PDA

View Full Version : Steelers have to explore trade options for Antonio Brown

Shoes
01-03-2019, 01:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxUpEAfiMDU

Mojouw
01-03-2019, 01:19 PM
Here is the thing. It is a binary choice. Much of the talking head and pundit coverage is trying to advocate a middle path, where the team sees what it can get for AB and only pulls the trigger if they get the offer they want. That can work if there is a back-end to this. Like with OBJ and Mack, the Giants and the Raiders can explore trades and if they don't like the offers, they just sign the guy to a monster extension and all will be forgotten.

The Steelers are in a different box. They are not gonna give a headcase any more money. So his contract is what it is. Therefore, they either shop him and take whatever cut-rate deal gets put on the table or they don't shop him. Because if they do shop him and they don't take a deal --- any guesses on how well AB is going take that? Can you imagine his 2019 actions after the team tries and fails to trade him?

There is no exploring things. There is no gauging the market. There are only 3 real options:

1. Just release the guy.
2. Retain the guy and hope everyone can patch things up.
3. Take whatever deal you can scare up. It will not be good for the cap sheet and it will be less compensation than most would first assume. Additionally, if you do it during that narrow window in March that makes the money even better on the Steelers side, teams are going to pull back some of their return and argue that if you need to make the deal so bad, then you have to take less.

No matter what, it is gonna be a dramatic and annoying process for fans.

Shoes
01-03-2019, 01:26 PM
Here is the thing. It is a binary choice. Much of the talking head and pundit coverage is trying to advocate a middle path, where the team sees what it can get for AB and only pulls the trigger if they get the offer they want. That can work if there is a back-end to this. Like with OBJ and Mack, the Giants and the Raiders can explore trades and if they don't like the offers, they just sign the guy to a monster extension and all will be forgotten.

The Steelers are in a different box. They are not gonna give a headcase any more money. So his contract is what it is. Therefore, they either shop him and take whatever cut-rate deal gets put on the table or they don't shop him. Because if they do shop him and they don't take a deal --- any guesses on how well AB is going take that? Can you imagine his 2019 actions after the team tries and fails to trade him?

There is no exploring things. There is no gauging the market. There are only 3 real options:

1. Just release the guy.
3. Take whatever deal you can scare up. It will not be good for the cap sheet and it will be less compensation than most would first assume. Additionally, if you do it during that narrow window in March that makes the money even better on the Steelers side, teams are going to pull back some of their return and argue that if you need to make the deal so bad, then you have to take less.

I'm sure the Steeler FO has already been getting calls and messages about trading AB. I think the with talent AB has there will be a few teams that would make it worthwhile for Pittsburgh to trade AB. If the raiders get involved we might really make out. :chuckle:

Craic
01-03-2019, 01:28 PM
With all this he-said she-said crap, I'm checking out of the AB drama until something definitive happens.

AtlantaDan
01-03-2019, 01:31 PM

1. Just release the guy.

I assume they are talking to Brown's agent Drew Rosenhaus as a starting point to see if this can be fixed. Problem is we saw with Bell, who allegedly blew off his agent's recommendation to take the Steelers 2017 long-term contract offer, that top shelf players sometimes ignore their agent's advice.

The Bouchette story on how any trade impacts the salary cap explained how any trade needs to be worked out by mid-March to save paying AB his 2019 roster bonus while getting any draft pick(s) in time for the 2019 draft. Unlike the Bell negotiations that had a summer deadline, much tighter time frame to decide how to resolve this.

vasteeler
01-03-2019, 01:34 PM
I bet when all is said and done AB is with us next year and this is all forgotten.

Rotorhead
01-03-2019, 01:34 PM
PPG has an article on potential trades:
Raiders for #4 pick
Cards for Patrick Peterson + #33 pick
Jets for the #3 pick
49ers for the #2 pick
Dolphins for Xavien Howard + #13 pick

I like the Dolphins the best, followed by the Cards idea. Phins give us an upcoming CB and the possibility to fix the ILB position through the draft, which fixes our 2 biggest needs. Then we would only have to find a very good WR to pair with JuJu and hope Washington pans out in FA and the draft.

