PDA

View Full Version : Steelers practice squad getting poached

Dwinsgames
01-02-2019, 06:49 PM
UDFA Linebacker Thomas is swept away by the Ratbirds

pczach
01-02-2019, 07:36 PM
UDFA Linebacker Thomas is swept away by the Ratbirds

I really can't believe they let that kid get away after the way he flashed in preseason and the physical tools he has. WTF??

Born2Steel
01-02-2019, 07:37 PM
Merge?

GBMelBlount
01-02-2019, 07:56 PM
I really can't believe they let that kid get away after the way he flashed in preseason and the physical tools he has. WTF??

At least one team is working on improving this offseason. Thankfully we are all set at linebacker...not

Fire Goodell
01-02-2019, 11:49 PM
Something must have happened. First the coaching staff talked this guy up big time and then silence. Maybe he didn't have the tools upstairs to grasp the defense or something. When they kept putting fort in the game I was wondering what happened to Thomas

tube517
01-03-2019, 08:06 AM
So, how does practice squad work at the end of the season? Are they still on the PS when season ends?

Were the Steelers too slow in signing Thomas to a futures contract? Could they have signed him or did the Ratbirds beat the Steelers to the punch?

- - - Updated - - -

Something must have happened. First the coaching staff talked this guy up big time and then silence. Maybe he didn't have the tools upstairs to grasp the defense or something. When they kept putting fort in the game I was wondering what happened to Thomas

Remember this is the coaching staff that signed Sean Spence off the couch and started him over LJ Fort in 2017.

Hawkman
01-03-2019, 08:35 AM
So, how does practice squad work at the end of the season? Are they still on the PS when season ends?

Were the Steelers too slow in signing Thomas to a futures contract? Could they have signed him or did the Ratbirds beat the Steelers to the punch?

- - - Updated - - -

Remember this is the coaching staff that signed Sean Spence off the couch and started him over LJ Fort in 2017.

I thought Fort was hurt.

Dwinsgames
01-03-2019, 08:42 AM
I thought Fort was hurt.

no cause Fort got snaps too but predominantly was Spence at least thats what I recall /shrug getting old sucks

AtlantaDan
01-03-2019, 09:55 AM

Steelers were willing to release Thomas and risk him not clearing waivers then when they activated Adeniyi in early December. For whatever reason the Steelers did not seem that interested in keeping him after he showed some promise in preseason and Thomas reciprocated by apparently figuring he had a better shot elsewhere.

86WARD
01-03-2019, 10:00 AM
Maybe Thomas just isn’t that good.

Mojouw
01-03-2019, 10:02 AM
I think the most reasonable assumption is that the kid doesn't know the defense. With the problems at ILB this year and SS, there was a clear path to playing time and Thomas couldn't/didn't make it. If it isn't physical issues, it is usually mental ones. The knock on the kid coming out was that he was extremely poor at the mental stuff. That doesn't make him unique, but likely explains a physically gifted kid who bounces around PS for a couple of years.

Who knows, signs with the Ravens and maybe he becomes a force at LB. Doubt it. But stranger things have happened.

teegre
01-03-2019, 10:06 AM

The playoff teams regularly poach players of of non-playoff teams’s practhce squads at this time of the season.

During the regular season, Thomas would have to have gone into the Ravens’ active 53-man roster (you cannot make a lateral move and put him on your practice squad). But, for the playoffs... I’m not certain if that rule still applies (I’m assuming that it still would).

Mojouw
01-03-2019, 10:10 AM
The playoff teams regularly poach players of of non-playoff teams’s practhce squads at this time of the season.

During the regular season, Thomas would have to have gone into the Ravens’ active 53-man roster (you cannot make a lateral move and put him on your practice squad). But, for the playoffs... I’m not certain if that rule still applies (I’m assuming that it still would).

At the close of the regular season, you can sign your practice squad guys to reserve/futures contracts. The Steelers did that with every member of their PS except Thomas. Thomas is then free to sign a reserve/futures contract with any other NFL team.

The Ravens didn't poach him, the Steelers didn't want him or he didn't want the Steelers.

teegre
01-03-2019, 10:16 AM
At the close of the regular season, you can sign your practice squad guys to reserve/futures contracts. The Steelers did that with every member of their PS except Thomas. Thomas is then free to sign a reserve/futures contract with any other NFL team.

The Ravens didn't poach him, the Steelers didn't want him or he didn't want the Steelers.

Oh... very interesting.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-03-2019, 10:47 AM

So he wasn't poached like the great Josh Mauro was.

Steelers fans will have to find another UDFA practice squadder to wring their hands about possibly losing. Please tell me they didn't leave Trey Griffey unprotected. :sarcasm2:

Dwinsgames
01-03-2019, 10:50 AM
So he wasn't poached like the great Josh Mauro was.

Steelers fans will have to find another UDFA practice squadder to wring their hands about possibly losing. Please tell me they didn't leave Trey Griffey unprotected. :sarcasm2:

Josh is a good football player , he may not be a Cam Heyward but he is still a good player ... good enough to still be making a living playing this game ( and starting quite a few )

86WARD
01-03-2019, 11:06 AM
I think the most reasonable assumption is that the kid doesn't know the defense. With the problems at ILB this year and SS, there was a clear path to playing time and Thomas couldn't/didn't make it. If it isn't physical issues, it is usually mental ones. The knock on the kid coming out was that he was extremely poor at the mental stuff. That doesn't make him unique, but likely explains a physically gifted kid who bounces around PS for a couple of years.

Who knows, signs with the Ravens and maybe he becomes a force at LB. Doubt it. But stranger things have happened.

How many times did Harrison get passed back and forth from the Steelers to the Ravens to the Steelers and eventually he was a stud. You never know.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-03-2019, 11:11 AM
Josh is a good football player , he may not be a Cam Heyward but he is still a good player ... good enough to still be making a living playing this game ( and starting quite a few )

Oh,I know. Mauro had a good preseason and in a time where the Steelers needed Cam Thomas on their D Line, I think Mauro could have helped. I was all for cutting the 6th WR or CB like BW Webb to keep Mauro on the 53. He isn't any better than Tuitt, Heyward, Alualu, Hargrave, Walton at this point.

Still nothing like Steeler fans getting wound up about the 55th best player on the roster, the 3rd best QB in camp or the 5th best ILB on the team. Those guys are the key to Super Bowl.

GoSlash27
01-03-2019, 12:01 PM
Herb Waters is still safe, I hope? :D

st33lersguy
01-03-2019, 03:55 PM
This is why you dont leave someone who shows potential on the practice squad. Sadly this is just one minor example of how poorly run this team has become

Mojouw
01-03-2019, 04:08 PM
This is why you dont leave someone who shows potential on the practice squad. Sadly this is just one minor example of how poorly run this team has become

This is incorrect, I believe. I am far too lazy to look up the dates, but the Steelers announced the signed everyone on the PS EXCEPT Thomas to reserve/futures contracts at least one day before Thomas signed with the Ravens. In other words, either the Steelers or Thomas decided to terminate the relationship. Only after that decision took place did the Ravens enter into the process. Now -- there may have been informal and lightly tampering discussion through the players agent, but again the Steelers chose to not attempt to sign the guy OR the player chose to reject the contract (we don't have details) and THEN the Ravens contract was completed.

I think the better question is whether anyone trusts that the current powers that be have properly evaluated the contributions Thomas has made and could make in the future.

I should also be very very clear -- I am simply going on the reported information as I saw it come across my eyeballs on the internet while I was on vacation. I could have gotten things out of order or incorrectly understood the reporting I did see. What I am basing this off of is that on the 1st it was reported that the PS was signed + Bucky Hodges and that Thomas was not signed. It was then reported after the close of business on the 2nd that Thomas was a Raven. So, again, what the heck do I really know? But this team has enough actual points of contention that there is little need to invent more.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-03-2019, 04:39 PM
I dont know why so many people here get all excited about Thomas. Steelers had to create a sub package just for him in preseason to get some tackles on a bunch of other NFL practice squad guys.

Below is his draft summary from Lance Zeirline. Basically says, good athlete, not a productive football player.

Thomas is lacking in many of the areas teams covet in linebacker play. His instincts are poor, he doesn't always play with a competitive demeanor, he's not a downhill player and he lacks play strength and productivity for the position. However, Thomas does possess a long frame with outstanding play speed and the potential to make plays. It's his athletic traits and "potential" that will give him a shot as a WILL linebacker who will need to excel on special teams to stick with a team long-term. https://www.nfl.com/prospects/matthew-thomas?id=32462018-0002-5598-86e2-43ff05f442ff