PDA

View Full Version : Harrison Blames Tomlin For 2018 Season; Discredits His Super Bowl Championship

Shoes
12-27-2018, 06:03 PM
Unless they win on Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals and get some help from the Cleveland Browns the Pittsburgh Steelers will fail to make the playoffs in 2018 and it will mark the first time since 2013 that such an event has happened. With the Steelers now on the verge of failing to make the playoffs this season, former outside linebacker James Harrison made it clear during a Thursday interview on The Undisputed that head coach Mike Tomlin should receive all the blame for the team’s disappointing 2018 campaign.

https://steelersdepot.com/2018/12/harrison-blames-tomlin-for-2018-season-discredits-his-super-bowl-championship/

AtlantaDan
12-27-2018, 06:07 PM
Well since Terry Bradshaw is not going to be around forever to bitch about the team that made him, good to see the torch is being passed to a new generation that grasps for attention the same way

Shoes
12-27-2018, 06:39 PM
Well since Terry Bradshaw is not going to be around forever to bitch about the team that made him, good to see the torch is being passed to a new generation that grasps for attention the same way

Probably still some bitterness in Harrison. I can understand Harrison's frustration when Tomlin tells James had a plan for him and never tells him what that plan was. Harrison said he spoke with AJRII about it and he didn't know what the plan was either. I don't think Harrison is making things up.

st33lersguy
12-27-2018, 07:16 PM
You can almost smell the bitterness

Dwinsgames
12-27-2018, 07:34 PM
you can call it sour grapes / bitterness if you want , however to sit there and act like he does not have some valid points would be foolish ... he has not stated anything that has not been said 1000 times here so maybe we all are bitter then ?

you can have an opinion and it be just that an opinion without there being ulterior motives ...

his opinion just so happens to have some first hand Birdseye view attached to it ...

why were people not so critical of Ryan Clark when he was critical of the team ??

st33lersguy
12-27-2018, 08:06 PM
you can call it sour grapes / bitterness if you want , however to sit there and act like he does not have some valid points would be foolish ... he has not stated anything that has not been said 1000 times here so maybe we all are bitter then ?

you can have an opinion and it be just that an opinion without there being ulterior motives ...

his opinion just so happens to have some first hand Birdseye view attached to it ...

why were people not so critical of Ryan Clark when he was critical of the team ??

Just because he's right, doesn't mean he isn't a bitter asshole, and doesn't change the way he got his release from the team.

Like the Dude said "You're not wrong, you're just an asshole"

DesertSteel
12-27-2018, 09:35 PM
Probably still some bitterness in Harrison. I can understand Harrison's frustration when Tomlin tells James had a plan for him and never tells him what that plan was. Harrison said he spoke with AJRII about it and he didn't know what the plan was either. I don't think Harrison is making things up.
But we know this how? Because Harrison says so? Is there another verifiable source on this narrative?

Shoes
12-27-2018, 09:43 PM
But we know this how? Because Harrison says so? Is there another verifiable source on this narrative?

Well because he said it, and he said it on a national sports program and named Tomlin and AJRII and this plan of Tomlins. Tomlin and Rooney could discredit him easily and end his talk show appearances if it wasn't true.

DesertSteel
12-27-2018, 09:47 PM
Well because he said it, and he said it on a national sports program and named Tomlin and AJRII and this plan of Tomlins. Tomlin and Rooney could discredit him easily and end his talk show appearances if it wasn't true.
Tomlin and Rooney aren't going to defend themselves over what Harrison says on Colin Cowherd! Besides, every player is given the 'we have a plan for you' speech. Watt developed and the plan changed. Happens all the time, not just Harrison. He acts like he had some special pinky promise. I don't buy it.

Shoes
12-27-2018, 09:56 PM
Tomlin and Rooney aren't going to defend themselves over what Harrison says on Colin Cowherd! Besides, every player is given the 'we have a plan for you' speech. Watt developed and the plan changed. Happens all the time, not just Harrison. He acts like he had some special pinky promise. I don't buy it.

So you think Harrison is lying? By the way, I was all for Tomlin playing Watt over Harrison.

DesertSteel
12-27-2018, 10:13 PM
So you think Harrison is lying? By the way, I was all for Tomlin playing Watt over Harrison.
Probably just a situation of bending the story to your side, more than lying. He heard what he wanted to hear in the situation and it didn't work out. He was a good football player in his prime, but he's still a jerk.