Cards give us a top CB and the possibility to move up in the draft to fix the ILB position, then same as above for FA

The rest give us the ability of landing a top draft talent or trade down for more picks.

I don’t like the idea of losing Brown, but if he doesn’t want to be here, the let’s move on and give our team a better chance next season on the Def side of the ball. There are going to be plenty WR’s available in FA that can fill the #2 spot just fine, and Juju has proven to be able to handle the #1 position.

Shoes
01-03-2019, 01:36 PM
I bet when all is said and done AB is with us next year and this is all forgotten.

Could be, but I doubt it because it will happen again. I don't think the players, coaches or owners want to experience this again.

Dwinsgames
01-03-2019, 01:49 PM
Raiders for #4 pick
Jets for the #3 pick
49ers for the #2 pick

I like the Dolphins the best, followed by the Cards idea. Phins give us an upcoming CB and the possibility to fix the ILB position through the draft, which fixes our 2 biggest needs. Then we would only have to find a very good WR to pair with JuJu and hope Washington pans out in FA and the draft.

Cards give us a top CB and the possibility to move up in the draft to fix the ILB position, then same as above for FA

The rest give us the ability of landing a top draft talent or trade down for more picks.

I don’t like the idea of losing Brown, but if he doesn’t want to be here, the let’s move on and give our team a better chance next season on the Def side of the ball. There are going to be plenty WR’s available in FA that can fill the #2 spot just fine, and Juju has proven to be able to handle the #1 position.

I would take any of those deals ....

49ers / Jets/ Raiders ..I trade back to around 10 gain a 2nd and 3rd ..... draft Devin White my ILB troubles are over ....

draft a Corner with pick 19 ....

take the 2nd I got in trade and add the 3rd with it and move back into round 1 take a WR pick 22-28 range ....

draft a Corner with pick 19 ....

Phins I try and Get Devin White at 13 if he is there and use 19 for a WR or another corner and get the wide out in rd 2

Shoes
01-03-2019, 01:52 PM
I think he will be traded this offseason. There will be plenty of offers.

Mojouw
01-03-2019, 02:06 PM
Raiders for #4 pick
Jets for the #3 pick
49ers for the #2 pick

Yeah. None of those are happening. Teams are simply not going to give up a premium draft pick and/or player for an asset a team is forced to dump.

fansince'76
01-03-2019, 02:08 PM
And guess who's getting an early start on the tampering? :rolleyes:

Antonio Brown's reported trade request has Patriots Twitter buzzing
(https://sports.yahoo.com/antonio-browns-reported-trade-request-200201919.html)

Shoes
01-03-2019, 02:54 PM
Piss on the pats, there are plenty of teams that need a WR

Bills
Bears
Cowboys
Packers
Colts
Raiders
Redskins

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-03-2019, 03:00 PM
Trading the best WR in football and eating $21 million in dead cap?

Even Jon Gruden thinks that is a bad idea.

Hawkman
01-03-2019, 03:13 PM

Yeah, I don’t think he’s going anywhere. Get all of this out of the sports news cycle and a couple of months........when they are rolling, Ben and AB are magic. Lot of “end of the year “ frustration. Ben knows his playing days are numbered. I’m excited to see how we fill our weaknesses.

Born2Steel
01-03-2019, 03:28 PM
There was once an employee who was always at his work desk on time in the mornings. He came in early or stayed late as needed and never complained. This was the way of things for years. Everyone always said what a great employee he is and why can’t more be just like him when it comes to his work ethic and production. They even put his picture on their favorite video game.

Then JuJu won the team MVP even though the employee had better production and put in all the work he always had. For the first time the employee felt under-appreciated and left work early one day. Now the guys down at the bar are talking and making wagers about how the employee should just be grateful to be employed and whether or not he should be let go from his job altogether. Maybe what the employee needs is a company paid vacation to clear his head and ease his hurt feelings. Just so he can come back and pick up where he left off. After all, employees like this one are very hard to find and keep.

Shoes
01-03-2019, 03:35 PM
There was once an employee who was always at his work desk on time in the mornings. He came in early or stayed late as needed and never complained. This was the way of things for years. Everyone always said what a great employee he is and why can’t more be just like him when it comes to his work ethic and production. They even put his picture on their favorite video game.

