PDA

View Full Version : Contracts Of Shazier, Rogers Expected To Toll During Offseason

Shoes
01-03-2019, 04:40 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers had two players on their Reserve/PUP list in 2018 in inside linebacker Ryan Shazier and Eli Rogers with the former remaining there the entire season. Because both were playing on the final year on their respective contracts (one-year contracts for both), on paper, it would appear as though Shazier and Rogers would both become unrestricted free agents in March. That, however, might not wind up being the case as both spent enough time on the Steelers Reserve/PUP list that their final contract years will likely toll during the offseason.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/contracts-of-shazier-rogers-expected-to-toll-during-offseason/

Fire Goodell
01-04-2019, 12:50 AM
I don't think Rogers is great or anything but we should extend him. The offense did move better when he was added to the mix, especially in the 5-wide

Dwinsgames
01-04-2019, 09:03 AM
I don't think Rogers is great or anything but we should extend him. The offense did move better when he was added to the mix, especially in the 5-wide

because DHB offers ZERO zip zilch , he is not even a legitimate decoy at this point ....

for a decoy to work in this league there has to be some level of success on tape in the recent past ....

DHB has nada ....

2016 - 6 catches

2017 - 2 catches

2018 - 1 catch 9 yards

who is going to believe that you are throwing to him or that he will catch it if you do

Rosie Nix has more receptions over the same span

W&M_Steeler
01-04-2019, 10:56 AM
because DHB offers ZERO zip zilch , he is not even a legitimate decoy at this point ....

for a decoy to work in this league there has to be some level of success on tape in the recent past ....

DHB has nada ....

2016 - 6 catches

2017 - 2 catches

2018 - 1 catch 9 yards

who is going to believe that you are throwing to him or that he will catch it if you do

Rosie Nix has more receptions over the same span

DHB is supposedly a special teams ace, but nevertheless seems to incur an inordinate amount of special teams penalties. DHB offers nothing as a WR, is a penalty problem on STs, and, as an 11 year veteran, is expensive in relation to what he can contribute. I see no reason for him to make the 53 next year.

Mojouw
01-04-2019, 11:34 AM
Anyone ever give any thought that DHB has a crucial role on the roster that doesn't have anything to do with on-field stuff? He may be the veteran deputed to attempt to ride herd on AB. He certainly seems to be the first guy the media gets quotes from when things go squirrely.

W&M_Steeler
01-04-2019, 11:43 AM
Anyone ever give any thought that DHB has a crucial role on the roster that doesn't have anything to do with on-field stuff? He may be the veteran deputed to attempt to ride herd on AB. He certainly seems to be the first guy the media gets quotes from when things go squirrely.

Then he sucks at that too. And it seems like the "amateur therapist" position isn't a good use for a roster spot.

Mojouw
01-04-2019, 11:49 AM
Then he sucks at that too. And it seems like "amateur therapist" isn't worth taking up a roster spot.

I didn't say he was good at it or that it was an ideal use of a roster spot. Simply kinda trolling the people that bang the table for "leadership" and then want to cut guys based on production. A cursory review of the past 12 months of Steelers news can demonstrate that DHB is one of the handful of leaders on the roster if we can make that judgement based by who has to go in front of the media and answer questions about a loss or a player conduct issue.

Everyone likes to post teary eyed love poems about the kind of tough no nonsense players they miss having on the roster. Well, DHB and Coty Sensabaugh embody that. Guys that work their butts off to squeeze everything they can out of their physical abilities. And guess what? That isn't enough.

W&M_Steeler
01-04-2019, 12:01 PM
I didn't say he was good at it or that it was an ideal use of a roster spot. Simply kinda trolling the people that bang the table for "leadership" and then want to cut guys based on production. A cursory review of the past 12 months of Steelers news can demonstrate that DHB is one of the handful of leaders on the roster if we can make that judgement based by who has to go in front of the media and answer questions about a loss or a player conduct issue.

Everyone likes to post teary eyed love poems about the kind of tough no nonsense players they miss having on the roster. Well, DHB and Coty Sensabaugh embody that. Guys that work their butts off to squeeze everything they can out of their physical abilities. And guess what? That isn't enough.

I don't know that guys at the DHB level of play really have the credibility and gravitas to be true locker room leaders. It's hard to lead when you're barely clinging to the bottom of the roster. If anything, I'd be suspicious of guys like that, who have no other obvious reason for making the team (i.e. marginal skills and no real chance for additional talent growth or development)- they might be on the rosters because they're "moles" for management.

Cam Heyward seems to be developing into a leader. He is a quality player, has been on the team long enough to be established, and seems thoughtful and well spoken. The Steelers need more guys like that.