PDA

View Full Version : When Does Rooney Step Up and Lead?

DesertSteel
01-03-2019, 08:49 AM
Clearly there is a lack of leadership within the Steelers organization - both on the field and off the field. My question is when does Rooney step up as a leader and speak and more importantly take action. It's his team. The buck stops with him. Whatever he does, he needs to do something and be timely in doing so. This is his true defining moment and I will be waiting.....

AtlantaDan
01-03-2019, 08:54 AM
Clearly there is a lack of leadership within the Steelers organization - both on the field and off the field. My question is when does Rooney step up as a leader and speak and more importantly take action. It's his team. The buck stops with him. Whatever he does, he needs to do something and be timely in doing so. This is his true defining moment and I will be waiting.....

AJRII usually gives a state of the Steelers interview to local media around two weeks after the season ends

Unless he would have fired Tomlin, which is not happening this year, the Rooney Way traditionally has been to work through the head coach rather than take action directly.

That of course would be the Jerry Jones Way - if you want real hands on owner involvement there is your role model

Tomlin's demeanor yesterday indicates to me he already has been involved in several unpleasant conversations with AJRII regarding problems inside and outside the lines

IMO you are going to get comments from AJRII along the lines of these comments from his father during the 1988 season, after which Noll did come close to getting fired if he would not have fired a number of his assistant coaches

Pittsburgh Steelers president Dan Rooney, in unprecedented in-season criticism, said he is unhappy with some of Chuck Noll's coaching decisions and with "stupid plays" that have produced a 2-10 record.

Rooney promised an extensive off-season evaluation of the Steelers' coaching and scouting staffs and said, "I want to get it across that I'm not taking this situation all right."
"I'm going to look at everything," Rooney said. "This does not mean we're going to go in and chuck everything."

He has no plans to fire Noll--Rooney said Noll's job is not in jeopardy--but he is clearly unhappy the Steelers are tied with the Green Bay Packers and Dallas Cowboys for the National Football League's worst record.

The Steelers are headed for their worst season since they were 1-13 in 1969, Noll's rookie season; their worst season since then was 6-10 two years ago.

"I don't think we can say it's all well and good. At times we played all right (in a 27-7 loss Sunday against the Cleveland Browns), but stupid plays took us out of the game," Rooney told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

http://articles.latimes.com/1988-11-23/sports/sp-487_1_dan-rooney

That 1988 team obviously was much worse than this one, but the talent and expectations for the current team were much higher

DesertSteel
01-03-2019, 08:59 AM
Usually the "state of the franchise" is not a total wreck. I'm not looking for Jerry Jones, but something more than the usual passive yawn fest.

AtlantaDan
01-03-2019, 09:30 AM
Usually the "state of the franchise" is not a total wreck. I'm not looking for Jerry Jones, but something more than the usual passive yawn fest.

He fired Arians after Tomlin would not do it after the 2011 season

There is a lot to be said for the owner getting hands on only when you hit a crisis point such as the franchise QB looking at an early end to his career due to the way a mediocre offense operated in 2011 or, like now, when it is clear the system is broken and stars such as Bell, AB and Ben (INTs and the radio appearances) have been consistently undisciplined.

DesertSteel
01-03-2019, 09:36 AM
He fired Arians after Tomlin would not do it after the 2011 season

There is a lot to be said for the owner getting hands on only when you hit a crisis point such as the franchise QB looking at an early end to his career due to the way a mediocre offense operated in 2011 or, like now, when it is clear the system is broken and stars such as Bell, AB and Ben (INTs and the radio appearances) have been consistently undisciplined.
I agree. In the absence of leadership (unless you count rhetoric as leadership), the top guy must assert himself, even if it's outside protocol.

Michael
01-03-2019, 09:49 AM
Desert Steel & Atlanta Dan you are 100 percent right on. All we can do is hope and pray that we will hear from Art 11 and what we hear will be encouraging.

I just called the Steelers Administrative office (Attendant who directed my call to Art's voice mail is a pleasant young lady named Diane) and I in turn left a message stating I am looking forward to His ( Art 11) thoughts & plans to reverse this disappointing season. I stated I understand that it will take a few days or a couple weeks to prepare for and present a "State of the Steelers Address" but I believe it is important to hear from the ultimate leader to get this great franchise back on track. I am sure we will hear from him. The telephone number is 412-432-7800. Diane's extension is 7808. Perhaps some of you could call. I believe the voice of the fans is very respected by The Rooneys and the other owners.

Moose
01-03-2019, 09:54 AM
If Rooney looks at any films of this team Defense and Special teams plays for the past 3-4 years and thinks everything is on the up and up and doesn't need change, than he know's about as much about football as Mike Brown ! Colbert and Tomlin seat should be hot.....Butler and other Defense/Special team coaches seat should be EMPTY !!! What does J.Porter do anyway ? Ugh.

