PDA

View Full Version : Can We Just Have A Draft Thread?!

DesertSteel
01-01-2019, 11:42 AM
Seriously... AB, Fire Tomlin, Fire Butler, Where is Bell going...

The bottom line is that the only thing that is going to change positively for the Steelers in 2019 is going to come through the draft.

What are our realistic options at #20 in the areas of need (CB, ILB)? Where else will we improve with 2nd and 3rd day selections?

tube517
01-01-2019, 11:54 AM
http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/29321-First-look-at-2019-draft

Shoes
01-01-2019, 12:02 PM
I think they have to go D R1, R2 or R1, R3 (I'd be happy if they could sneak a TE in there :chuckle: ) but the position is anyone's guess BPA. So much can happen with possible trades and pick-ups. It will be interesting to see how things pan out with Dobbs and Mason, but my gut tells me Mason will be the #2 QB next season and I think that is a good thing. I think the first order of business though is secure Munch's position in Pittsburgh, it would not be a good thing to lose him. Gary had a good idea, offer him an assistant HC and more money and hope he takes it.

DesertSteel
01-01-2019, 12:12 PM
So much of the player rankings fluctuate from now till the draft. Maybe they trade up this year.

Bluecoat96
01-01-2019, 12:18 PM
Being a complete Michigan Homer, I say go with Devin Bush at #20. He'd certainly help fill a need at ILB....unless you guys think he could be had later in the draft.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

st33lersguy
01-01-2019, 12:21 PM
Let me guess: Defensive player, highly athletic, can't actually play the game. That's been their MO in round 1 as of late (save for TJ Watt). I think they should trade up for a more dynamic and more polished player.

Shoes
01-01-2019, 12:32 PM
Previous R1 picks.

Dupree - Not playing up to a R1 pick, I wouldn't hesitate in trying to draft a better player but they will probably keep him.
Burnt Burns- Shit can special
Watt- Absolute jackpot
Edmunds- Probably will pan out

BlackAndGold
01-01-2019, 12:42 PM
Being a complete Michigan Homer, I say go with Devin Bush at #20. He'd certainly help fill a need at ILB....unless you guys think he could be had later in the draft.

At the moment I have him circled as a likely candidate. Great career, underclassman/20 years old, plays in the BIG 10.

He may lack height at 5'11" but he's built, has has great sideline to sideline speed, explosive athlete, won Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year/Big Ten Linebacker of the Year.

Born2Steel
01-01-2019, 12:42 PM
First round either Will Grier or Drew Lock. Must have the heir apparent to Ben. They will get their shot but I am not sold on Dobbs or Rudolph.

Second round CB/SS. Must be athletic enough to play man, smart enough to play zone, and must tackle well.

Third round RB/WR/TE. BPA. A playmaker that can be quality run/pass depth as a rookie and move into a solid role player in year 2. I want to go ILB but what we need is a sideline to sideline guy. If there was a chance for that I gave it up to get my QB.

Still too early for me to have strong opinions about when, who, and in what order.

DesertSteel
01-01-2019, 12:43 PM
Burns needs outright cut. He’s a waste of a roster space that some rookie UFA could better fill.

Shoes
01-01-2019, 12:44 PM
At the moment I have him circled as a likely candidate. Successful underclassman, 20 years old, plays in the BIG 10.

He may lack height at 5'11" but he's built, has has great sideline to sideline speed, explosive athlete, won Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year/Big Ten Linebacker of the Year.

Alrighty then, B&G how about a TE? :chuckle:

DesertSteel
01-01-2019, 12:45 PM
First round either Will Grier or Drew Lock. Must have the heir apparent to Ben. They will get their shot but I am not sold on Dobbs or Rudolph.

Second round CB/SS. Must be athletic enough to play man, smart enough to play zone, and must tackle well.

Third round RB/WR/TE. BPA. A playmaker that can be quality run/pass depth as a rookie and move into a solid role player in year 2. I want to go ILB but what we need is a sideline to sideline guy. If there was a chance for that I gave it up to get my QB.

Still too early for me to have strong opinions about when, who, and in what order.
Kind of surprising to hear QB. I think Rudolph has the potential for the job. I just don’t see any of this year’s QBs even being worth a 1R pick.

BlackAndGold
01-01-2019, 12:49 PM
Alrighty then, B&G how about a TE? :chuckle:

I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed Shoes.

