PDA

View Full Version : How the Heck Does This Guy Get Paid...

Mojouw
01-04-2019, 03:48 PM
https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/schefter-theres-the-overwhelming-sense-the-steelers-will-trade-antonio-brown/

Read the article and actually pay attention to Schefter's quotes. He says absolutely nothing that has any basis in facts or information.

He indicates that no one has heard that the Steelers are discussing or thinking about trading AB as of today, but that they will trade him at some point in the future because "people" figure this is where it goes. So, rampant speculation based on nothing.

He then argues that they have let things fester. When asked to elaborate, he says he has no idea what is going on and doesn't actually know anything about it.

Look, I could care less if the report paints a positive or a negative picture of the team, coaches, players, situation, etc. But what I think is absolutely ridiculous is that Schefter is trying to cover all sides at once here. What's the point?

My favorite part is when he indicates the trade return could be a first round draft pick, unless it is more, except it might be less. Well, that's a pretty solid nonsense answer. I mean I could do this from my favorite bar stool.

This is like when all of NFL Twitter was convinced that OBJ would get traded. And then....

Dwinsgames
01-04-2019, 04:46 PM
https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/schefter-theres-the-overwhelming-sense-the-steelers-will-trade-antonio-brown/

Read the article and actually pay attention to Schefter's quotes. He says absolutely nothing that has any basis in facts or information.

He indicates that no one has heard that the Steelers are discussing or thinking about trading AB as of today, but that they will trade him at some point in the future because "people" figure this is where it goes. So, rampant speculation based on nothing.

He then argues that they have let things fester. When asked to elaborate, he says he has no idea what is going on and doesn't actually know anything about it.

Look, I could care less if the report paints a positive or a negative picture of the team, coaches, players, situation, etc. But what I think is absolutely ridiculous is that Schefter is trying to cover all sides at once here. What's the point?

My favorite part is when he indicates the trade return could be a first round draft pick, unless it is more, except it might be less. Well, that's a pretty solid nonsense answer. I mean I could do this from my favorite bar stool or recliner , or love seat if I was so inclined or maybe reclined or none of the above .

This is like when all of NFL Twitter was convinced that OBJ would get traded. And then....

fixed it for you man ...

pczach
01-04-2019, 05:54 PM

My favorite part is when he indicates the trade return could be a first round draft pick, unless it is more, except it might be less. Well, that's a pretty solid nonsense answer. I mean I could do this from my favorite bar stool.

I kind of think that this entire story can possibly be the ruination of this franchise, but may also ultimately transform them to a greater version of themselves and reach the promised land..........Sorry.....I'm channeling my inner Schefter.

:p

GoSlash27
01-04-2019, 06:00 PM

So what's the problem? Isn't this the standard for 'journalism' these days?

Mojouw
01-04-2019, 06:39 PM
So what's the problem? Isn't this the standard for 'journalism' these days?

Sure. But doesn’t mean I can’t criticize the total lack of a point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mojouw
01-04-2019, 06:39 PM
fixed it for you man ...

You did indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AtlantaDan
01-04-2019, 07:32 PM
Adam Schefter is a NFL gossip columnist. But at least Schefter admits he is not generating anything of lasting value, as he discussed in the book "Big Game" by Mark Leibovch that cynically tore down the NFL reveling in its self-importance

The best Leibovich subjects are people who are verging close to self-parody but are nonetheless fiercely protective of their dignity. Take ESPN’s Adam Schefter. When they met, Leibovich attempted some small talk about their shared alma mater, the University of Michigan. Schefter said, “I don’t want to waste your time”—by which he meant his time. Leibovich describes Schefter as the über-connected king of Twitter “nuggets”; “league powwows,” he writes, “are like Adam’s bar mitzvah.” Leibovich told me he was ready to not like Schefter but was disarmed when the insider made no apologies about his corner of journalism. When Leibovich asked Schefter whether such a nuggetty output was satisfying, Schefter replied, “Everything’s fleeting.”

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/8/27/17785968/big-game-book-mark-leibovich-nfl-roger-goodell

FWIW I prefer a self-admitted huckster like Schefter to a pompous gasbag and league office stenographer like Peter King, who has disclosed this courageous moral stand

https://russellstreetreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/King-Rog.jpg

86WARD
01-04-2019, 07:54 PM
Adam Schefter is a NFL gossip columnist. But at least Schefter admits he is not generating anything of lasting value, as he discussed in the book "Big Game" by Mark Leibovch that cynically tore down the NFL reveling in its self-importance

The best Leibovich subjects are people who are verging close to self-parody but are nonetheless fiercely protective of their dignity. Take ESPN’s Adam Schefter. When they met, Leibovich attempted some small talk about their shared alma mater, the University of Michigan. Schefter said, “I don’t want to waste your time”—by which he meant his time. Leibovich describes Schefter as the über-connected king of Twitter “nuggets”; “league powwows,” he writes, “are like Adam’s bar mitzvah.” Leibovich told me he was ready to not like Schefter but was disarmed when the insider made no apologies about his corner of journalism. When Leibovich asked Schefter whether such a nuggetty output was satisfying, Schefter replied, “Everything’s fleeting.”

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/8/27/17785968/big-game-book-mark-leibovich-nfl-roger-goodell

FWIW I prefer a self-admitted huckster like Schefter to a pompous gasbag and league office stenographer like Peter King, who has disclosed this courageous moral stand

Of all,the idiots out there, schefter is the most accurate.

pczach
01-04-2019, 08:05 PM

King may be a gasbag, but AB is probably having a meltdown upon hearing this news. It is accolades and stuff like this that AB feeds upon. When he feels that what he believes he has earned is being taken away from him, it may actually get his attention and maybe, just for a second, he will understand that it is not in his best interests to act like an entitled, spoiled asshat all the time. That maybe it can still be all about him, but that to make it all about him he needs to play nice with others for the greater good.

At least we can hope that common sense and a little dose of reality creep into his head when he sees that there are ramification for his actions. Things like this get AB's attention.

Remember, people have always concealed his ego and bad behavior. They have protected him and kept this stuff in-house. This is his first dose of reality with the light being shed on who he really is.

How's business today AB?

86WARD
01-04-2019, 10:18 PM
King may be a gasbag, but AB is probably having a meltdown upon hearing this news. It is accolades and stuff like this that AB feeds upon. When he feels that what he believes he has earned is being taken away from him, it may actually get his attention and maybe, just for a second, he will understand that it is not in his best interests to act like an entitled, spoiled asshat all the time. That maybe it can still be all about him, but that to make it all about him he needs to play nice with others for the greater good.

At least we can hope that common sense and a little dose of reality creep into his head when he sees that there are ramification for his actions. Things like this get AB's attention.

Remember, people have always concealed his ego and bad behavior. They have protected him and kept this stuff in-house. This is his first dose of reality with the light being shed on who he really is.

How's business today AB?

He’s not worried about that. He’s busy posting videos of his Chanel handbag collection. No joke.

AtlantaDan
01-05-2019, 10:38 AM
In further regard to how some writers get paid, more hard hitting journalism from the always insightful Ian Rapoport :chuckle: