PDA

View Full Version : Plenty of former NFL coaches aren’t drawing interest, yet

Shoes
01-01-2019, 10:55 PM
Think any of these guys would make a good DC in Pittsburgh?

Someone like Wade Phillips probably wouldn't want to make a lateral move.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/01/plenty-of-former-nfl-coaches-arent-drawing-interest-yet/ (https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/01/plenty-of-former-nfl-coaches-arent-drawing-interest-yet/)

Jeff Fisher (60): The former Oilers/Titans and Rams coach has a career record of 178-171-1, including a Super Bowl appearance and six postseason berths.
Jim Mora (57): The former Falcons and Seahawks coach has a 32-34 record in the NFL, and a 46-30 record at UCLA. He took the Falcons to the NFC title game in 2004.
Mike Mularkey (57): The former Bills, Jaguars, and Titans coach has a career record of 37-54. He took the Titans to the final eight last year.
Jim Schwartz (52): The former Lions head coach generated a 29-52 record in Detroit, taking over after the 0-16 disaster of 2008. He lead the Lions to a playoff berth, and he has coordinated the Philadelphia defense for the last three seasons.
Rex Ryan (56): The former Jets and Bills coach has a 65-68 career record; he’s 4-2 in the postseason with a pair of AFC title game appearances.
Mike Pettine (52): The Packers defensive coordinator was 10-22 in two seasons as Browns coach.
Rob Chudzinski (50): The one-and-done Browns coach won four of 16 games in his only season.
Joe Philbin (57): The Packers interim head coach was 26-30 in three-plus seasons with the Dolphins.
Gus Bradley (52): The former Jaguars coach, now the Chargers defensive coordinator, went 14-48 in nearly four seasons in Jacksonville.
Ken Whisenhunt (56): The former Cardinals and Titans coach has a career record of 52-73, including two playoff berths and a Super Bowl appearance. He’s now the Chargers offensive coordinator.
Ben McAdoo (41): The former Giants coach took the team to the playoffs in his first year, but he was fired late in his second season. He went 13-16.
Jack Del Rio (55): The former Jaguars and Raiders coach went 94-97 with three playoff appearances.
Brad Childress (62): The former Vikings coach, 40-37 during his time in Minnesota, was fired during the 2010 season and never seriously considered for another head-coaching job in the NFL. He had two playoff appearances and a berth in the 2009 NFC title game. He’s currently the coach of the AAF’s Atlanta Legends.
Lovie Smith (60): The former Bears and Buccaneers coach went 89-87 in the NFL, taking the Bears to Super Bowl XLI. He has had three disastrous seasons at Illinois, winning nine and losing 27.
Leslie Frazier (59): The former Vikings coach went 21-33-1, with one playoff berth. He currently serves as the Bills defensive coordinator.
Dirk Koetter (59): The former Bucs coach was fired after completing his third season, winning 19 of 48 games.
Todd Haley (51): The former Chiefs coach went 19-27 in nearly three seasons, with one playoff berth. He served as the Steelers offensive coordinator for six seasons before joining the Browns in that same capacity, getting fired early in his first season.
Rod Marinelli (69): The former Lions coach had a record of 10-38, including 0-16 in 2008. He currently serves as the Cowboys defensive coordinator, and he never has been linked to another head-coaching job.
Marc Trestman (62): He went 13-19 in two years with the Bears; he was fired by the Toronto Argonauts a year after winning the Grey Cup.
Greg Schiano (52): The former Buccaneers coach went 11-21 in two seasons. He currently serves as the defensive coordinator at Ohio State.
Eric Mangini (47): The former Jets and Browns coach went 33-48 in the NFL. He has been out of coaching since 2015, after a three-year stint with the 49ers as an assistant.
Jim Tomsula (50): The former 49ers coach had one full year on the job, going 5-11. He’s the defensive line coach in Washington.
Chip Kelly (55): The former Eagles and 49ers coach won 28 and lost 35, with one playoff appearance.
John Fox (63): Fox, now an ESPN analyst, racked up a record of 141-130 with the Panthers, Broncos, and Bears, making it to seven postseasons, with two Super Bowls.
Mike McCoy (46): The former Chargers coach went 28-38 with a playoff berth.
Norv Turner (66): The former Washington, Raiders, and Chargers coach went 118-126-1, with four playoff berths.
Steve Spagnuolo (59): The former Rams coach lasted 52 games, winning 11. He’s currently out of football.
Tom Cable (54): The former Raiders coach went 17-27. After seven years as the offensive line coach in Seattle, he was fired. In 2018, Cable returned to Oakland in that same role.
Mike Smith (59): The former Falcons coach went 67-50 with four playoff appearances and an NFC title game loss. He was fired during the 2018 season as defensive coordinator in Tampa.
Wade Phillips (71): The former Broncos, Bills, and Cowboys coach went 83-69 with five playoff appearances. He coordinated the Broncos’ championship defense in 2015, and he has spent the last two years running the Rams’ defense.
Dennis Allen (46): The former Raiders coach went 8-28. He has served as the Saints defensive coordinator since 2015.
Herm Edwards (64): The former Jets and Chiefs coach went 56-78 with four playoff appearances. He left broadcasting to become the head coach at Arizona State in 2018.