86WARD
01-03-2019, 10:04 AM
The usual Steelers way isn’t cutting it at the moment and it’s because of Tomlin and the locker room culture. It needs to change. Major change and trading AB isn’t the answer. Harrison gone, Bell stepped into the distraction role, Bell gone and AB steps into the distraction role. Get rid of AB and there will just be another one to step into that role. Maybe TJ Watt. Maybe Cam Heyward, Maybe Ben, who knows...maybe JuJu. These are all players that the media and fans have praised and could do no wrong and now all are pretty much on the Steelers Most Wanted List...lol.

teegre
01-03-2019, 10:12 AM
The usual Steelers way isn’t cutting it at the moment and it’s because of Tomlin and the locker room culture. It needs to change. Major change and trading AB isn’t the answer. Harrison gone, Bell stepped into the distraction role, Bell gone and AB steps into the distraction role. Get rid of AB and there will just be another one to step into that role. Maybe TJ Watt. Maybe Cam Heyward, Maybe Ben, who knows...maybe JuJu. These are all players that the media and fans have praised and could do no wrong and now all are pretty much on the Steelers Most Wanted List...lol.

I don’t envision that Watt would throw sofas out of high rises at children... but, I could be wrong about that.

teegre
01-03-2019, 10:24 AM
The Steelers should go after John Harbaugh. He never has these kinds of problems with players.

#bleach
#elevatorrides
#deerantlerspray

Shoes
01-03-2019, 11:23 AM
Just think if the Steelers would have had a one and done everything would have carried on and carried over to next year just like it has for years. As I said before I'm happy the Steelers didn't win the division for this very reason. I've been saying for years there is a chain of command issue with this team and at least now the spotlights are turned on and some change will come. It should be a wakeup call when a team with the history and ownership it has, is now circling the drain in drama while others move on to the playoffs. The Buck stops with AJRII, his first real test without Dan. I wish him great success.

DesertSteel
01-03-2019, 12:39 PM
If Rooney looks at any films of this team Defense and Special teams plays for the past 3-4 years and thinks everything is on the up and up and doesn't need change, than he know's about as much about football as Mike Brown ! Colbert and Tomlin seat should be hot.....Butler and other Defense/Special team coaches seat should be EMPTY !!! What does J.Porter do anyway ? Ugh.
It would be great if he would sit down with an outside football consultant (retired coach) and watch film and get an objective evaluation.

AtlantaDan
01-03-2019, 12:47 PM
It would be great if he would sit down with an outside football consultant (retired coach) and watch film and get an objective evaluation.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/collegefootballmania/images/f/f1/Bill_Cowher.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20180428182033

:stirthepot:

Dwinsgames
01-03-2019, 12:49 PM
https://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/angrycowher1.jpg?w=250

:stirthepot:

honestly , I think I would go with Tony D ...

sure he and Mike are friendly but he also has a loyalty card with the Rooney Family and Steelers organization ...

that may be as unbiased as it gets while still having a relationship with both sides of the coin

Hawkman
01-03-2019, 01:07 PM

sure he and Mike are friendly but he also has a loyalty card with the Rooney Family and Steelers organization ...

that may be as unbiased as it gets while still having a relationship with both sides of the coin

True, and I think Tony D. Can be very objective. I don’t see him getting offended if someone disagrees with him. He can lay his assessments out there and do with them what you will. Personally i would start with a social media blackout during the season. Call me old fashioned, but damn I’m getting sick of it.

Moose
01-03-2019, 01:19 PM

That would be a great idea ! And Cowher would be a great choice too for advice. I'm starting to believe Rooney doesn't know what he's doing, and starting to believe he doesn't know football. This is NOT his father's Steeler's. He's like Mike Brown....NOT Paul Brown. The Defense is deflated. Special team is deflated. Trouble brews in Offense. What's left ? Nothing after last place, where this team is headed. CHANGES NEED TO MADE.....NOW !!!!!!

Mojouw
01-03-2019, 01:26 PM
Every thread is basically saying the same thing at this point. Something about leadership. But yet, no one can explain to me what that looks like or what they as masterful leaders would do differently.

The only tangible differences people can point to are:
1. Win many more games and SBs.
2. Fans are owed more detailed answers and apologies when the team and players do not meet their expectations.
3. Coaches are now responsible for tantrums and social media tirades by players.

Ok. I do not agree with those points. But let us leave that aside. You are now the head coach. What are you doing to specifically address the embarrassment you feel this load of underachievers has become?

For instance, everyone seems to rally around the "accountability" concept. Okay, what is more accountable than being benched in an elimination game? Do you want a public apology from AB to you, the fan, for making you feel angry and sad at the same time?

Dwinsgames
01-03-2019, 01:37 PM
For instance, everyone seems to rally around the "accountability" concept. Okay, what is more accountable than being benched in an elimination game? Do you want a public apology from AB to you, the fan, for making you feel angry and sad at the same time?

Being benched is not a show of accountability its a form of punishment , sticking around and supporting his team mates during such punishment is a sign of accountability not walking around with a big ass look at me smile while wearing a mink coat that's not accountability at all it more braggart look at me bullshit ..... Leaving at halftime is NOT accountability its more of the ok I did my part I am out of here screw you guys I'm gonna go have a beer or a steak while you grind this thing out ...

AtlantaDan
01-03-2019, 02:06 PM

Could have suspended him - since Brown's contract is structured to include only $915,000 in salary this season (that jumps to $12,625,000 in 2019) that would have been less than a $60,000 pop (real $$$ to almost everyone else but three pieces of GOAT jewelry to AB) for missing a game check.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/antonio-brown-6702/

That probably would not have caused AB to be much more antagonized than he is already while saying to any players along with outraged fans who wanted blood that Tomlin did all he could.

In terms of accountability and sloppy conduct by the 2018 Steelers, if the league office wants to get ugly about it Tomlin's press conference yesterday in which he said this became more than an alleged injury issue on Saturday could cost a draft pick. The Steelers could roll with AB allegedly being "injured" through sending him off for the MRI on Friday, but after Tomlin said AB not showing up on Saturday made it a non-injury issue, that apparently led Tomlin to decide at that time Brown would not play, the Steelers had an obligation to let the media and concerned gamblers of America know about it under the league's injury report policy.

If after the Friday update and prior to the 90-minute meeting at which the club submits its list of inactive players, an injury or other event occurs that may affect a player’s ability to play, the club’s Public Relations Director is required to report that information immediately to the local media, the Associated Press, the televising network, the Public Relations Department of the club’s game opponent and the NFL Communications Department.

https://operations.nfl.com/media/2683/2017-nfl-injury-report-policy.pdf

The Steelers were criticized for walking the line on how seriously injured Bell was before the AFC championship two years ago and may get slapped for playing games again on how they reported AB's availability. That would be a cherry on top of this particular crap sundae.

Mojouw
01-03-2019, 02:09 PM
Being benched is not a show of accountability its a form of punishment , sticking around and supporting his team mates during such punishment is a sign of accountability not walking around with a big ass look at me smile while wearing a mink coat that's not accountability at all it more braggart look at me bullshit ..... Leaving at halftime is NOT accountability its more of the ok I did my part I am out of here screw you guys I'm gonna go have a beer or a steak while you grind this thing out ...

Which is back to how all this makes you feel. And the actions of AB not Tomlin. Do you seriously think that a HC is concerned with where players he has deactivated are during the game? Can you imagine the outcry if the Steelers missed a challenge because Tomlin was wasting time hunting for AB on the sidelines? C'mon.

Punishment is accountability. It mandates that actions have consequences. What it seems you and others are (perhaps justifiably so) looking for is contrition.

Moose
01-03-2019, 02:18 PM
To answer just some of your questions. I'm old school. I don't believe in most of the 'modern' antics of this new style of football. I'm still a believer in DEFENSE. I believe in wrap'em up in tackling.....not launching yourself, only to miss most of the time and look asinine. I believe in sticking on your man like stink on shit....no 5-10 yrd cushion, only to have to chase your man down the field after he makes the catch. How about NO cell phones in locker rooms until after practice, sounds good to me. How about NO celebrations in endzone after TD's.....celebrate with team at bench. Show class not ass. Spend time before games learning routes and plays not practicing dance moves. Remember what you are getting paid for....TD's, passes, receptions, tackles, interceptions, pass coverages, etc.,etc... I really don't care to watch a full grown man do some stupid, rhythmless dance or stance in endzone. Team photo's are usually taken at end of year, not during games in endzone. To me this is DISCIPLINE, RESPECT AND RESPONSIBILITY. A lot of what we were taught year's ago when playing. No prima donnas when I played high school (late 60's...showing my age LOL) If one player screwed up the whole team paid for it. Now a days....anything goes. NO respect. You can't single anyone out. Don't hurt anyone's feeling. Snowflakes and sissies. No one today could take a good ass kickin' or ass pounding. I was Vietnam era, which makes me laugh with the 'modern man' type. The era of good ole' football is over. The question of when will Rooney step up and lead ? This will be tough to answer. Rules and regulations for the sport is limiting alot. Political correct crap is limiting alot. Rooney Rule is in question at time. Fire someone or sit someone because of race is questioned. I'm sure alot of the old, tough as nail coaches would get in someone's face and leave nothing unturned, but there are things you can't say or do nowadays. A shame in my book, because I tell it like it is and always will. I live in the country, and on my fence is a sign reading " I believe in GOD and GUNS...trespass and you'll meet both !" So, you get where I stand. I believe Rooney better stand up, like his dad and grandfather would, get Tomlin in order and straighten this team up fast with rules and regulation understood or show the whole FO the road. I feel this modern day Steeler team is faulty and pathetic. I love my Steeler's. I love the old defensive, knock your ass out Steeler. The Steeler's that other teams were afraid to play and were jealous of. I believe the Raven's are trying to become....look at their defense. Thanks, and remember....this is just MY OPINION. Peace and God bless for 2019 ! Go Steelers.

DesertSteel
01-03-2019, 02:30 PM
Every thread is basically saying the same thing at this point. Something about leadership. But yet, no one can explain to me what that looks like or what they as masterful leaders would do differently.

2. Fans are owed more detailed answers and apologies when the team and players do not meet their expectations.
3. Coaches are now responsible for tantrums and social media tirades by players.

Ok. I do not agree with those points. But let us leave that aside. You are now the head coach. What are you doing to specifically address the embarrassment you feel this load of underachievers has become?

All I want is to hear from Rooney that he sees that there is a problem with the culture. Have we heard that from him in recent seasons? I don't recall it. It is presently at it's worst. I'd like to know that he thinks it's a problem. (I realize you probably don't think it's any worse than the other 31 teams, but you're in the minority.) I'd also like to hear that changes are going to be made to fix the culture. I don't really need to hear the plan, but would like to know he has one. From there, I can be patient to see what he does.

Further, he likely needs to be the one to assert himself for some position coaches to be fired.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd really like that!

Mojouw
01-03-2019, 02:36 PM
All I want is to hear from Rooney that he sees that there is a problem with the culture. Have we heard that from him in recent seasons? I don't recall it. It is presently at it's worst. I'd like to know that he thinks it's a problem. (I realize you probably don't think it's any worse than the other 31 teams, but you're in the minority.) I'd also like to hear that changes are going to be made to fix the culture. I don't really need to hear the plan, but would like to know he has one. From there, I can be patient to see what he does.

Further, he likely needs to be the one to assert himself for some position coaches to be fired.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd really like that!

I agree on the position coaches thing and would extend that to the DC as well.

The rest is predicated on the idea that coaches and owners owe the fans answers, apologies, and sympathy. They don't. Don't like the product or the messages that come along with the product? Don't buy it.

Again, not trying to come at you or anyone else in a personal way -- I just can't get the connection that I feel is running through a ton of posts. I am a fan. I am angry. I am confused. Someone owes me an answer. yeah, no. No one is going to provide those answers for you.

DesertSteel
01-03-2019, 02:40 PM
I agree on the position coaches thing and would extend that to the DC as well.

The rest is predicated on the idea that coaches and owners owe the fans answers, apologies, and sympathy. They don't. Don't like the product or the messages that come along with the product? Don't buy it.

Again, not trying to come at you or anyone else in a personal way -- I just can't get the connection that I feel is running through a ton of posts. I am a fan. I am angry. I am confused. Someone owes me an answer. yeah, no. No one is going to provide those answers for you.
Where in my response did I mention anything about apologies or answers? And why would I want his sympathy. He's the one who has mine at this point. I said I want to know that he sees there is a problem and that he plans to address it. I said I don't need to know what the plan was, but would wait and see what happened.

fansince'76
01-03-2019, 02:41 PM
In terms of accountability and sloppy conduct by the 2018 Steelers, if the league office wants to get ugly about it Tomlin's press conference yesterday in which he said this became more than an alleged injury issue on Saturday could cost a draft pick. The Steelers could roll with AB allegedly being "injured" through sending him off for the MRI on Friday, but after Tomlin said AB not showing up on Saturday made it a non-injury issue, that apparently led Tomlin to decide at that time Brown would not play, the Steelers had an obligation to let the media and concerned gamblers of America know about it under the league's injury report policy.

If after the Friday update and prior to the 90-minute meeting at which the club submits its list of inactive players, an injury or other event occurs that may affect a player’s ability to play, the club’s Public Relations Director is required to report that information immediately to the local media, the Associated Press, the televising network, the Public Relations Department of the club’s game opponent and the NFL Communications Department.

https://operations.nfl.com/media/2683/2017-nfl-injury-report-policy.pdf

The Steelers were criticized for walking the line on how seriously injured Bell was before the AFC championship two years ago and may get slapped for playing games again on how they reported AB's availability. That would be a cherry on top of this particular crap sundae.

Perhaps when Roger finally gets around to addressing Brady's weekly injury report appearance for the better part of a decade due to a "bum shoulder"... :coffee:

Mojouw
01-03-2019, 02:54 PM
Where in my response did I mention anything about apologies or answers? And why would I want his sympathy. He's the one who has mine at this point. I said I want to know that he sees there is a problem and that he plans to address it. I said I don't need to know what the plan was, but would wait and see what happened.

The idea that you want/need to hear statements about a plan indicates that you have an unanswered question; namely "What will the Pittsburgh Steelers be doing from now until the start of the 2019 season to address the locker-room culture and player conduct in regards to reestablishing a positive team culture that fits the traditional model the franchise has held itself and its players to over the tenure of the Rooney family's ownership."

While you and I would like to hear that answer, we will never get it and we are not owed that answer. Especially because of how the Steelers traditionally do business. They never reveal details on players, coaches, or even the other minority owners. It just isn't how they do it. Instead we get, through the media, cliches, platitudes, and catchy slogans. Why would now be any different?

DesertSteel
01-03-2019, 03:37 PM
The idea that you want/need to hear statements about a plan indicates that you have an unanswered question; namely "What will the Pittsburgh Steelers be doing from now until the start of the 2019 season to address the locker-room culture and player conduct in regards to reestablishing a positive team culture that fits the traditional model the franchise has held itself and its players to over the tenure of the Rooney family's ownership."

While you and I would like to hear that answer, we will never get it and we are not owed that answer. Especially because of how the Steelers traditionally do business. They never reveal details on players, coaches, or even the other minority owners. It just isn't how they do it. Instead we get, through the media, cliches, platitudes, and catchy slogans. Why would now be any different?
I'm at a loss at how else I can express myself about what I'd like to hear from the owner. It seems you want to force my response into a certain box to match your rebuttal. I have said twice that I don't need to know what he's doing or what the plan is. I simply want to know if he thinks there's a problem and if so, he will try to fix it. The rest can be unsaid.

Mojouw
01-03-2019, 03:46 PM
I'm at a loss at how else I can express myself about what I'd like to hear from the owner. It seems you want to force my response into a certain box to match your rebuttal. I have said twice that I don't need to know what he's doing or what the plan is. I simply want to know if he thinks there's a problem and if so, he will try to fix it. The rest can be unsaid.

So all you want is Rooney to say that he thinks things could be better and the team will work towards that goal? I mean that is what everyone is and has been saying for the entire Tomlin/Rooney/Colbert tenure. And whenever things go bad, people rip those statements for being cliches and hollow arrogant posturing.

I guess I get the sense that people want leadership and change, but then when pressed they can only come up with the things that are already being exhibited and highly vague beliefs that things should be working out differently.

For me leadership, is a specific plan with actionable items and timelines for their assessment. And what you are envisioning seems to be very different from that.

Dwinsgames
01-03-2019, 03:54 PM
Which is back to how all this makes you feel. And the actions of AB not Tomlin. Do you seriously think that a HC is concerned with where players he has deactivated are during the game? Can you imagine the outcry if the Steelers missed a challenge because Tomlin was wasting time hunting for AB on the sidelines? C'mon.

Punishment is accountability. It mandates that actions have consequences. What it seems you and others are (perhaps justifiably so) looking for is contrition.

we are just gonna have to disagree with the definition of accountability then ....

accountability is something YOU do not something someone else does to you ....

Being accountable is admitting you are wrong and then accepting whatever form of punishment is handed down like a man ...

when you leave the stadium you are not accepting the punishment .....

Mojouw
01-03-2019, 04:01 PM
we are just gonna have to disagree with the definition of accountability then ....

accountability is something YOU do not something someone else does to you ....

Sure it works that way if the person in question is a high character individual who holds themselves to an appropriate standard of conduct. If the individual does not have those qualities, you must enforce accountability through consequences and punishment that correct and direct behavior to the desired channels.

What you seem to be saying is that AB is a selfish, entitled jerk. Sounds about right based on what we know as the general public. He was held accountable for his actions (going AWOL, not getting an MRI, and having his agent attempt to smooth things over) by his HC through the removal of the only thing NFL players care about besides money, playing time. I suspect that if at any point between Wednesday and Sunday morning, Brown had went to Tomlin and offered an explanation of his behavior and accepted responsibility for his actions, he would've suited up. But AB chose to not deal with the issues so Tomlin enacted punishment consequences.

Like, how else should this work? I mean in an ideal world none of it ever happens, but that would involve us controlling the psychological and emotional make-up of a person. Since that isn't possible or even legal, then this is what we are left with.

st33lersguy
01-03-2019, 04:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdbpmeUODME

DesertSteel
01-03-2019, 05:20 PM
So all you want is Rooney to say that he thinks things could be better and the team will work towards that goal? I mean that is what everyone is and has been saying for the entire Tomlin/Rooney/Colbert tenure. And whenever things go bad, people rip those statements for being cliches and hollow arrogant posturing.

I guess I get the sense that people want leadership and change, but then when pressed they can only come up with the things that are already being exhibited and highly vague beliefs that things should be working out differently.

For me leadership, is a specific plan with actionable items and timelines for their assessment. And what you are envisioning seems to be very different from that.
NO...... not that "things could be better" but that THERE IS A PROBLEM and that he is going to fix it. Right now, for all I know he's just counting his money and enjoying being rich.

Again... I didn't say he shouldn't have a plan but that I didn't need to know it at this point. You yourself said he didn't owe the fans an explanation.

Mojouw
01-03-2019, 05:29 PM
NO...... not that "things could be better" but that THERE IS A PROBLEM and that he is going to fix it. Right now, for all I know he's just counting his money and enjoying being rich.

Again... I didn't say he shouldn't have a plan but that I didn't need to know it at this point. You yourself said he didn't owe the fans an explanation.

Ok. I'm lost. Like what is an example of what you want him to do? Every year Rooney issues a statement or statements in late January that basically says the team is looking to improve and figure out how to get the missing wins that would result in a championship. I mean he dresses it up with fancier language, but that is what it boils down to. So assuming a version of that same statement comes out in the next 4 weeks, what else are you looking for? And how would a declarative statement that the owner is aware of a problem and is seeking a solution be any different from the statements that come out of the facility on a daily/weekly basis but are almost universally rejected by fans as arrogant and hollow?

AtlantaDan
01-03-2019, 05:31 PM
Perhaps when Roger finally gets around to addressing Brady's weekly injury report appearance for the better part of a decade due to a "bum shoulder"... :coffee:

Comparable conduct of course has little to do with how the NFL operates. ESPN and Florio on PFT are both raising the alleged breach of the integrity of the sacred injury report to dig up any new angle on this cluster, which could mean trouble since Roger is always willing to do something to spin the media when anything gets on his radar to which he feels a need to react.

DesertSteel
01-03-2019, 06:13 PM
Ok. I'm lost. Like what is an example of what you want him to do? Every year Rooney issues a statement or statements in late January that basically says the team is looking to improve and figure out how to get the missing wins that would result in a championship. I mean he dresses it up with fancier language, but that is what it boils down to. So assuming a version of that same statement comes out in the next 4 weeks, what else are you looking for? And how would a declarative statement that the owner is aware of a problem and is seeking a solution be any different from the statements that come out of the facility on a daily/weekly basis but are almost universally rejected by fans as arrogant and hollow?
I would like Rooney to step up and acknowledge that there is more broken than W/L. That there is a culture problem is his locker room. That he isn’t going to put up with it any longer and will do whatever is necessary to fix it. That’s what I want right now. I will take him at face value if he makes those statements and wait to watch what he does.

For the life life of me I can’t figure out what there is to be lost about in relation to what I want to see right now. I’ve stated it repeatedly.

