PDA

View Full Version : Steelers offensive line is about to undergo some major changes

AtlantaDan
01-01-2019, 09:07 AM
P-G story on how the team that has been together for the recent playoff run inevitably is breaking up

The most change could be coming for the offensive line, which went through an almost unprecedented period of stability in recent years....

The five starters have been together since the middle of the 2015 season. That’s 3½ seasons of five linemen playing together. It’s nearly unheard of in the free-agency era of the NFL.
Left guard Ramon Foster and center Maurkice Pouncey have been playing together since 2010. Right tackle Marcus Gilbert arrived in 2011 and right guard David DeCastro in 2012. The final piece, Alejandro Villanueva, joined the group midway through the 2015 season after Kelvin Beachum was injured.

Foster just played out the final season of a three-year contract....

Gilbert will turn 31 in February. He has one more year remaining on his contract....

The Steelers can save $4.9 million on their 2019 salary cap by releasing Gilbert.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/12/31/mike-munchak-coaching-carousel-steelers-offensive-line/stories/201812310111

IMO Foster is gone, but if Mike Munchak gets a HC job that might save Gilbert (assuming the Steelers do not believe he is broken down without access to PEDs and simply cannot play anymore). Although Feiler played adequately he probably is not regarded as Gilbert's long term replacement and breaking in Okorafor at right tackle along with a new starting left guard under a new OL coach is a lot of change to process simultaneously

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-01-2019, 10:08 AM
Foster is out, so no big deal as Finney or Feiler can play Guard at a similar level IMO. Gilbert is signed thru 2019 and if he can play, the $4.9million isn't that prohibitive IMO. If they think he is not going to recover from injury, Jerald Hawkins, Chukks Okorafor and to a lesser degree Feiler can all compete for his job.

Change was expected, but IMO the Steelers are prepared this time. They aren't prepared at ILB, CB, OLB and TE right now.

steelreserve
01-01-2019, 10:41 AM
Gilbert has essentially been replaced already. We were without him most of the season and the difference was not much. I was kind of worried about this (injuries or drop-off) after the PED thing. Just not worth it anymore if you ask me.

If we think it's important, we can release Gilbert and use some of that money to retain Foster. I wouldn't mind that move as long as the price is not exorbitant. But not super important either ... while he's been solid for many years, the time is rapidly coming when one of the younger guys will have to take over that spot anyway, and those players are already on the roster. If holding on to Foster for a year means we risk losing his replacement, I'd rather just move on.

That was basically a long-winded way of saying we'll be fine at OL, we have starters and backups ready to go. At other positions, we don't even have starters.

Born2Steel
01-02-2019, 07:52 PM
Ramon Foster may be up for signing 2 more years. He said he was putting in his 10 and then getting out. Pouncey says he's leaving when Ben leaves. I would expect that will be the sign for most of the 5 as well. I could see Foster, Pouncey, DeCastro, and Gilbert all retiring when Ben does. AV is the 'Young Pup' of the group as far as time here. But he was a Ranger in his first life and is 30 years old. So, could be all 5 and Ben walking into the sunset together. Hopefully after back to back SB championships.

GBMelBlount
01-02-2019, 07:54 PM
Ramon Foster may be up for signing 2 more years. He said he was putting in his 10 and then getting out. Pouncey says he's leaving when Ben leaves. I would expect that will be the sign for most of the 5 as well. I could see Foster, Pouncey, DeCastro, and Gilbert all retiring when Ben does. AV is the 'Young Pup' of the group as far as time here. But he was a Ranger in his first life and is 30 years old.

So, could be all 5 and Ben walking into the sunset together. Hopefully after back to back SB championships.

THAT would be a story!