Vance had a good year, JJ probably re-signs. Possible for a later round selection.

st33lersguy
01-01-2019, 12:49 PM

Is he a team leader? A positive locker room presence? If yes to both, I would be on board. Those are probably the team's biggest needs

BlackAndGold
01-01-2019, 12:53 PM
Rudolph at this moment is the next QB after Ben. Of course we'll see if he can be next season as he should be show progression.

Remember, the Steelers were extremely high on Rudolph during the draft process, they almost seemed like stalkers when it came to him lol.

Dwinsgames
01-01-2019, 12:56 PM
Devin is right ..... but White .... Devin White ......

hands down the best all around linebacker in this class and it really is not all that close ....

BlackAndGold
01-01-2019, 01:02 PM
In terms of corner backs it's Bryon Murphy for me from Washington. Questions about his long speed and height but he's so smooth and has great technique which Imo cancels out speed/height complaints.

Shoes
01-01-2019, 01:05 PM
I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed Shoes.

Vance had a good year, JJ probably re-signs. Possible for a later round selection.

Probably so. But I don't have my hopes so high anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Rudolph at this moment is the next QB after Ben. Of course we'll see if he can be next season as he should be show progression.

Remember, the Steelers were extremely high on Rudolph during the draft process, they almost seemed like stalkers when it came to him lol.
Agreed, that pic of Tomlin & Rudolph cracked me up. :chuckle:

BlackAndGold
01-01-2019, 01:06 PM
in terms of OLB. Please just sign one via free agency, Shaq Barrett??

BlackAndGold
01-01-2019, 01:17 PM
Probably so. But I don't have my hopes so high anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed, that pic of Tomlin & Rudolph cracked me up. :chuckle:

https://i.redd.it/aycty2hlbku01.jpg

Shoes
01-01-2019, 01:19 PM
https://i.redd.it/aycty2hlbku01.jpg

Yep... love this pic, another classic! :chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-01-2019, 01:26 PM

I saw a mock that had him to the Steelers earlier in the year. As said before his tackling and speed are a plus, while his lack of height makes him a liability in pass coverage as just about everybody will throw over him down the seam to a TE. I still think he ends up at the 20-32 range in the draft.

Bluecoat96
01-01-2019, 01:37 PM
Is he a team leader? A positive locker room presence? If yes to both, I would be on board. Those are probably the team's biggest needsI would say yes to all of that, plus he has an NFL bloodline in his dad.

Shoes
01-01-2019, 01:59 PM
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/12/31/18154606/2019-nfl-mock-draft-steelers-add-defensive-playmakers-in-2-round-mock-draft-cornerback-linebacker

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-01-2019, 02:13 PM
Kind of surprising to hear QB. I think Rudolph has the potential for the job. I just don’t see any of this year’s QBs even being worth a 1R pick.

Yeah, when Ok State played WVU last year in Morgantown, I thought that Rudolph looked like the better QB than Grier, so I really am not that interested on spending a pick on Grier or even thinking that he is a 1st round pick.

teegre
01-01-2019, 02:55 PM
Devin is right ..... but White .... Devin White ......

hands down the best all around linebacker in this class and it really is not all that close ....

Realistically, what are the odds White drops to 20?

Trading our R2 pick would get us up to 11...

Born2Steel
01-01-2019, 02:59 PM
Guys I have as 1st round worthy:

There are 5-6 DE/EDGE that would be instant plug and play guys that would be great 1st round picks. Of course there are since that is one position of strength for us. Montez Sweat played more of a DE role at Miss State but has been projected as a 3-4 pass rush OLB. So far he is my favorite edge for round 1. Josh Allen could be a mirror image of TJ Watt and is intriguing as well. Bosa will not be there.

Outside of Baker from Georgia there aren't any CBs I would pursue in the 1st round. I still think getting a CB in FA is the way to go.

Dwins' favorite Devin White is getting all the comparisons, Ray Lewis or Jonathan Vilma. He's one of those, 'no way he'll be there' guys. But if he should fall on draft day.....YES! Mack Wilson was in the running but he is smaller than I realized at first. More of that ILB/Safety hybrid type player.

Deionte Thompson is my 'dark horse' pick for the Steelers. A true FS with size, speed, and high football IQ. Not really a need but may be BPA.

I think a QB is always an option depending on who falls. Drew Lock, Will Grier, or Ryan Finley would be my favorites.

Dwinsgames
01-01-2019, 03:10 PM

odds are not favorable , however stranger things have happened .....

maybe we make some moves ?

maybe we ship AB on draft day for a top 15 pick and add a 3rd and move up to take him ?

who knows really ...

But AB is trade able even with the huge dead money hit when you consider ... 14.5 million of Bells money is back in the fold , 8 million saved for a player who never had a chance to play in 2018 ( Shazier ) that is more than ABs dead money and if you can acquire draft picks you are almost at a wash cost wise and have younger cheaper contracts moving forward ..... just can not piss away the selections they have to count .....

st33lersguy
01-01-2019, 03:48 PM
The 3 most pressing needs on the team right now in no particular order

OLB: They need a solid pass rusher opposite TJ Watt, and depth is sorely needed.

ILB: The loss of Shazier was felt this year. They need a dynamic playmaker, someone more than a 2-down run stuffer that can't cover.

CB: It's Haden, Hilton in the slot, then total crap

Born2Steel
01-01-2019, 04:21 PM
From one of those mock sites

1:19
Josh Allen
LB
Kentucky

2:19
Devin Bush
LB
Michigan

3:19
A.J. Brown
WR
Mississippi

4:19
Michael Jackson
CB
Miami (FL)

6:2
Nate Herbig
G
Stanford

6:19
Benny Snell Jr.
RB
Kentucky

7:5
Hunter Renfrow
WR
Clemson

hawaiiansteeler
01-01-2019, 04:27 PM
From one of those mock sites

1:19
Josh Allen
LB
Kentucky

2:19
Devin Bush
LB
Michigan

3:19
A.J. Brown
WR
Mississippi

4:19
Michael Jackson
CB
Miami (FL)

6:2
Nate Herbig
G
Stanford

6:19
Benny Snell Jr.
RB
Kentucky

7:5
Hunter Renfrow
WR
Clemson

Benny Snell looked good today against Penn St

FrancoLambert
01-01-2019, 04:32 PM
At the moment I have him circled as a likely candidate. Great career, underclassman/20 years old, plays in the BIG 10.

I think 5’ 11” ILB’s have a tough time with the size of today’s average O-linemen.
They’re been some great ones, but not many lately.

College, ok. NFL a different story.
The way you describe him reminds me of Jabrill Peppers.

:noidea:

cubanstogie
01-01-2019, 08:19 PM
Benny Snell looked good today against Penn St
He did, I don't know about another LB from Kentucky though with the first pick.

- - - Updated - - -

White is like Roquan last year. I would love to have him but doubt he makes it to us.

BlackAndGold
01-01-2019, 08:28 PM
I think 5’ 11” ILB’s have a tough time with the size of today’s average O-linemen.
They’re been some great ones, but not many lately.

College, ok. NFL a different story.
The way you describe him reminds me of Jabrill Peppers.

:noidea:

It's a question mark but he plays big/strong also big at a listed 240lb. One of the best ILB's in Bobby Wagner is barley 6'0". Bush is one hell of a football player with great instincts. I won't shy away from him at #20.

Peppers was just an athlete without a legit position, he wasn't as good as Bush, whom produced and was a leader on a great defense.

- - - Updated - - -

He did, I don't know about another LB from Kentucky though with the first pick.

Josh Allen will be a top 5 pick more than likely.

st33lersguy
01-02-2019, 07:34 PM
With the recent developments surrounding AB, it is highly likely that he will not be returning to the team. With AB likely gone the steelers will no doubt use a round 1 or round 2 on a WR to appease Ben and with AB gone the team will be thin at the position with Juju and unknowns and backups at the position

Born2Steel
01-02-2019, 07:36 PM
With the recent developments surrounding AB, it is highly likely that he will not be returning to the team. With AB likely gone the steelers will no doubt use a round 1 or round 2 on a WR to appease Ben and with AB gone the team will be thin at the position with Juju and unknowns and backups at the position

There are more than a few capable WRs in this draft. Care to speculate or list some favorites or anything along those lines?

teegre
01-02-2019, 07:37 PM

Hakeem Butler, WR, Iowa St.

st33lersguy
01-02-2019, 07:38 PM
WR rankings

http://walterfootball.com/draft2019WR.php

Born2Steel
01-02-2019, 07:39 PM
What are the thoughts on the Clemson kid Renfrow? I think his nickname is '3rd and Renfrow' because he's been like automatic on 3rd downs.

teegre
01-02-2019, 07:41 PM
The second-best WR in this draft, I have to take off of my list...