Mojouw
01-03-2019, 06:24 PM
I would like Rooney to step up and acknowledge that there is more broken than W/L. That there is a culture problem is his locker room. That he isn’t going to put up with it any longer and will do whatever is necessary to fix it. That’s what I want right now. I will take him at face value if he makes those statements and wait to watch what he does.

For the life life of me I can’t figure out what there is to be lost about in relation to what I want to see right now. I’ve stated it repeatedly.

I can actually get that. It is more specific than many previous statements that have been posted in this and other threads by a variety of people.

For me, a press release from the owner or a taped statement doesn't move the needle at all. It is just the same thing that every team says at the end of every non SB season. I'm waiting for tangible actions. The most telling for me would be a purge of the defensive coaching staff and the reshaping of the roster to fit the needs and approaches of the new staff. I believe that will have a far greater impact on the winning and losing of football games than simply addressing culture issues.

For several seasons now, the owner has not demanded too much change and that is far more telling than issuing statements.

I honestly think this team is backed into a corner and doesn't know how to get out. They are ready to compete for titles on offense and they have no idea what to do on defense.

GBMelBlount
01-03-2019, 06:43 PM
Great thread. This is my favorite post.

We sit here blah blah blah'ing and Michael picks up the phone and calls the Steelers and states his case straight and simple.

I miss my dad who would have beemn 100 in 2018 and the good old days where what you see is what you get and if you have a problem you go right to the source.

I just sent you a friend request Michael and I am proud that you are a fellow Steelers Fan. :tea:

Desert Steel & Atlanta Dan you are 100 percent right on. All we can do is hope and pray that we will hear from Art 11 and what we hear will be encouraging.

I just called the Steelers Administrative office (Attendant who directed my call to Art's voice mail is a pleasant young lady named Diane) and I in turn left a message stating I am looking forward to His ( Art 11) thoughts & plans to reverse this disappointing season.

I stated I understand that it will take a few days or a couple weeks to prepare for and present a "State of the Steelers Address" but I believe it is important to hear from the ultimate leader to get this great franchise back on track. I am sure we will hear from him.

The telephone number is 412-432-7800. Diane's extension is 7808. Perhaps some of you could call. I believe the voice of the fans is very respected by The Rooneys and the other owners.

teegre
01-03-2019, 09:42 PM

I just called the Steelers Administrative office (Attendant who directed my call to Art's voice mail is a pleasant young lady named Diane) and I in turn left a message stating I am looking forward to His ( Art 11) thoughts & plans to reverse this disappointing season. I stated I understand that it will take a few days or a couple weeks to prepare for and present a "State of the Steelers Address" but I believe it is important to hear from the ultimate leader to get this great franchise back on track. I am sure we will hear from him. The telephone number is 412-432-7800 (tel:412-432-7800). Diane's extension is 7808. Perhaps some of you could call. I believe the voice of the fans is very respected by The Rooneys and the other owners.

Many years ago, when Marlon McCree fumbles away a playoff game for the Chargers, my buddy called Dean Spanos.

“Dean... it’s Ryan... yea, the one wearing the Sproles jersey; you probably saw me in the crowd. Anyway, I was calling to say...”

SUMMATION:
You, my friend, can hang out with me ANY time.

Fire Goodell
01-03-2019, 10:10 PM
I rather not have the owner lead, we don't need him to be another Jerry Jones or Al Davis. I want him to hire coaches that can lead

smokin3000gt
01-03-2019, 11:26 PM

Be moar better! Win moar games!!

Michael
01-04-2019, 10:04 AM
To answer just some of your questions. I'm old school. I don't believe in most of the 'modern' antics of this new style of football. I'm still a believer in DEFENSE. I believe in wrap'em up in tackling.....not launching yourself, only to miss most of the time and look asinine. I believe in sticking on your man like stink on shit....no 5-10 yrd cushion, only to have to chase your man down the field after he makes the catch. How about NO cell phones in locker rooms until after practice, sounds good to me. How about NO celebrations in endzone after TD's.....celebrate with team at bench. Show class not ass. Spend time before games learning routes and plays not practicing dance moves. Remember what you are getting paid for....TD's, passes, receptions, tackles, interceptions, pass coverages, etc.,etc... I really don't care to watch a full grown man do some stupid, rhythmless dance or stance in endzone. Team photo's are usually taken at end of year, not during games in endzone. To me this is DISCIPLINE, RESPECT AND RESPONSIBILITY. A lot of what we were taught year's ago when playing. No prima donnas when I played high school (late 60's...showing my age LOL) If one player screwed up the whole team paid for it. Now a days....anything goes. NO respect. You can't single anyone out. Don't hurt anyone's feeling. Snowflakes and sissies. No one today could take a good ass kickin' or ass pounding. I was Vietnam era, which makes me laugh with the 'modern man' type. The era of good ole' football is over. The question of when will Rooney step up and lead ? This will be tough to answer. Rules and regulations for the sport is limiting alot. Political correct crap is limiting alot. Rooney Rule is in question at time. Fire someone or sit someone because of race is questioned. I'm sure alot of the old, tough as nail coaches would get in someone's face and leave nothing unturned, but there are things you can't say or do nowadays. A shame in my book, because I tell it like it is and always will. I live in the country, and on my fence is a sign reading " I believe in GOD and GUNS...trespass and you'll meet both !" So, you get where I stand. I believe Rooney better stand up, like his dad and grandfather would, get Tomlin in order and straighten this team up fast with rules and regulation understood or show the whole FO the road. I feel this modern day Steeler team is faulty and pathetic. I love my Steeler's. I love the old defensive, knock your ass out Steeler. The Steeler's that other teams were afraid to play and were jealous of. I believe the Raven's are trying to become....look at their defense. Thanks, and remember....this is just MY OPINION. Peace and God bless for 2019 ! Go Steelers.

Moose you put it right out there so well. God bless you. It is a real struggle for me at my age (75) and my years of loving our Steelers to see what's happening through the filter of contemporary narcissistic values & cognition.

I can't and won't compromise my beliefs of how Steeler players should conduct themselves. Up until this year I naively believed the Steeler culture was in tact. Its not even,, the good guys protect their out of line team mates. We most likely are not going to get the true picture of the "culture disease" I think bits of the truth have been presented by Bradshaw, Blier and Harrison. Even Cowher alluded to the responsibility of getting the team ready to play is the coach's responsibility. I will admit Tomlin is doing a masterful job these past few days about embracing the responsibility of correcting the problems. I am by nature an optimist and want to believe Tomlin but objectively with the information at hand. I DON'T . I rationalized and defended him for several years but I will not any longer. I have met and know many master manipulators in my long life and I can walk away from these people very easily. Walking away from the Steelers is not that easy. I am a Steeler addict and I am working out within myself how to stay with my team and tolerate this coach. He plays the media, the fans, and I am pretty certain the ownership like a consummate musician. Close to half of our very commited and knowledgeable fans when asked in the blog pol . "Do you think Tomlin should be fired ? the answers when I looked last were (33-Yes --25 No). I respect all the no opinions because I am not so arrogant to state I am right and you are wrong. I do know my perspective is as close to truth as one plus one equals two and that is indisputable THE HEAD COACH IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CULTURE OF AN NFL TEAM. Chuck Noll totally understood this truth. H e was a different husband and father than he was football coach. He was Chaz the coach of the empire. Cowher was the "lets get physical" emotional leader. I will stick it in your vest pocket ref because you fked up. He could spit in Greg LLoyd's face because He fked up. Folks please pay attention to Tomlin's style and gift. He bullshits and yes LIES. The Steelers got to where they are under his watch. They will get back to being a solid team two ways that I can think of> # 1 Fire Tomlin and hire a Steeler type coach or # 2 Build a supportive infrastructure of new coaches and assign responsibilities where Tomlin is extremely weak . 1-Play calling in all & most of all critical situations, (OC & DC)). Clock management Asst who is on the field, one who is sharp & keenly alert & a Challenge Advisor , whose sole job is to alert that a challenge flag needs to thrown.

I know that # 2 is almost gutless if in fact not truly gutless. But I am a realist in these pitiful days I don't think Art has the courage to face reality and do the right thing. My personal experience is that second & third generational leaders are very often inept.in all businesses. The Bengals , the 49ers, The Raiders are just a few teams that come to mind. Maybe the Broncos. I am just trying to combine reality with an addictive loyalty. Mike Tomlin you not chasing me away. I have been a super fan for 67 years. You have been a Steeler coach for 12 years. Hopefully I will be here when your ass is gone. Once a Quip always a Quip. Once a Steeler fan always a Steeler fan.

DesertSteel
01-04-2019, 10:07 AM
I rather not have the owner lead, we don't need him to be another Jerry Jones or Al Davis. I want him to hire coaches that can lead
When is that going to happen???

Six Rings
01-04-2019, 10:32 AM

Outside of the franchise quarterback, a good owner is probably the 2nd most important thing to win a championship. After all, he hires the GM and head coach and sets the tone for the culture.

I agree. Art Rooney II has been missing in action. On sports, players come and go, and so do coaches, but you really can not fire the owner so you are stuck with them for better or worse.

Art needs to ask himself is he okay with just having a winning team full of drama and questionable coaching, or is it time to clean house and try to win another championship with Ben's 2-4 more prime years.

Shoes
01-04-2019, 10:44 AM
Moose you put it right out there so well. God bless you. It is a real struggle for me at my age (75) and my years of loving our Steelers to see what's happening through the filter of contemporary narcissistic values & cognition.