Then JuJu won the team MVP even though the employee had better production and put in all the work he always had. For the first time the employee felt under-appreciated and left work early one day. Now the guys down at the bar are talking and making wagers about how the employee should just be grateful to be employed and whether or not he should be let go from his job altogether. Maybe what the employee needs is a company paid vacation to clear his head and ease his hurt feelings. Just so he can come back and pick up where he left off. After all, employees like this one are very hard to find and keep.

I think Tomlin would say you are painting with a broad brush. :chuckle:

86WARD
01-03-2019, 03:36 PM
I think Tomlin would say you are painting with a broad brush. :chuckle:

Lol.

ALLD
01-03-2019, 03:42 PM
Can we trade Tomlin too? I have never seen it this bad. Not since Mean Joe ripped the door off the locker room because of losing too many games.

vader29
01-03-2019, 04:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9TxjGldhN0

Shoes
01-03-2019, 06:46 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001007554/article/teams-that-should-trade-for-antonio-brown-ranking-playoff-qbs

Butch
01-03-2019, 07:05 PM

Wait why is that a bad thing??? I mean he may end up there anyway so why not trade him to them, and get something out of it?

We give them AB and we get Go To Hell's balls from them. just sayin'

hawaiiansteeler
01-03-2019, 08:16 PM

the Cheatriots will have to get rid of Tom Brady then, he yells at his receivers all the time.

st33lersguy
01-03-2019, 09:01 PM
I had been reading that if AB is cut after June 1st that while the cap hit would be reduced, the rest of the $21 mil would carry over to the next season, so it is a matter of whether the hit occurs over 1 or 2 offseasons. May not be a bad idea to take the full hit this year since 2019 is looking like a total lost cause if AB continues to be a jackass, especially before the draft so they can have an extra pick to try and fill the hole he would cause

- - - Updated - - -

the Cheatriots will have to get rid of Tom Brady then, he yells at his receivers all the time.

Also not sure he will like having targets poached by Juilian Edelman and Gronk and the no name receivers that Brady throws to

steelreserve
01-03-2019, 09:26 PM

That's the only one that has appeal to me, however unlikely it is.

We are dogshit at drafting DBs, so might as well assume any draft pick we get from #1 on down is just going to be a disappointment if that's what we use it for.

You can get a pretty good LB and WR with picks 20 and 33, so we'd solve three problems for the price of one.

IIRC, Arizona also has two inside linebackers who were not bad and kind of the lighter quicker type that we need, but fell out of favor in their new defensive scheme. Maybe we could engineer a deal for one of them, or sign one who gets released (I think this was also likely for cap reasons).

Holy shit, Steelers become Arizona East.

teegre
01-03-2019, 09:35 PM
Raiders for #4 pick
Jets for the #3 pick
49ers for the #2 pick

No to picks. I want an established player.

Peterson and the#33 would be great. The first pick of Day 2 is a hiiiighly coveted pick. Either we get “the guy who dropped” and we get a king’s ransom from some team wanting to get that guy. :nod:

Howard is not on Peterson’s level, but holy crap, he’s reeeeeeally good. The 13th pick would be just about out of Devin White’s range (I figure he will go 7-9)... but, we could easily trade up from 13 to get him.

I would be ecstatic with either trade.

lipps83
01-03-2019, 09:49 PM

After all, employees like this one are very hard to find and keep.

Yeah but, he took a helicopter to training camp....

Does anyone else realize that a lot of these stories about why AB might be upset are hearsay? Hearsay is not always admissible in the court system because it isn't reliable evidence. Nobody really knows, half of what is being printed is merely conjecture and everyone is flat out believing it virtually without question and wanting to burn AB at the stake.

Does nobody realize this news story going around right now that AB is upset because JuJu was the team MVP is completely fabricated? When did AB say this? If those words came out of his mouth, I haven't heard them myself or even heard he said that to anyone. It is only speculated.

Has AB been kind of a douche the last couple weeks, sure seems so to me. Is the media 100% right on the reasons why? Probably not even close.

There is no way to know until AB himself says what is going on with him.

But damn, get those clicks and views so you can get paid for advertisements.

Fire Goodell
01-04-2019, 12:22 AM
eh but you now, we don't need things called facts anymore in this day's media.

right now, "fake news or anything i can find in line with my own beliefs" is more important than anything factual. Kind of sad times we live in right now

FrancoLambert
01-04-2019, 06:37 AM
Yeah but, he took a helicopter to training camp....

Does anyone else realize that a lot of these stories about why AB might be upset are hearsay? Hearsay is not always admissible in the court system because it isn't reliable evidence. Nobody really knows, half of what is being printed is merely conjecture and everyone is flat out believing it virtually without question and wanting to burn AB at the stake.

Does nobody realize this news story going around right now that AB is upset because JuJu was the team MVP is completely fabricated? When did AB say this? If those words came out of his mouth, I haven't heard them myself or even heard he said that to anyone. It is only speculated.

Has AB been kind of a douche the last couple weeks, sure seems so to me. Is the media 100% right on the reasons why? Probably not even close.

There is no way to know until AB himself says what is going on with him.

But damn, get those clicks and views so you can get paid for advertisements.

Do you really believe that AB would be so upfront and honest to admit that not being named team MVP is what set him off?

Connecting the dots can lead you to the truth. Not always, but often.

Actions speak louder than words. I put more stock into trying to derive meaning from his actions than from his unspoken words.

Dwinsgames
01-04-2019, 08:42 AM
Yeah. None of those are happening. Teams are simply not going to give up a premium draft pick and/or player for an asset a team is forced to dump.

but Da'Raiders got a 1st for Amari Cooper in the 4th year of his deal , who had just 25 career TDs and never broke 1200 yards in a season ...

AB just had what many call a down year and his numbers blow Coopers best year away ....

you may think they might have to " scare up a deal " but I am betting teams are already salivating at the chance to snap him up

will they get as much as the PPG article anticipates IDK maybe not , but maybe more ??? we just do not know

Born2Steel
01-04-2019, 08:53 AM
Trading AB is going to be tough. As good as he is he comes with a $20M price tag as well. A team might take on that AND give up a player/draft pick in return, but odds are not good. There are always teams that surprise you but I don’t think a trade gets done.

I don’t think just waive him and cut a check is going to happen either. Whatever else AB is, he is first and foremost Ben’s ABsolute favorite target. Ben gets what he wants usually.

This is my opinion on what happens. As to what I would like, a different conversation.

vasteeler
01-04-2019, 09:02 AM
I still bet he's not going anywhere.

Rotorhead
01-04-2019, 09:27 AM
I wasn’t saying this was going to happen, but it is one possibility, at least if it does happen (AB traded) there is the possibility of improving the team.

DesertSteel
01-04-2019, 10:02 AM
All reports talk about taking a $21M cap hit in 2019 to trade AB. Folks, that ain't gonna happen. At this point he's either going to play or hold out. I hope he plays, but if not, get ready for the circus again in 2019.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-04-2019, 11:30 AM
I still bet he's not going anywhere.

I will double down on that with ya.

What is it....6 months to training camp and fans already loosing their minds about next season roster and trades?

Shoes
01-04-2019, 06:26 PM
I will double down on that with ya.

What is it....6 months to training camp and fans already loosing their minds about next season roster and trades?

you guys may be right but my gut is telling me he is gone. Hopefully everything can be repaired for another year or two, but I think he’ll be playing for another team in 2019

teegre
01-05-2019, 08:43 AM
Here is an interesting turn that tells me that AB may not want to be traded...

AB & Harrison had an “interview” set up. It was obvious going to rip Tomlin.

Then... no interview.

Instead, Harrison posts how he is part of AB’s family, and that “family” is there for one another during rough times... and, Harrison will help AB get through this rough patch.

Why the change? Well, in the meantime, the media pundits were ripping AB. More importantly, it appears as though the Steelers we willing to call AB’s bluff (and actually trade him).

SUMMATION:
AB seems to have calmed down a bit, and next season is a long time away (time enough for healing to occur). That said, AB could obviously still hold out (which is more likely than not). At that point, it would be far more difficult for the Steelers to trade AB. Then again, the Steelers didn’t flinch when Bell sat out (so, I could see them moving on with their season while AB does shirtless burpees in his driveway).

