PDA

View Full Version : Ju Ju will never be a #1 as proven by the Bengals game!

zulater
01-05-2019, 11:56 AM
Without AB in there to draw double teams Ju Ju will hardly ever get open and not be a big time threat! The Bengal game proved it! Wrong! Go back in time a little and the same thing was said of AB when Mike Wallace left via free agency. All that game proved was the Steelers as a whole were flat and unready to play. DeCastro said it immediately after the game. I think there was a hangover effect from the loss to the Saints. More to the point the way they lost and what the likely lasting repercussions would be. Then throw in the week long drama of AB and you got a team not ready to put their best foot forward.

So what do I have in evidence to disprove the lack of relevance in this years season finale to Ju Ju's potential future production?

Last year's season finale that's what! The Steelers rested Ben, Brown, and Bell for the playoffs. With Landry Jones starting at qb and Steven Ridley at RB Ju Ju stood out catching 9 passes on 10 Landry ones targets for 143 yards and a TD. He also added in a 96 yard kickoff return for a TD. Oh but that was just the 0-16 Browns! Really! Compare that team and the fight they put up to avoid a winless season to the injury riddled unmotivated Bungle team that stumbled into Pgh! Go ahead look at their rosters. The Bengals posed no offense. The Browns racked up 374 yards! Without Ju Ju's kick off return the Steelers lose that game. Not that it mattered to them. But it certainly mattered to the Browns who didn't want to end up winless. Top to bottom that Brown defense was more talented and motivated than the injury riddled Bengal defense.

So no. Last Sunday's game didn't tell us squat about Ju Ju being able to step into AB's role. But I think his first 30 NFL games already has told us he can grow into that role. Just as AB proved himself capable prior to Mike Wallace leaving.

DesertSteel
01-05-2019, 12:06 PM
You can't judge a guy by one game when the ENTIRE offense stunk. Juju has what it takes.

pczach
01-05-2019, 12:34 PM
JuJu is going to get better. He's still a kid, and he is going to continue to work on his craft and become a better player. He's not AB....but that's not a bad thing. He is a much more physical presence. He is a high effort player that can help the team in more ways than Brown overall with his physical nature. JuJu is a much better blocker than AB, and he has the size and strength to be a force in supporting the running game. He is tremendous after the catch as he runs well and is powerful enough to break tackles to get to the sticks or to break off big gains. He catches the ball in traffic, and has shown a natural ability to come up big in big moments of games.

JuJu is going to be just fine. He doesn't need to be AB. He just needs to be the ultimate version of himself that only time, hard work, and effort can achieve.

Born2Steel
01-05-2019, 12:36 PM
JuJu is not AB, JuJu is Hines Ward. Geesh!

DesertSteel
01-05-2019, 12:47 PM
Yeah Juju is only, probably, the 7th or 8th best WR in the league at 22... His ceiling is only the top 3 by the time he's 24. Time to get rid of this guy and find someone with potential.

teegre
01-05-2019, 12:49 PM
No one will likely ever be as good as AB. In my lifetime, it’s been Rice & AB... and everyone else.

But, JuJu doesn’t need to be AB. JuJu is what every other team has as their “#1”.

As as far as one bad game goes, how did AB do when there was no #2 receiver to take any pressure off of him in the 2016 AFCCG (January 2017). Answer: About as well as JuJu did last Sunday.

SUMMATION:
Zu is correct.

Dwinsgames
01-05-2019, 01:23 PM
you do not have to have a true number 1 wr in order to be successful in the nfl ...

you need a strong group of wr with good hands that can beat single coverage ...

its nice to have a field stretcher but again not mandatory ...

defenses can double 1 guy but thats pretty much it ...

so if everyone can beat single coverage you are good ...

give me a team with three #2 types and I will show you a team with a ton of recieving yards

Mojouw
01-05-2019, 03:45 PM
you do not have to have a true number 1 wr in order to be successful in the nfl ...

you need a strong group of wr with good hands that can beat single coverage ...

its nice to have a field stretcher but again not mandatory ...

defenses can double 1 guy but thats pretty much it ...

so if everyone can beat single coverage you are good ...

give me a team with three #2 types and I will show you a team with a ton of recieving yards

Ok. Where is that team? I cant come up with one off the top of my head, but that doesn’t mean your aren’t right. But even NE typically has Gronk or Edelman serving as the #1 guy that beats match-ups. When they lacked that this season, they went out and got Gordon to try to fill the void.

Cowboys lacked it and went out and got Cooper. I guess maybe Seattle?

The idea is sound, but I’m not sure anyone is out there pulling that off. Ravens tried and failed to do it for what 3-4 years running with Flacco?

Shoes
01-05-2019, 03:48 PM
JuJu is going to get better. He's still a kid, and he is going to continue to work on his craft and become a better player. He's not AB....but that's not a bad thing. He is a much more physical presence. He is a high effort player that can help the team in more ways than Brown overall with his physical nature. JuJu is a much better blocker than AB, and he has the size and strength to be a force in supporting the running game. He is tremendous after the catch as he runs well and is powerful enough to break tackles to get to the sticks or to break off big gains. He catches the ball in traffic, and has shown a natural ability to come up big in big moments of games.

JuJu is going to be just fine. He doesn't need to be AB. He just needs to be the ultimate version of himself that only time, hard work, and effort can achieve.

You got that right, playoffs start today and AB isn't playing.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-05-2019, 04:35 PM
JuJu is not AB, JuJu is Hines Ward. Geesh!

Agreed. Bigger guy with more of a RB build, not as big of a vertical threat with speed, but rather a good route runner that reminds a lot (and also drew pre draft comparisons) of Hines Ward.

The notion of a #1 or #2 WR is a bit murky IMO. One could always say that Hines Ward was a #2 WR and that the Steelers always needed somebody opposite him such as Plaxico, Wallace, etc, that was more a vertical threat. Who really cares. As a team you need 2 guys that defenses cannot double team and having JuJu and AB is a good tandem. Going forward, it looks like the Steelers are adding some other potential guys so far to futures contracts with speed and receiving ability in order to bolster the group with likely the subtractions of Hunter and DHB.

Dwinsgames
01-05-2019, 04:39 PM
Ok. Where is that team? I cant come up with one off the top of my head, but that doesn’t mean your aren’t right. But even NE typically has Gronk or Edelman serving as the #1 guy that beats match-ups. When they lacked that this season, they went out and got Gordon to try to fill the void.

Cowboys lacked it and went out and got Cooper. I guess maybe Seattle?

The idea is sound, but I’m not sure anyone is out there pulling that off. Ravens tried and failed to do it for what 3-4 years running with Flacco?

Cardinals did it a couple years ago ... Fitz was way past being a #1 ..... John Brown isnt a #1 ... and the other Brown they had isnt either .... they put up a ton of passing yards with a bunch of #2-3 types and some speed ...

we didnt have a true #1 with Ward , Cedrik Wilson , Randal El but we won a SB with it ....

Mojouw
01-05-2019, 04:48 PM
Ward wasn’t a prototype #1 but his borderline HOF career argues that he was legitimately a guy you could build a passing game around.

I never said it was impossible but so far we’ve thought of like 4 good passing teams in like 12 years that didn’t have “a guy”.

I’m not using that to say that the team needs to keep and placate AB at any cost. But if AB leaves, Juju, Eli, Washington, and Switzer is good but could quickly become not good enough.

Critical in all this is that Ben prefers guys who create separation. He is not a guy that throws his receiver open down in and down out. AB creates separation better than anyone in the league.

Dwinsgames
01-05-2019, 04:55 PM
Ward wasn’t a prototype #1 but his borderline HOF career argues that he was legitimately a guy you could build a passing game around.

I never said it was impossible but so far we’ve thought of like 4 good passing teams in like 12 years that didn’t have “a guy”.

I’m not using that to say that the team needs to keep and placate AB at any cost. But if AB leaves, Juju, Eli, Washington, and Switzer is good but could quickly become not good enough.

Critical in all this is that Ben prefers guys who create separation. He is not a guy that throws his receiver open down in and down out. AB creates separation better than anyone in the league.

I would argue that if AB is traded away we still will have bigger problems than him being elsewhere ....

Specifically an 0-Line down 2 starters and no Munchak to get them up to speed in short order ...