I can't and won't compromise my beliefs of how Steeler players should conduct themselves. Up until this year I naively believed the Steeler culture was in tact. Its not even,, the good guys protect their out of line team mates. We most likely are not going to get the true picture of the "culture disease" I think bits of the truth have been presented by Bradshaw, Blier and Harrison. Even Cowher alluded to the responsibility of getting the team ready to play is the coach's responsibility. I will admit Tomlin is doing a masterful job these past few days about embracing the responsibility of correcting the problems. I am by nature an optimist and want to believe Tomlin but objectively with the information at hand. I DON'T . I rationalized and defended him for several years but I will not any longer. I have met and know many master manipulators in my long life and I can walk away from these people very easily. Walking away from the Steelers is not that easy. I am a Steeler addict and I am working out within myself how to stay with my team and tolerate this coach. He plays the media, the fans, and I am pretty certain the ownership like a consummate musician. Close to half of our very commited and knowledgeable fans when asked in the blog pol . "Do you think Tomlin should be fired ? the answers when I looked last were (33-Yes --25 No). I respect all the no opinions because I am not so arrogant to state I am right and you are wrong. I do know my perspective is as close to truth as one plus one equals two and that is indisputable THE HEAD COACH IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CULTURE OF AN NFL TEAM. Chuck Noll totally understood this truth. H e was a different husband and father than he was football coach. He was Chaz the coach of the empire. Cowher was the "lets get physical" emotional leader. I will stick it in your vest pocket ref because you fked up. He could spit in Greg LLoyd's face because He fked up. Folks please pay attention to Tomlin's style and gift. He bullshits and yes LIES. The Steelers got to where they are under his watch. They will get back to being a solid team two ways that I can think of> # 1 Fire Tomlin and hire a Steeler type coach or # 2 Build a supportive infrastructure of new coaches and assign responsibilities where Tomlin is extremely weak . 1-Play calling in all & most of all critical situations, (OC & DC)). Clock management Asst who is on the field, one who is sharp & keenly alert & a Challenge Advisor , whose sole job is to alert that a challenge flag needs to thrown.

I know that # 2 is almost gutless if in fact not truly gutless. But I am a realist in these pitiful days I don't think Art has the courage to face reality and do the right thing. My personal experience is that second & third generational leaders are very often inept.in all businesses. The Bengals , the 49ers, The Raiders are just a few teams that come to mind. Maybe the Broncos. I am just trying to combine reality with an addictive loyalty. Mike Tomlin you not chasing me away. I have been a super fan for 67 years. You have been a Steeler coach for 12 years. Hopefully I will be here when your ass is gone. Once a Quip always a Quip. Once a Steeler fan always a Steeler fan.

As a fellow old fart, I agree with you. I'll give ArtII some rope and see how he responds. I don't think he is so naive to miss someone who is displaying a smoke and mirror show. For me its a question of whether he has the stones to set things straight. Tomlin will be the HC in 2019 so if anything, at the very least it will be you're #2 option. Thanks again for the Phone # called Diane this morning. :hatsoff:

Mojouw
01-04-2019, 10:49 AM
OK. For those that want to clean house, what players are part of that? I think we have beat the coaching stuff to death and have all retreated to our entrenched corners. But look at the roster and where do you think the "toxic" is coming from?

So there is Bell and AB. Who else can we pin the label "toxic" on? Sure we can paint some guys as underperforming or not very good, but who else is it that is dragging dozens of otherwise solid NFL players down into the depths of knuckleheadism that seems to be so bemoaned around here?

DesertSteel
01-04-2019, 02:07 PM
Art needs to ask himself is he okay with just having a winning team full of drama and questionable coaching, or is it time to clean house and try to win another championship with Ben's 2-4 more prime years.
That is the question that AR2 needs to look himself in the mirror and ask himself.

- - - Updated - - -

OK. For those that want to clean house, what players are part of that? I think we have beat the coaching stuff to death and have all retreated to our entrenched corners. But look at the roster and where do you think the "toxic" is coming from?

So there is Bell and AB. Who else can we pin the label "toxic" on? Sure we can paint some guys as underperforming or not very good, but who else is it that is dragging dozens of otherwise solid NFL players down into the depths of knuckleheadism that seems to be so bemoaned around here?
I think you'd have to change coaches to see if the underperformance was player related or insufficient coaching. I'd clean house with the coaching staff and give it a year of doing nothing more than trying to plug holes at ILB and CB. I'd also try to repair the relationship with AB.

Michael
01-04-2019, 06:02 PM
Many years ago, when Marlon McCree fumbles away a playoff game for the Chargers, my buddy called Dean Spanos.

“Dean... it’s Ryan... yea, the one wearing the Sproles jersey; you probably saw me in the crowd. Anyway, I was calling to say...”

SUMMATION:
You, my friend, can hang out with me ANY time.

T. Considering the quality of your posts evidencing the quality of your character I thank you very much for your reply.

Hanging out with you, Michael,

PS Lets keep this boat moving forward TOGETHER and we will get through this rough water ahead. There are a great bunch of smart & decent fans representing Steeler Nation on this blog.

NCSteeler
01-04-2019, 06:16 PM
Tomlin could have started by suspending LeBlount instead of giving him what he wanted when he threw his tantrum. That would have been a good start. He has continued to mismanage big egos and bug personalities.

And I'd tell Ben no more weekly radio BS he's not above the team either. You want to criticize you do it face to face in private

But coming from ex military, leadership is almost undefinable and certainly unmeasurable BUT ya know it when you see it. If you are personally involved. Very hard to tell crap about it from the outside Unless your troop turns I to a shit show ala our current situation

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

pczach
01-04-2019, 07:16 PM
Tomlin could have started by suspending LeBlount instead of giving him what he wanted when he threw his tantrum. That would have been a good start. He has continued to mismanage big egos and bug personalities.

And I'd tell Ben no more weekly radio BS he's not above the team either. You want to criticize you do it face to face in private

But coming from ex military, leadership is almost undefinable and certainly unmeasurable BUT ya know it when you see it. If you are personally involved. Very hard to tell crap about it from the outside Unless your troop turns I to a shit show ala our current situation

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

People naturally gravitate to leadership. As you say, it is hard to quantify but you know it when you are in its presence.