Hollywood Brown

Why am I taking him off of the list? His cousin might influence his attitude. Really.

Born2Steel
01-02-2019, 07:42 PM
The second-best WR in this draft, I have to take off of my list...

Hollywood Brown

Why am I taking him off of the list? His cousin might influence his attitude. Really.

Who is that? A.J. Brown from Ole Miss?

teegre
01-02-2019, 07:43 PM
What are the thoughts on the Clemson kid Renfrow? I think his nickname is '3rd and Renfrow' because he's been like automatic on 3rd downs.

As the kids say: 100

He’d be a Day 3 Target, but he’ll be a third-down monster in the NFL for a decade. Along those same lines, David Sills from WVU is a similar “go to” receiver.

st33lersguy
01-02-2019, 07:44 PM
There are more than a few capable WRs in this draft. Care to speculate or list some favorites or anything along those lines?

I've only started giving a cursory look at WR prospects, my main focus until today has been defense. A.J Brown seems to be the top guy but is likely gone at 20. JJ Arcega Whiteside seems like an intriguing prospect, I've seen some Stanford games and he has looked good

teegre
01-02-2019, 07:44 PM
Who is that? A.J. Brown from Ole Miss?

Marquis Brown from Oklahoma

st33lersguy
01-02-2019, 07:47 PM
A lot of the guys in the top 10 outside the top few don't seem to have a lot of speed, more possession based

cubanstogie
01-02-2019, 07:49 PM
Is Ridley coming out ? The dude from Texas last night is a beast.

teegre
01-02-2019, 07:50 PM
A lot of the guys in the top 10 outside the top few don't seem to have a lot of speed, more possession based

True :nod: Hollywood Brown is basically AB (but, only about 80% as good). Everyone else is tall/long.

Hakeem Butler is a human highlight reel. His hands MUST be made from glue.

- - - Updated - - -

Is Ridley coming out ?

2020... with Fromm

GBMelBlount
01-02-2019, 07:51 PM
Guys I have as 1st round worthy:

There are 5-6 DE/EDGE that would be instant plug and play guys that would be great 1st round picks.

Of course there are since that is one position of strength for us. Montez Sweat played more of a DE role at Miss State but has been projected as a 3-4 pass rush OLB. So far he is my favorite edge for round 1. Josh Allen could be a mirror image of TJ Watt and is intriguing as well. Bosa will not be there.

Outside of Baker from Georgia there aren't any CBs I would pursue in the 1st round. I still think getting a CB in FA is the way to go.

Dwins' favorite Devin White is getting all the comparisons, Ray Lewis or Jonathan Vilma. He's one of those, 'no way he'll be there' guys. But if he should fall on draft day.....YES! Mack Wilson was in the running but he is smaller than I realized at first. More of that ILB/Safety hybrid type player.

Deionte Thompson is my 'dark horse' pick for the Steelers. A true FS with size, speed, and high football IQ. Not really a need but may be BPA.

I think a QB is always an option depending on who falls. Drew Lock, Will Grier, or Ryan Finley would be my favorites.

Draft a DE / edge Rusher rounds 1 & 2 and grab a top shelf corner in FA.

Done.

teegre
01-02-2019, 07:57 PM
Draft a DE / edge Rusher rounds 1 & 2 and trade for a top shelf corner.

Done.

Slightly edited

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
01-02-2019, 08:05 PM
Maybe The Steelers could get Larry Fitzgerald for a cheap hometown discount for a 1 or 2 year deal. Then draft a WR in the 3rd or 4th. John Brown being a free agent would be interesting as well and the offense could use a burner.

teegre
01-02-2019, 08:06 PM
Maybe The Steelers could get Larry Fitzgerald for a cheap hometown discount for a 1 or 2 year deal. Then draft a WR in the 3rd or 4th. John Brown being a free agent would be interesting as well and the offense could use a burner.

Fitzgerald as a 3rd/4th option would be a great idea.

Shoes
01-02-2019, 09:39 PM
Tyrann Mathieu is a FA I believe.