their O line coach too.