PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Vs Bengals Winners And Losers

Shoes
12-30-2018, 08:04 PM
Your winners and losers from today.

https://steelersdepot.com/2018/12/steelers-vs-bengals-winners-and-losers-3/

pepsyman1
12-30-2018, 08:25 PM
Losers: Steelers fans who deserved a chance at a Super Bowl considering the talent on our roster.

Winners: Juju, Watt, Conners. Great sophomore years for those guys.

Craic
12-30-2018, 08:29 PM
Losers: Steelers fans who deserved a chance at a Super Bowl considering the talent on our roster.

Winners: Juju, Watt, Conners. Great sophomore years for those guys.

I sure hope you meant players who deserved a chance. Fans deserve nothing when it comes to winning and losing games or seasons.

pepsyman1
12-30-2018, 08:50 PM
I sure hope you meant players who deserved a chance. Fans deserve nothing when it comes to winning and losing games or seasons.

I'm not sure I agree with you. Football is entertainment, it's not real life. Fans are the ones who watch on TV or buy tickets to games which pays for everything. You asked for winners and losers, not who deserved anything. I think Steelers fans lost out this year. It's not like being in Cleveland but I think most Steelers fans feel like it was a lost season. Just my opinion

cubanstogie
12-30-2018, 08:59 PM
The talent on offense was great, D not so much. I don't know why everyone thinks if Tomlin was gone we would win a SB. Falcons have every bit the talent on offense we have and they are going home. It takes more than a great QB and 2 great WR's. Kicking game sucked, running game started off good then completely disappeared and Ben led league in picks. I appreciate Ben, for the last 15 years we knew we had a chance at going to SB and when he's gone it will be painful unless Rudolph exceeds expectations but leading league in pics is pathetic for an elite QB.

86WARD
12-30-2018, 08:59 PM
Money McCrane - Winner.

Rest of the Steelers and their fans are the losers.

NCSteeler
12-30-2018, 09:47 PM
I'm not sure I agree with you. Football is entertainment, it's not real life. Fans are the ones who watch on TV or buy tickets to games which pays for everything. You asked for winners and losers, not who deserved anything. I think Steelers fans lost out this year. It's not like being in Cleveland but I think most Steelers fans feel like it was a lost season. Just my opinionAgree. They are a venue of entertainment. Ultimately they are there to please us who pay the bills

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

The Bark
12-30-2018, 09:48 PM
I would say the biggest winner for the 2018 season is whomever wrote this article:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2776652-most-overrated-nfl-teams-heading-into-the-2018-season#slide1

"Winning close regular-season games can punch your card to the playoffs, but it does not translate year to year. Great teams aren't overwhelmingly better at winning games decided by one score; they're overwhelmingly better at winning games decided by multiple scores.This is an issue for the Pittsburgh Steelers, whose 8-2 record in games decided by seven points or fewer last season should serve as a red flag for a regression candidate."

Click the link to read the rest...

Shoes
12-30-2018, 09:51 PM
I would say the biggest winner for the 2018 season is whomever wrote this article:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2776652-most-overrated-nfl-teams-heading-into-the-2018-season#slide1

"Winning close regular-season games can punch your card to the playoffs, but it does not translate year to year. Great teams aren't overwhelmingly better at winning games decided by one score; they're overwhelmingly better at winning games decided by multiple scores.This is an issue for the Pittsburgh Steelers, whose 8-2 record in games decided by seven points or fewer last season should serve as a red flag for a regression candidate."

Interesting, that was written in May.

NCSteeler
12-30-2018, 10:06 PM

Click the link to read the rest...Ha an article wrote in May nails the Steelers and Panthers as regressing because they depends on winning close games.

pczach
12-31-2018, 05:36 AM

I didn't realize that the person who wrote the article was clairvoyant.

He already knew that Martavis Bryant was traded for a draft pick this year, and wouldn't play a snap for the Steelers.

He already knew that Shazier would miss the entire season and the team would by paying his $8 million dollar salary.

He had to know that Le'Veon Bell, the best RB in the NFL, would be the first player in history that was given the franchise tag and hold out the entire season. He wouldn't play a single snap for the team this year while still taking up $14.5 million in cap space. He had to know.

He had to know that Marcus Gilbert would only start 5 games this year due to injuries and be placed on Injured Reserve.

For those keeping score, that is 4 impact players from last year and 3 Pro Bowl caliber players that played a total of 5 games between them this entire season.

Every single team in the NFL would be devastated with the loss of that many impact players. I know that nobody wants to make excuses, but when you step back and look at the legitimate loss of talent and the financial hits they have taken.....it's not that surprising.

I will keep posting this to try to drive home the point of how badly this team was hurt by the loss of these players and the salary cap room taken up by players that weren't on the field for various reasons. They had $22.5 million in cap space taken up by Shazier and Bell that they couldn't spend to help the team. That's a ton of money.

It's not anyone's fault. It's just something that happened and now they move forward.

These are reasons, not excuses.

The Bark
12-31-2018, 07:52 AM
I didn't realize that the person who wrote the article was clairvoyant.

He already knew that Martavis Bryant was traded for a draft pick this year, and wouldn't play a snap for the Steelers.

He already knew that Shazier would miss the entire season and the team would by paying his $8 million dollar salary.

He had to know that Le'Veon Bell, the best RB in the NFL, would be the first player in history that was given the franchise tag and hold out the entire season. He wouldn't play a single snap for the team this year while still taking up $14.5 million in cap space. He had to know.

He had to know that Marcus Gilbert would only start 5 games this year due to injuries and be placed on Injured Reserve.

For those keeping score, that is 4 impact players from last year and 3 Pro Bowl caliber players that played a total of 5 games between them this entire season.

Every single team in the NFL would be devastated with the loss of that many impact players. I know that nobody wants to make excuses, but when you step back and look at the legitimate loss of talent and the financial hits they have taken.....it's not that surprising.

I will keep posting this to try to drive home the point of how badly this team was hurt by the loss of these players and the salary cap room taken up by players that weren't on the field for various reasons. They had $22.5 million in cap space taken up by Shazier and Bell that they couldn't spend to help the team. That's a ton of money.

It's not anyone's fault. It's just something that happened and now they move forward.

These are reasons, not excuses.

I'll nullify all of what you just wrote in a single sentence: The Steelers, 14 point favorites playing at home with everything on the line yesterday, beat a severely depleted Bengals team by three points in the final minutes on the toes of a kicker signed 48 hours earlier.

pczach
12-31-2018, 08:17 AM
I'll nullify all of what you just wrote in a single sentence: The Steelers, 14 point favorites playing at home with everything on the line yesterday, beat a severely depleted Bengals team by three points in the final minutes on the toes of a kicker signed 48 hours earlier.

With all the players I listed above still not playing a single snap.

Boswell out. The replacement kicker couldn't reach the end zone on kickoffs giving better field position to the Bengals all game.

No Bell

No Shazier

No Gilbert

No AB.

No Vince Williams.

No Sean Davis.

Conner was a game-time decision and played hurt.

JuJu is still banged up with a groin injury.

So 7 starters out and it has to be explained why they aren't blowing other teams off the field? Really?

They got the job done. It's never easy. Ask the Ravens how easy their game was.

The Bark
12-31-2018, 10:45 AM
With all the players I listed above still not playing a single snap.

Boswell out. The replacement kicker couldn't reach the end zone on kickoffs giving better field position to the Bengals all game.

No Bell

No Shazier

No Gilbert

No AB.

No Vince Williams.

No Sean Davis.

Conner was a game-time decision and played hurt.

JuJu is still banged up with a groin injury.

So 7 starters out and it has to be explained why they aren't blowing other teams off the field? Really?

They got the job done. It's never easy. Ask the Ravens how easy their game was.

I don't even know why you're mentioning Shazier. He's been out over a year and isn't coming back so at what point can you actually justify "missing him?" He wasn't part of the team this year; move on.

Same with Bell. To say the offense missed him is odd. In what way? The passing game? Ben just had a career year. In the running game? Didn't Conner and Samuel just average more yards per carry than Bell last year? Didn't Conner just score more TDs than Bell did, too? In fewer games? There wasn't much talk about missing Bell when the Steelers got out to a 7-2-1 start. And just for comparisons sake, there were plenty of games last year where Bell wasn't effective.

As for the Steeler injuries - my point in referencing yesterday's game is SO WHAT? The Bengals lost a couple of players during the game and already had 12 out on IR, including their starting QB and best WR. If the Steelers were missing Ben, then yeah, expectations would have been a lot lower. Gilbert hasn't played since week four when the team was what, 1-2-1? Seemed like they played better for a long stretch without him. No Sean Davis? Yeah, his presence was sorely missed against Driskel's golden arm and 95 yards passing.

In the end, and back to the original point of the article, when you step back and see the Steelers have been walking a fine line with so many close games, it's not surprising to see that, yes, statistically they held true to the author's point in that they were due for a regressive season.

pczach
12-31-2018, 10:56 AM
I don't even know why you're mentioning Shazier. He's been out over a year and isn't coming back so at what point can you actually justify "missing him?" He wasn't part of the team this year; move on.