Life before Munch was not a pleasant one and I suspect we will have a big reminder real soon of what life before Much was like when Life after Munch kicks in

Mojouw
01-05-2019, 05:03 PM
I would argue that if AB is traded away we still will have bigger problems than him being elsewhere ....

Specifically an 0-Line down 2 starters and no Munchak to get them up to speed in short order ...

Life before Munch was not a pleasant one and I suspect we will have a big reminder real soon of what life before Much was like when Life after Munch kicks in

True enough. WR could be just one of the several holes that need patched.

Too early to prioritize them. Need to get coaching staff and cap space locked down. Then it will be possible to start making educated guesses about roster priorities.

GoSlash27
01-06-2019, 12:56 PM
I agree with Zu.

While JuJu isn't the all- around beast that AB is, that's not the same thing as #1 capable. Not only is JuJu capable of taking over AB's #1 WR role, I'd argue he's already done it. What the Steelers need is not necessarily AB or a similar generational talent, but more productive play from the #2 WR on down.

"JuJu will never be a #1 WR"
https://youtu.be/L0sEzNQtzaE?t=106

That's disconcerting... :ranger:

DesertSteel
01-06-2019, 05:52 PM

Good enough to go to two Super Bowls and be MVP of one!

pczach
01-06-2019, 06:42 PM
Good enough to go to two Super Bowls and be MVP of one!

Hines was another guy that played huge in big moments of games. He was a winner and a great football player.

st33lersguy
01-06-2019, 06:58 PM
Juju can be a solid no. 1 but if AB is traded they will need another receiver to step up

zulater
01-06-2019, 08:14 PM
Juju can be a solid no. 1 but if AB is traded they will need another receiver to step up

Absolutely! While I have hope that Washington can develop into a quality receiver, if AB's gone your going to have to go off roster and sign or trade for someone of significant pedigree to play opposite Ju Ju.

Born2Steel
01-06-2019, 08:20 PM
Agreed. Bigger guy with more of a RB build, not as big of a vertical threat with speed, but rather a good route runner that reminds a lot (and also drew pre draft comparisons) of Hines Ward.

The notion of a #1 or #2 WR is a bit murky IMO. One could always say that Hines Ward was a #2 WR and that the Steelers always needed somebody opposite him such as Plaxico, Wallace, etc, that was more a vertical threat. Who really cares. As a team you need 2 guys that defenses cannot double team and having JuJu and AB is a good tandem. Going forward, it looks like the Steelers are adding some other potential guys so far to futures contracts with speed and receiving ability in order to bolster the group with likely the subtractions of Hunter and DHB.

If we believe this to be true and it's not about that #1 WR but about the group, then are we ready to call us good with AB, JuJu, Washington, Switzer, and Rogers? You have Conner and Samuels who can catch and decent pass catching TEs. What does this offense need then? Our 4th quarter efficiency was terrible and lost us a few games.

GoSlash27
01-06-2019, 08:33 PM
If we believe this to be true and it's not about that #1 WR but about the group, then are we ready to call us good with AB, JuJu, Washington, Switzer, and Rogers? You have Conner and Samuels who can catch and decent pass catching TEs. What does this offense need then? Our 4th quarter efficiency was terrible and lost us a few games.
AB stands a very good chance of being gone. Washington has shown some occasional flashes, but isn't ready to be a #2 quite yet. Switzer is a good gadget guy, but isn't strong enough to be a YAC threat. Rogers... I don't think he's going to be anything more than what he is now.
The RBs and TEs are okay, but we really need a solid #2 receiver. If Washington comes into his own this season, then we've got that... but I wouldn't bet the house on it. We definitely need a better option than Rogers out there.
And of course we need our QB to not have so many bad days. Nuthin' fancy, just put the ball where he actually intends it to go. Ben was off target too many times this year IMO.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-07-2019, 08:58 AM

The question I think becomes if we think that passing the football more than any team in the NFL and running it the 2nd least contributes to 4th quarter efficiency? 60% of the Steelers O line is Pro Bowl caliber, but somehow there is little to no desire to let them run block often enough that might close games out.

I do think the Steelers TE group isn't up to par with a lot of other NFL teams and if an AB trade happens, obviously need another decent veteran WR in the group.