86WARD
12-28-2018, 06:37 AM
Lol. Who cares if he’s bitter or not...clearly he’s not that bitter since he still attends team events, still raffles off his old uniform and equipment, still raffles off his STEELERS seats, still has his Debo clothes in black and gold...

Ike Taylor, Terry Bradshaw, Ryan Clark, James Harrison, Jerome Bettie’s, Rocky Bleier, they’ve all been critical of the team...they’ve all spoken the truth. Doesn’t mean they are bitter...lol. It’s their job to give an honest opinion.

Once again, people bitch when ex-players/current players tow the company line and then when they speak their mind, they get criticized for it. Maybe James should’ve just come out and blown Tomlin on what a “great” job he and his coaching staff have done this season...that would’ve went over just as well.

vader29
12-28-2018, 07:02 AM

Watt should have played over Harrison, but Harrison should have been playing over Dupree a whole lot more than he did last season and that has to be on the coaches.

86WARD
12-28-2018, 07:04 AM
Watt should have played over Harrison, but Harrison should have been playing over Dupree a whole lot more than he did last season and that has to be on the coaches.

This is the key statement here. Watt/Harrison isn’t the debate...the true debate is Dupree/Harrison and that’s not really a debate.

pepsyman1
12-28-2018, 07:26 AM
This is the key statement here. Watt/Harrison isn’t the debate...the true debate is Dupree/Harrison and that’s not really a debate.

More like Dupree/tackling dummy. Lol

teegre
12-28-2018, 07:26 AM

Harrison could not play against RTs. That’s why he couldn’t beat out (an average) Clark Haggans. Harrison couldn’t do it at 25, let alone at 35.

Now... maybe the Steelers should have had Watt switch sides (which they did this season), but you generally have your “best” OLB go up against LTs. And, no one... no one... was suggesting that Watt switch sides: no coach, no analyst, no talking head, no forum member, no one.

AtlantaDan
12-28-2018, 07:52 AM

Leaving aside the fact that he knows he is unlikey to get an invite from a hot take show to say what a great job Tomlin is doing, Harrison gave away where he is coming from by riding the “Tomlin only won with Cowher’s players” hobby horse (which I agree tiresomely has been said a 1000 times before)

Fun fact - Tomlin undermined Harrison so much he made him a starter

pczach
12-28-2018, 09:05 AM
Does Harrison's morphing into a locker room cancer discredit his accomplishments?

No?

Shut the fuck up James.

Mojouw
12-28-2018, 10:45 AM
Harrison could not play against RTs. That’s why he couldn’t beat out (an average) Clark Haggans. Harrison couldn’t do it at 25, let alone at 35.

Now... maybe the Steelers should have had Watt switch sides (which they did this season), but you generally have your “best” OLB go up against LTs. And, no one... no one... was suggesting that Watt switch sides: no coach, no analyst, no talking head, no forum member, no one.

What gets lost in all this is that Harrison was not good in his limited run with the Pats and was part of a linebacker corps that got targeted and exposed as not good enough by the Eagles in the SB. Then, the Pats let him go and NO ONE comes calling. Usually if a guy is viewed as having anything left, even if he swears he is retired, someone talks him out of it and brings him in as a limited role pass rusher. Didn’t happen.

James Harrison thinks he can still play at a high level. He cant and he is the only one who doesnt know it.

Michael
12-28-2018, 10:53 AM
The body of work or the so called evidence is IMO so over whelming Mike Tomlin is a combination of a boring shallow bullshitter, and a dim witted coach. For me there is no gray area. Being a cheer leader does not cut it.

The Steelers deserve better but if this charade keeps being allowed to happen the Steelers are going to get what they deserve. This possibility really concerns me.

EzraTank
12-29-2018, 12:33 PM
Tomlin won one Superbowl with mostly Cowher's players and Ben/James saving his ass in that game (100 yard INT return, Ben's 4th quarter drive & pass to Holmes). Then in 2010, he loses to a 6th seed that backed into the playoffs the last weekend of the season.

With all the talent Tomlin has been handed we easily should have 1-2+ more Superbowl wins instead he loses games to teams like the Raiders this year, let's Jacksonville's Blake Bortles put up 45 points on him at home with his locker room talking about the "rematch". The 15 point thread (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/29758-15-reasons-Art-Rooney-Jr-should-fire-Tomlin-after-this-game) sums it up perfectly why he should be fired so I won't rehash it but the guy just doesn't get it. As funny as it was, what coach in the history of the game ever did what he did against the Ravens almost tripping the punt returner? He's a clown and his locker room shows it.

teegre
12-29-2018, 01:22 PM
Tomlin won one Superbowl with mostly Cowher's players and Ben/James saving his ass in that game (100 yard INT return, Ben's 4th quarter drive & pass to Holmes). Then in 2010, he loses to a 6th seed that backed into the playoffs the last weekend of the season.

With all the talent Tomlin has been handed we easily should have 1-2+ more Superbowl wins instead he loses games to teams like the Raiders this year, let's Jacksonville's Blake Bortles put up 45 points on him at home with his locker room talking about the "rematch". The 15 point thread (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/29758-15-reasons-Art-Rooney-Jr-should-fire-Tomlin-after-this-game) sums it up perfectly why he should be fired so I won't rehash it but the guy just doesn't get it. As funny as it was, what coach in the history of the game ever did what he did against the Ravens almost tripping the punt returner? He's a clown and his locker room shows it.

Look, there are plenty of reasons to dislike Tomlin, without having to tweak the facts.

Harrison’s INT return was a direct result of Tomlin having the defenders practice returns the week leading up to the Super Bowl. Ike picked off a pass in practice, and the defense dogged it on the return. Tomlin chewed them out and had them practice returns (over & over).

Cowher tried to stiffle Ben in Super Bowl XL. Tomlin let Ben be Ben. How is that a bad thing???

Ben spotted the Jags 14 points. So, Bortles did not put up 45 on us. 31 is still bad enough, but it wasn’t 45.

Again, there’s plenty to dislike... without embellishing what really happened.

Shoes
12-29-2018, 01:30 PM

Good thing James trusted his own instincts and not LeBeau or there wouldn't have been a SB win.

hawaiiansteeler
12-29-2018, 06:07 PM
Does Harrison's morphing into a locker room cancer discredit his accomplishments?

No?

Shut the fuck up James.

I agree, it's time for Deebo to move on...

Steeldude
12-29-2018, 06:31 PM
Is Harrison wrong?

I love how Harrison still triggers the Dupree fans. Haha

86WARD
12-30-2018, 06:40 AM
Look, there are plenty of reasons to dislike Tomlin, without having to tweak the facts.

Harrison’s INT return was a direct result of Tomlin having the defenders practice returns the week leading up to the Super Bowl. Ike picked off a pass in practice, and the defense dogged it on the return. Tomlin chewed them out and had them practice returns (over & over).

Cowher tried to stiffle Ben in Super Bowl XL. Tomlin let Ben be Ben. How is that a bad thing???

Ben spotted the Jags 14 points. So, Bortles did not put up 45 on us. 31 is still bad enough, but it wasn’t 45.

Again, there’s plenty to dislike... without embellishing what really happened.

But Harrison’s assignment on that play was to blitz and he saw something before snap and decided to drop back and made the play. From what I remember, Tomlin had nothing to do with that portion of the play...

pczach
12-30-2018, 06:53 AM
But Harrison’s assignment on that play was to blitz and he saw something before snap and decided to drop back and made the play. From what I remember, Tomlin had nothing to do with that portion of the play...

Tomlin had nothing to do with that play......other than the fact that Tomlin named him the starting OLB instead of Cowher that cut him 4 times.

Other than that.....Tomlin had nothing to do with it. :chuckle:

teegre
12-30-2018, 11:24 AM

That is correct. Harrison saw something on tape that made him think to drop back into coverage.

Now... was that due to coaching or not? Who knows.

Those who support Tomlin will say that he took a young LB who once “stood over an opposing player preening while the play continued behind him” to a guy who “watched film/made a smart decision.” Those who do not like Tomlin will say it was 100% Harrison (“James never needed to be coached up”). In all likelihood, it’s a little of both.

The return, though... was 100% in response to Tomlin’s coaching.

Dwinsgames
12-30-2018, 11:42 AM
That is correct. Harrison saw something on tape that made him think to drop back into coverage.

Now... was that due to coaching or not? Who knows.

Those who support Tomlin will say that he took a young LB who once “stood over an opposing player preening while the play continued behind him” to a guy who “watched film/made a smart decision.” Those who do not like Tomlin will say it was 100% Harrison (“James never needed to be coached up”). In all likelihood, it’s a little of both.

The return, though... was 100% in response to Tomlin’s coaching.

sorry bro I still am not a buyer ..

