PDA

View Full Version : Who Is Calling the Plays on Defense?

Shoes
12-27-2018, 03:47 PM
Most here think Butler should go and I'm one of them. But Tomlin has his hands in this defense also. He took over a portion of the defensive playcalling last year. He's also has been involved in the secondary? So how much is Tomlin involved in the defense now, why the mystery?

Here is a piece from January 2018

https://steelersdepot.com/2018/01/bouchette-mike-tomlin-ran-steelers-defense-2017/

DesertSteel
12-27-2018, 04:27 PM
Butler will probably get an extension...

Shoes
12-27-2018, 04:41 PM
Butler will probably get an extension...

That's what I'm thinking because Tomlin is probably calling more of the plays. If you notice most NFL coaches play cards are about a foot square, Tomlin's & Butlers are 3x5 card size. :chuckle:

Mojouw
12-27-2018, 04:46 PM
Can't get my phone to link to it. But there is a good piece on Behind the Steel Curtain by Nick Fairbaugh (??) About this. Makes a fairly convincing argument that Butler is what doesn't work and Tomlin is what does work.

Shoes
12-27-2018, 04:47 PM
Can't get my phone to link to it. But there is a good piece on Behind the Steel Curtain by Nick Fairbaugh (??) About this. Makes a fairly convincing argument that Butler is what doesn't work and Tomlin is what does work.

If that is so, Butler should be gone now. If he stays it can only mean Tomlin has had more say so in the D.

Mojouw is this it?

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/12/27/18155651/if-the-steelers-dont-do-anything-else-at-seasons-end-they-must-fire-keith-butler-mike-tomlin-nfl

Born2Steel
12-27-2018, 06:14 PM
Maybe the Browns let Williams go? Either that or make him the HC. Do we think he will go back to the DC role but under a different HC? Maybe?

If Butler is the villain in this defense and not just the scapegoat, I am all in on finding a replacement first thing Monday morning. But who? Haley as OC butted heads with everyone yet succeeded here for a while. Fichtner seems to get along with everyone and let's Ben QB sneak(I know that's fun for everyone). So it's not a nice guy/asshole quandary. Should our DC come with more 'FIRE' than LeBeau, err uh I mean Butler? If the article speaks true then maybe Tomlin should just take over DC duties as well. I've seen Todd Bowles' name on here a few times. Bowles did have some pretty good defenses in AZ and might make a good DC here, but I think he still has HC aspirations. And the Ravens, Browns, Bengals, Falcons, Panthers, 49ers, Broncos, Dolphins, Cards, and Packers could all be in the market for a new one. Maybe coax Dean Pees away from the Titans? Romeo Crennel anyone?

Mojouw
12-27-2018, 07:39 PM
If that is so, Butler should be gone now. If he stays it can only mean Tomlin has had more say so in the D.

Mojouw is this it?

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/12/27/18155651/if-the-steelers-dont-do-anything-else-at-seasons-end-they-must-fire-keith-butler-mike-tomlin-nfl

Yeah. That's the one.

lipps83
12-27-2018, 09:10 PM
I loved that article!

This junk that Butler throws out there hasn't worked since 2009-10. He never should have been gifted that job. That was a huge screw up by the organization.

Everyone talks about the genius that Lebeau was, nobody ever mentions all the 4th quarter comebacks he allowed (49'ers vs Bengals SB the biggest).

Shoes
12-28-2018, 11:04 AM
Tyler Eifert

86WARD
12-28-2018, 01:28 PM
Tyler Eifert

Mic drop?

hawaiiansteeler
12-28-2018, 01:51 PM
Tyler Eifert

I'll be sure to start Tyler Eifert this Sunday in my fantasy football championship game! :crazy:

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-28-2018, 01:51 PM
Everyone talks about the genius that Lebeau was, nobody ever mentions all the 4th quarter comebacks he allowed (49'ers vs Bengals SB the biggest).

Yeah, Joe Montana never had any success vs defenses in the NFL, let along with Rice, Craig, Taylor, Rathman on the offense. So it had to be Dick LeBeau on the field for the Bengals in that game, because I cant recall anybody in that Bengals secondary that was a decent player. Some guy named Bussey??

LeBeau created the Fire Zone Blitz to counter the West Coast offense. He also routinely guided top 10 defenses in the NFL and somehow got a mustard colored jersey from Canton. He must have been terrible. :sarcasm2:

As for playcalling. Its likely Butler and he has shown to be guiding an offense of young talented players that doesn't play with intensity, pride or to the whistle. His stats aren't bad, but somehow I think that when he is replaced the Steelers will have even better defensive performances.