IMO, the Steelers have grown tired of AB, and the realistic threat of a holdout makes a trade a legitimate possibility. We have two months (for AB to convince the Steelers otherwise).

AtlantaDan
01-05-2019, 08:48 AM
I agree with the statement in a column by Gene Collier of the P-G (“the price of narcissism”) which is linked in another thread that if AB leaves, this team for the rest of Ben’s short remaining time is done as even a remote contender for a Super Bowl (which it may be anyhow with teams like Cleveland and even more so Indy rising quickly to add to other AFC contenders). With this defense the Steelers need to remain a top shelf offense, which they will not be in 2019 if AB is gone.

If AJRII is not ready to concede this incident forced blowing up a team that already has missed its shot, Brown’s agent Drew Rosenhaus may be able to be an initial bridge for possible discussions with the Steelers about whether this can be fixed.

But if AB is going to stay he is going to have to talk with Tomlin, who has said he will solicit player input. Any clue if AB is on decent terms with a veteran player who might remotely be considered his friend (spoiler alert - it ain’t Ben) who could speak with AB on whether he really wants out and also be able to tell Tomlin whether if AB stays Tomlin has lost significant other members of the team? Only possibility I can come up with is Pouncey since they are both on offense and both joined the team in 2010

That of course ties in to who might be regarded as a leader on this team.

pczach
01-05-2019, 09:26 AM
I agree with the statement in a column by Gene Collier of the P-G (“the price of narcissism”) which is linked in another thread that if AB leaves, this team for the rest of Ben’s short remaining time is done as even a remote contender for a Super Bowl (which it may be anyhow with teams like Cleveland and even more so Indy rising quickly to add to other AFC contenders). With this defense the Steelers need to remain a top shelf offense, which they will not be in 2019 if AB is gone.

If AJRII is not ready to concede this incident forced blowing up a team that already has missed its shot, Brown’s agent Drew Rosenhaus may be able to be an initial bridge for possible discussions with the Steelers about whether this can be fixed.

But if AB is going to stay he is going to have to talk with Tomlin, who has said he will solicit player input. Any clue if AB is on decent terms with a veteran player who might remotely be considered his friend (spoiler alert - it ain’t Ben) who could speak with AB on whether he really wants out and also be able to tell Tomlin whether if AB stays Tomlin has lost significant other members of the team? Only possibility I can come up with is Pouncey since they are both on offense and both joined the team in 2010

That of course ties in to who might be regarded as a leader on this team.

I disagree that this team is done as a Super Bowl contender while Ben remains here.

The defense is a player or two away and better scheme to become a very good defense. It is something that can be turned around quickly. We just saw the 2017 4-12 Colts become a very good team with a strong draft. The additions of Quentin Nelson, Darius Leonard, and Braden Smith have transformed that team. Yes, Andrew Luck is back, but they were losing with Luck. Things can change very quickly when a few of the right players are acquired.

Even if the Steelers trade Antonio Brown, all is not lost. It is just a new beginning. I think people tend to forget how quickly lightning can strike, and how quickly the psychology of a locker room can change with harmful personalities gone and when new, talented ones appear and unite for one cause.

It will take change. It will take perseverance. It will mean reinventing themselves in some way...but it can happen. I truly believe that.....even without Antonio Brown.

AtlantaDan
01-05-2019, 09:44 AM
We just saw the 2017 4-12 Colts become a very good team with a strong draft. The additions of Quentin Nelson, Darius Leonard, and Braden Smith have transformed that team. Yes, Andrew Luck is back, but they were losing with Luck. Things can change very quickly when a few of the right players are acquired.

The Colts also fired their head coach :rolleyes:

vader29
01-05-2019, 09:52 AM
The Colts also fired their head coach :rolleyes:

https://i.ibb.co/YWqSNsT/tgiphy.gif

Shoes
01-05-2019, 10:00 AM
https://i.ibb.co/YWqSNsT/tgiphy.gif

:lol: You come up with some good ones Bud

zulater
01-05-2019, 10:55 AM
I disagree that this team is done as a Super Bowl contender while Ben remains here.