I believe and always will believe Harrison is a me against the world player , a guy who is driven to succeed and overcome .....

he seen something on film , made an adjustment and made the play then it was his alpha male mentality kicking in and he was a man on a mission and in his mind nobody was going to stop him ... he was right ( almost wasn't but was right ) .....

is that my fandom of Harrison's play style , perhaps a little but I also believe its fairly accurate ......

is that my disdain for the direction of this football team under Tomlin the last half dozen or so years , I would like to think not and that I can see past that at whats transpired ....

can anyone be 1000% certain of either no .... but I am comfortable with it

teegre
12-30-2018, 11:45 AM
sorry bro I still am not a buyer ..

I believe and always will believe Harrison is a me against the world player , a guy who is driven to succeed and overcome .....

he seen something on film , made an adjustment and made the play then it was his alpha male mentality kicking in and he was a man on a mission and in his mind nobody was going to stop him ... he was right ( almost wasn't but was right ) .....

is that my fandom of Harrison's play style , perhaps a little but I also believe its fairly accurate ......

is that my disdain for the direction of this football team under Tomlin the last half dozen or so years , I would like to think not and that I can see past that at whats transpired ....

can anyone be 1000% certain of either no .... but I am comfortable with it

Troy, Ike, LaMarr, and wven James disagree with you.

They’re all on record (America’s Game) talking about it.

Dwinsgames
12-30-2018, 11:47 AM
Troy, Ike, LaMarr, and wven James disagree with you.

They’re all on record (America’s Game) talking about it.

I will have to check that out

Born2Steel
12-30-2018, 11:48 AM
The James Harrison SB play was an anomaly. Yes it was a great play by a great Steeler, but no coach coaches that play. It was a play made by a player in that moment. The big picture, if you choose to look at it, is exactly what Teegre alludes to. A raw LB(Harrison) was taught how to play his position by his coaches(Tomlin and co). Film study tipped the play, not something innate. For Harrison to come out now and "discredit" Tomlin's role in that SB team is sour grapes and his need for attention again.

Dwinsgames
12-30-2018, 02:37 PM
The James Harrison SB play was an anomaly. Yes it was a great play by a great Steeler, but no coach coaches that play. It was a play made by a player in that moment. The big picture, if you choose to look at it, is exactly what Teegre alludes to. A raw LB(Harrison) was taught how to play his position by his coaches(Tomlin and co). Film study tipped the play, not something innate. For Harrison to come out now and "discredit" Tomlin's role in that SB team is sour grapes and his need for attention again.

sorry if I am unwilling to give Mike Tomlin credit for James Harrison's ability to play football ....

James had 4 years in the organization before Tomlin got here ..

4 years with a HC that was a former linebacker himself ...

4 years with Lebeau as his DC and Butler as his pos coach

so to throw away that foundation and give its credit to Mike Tomlin to me is ridiculous

pczach
12-30-2018, 03:25 PM
sorry if I am unwilling to give Mike Tomlin credit for James Harrison's ability to play football ....

so to throw away that foundation and give its credit to Mike Tomlin to me is ridiculous

Yeah, but James discrediting Tomlin is ridiculous. James Harrison was cut multiple times by Cowher. LeBeau has always been the guy that Harrison gave credit to for learning the game. He barely sniffed the field under Cowher. Tomlin identified him as a great player and put him in the best situation to succeed. LeBeau was also his defensive coordinator under Cowher, but that success didn't really happen until Tomlin got there. He only had 8 games started for his entire career until Tomlin got there.....and that was only because of injury.

Here are Harrison's career stats and shows how much impact he had with the Steelers while Cowher was there. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HarrJa23.htm

Sorry, but James Harrison has nothing to stand on here with his comments. He of all people should know better.

The other thing is that who gets credit for any player playing football or putting them in position to make plays? If you look at it the way you just stated it above, no coach would ever matter in any way. It wouldn't matter who the coach is, and we both know that's not accurate.

Steeldude
12-30-2018, 03:27 PM

Exactly.

st33lersguy
12-30-2018, 05:52 PM
What does T.O. Harrison care anyway

ALLD
12-30-2018, 06:25 PM
When you need to rely on the Browns to win to make the playoffs, Harrison might have a point.

pczach
12-30-2018, 06:43 PM
When you need to rely on the Browns to win to make the playoffs, Harrison might have a point.

So needing the Browns to win a game to get into the playoffs a decade later makes Harrison's point? Alrighty then...……….