Same with Bell. To say the offense missed him is odd. In what way? The passing game? Ben just had a career year. In the running game? Didn't Conner and Samuel just average more yards per carry than Bell last year? Didn't Conner just score more TDs than Bell did, too? In fewer games? There was much talk about missing Bell when the Steelers got out to a 7-2-1 start. And just for comparisons sake, there were plenty of games last year where Bell wasn't effective.

As for the Steeler injuries - my point in referencing yesterday's game is SO WHAT? The Bengals lost a couple of players during the game and already had 12 out on IR, including their starting QB and best WR. If the Steelers were missing Ben, then yeah, expectations would have been a lot lower. Gilbert hasn't played since week four when the team was what, 1-2-1? Seemed like they played better for a long stretch without him. No Sean Davis? Yeah, his presence was sorely missed against Driskel's golden arm and 95 yards passing.

In the end, and back to the original point of the article, when you step back and see the Steelers have been walking a fine line with so many close games, it's not surprising to see that, yes, statistically they held true to the author's point in that they were due for a regressive season.

Look, I'm commenting on the guy that wrote the article...not you. Unless you wrote the article. It's the only way I would understand why you're getting so fired up when I comment on his article.

Shazier's loss was devastating. You don't just replace an All-Pro LB. It set the team back and they still paid his salary as it came out of the salary cap instead of going towards other players or his replacement. What's not to understand?

Bell was supposed to be on the roster. He didn't play a down. They couldn't use his salary to pay someone else. He also would have either started or been the backup to Conner. When Conner got injured, Bell would have played. Do you think they still lose all those games and abandon the running game? Their entire depth chart is better. Ridley isn't even on the team. How do you not understand that?

It's the NFL. Games are hard to win. The Steelers lost a ton of players and couldn't use a significant portion of the salary cap.

Nothing I stated is false or hard to understand. If you want to let your emotions eat you up so much that you can't understand some simple inarguable points......continue.

NCSteeler
12-31-2018, 02:47 PM
Look, I'm commenting on the guy that wrote the article...not you. Unless you wrote the article. It's the only way I would understand why you're getting so fired up when I comment on his article.

Shazier's loss was devastating. You don't just replace an All-Pro LB. It set the team back and they still paid his salary as it came out of the salary cap instead of going towards other players or his replacement. What's not to understand?

Bell was supposed to be on the roster. He didn't play a down. They couldn't use his salary to pay someone else. He also would have either started or been the backup to Conner. When Conner got injured, Bell would have played. Do you think they still lose all those games and abandon the running game? Their entire depth chart is better. Ridley isn't even on the team. How do you not understand that?

It's the NFL. Games are hard to win. The Steelers lost a ton of players and couldn't use a significant portion of the salary cap.

Nothing I stated is false or hard to understand. If you want to let your emotions eat you up so much that you can't understand some simple inarguable points......continue.The guy that wrote the article only really made the analysis that the Steelers were not that food of a team as seemed last year and we're do for a fall back. The analysis is that teams that win a lot of close games regress in future seasons because close games are a bit of a crap shoot (especially with the current refs).

Eagles and cowboys this year have a point differential in the teens. Both in the palyoffs, Steelers point differential is around 100 . Who do you think will be better next season

Hawkman
12-31-2018, 03:55 PM

Nothing I stated is false or hard to understand. If you want to let your emotions eat you up so much that you can't understand some simple inarguable points......continue.

People don’t really realize the the set backs from players.....hurt that don’t, can’t perform. I’ll get killed for this, but....Shazier, (obviously) Golson, (good potential), Spence (should have been a career ending injury, we gave him a second go round). Marvel Smith, (always the back). Kendall Simmons (diabetes). We forget, we spent a l lot of time replacing high draft choices to replace/repair positions of need. We rebuilt the O-line and hired Munch, just to keep Ben alive. How many “our O-line sucks" threads were started. You don’t get a guy like Farrior who can call an entire defense....every day. You don’t get a guy like Troy......everyday. Shazier was close, but damn if he didn’t have a technique issue. This is just a post to help people get perspective. Won’t work, but I said it.

vader29
01-03-2019, 04:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx6D1bMrUh8

"The only good thing about the season being over is that there's no more drama."

st33lersguy
01-03-2019, 04:16 PM
Losers: Anyone who sat through that game.

SteelerFan091472
01-03-2019, 07:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrDVhAErxEQ&feature=share

Fire Goodell
01-03-2019, 09:12 PM

Bullshit, without the fans there is NO Steelers. It's the demand that creates that market. Without us they're some idiot jocks that end up being bouncers at your local dive bar

teegre
01-03-2019, 09:38 PM
Losers: Anyone who sat through that game.

I enjoyed it...