PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the Next DC? What would your choice be?

NCSteeler
12-30-2018, 09:21 PM
So many who could we get to replace Tomlin threads but none on Butler who is the most likely to be fired soon, albeit in Rooney fashion slow to develop.

What say you

One of the fired HCs or an up an coming coordinator? Rumor is Bowles may already be u side the beltway.

Steve Wilkes?

IDK, but it should be someone with experience

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Steeldude
12-30-2018, 09:25 PM
Doesn't matter. Tomlin is still the HC. If they do get a new DC then Tomlin should be banned from having any say in the defense. That includes personnel.

Tomlin can be the guy who says whether or not to go for it on 4th down.

teegre
12-30-2018, 09:28 PM
Tomlin supposedly wanted Todd Bowles.

Dwins mention Kris Richard... who seems like a Steelers kind of hire. And, since I feel that the talent is there, a DB coach (especially the one who created the Legion of Boom) is a perfect choice.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-30-2018, 09:42 PM

Dwins mention Kris Richard... who seems like a Steelers kind of hire. And, since I feel that the talent is there, a DB coach (especially the one who created the Legion of Boom) is a perfect choice.

I think Bowles could be a good choice. Good co-ordinator that was an NFL safety and seems to like playing an attacking type of defense. I think he was more of a 4-3 guy is the only point as a transition from base defense could take some time and not sure the personnel on the roster is best suited to 4-3 currently.

Shoes
12-30-2018, 09:44 PM
I'll be in shock if there is any change.

NCSteeler
12-30-2018, 10:00 PM
So I guess another question is, is it time to go to amore 4-3 base ? I'm not big on scheme's and figuring out coverages and what not I purely watch he games for fun and never re watch tape. So I'm leaning on the expertise here. What do you think. Go to what Tomlin knows best, what won us 4 Superbowls and possibly pick up a guy like bowles or wilkes or Richards that know that system well

teegre
12-30-2018, 10:12 PM
So I guess another question is, is it time to go to amore 4-3 base ? I'm not big on scheme's and figuring out coverages and what not I purely watch he games for fun and never re watch tape. So I'm leaning on the expertise here. What do you think. Go to what Tomlin knows best, what won us 4 Superbowls and possibly pick up a guy like bowles or wilkes or Richards that know that system well

Technically, Tomlin is a 4-3 guy. He inherited LeBeau & LeBeau lite (and their 3-4). I personally like the 3-4, but would be perfectly fine with going to a 4-3.

st33lersguy
12-30-2018, 10:13 PM
Jim Leonard DC Wisconsin, already mentioned multiple times
Dave Aranda DC LSU has a good track record of defense, particularly defensive backs.

Kris Richard would be a bad choice for DC. Seahawks fired him as DC at the end of last season. He is only good a defensive backs coach

NCSteeler
12-30-2018, 10:16 PM
Technically, Tomlin is a 4-3 guy. He inherited LeBeau & LeBeau lite (and their 3-4). I personally like the 3-4, but would be perfectly fine with going to a 4-3.I would think it would make it easier to evaluate talent and draft players that fit. Would need at least one lineman to fill out the rotation. Would Dupree be better as an OLB in 43

teegre
12-30-2018, 10:18 PM
I would think it would make it easier to evaluate talent and draft players that fit. Would need at least one lineman to fill out the rotation. Would Dupree be better as an OLB in 43

I have felt that Dupree would be a very good ILB... but, better yet, a 4-3 OLB. :nod:

Oh... and this is “THE” draft to get a D-lineman.

NCSteeler
12-30-2018, 10:18 PM
I just hope they go out and get the best person. One of tomlin's big faults is his loyalty and ties to past relationships. Sometimes you gotta go get the best and not your buddy . He's like that with players too.

teegre
12-30-2018, 10:21 PM
I just hope they go out and get the best person. One of tomlin's big faults is his loyalty and ties to past relationships. Sometimes you gotta follow get the best not your buddy . He's like that with players too.

Tomlin waa forced to keep LeBeau, as well as promoting Butler. I think that the end-of-season meeting goes like this:..

ARTII: You have one season to win a championship.

TOMLIN: Fine... stop handcuffing me, and let me pick my DC.

ARTII: Done.

Fire Goodell
12-30-2018, 10:38 PM
Anybody who will cover a #1 WR with our #1 CB and not our #2 OLB

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-30-2018, 11:41 PM
I have felt that Dupree would be a very good ILB... but, better yet, a 4-3 OLB. :nod:

Oh... and this is “THE” draft to get a D-lineman.

I will disagree. A 265 lb LB like Dupree doesn't fit in the 4-3 scheme. Vince Williams would be a MLB or Strong side SAM, while somebody smaller and faster would be suited to the WILL. Moving to a 4-3 makes guys like Watt and Dupree tough to fit in the system, as undersized 4-3DE's generally make good 3-4 OLB.

The good thing is Tuitt and Heyward are good 3 techniques for a 4-3. I think switching to a 4-3 would be more of an overhaul that would need 2 DE's and an OLB suited to the scheme, as well as finding another competent CB.

pczach
12-31-2018, 05:50 AM
I will disagree. A 265 lb LB like Dupree doesn't fit in the 4-3 scheme. Vince Williams would be a MLB or Strong side SAM, while somebody smaller and faster would be suited to the WILL. Moving to a 4-3 makes guys like Watt and Dupree tough to fit in the system, as undersized 4-3DE's generally make good 3-4 OLB.

The good thing is Tuitt and Heyward are good 3 techniques for a 4-3. I think switching to a 4-3 would be more of an overhaul that would need 2 DE's and an OLB suited to the scheme, as well as finding another competent CB.

I agree. I also think Hargrave would fit nicely inside in a 4-3. The problem is, they need DE's and what do they do with Watt?

Bowles is a very good DC IMO. I just don't know that the organization would do it if they fear a big transformation needs to occur when they want to win right now.

They already run some 4-3, but it is still much different from a personnel standpoint to run that scheme full time.

Dwinsgames
12-31-2018, 08:16 AM

Richard for me is a HC candidate .....

Bowles is a really good choice at DC he is comfortable in a 3-4 and a 4-3 and would add more defensive diversity in our fronts

teegre
12-31-2018, 09:39 AM
Gregg Williams!!!

The Browns are supposedly going after Mike McCarthy, which means Williams would be available.

86WARD
12-31-2018, 09:51 AM
Gregg Williams!!!

The Browns are supposedly going after Mike McCarthy, which means Williams would be available.

Second. Motion to vote...

DesertSteel
12-31-2018, 09:53 AM
With the 6th ranked Defense, the new DC will be.......................... Keith Butler!!!

pczach
12-31-2018, 10:04 AM
Gregg Williams!!!

He's great at what he does......except stopping the Ravens' running game. :chuckle:

He's super aggressive, and his defenses have been effective and they get turnovers.

Will the Steelers overlook his "Bountygate", and the audio of his talk to his defense telling them to "affect the head"? He preached going for the head of opposing players. I know that was a different time in the game with different rules, but I wonder if this would turn off the organization?

- - - Updated - - -

With the 6th ranked Defense, the new DC will be.......................... Keith Butler!!!

All we need now are two athletic freaks at ILB that can cover the opposing team's #1 WR and we're set!!!!

tube517
12-31-2018, 10:04 AM
Doesn't matter. Tomlin is still the HC. If they do get a new DC then Tomlin should be banned from having any say in the defense. That includes personnel.

Tomlin can be the guy who says whether or not to go for it on 4th down.

Tomlin also needs to stay away from the replay decisions. He hasn't won one since 2016.

DesertSteel
12-31-2018, 10:07 AM
All we need now are two athletic freaks at ILB that can cover the opposing team's #1 WR and we're set!!!!
And Artie Burns to have his breakout year!!

Bluecoat96
12-31-2018, 10:25 AM
Gregg Williams!!!

The Browns are supposedly going after Mike McCarthy, which means Williams would be available.Williams would be good, but the old fart conservative in me thinks that he should have been permanently banned after the whole Bountygate thing.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

teegre
12-31-2018, 10:39 AM
He's great at what he does......except stopping the Ravens' running game. :chuckle:

He's super aggressive, and his defenses have been effective and they get turnovers.

Will the Steelers overlook his "Bountygate", and the audio of his talk to his defense telling them to "affect the head"? He preached going for the head of opposing players. I know that was a different time in the game with different rules, but I wonder if this would turn off the organization?

Oh yeah... good point. I could get over it, because everyone deserves a second chance. But, I’m not sure that theSteelers would’ve as forgiving (of someone outside of the organization).

- - - Updated - - -

Williams would be good, but the old fart conservative in me thinks that he should have been permanently banned after the whole Bountygate thing.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

see above

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-31-2018, 10:40 AM

Either that or he doesn't make the 53 at the upcoming training camp.

steelerdude15
12-31-2018, 10:41 AM

At this point, I'd rather trade him and try to get something out of him.

Mojouw
12-31-2018, 11:24 AM
Gregg Williams is a terrible human being. He will give quotes that undermine his own players and fellow coaches. But he gets results. So, sure?

teegre
12-31-2018, 11:25 AM
Gregg Williams is a terrible human being. He will give quotes that undermine his own players and fellow coaches. But he gets results. So, sure?

Mid it motivates Artie Burns into a legitimate CB2... undermine away. :lol:

st33lersguy
12-31-2018, 02:57 PM
I'd be in favor of Todd Bowles as well. The Rams and Bears (both resurgent) had veteran defensive coordinators with past success. That or successful young college coordinator

86WARD
12-31-2018, 03:04 PM
Its going to be Butler. He and Smith should’ve been let go already...

Mach1
12-31-2018, 03:22 PM
Tomlin can't lose his scapegoat.

Steeler Joe: I really want to understand: Help me. Does Keith Butler manage the defense or Mike Tomlin? What role does Tomlin have--is he in charge of the secondary? If so, should the blame for defensive secondary miscommunication fall to him instead of Butler? There has been a lot of "nudge" and "wink" stuff from PG staffers about the defense, and who is really in charge, but I'd like to hear it out loud and clear. Would firing Butler really resolve the issue? Or is Tomlin the problem?

Ray Fittipaldo: I can tell you Mike Tomlin is more involved in the defense than he has ever been. He let it slip in the postgame news conference after the Patriots* game that he was too distracted by arguing with an official that he failed to communicate the correct call to the secondary on the play where Chris Hogan scored. That kind of went unnoticed, but I noticed it. So he is obviously involved to the point where he is communicating calls on the field. Whether that's directly to players or through another coach does not matter. Will Keith Butler become the scapegoat? Perhaps. But there is going to come a time where the buck stops with Tomlin. The Rooneys like coaching continuity, but there is also a time for change. It will be interesting to see what Art Rooney Ii does.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/12/31/Ray-Fittipaldo-s-Steelers-chat-12-31-18/stories/201812310093

teegre
12-31-2018, 04:00 PM
Tomlin can't lose his scapegoat.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/12/31/Ray-Fittipaldo-s-Steelers-chat-12-31-18/stories/201812310093

If that’s an indication that Butler needs to be fired, nothing is.

Jimmy Johnson once said that a HC has to be 100% into the ins & outs of a game... and should NOT be distracted by being a OC or DC.

Tomlin having to call plays... summation: Butler should be GONE.

Mach1
12-31-2018, 04:14 PM
If that’s an indication that Butler needs to be fired, nothing is.

Jimmy Johnson once said that a HC has to be 100% into the ins & outs of a game... and should NOT be distracted by being a OC or DC.

Tomlin having to call plays... summation: Butler should be GONE.

He took over for Butler last year, yet retained him this year. Butler should have been gone at the end of last season.

teegre
12-31-2018, 04:17 PM
He took over for Butler last year, yet retained him this year. Butler should have been gone at the end of last season.

Yep... for some reason, ARII has forced Tomlin to keep LeBeau Junior.

It’s odd.

Shoes
12-31-2018, 04:19 PM
Yep... for some reason, ARII has forced Tomlin to keep LeBeau Junior.

It’s odd.

Something tells me AJRII has a full plate today. :chuckle:

teegre
12-31-2018, 04:20 PM
Something tells me AJRII has a full plate today. :chuckle:

...with a side of WTF.

Shoes
12-31-2018, 04:21 PM
...with a side of WTF.

:lol:

steelreserve
12-31-2018, 04:35 PM
I don't know how likely it is that Matt Patricia gets fired, but if so he would be worth a look.

Screw all this talk about a 3-4 versus a 4-3. The next successful defensive scheme in the NFL is going to be the 3-3-5 base, with the fifth DB that can assume any role from safety to CB to any of the linebacker positions in a 3-4 or a 4-3. I am convinced that whoever comes up with a way to execute that is going to be the dominant team that finally "solves" the pass-crazy nature of the league for the next few years, kind of the equivalent of how the Bears developed the 46 defense and dominated with it for a time.

The problem, of course, is that the fifth DB is such a crucial part of the whole thing that you are basically required to have Ronnie Lott playing it to be successful, and those kinds of players are of mythical rarity. So probably a couple of teams at any given time could pull it off. Great if you are one of them, because it makes copying it a lot harder and a lot of imitators will look stupid while trying with players who are not good enough.

I don't know if Edmunds is that kind of player or not, but I can only hope that pick was an indicator of the kind of strategy we are aiming for. With Butler, I doubt we're being that innovative, though.