fansince'76
01-01-2019, 11:00 PM
Spagnuolo as DC would be intriguing. I didn't realize Wade Phillips is 71.

Shoes
01-01-2019, 11:05 PM

He's getting up there. Could get Rex Ryan to coach in his bare feet. :chuckle:

Shoes
01-01-2019, 11:13 PM
How about John Fox? I really hope they can get a young sharp guy, I liked Josh Conklin out of Pitt but I think he has a HC job at some college now

Lady Steel
01-01-2019, 11:54 PM
He's getting up there. Could get Rex Ryan to coach in his bare feet. :chuckle:

A lil birdie told me he really likes your feet. *wink wink* :lol:

pepsyman1
01-02-2019, 01:39 AM
Del Rio can run a defense. He'd be an improvement.

86WARD
01-02-2019, 04:30 AM
There’s a lot of guys on that list that would be an upgrade over Keith Butler. The fact that both Butler and Smith are still employed leaves me unsettled. This team will suffer it’s first “losing season” under Tomlin in 2019 if the coaching staff stays as is...

Michael
01-02-2019, 07:26 AM
I have always like Herm Edwards. I like to believe that he is a straight shooter. He is alert. Two characteristics Tomlin doesn't possess.

Dwinsgames
01-02-2019, 08:20 AM
3/4 of that list should not even be on " that list " ....

its like saying Cassy Stengel isnt on the latest MLB coaching candidates list

tube517
01-02-2019, 08:41 AM

Me too.

I didn't realize Wade was an assistant w/the Oilers in the Earl Campbell era. I know he's Bum's son but I didn't really pay attention to Wade's name until the late 80s w/Denver.

Mojouw
01-02-2019, 09:37 AM
That list is a recipe for old ideas that the 2019 and forward NFL will chew up and spit out.

Adapt or die. Hiring one of those dated retreads for anything is the same as just keeping Butler and Tomlin.

McCarthy is the best name on the list and he tends to run out of play calls by the 4th quarter. Seriously, the Pack runs the same stuff 2-4 times a game.

Shoes
01-02-2019, 09:45 AM
That list is a recipe for old ideas that the 2019 and forward NFL will chew up and spit out.

Adapt or die. Hiring one of those dated retreads for anything is the same as just keeping Butler and Tomlin.

McCarthy is the best name on the list and he tends to run out of play calls by the 4th quarter. Seriously, the Pack runs the same stuff 2-4 times a game.

Thats about how I feel. Id really like to get a sharp young guy from college. It wouldn't surprise me if Butler is still here in 2019

Born2Steel
01-02-2019, 09:51 AM
I want HC Urban Meyer, DC Greg Schiano, and OC Hugh Freeze. Was gonna put Bobby Patrino but couldn’t even in jest. All players are to be choir boys and team first and only guys though. I do not want to win games if the players are out there jaywalking like they own the street.