The defense is a player or two away and better scheme to become a very good defense. It is something that can be turned around quickly. We just saw the 2017 4-12 Colts become a very good team with a strong draft. The additions of Quentin Nelson, Darius Leonard, and Braden Smith have transformed that team. Yes, Andrew Luck is back, but they were losing with Luck. Things can change very quickly when a few of the right players are acquired.

Even if the Steelers trade Antonio Brown, all is not lost. It is just a new beginning. I think people tend to forget how quickly lightning can strike, and how quickly the psychology of a locker room can change with harmful personalities gone and when new, talented ones appear and unite for one cause.

It will take change. It will take perseverance. It will mean reinventing themselves in some way...but it can happen. I truly believe that.....even without Antonio Brown.

Agreed. No way is this team done as a contender. For one thing, when the competition level is raised this team tends to raise it's own game accordingly. Then you break it down. On offense the offensive line shows no sign of slipping. Obviously it will hurt if they lose Munchak (far from a given) but assistant OL coach Shaun Sarrett is considered an up and comer in the coaching world and will fill in ably and the talent is there regardless who's coaching. Pouncey and DeCastro both are elite and are in their prime. AV has become a top tier LT and is also in his prime. I expect Gilbert is gone ( barely there the past two seasons anyway) but I'm told the Steelers are extremely high on 18 3rd round draft choice Chukwuma Okofora who quietly started 3 games and performed very well. His upside is thought to be through the roof. If Foster leaves his leadership will be missed and he was a good player but they have B.J. Finney in reserve ready to step in if needed. But I think they would keep him as a reserve being as he can play both guard positions and center. I think Matt Feiler who ably replaced Gilbert at tackle most of the season will be Foster's successor. He's considered a more natural guard than tackle.

At RB I love what I saw from James Conner this year! I hope with how things ended this season they'll be more committed to running next season. When they had their 6 game winning streak their run-pass ratio was at about 60-40 pass. In their 3 game losing streak it was closer to 70-30. Jaylen Samuels showed promise. I'm not sure he's a capable number 2 back but I'm not sure he's not either. Expect the Steelers to do with Jaylen what they did with Lev Bell after his rookie season and request he come to OTA's 10 pounds lighter and tighter. The tight ends are adequate ( not sure if James will be brought back but I expect he will) this area could be addressed with an early round pick. Ju Ju obviously is an emerging star. I know everyone is thinking based on the Bengals game that without AB to draw double coverage Ju Ju will falter but I disagree. Take last year's season finale as an example. AB and Ben were sat out to rest for the playoffs. Ju Ju catching passes from Landry caught 10 balls for 143 yards and 1 TD. You say oh that was the Browns. And I say you really thing that injury depleted Bengal team that stumbled into Pittsburgh was any better? The reason the Steelers sucked against the Bengals imo was the residue of AB's week long bullshit combined with the natural let down that comes with such a hard fought loss to the Saints where you knew you had the game taken from you. James Washington showed flashes but obviously you can't pencil him in as a starter at this point. Obviously AB will have to be replaced. But the good news is none of the WR's who have started in the SB through the duration of AB's career were in fact Antonio Brown!So please don't tell he there's not a competent WR out there who can combine with the rest of our offensive roster and give this team a chance to compete and contend!

Real quick on the defense. Obviously changes are coming Coaching staff and scheme hopefully included. But there is talent there. T.J. is an emerging force. Cam Heyward, Stephen Tuitt, and Javon Hargrave can play on any team. Terrell Edmunds showed promise as a rookie. I think it's essential they resign Joe Haden and I think he wants to come back. Hopefully that's made a priority. So the cupboard isn't bare. We'll see.

And of course special teams need to be improved. Start with replace Danny Smith. Our average starting field position was 32nd in a 32 team league. The obligitory hold or illegal block on virtually every return certainly played a huge part in that. Gotta figure out if Boswell can be salvaged into a reliable kicker? Hope so. Because while Matt McCrane did a good job making his fg's his kickoffs were pathetic. I don't think he's an NFL caliber kicker.

Anyway there's still plenty of talent to work with. This window hasn't closed yet.
!